Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

2 hours ago, stupid said:

I finally got a chance to play A20, and damn there was a lot of work put into this. The new city prefabs look like actual city architecture, and everything fits together nicely. Clearing an entire town solo used to be easy, but I'll probably never be able to do that again with the size and complexity they offer now, which is cool.

With how much content the game has, I think the trader missions could have a lot more variety, like destroying a radio tower, repairing a structure, refueling some generators, planting some food, or building and installing some turrets at the trader post. Maybe there could be some items which could only be obtained through trader missions.

The one trope I'm not thrilled with are all of the surprise attacks behind every closet door, or trying to avoid the trigger which causes everything to wake up and fall from the ceiling at once, or other beginner traps. I would like to come across a regular building that seems empty, but is home to just one very nasty creature- so nasty that you would consider coming back later, or maybe using your construction skills to cordon off its paths with blocks and bars to give you an actual chance at killing it. Difficulty shouldn't be confined to turning every POI into a labyrinth.

As fun as the dungeon POIs can be, we definitely want to add more remnants as well since those offer a different gameplay experience.

The new restore power quest will most likely undergo some more gameplay improvements as well.

19 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

As fun as the dungeon POIs can be, we definitely want to add more remnants as well since those offer a different gameplay experience.

The new restore power quest will most likely undergo some more gameplay improvements as well.

What are remnants?

12 hours ago, Survior said:

That's a horrible idea, you kill an animal and you can't even fill your gut as it is. If you kill a bear you shouldn't have to worry about food for a couple of weeks.

Sure, but then you also will see a bear once in 5 years.

Food is supposed to be a struggle in the game. If one bear could generate food for weeks your food problems would be over by day 3.

If you have problems with immersion, just assume most of the bear meat is unusable and you can only use the liver for cooking

8 minutes ago, meganoth said:

If you have problems with immersion, just assume most of the bear meat is unusable and you can only use the liver for cooking

Only a person who has never field dressed and butchered a bear with a shard of bone in the wilderness with no refrigeration, all by themselves and with frequent wandering packs of coyotes and dire wolves would think that only getting a few meals out of it is not immersive

10 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Something like boss zombie? 🙏

54 minutes ago, meilodasreh said:

You mean on the streets, naked?

OOPS HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!

I'd take naked in a zombie-infested landscape over a bar full of revelers any day! Which is why I just popped up the recliner and have my laptop ready to go bring in the New Year in the seed that @Ricowanposted earlier. :D Happy Zombie New Year!

13 hours ago, Lord Morphleyes said:

Only a person who has never field dressed and butchered a bear with a shard of bone in the wilderness with no refrigeration, all by themselves and with frequent wandering packs of coyotes and dire wolves would think that only getting a few meals out of it is not immersive

And if you roll up with a 4x4, use a sniper rifle and bring a steel knife (and all the other tools) to bring that back to a base to a house with generators (and a kitchen with a freezer) will that will you still be immersed? Because only someone who didn't grow up in a hunting family wouldn't know that a deer will feed a family of four ever day for a week at least, a bear.. I can't even imagine.. Also, outside of the summer time you can hang a deer carcass for several days without spoilage even without electricity.

15 hours ago, Lord Morphleyes said:

Adding food spoilage would solve some things wrong with food survival in 7D2D.

Counters to food spoilage could add more challenge:  Refrigeration which would need power (Ether with a generator or moving near a POI with a completed "Restore Power" quest).  

It all completes a nice plot arc.

If you demand hardcore realism you should not play a game that includes zombies in the first place but rather switch to flight simulator or something. A bear gives you 50 meat which feeds your character for 1-3 days, depending on cooking skills and activities. That are a few hours of playtime where you don't have to worry about starving. Sounds good to me.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

I've noticed, when you attack a zombie, especially fast, their attack completely misses you, even if they are right up in your face. Is this intentional?
I just watched a video from Games4Kickz, and he was stabbing a feral Moe with light knife attacks and all of Moe's attacks never connected.

Archived