Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

43 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

@Doomofman

I found your inquiry to Khaine here.  

Just because he says it works for him and others that doesn't automatically mean its not a mod issue.  The error you are getting is definitely a XUI error which tells me its probably related.

My best advice to you is to disable/remove the mod, revalidate your files and retest. 

If you continue to get the errors with the mod disabled, then repost your new output log in your bug report so we can continue investigating the issue.

If it only happens with the mod enabled, then it is definitely an issue with it or how you are installing the mod.

I'm gonna play devils advocate here.

The user is complaining about the lockable storage mod not working. Which does work.

It is also QUITE LITERALLY TFP CODE THAT IS COMMENTED OUT.

That's it. I just removed the bits to comment it out.

15 minutes ago, KhaineGB said:

The user is complaining about the lockable storage mod not working. Which does work.

I am not intimate with the code in question but perhaps that is one reason why its not implemented in vanilla yet.  Its not fully tested and/or there are issues with it.

It seems the doom is fine for now so hopefully things are good for now.

😎

23 minutes ago, KhaineGB said:

5 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

I am not intimate with the code in question but perhaps that is one reason why its not implemented in vanilla yet.  Its not fully tested and/or there are issues with it.

It seems the doom is fine for now so hopefully things are good for now.

😎

At the end of the day I should have been less of an @%$# towards TFP in my response to that user.

I did follow the right avenues between the bug report and asking Khaine about any known issues and then subsequently reinstalling everything which seems to have done the trick for the time being.

The lockable inventory slots are a QOL enhancement I just can't play the game without anymore

1 minute ago, KhaineGB said:

It was in.... A19 for sure, and possibly A18 too. The only issue i've found with it is that it doesn't save slots when logging out and back in.

Which is fine since I figured it's not finished.

Yep, that is one of the dangers of modding in code that was commented out.

Chances are the commented code was not tested by QA in the numerous builds leading up to the A20 release.

Point being, just because it wasn't your code, doesn't mean it should work without issues.

Just now, KhaineGB said:

Counterpoint. If it's worked since A19 without issues, it should continue to do so. 😛

Now you are just trolling lol.  Lots of stuff break from build to build even from changes not directly related to each other.  I will concede the last word to you though if it makes you feel better. 😄

Does anyone know what causes the camera to bob/shake? It only happens to me on horde night. My horde base is a corridor with a blade trap and electric fence posts. The corridor is two blocks high with a ceiling at 3-block high level to prevent the zombies from jumping.  The blade trap is attached to the ceiling block to the side of the corridor.  I think the camera shake might be caused by a combination of blade traps with a ceiling at the 3-block level. Does anyone know for certain?  And for TFP, is this something you are looking at? The camera wobble is disorienting and unpleasant.

No, i'm actually not trolling. I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation if it's not in the patch notes that something changed regarding that code (even if it's not used by the team). And from when I was looking at the XML, backpack/UI related stuff seemed to be mostly the same, but with some extra controls for people to tweak (which is good)

I'm not being funny or an arse, Laz, but you were a modder BEFORE you worked for TFP. This is something where you should probably be going "Yeah, ok, fair point", not trying to defend the status quo.

31 minutes ago, KhaineGB said:

No, i'm actually not trolling. I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation if it's not in the patch notes that something changed regarding that code (even if it's not used by the team). And from when I was looking at the XML, backpack/UI related stuff seemed to be mostly the same, but with some extra controls for people to tweak (which is good)

I'm not being funny or an arse, Laz, but you were a modder BEFORE you worked for TFP. This is something where you should probably be going "Yeah, ok, fair point", not trying to defend the status quo.

khaine i must protect @Laz Man here because he is right.  I don't make mods etc i just see how even small updated can "broke" mods - l4d2 - small change in zombie models broke some common zombie mods,  hl2 updated broke for  example nighmare house 2 , stalker mods works only on some versions, shadow of tomb rider small fix broke few mods . So yeah updates broke mods.

Btw even small  change in code can change a lot - that's way alien colonial marine was broken- because some wrote 1 letter in bad place

Yeah he was modder. And? i'm not but i see when something is devs fault or not. Well i think a lot of people on this forum know how much i complain about some devs' decisions.

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

9 hours ago, xyth said:

I don't agree, food spoilage is a nice mechanic, but difficult to balance well.  Sphereii and I released a spoilage mod for previous alphas, and many enjoyed it.  If food is rare enough into late game, then I agree its not really needed. Farming kills that balance since in vanilla zombies do not destroy crops.   In Starvation mod we added that function, plus crop disease, insects etc., so farming wasn't a ez fix to food as in vanilla.  So its about feature balance.  TFP likes to keep it simple, and that way works well too.

Enjoyed the heck out of Starvation mod in a15. Yes the food spoilage was not quite balanced, but better then nothing. If TFP wants to keep things simple and at the same time make food scarce, seems the only solution is to remove farming. 

IMHO would prefer leaving farming in but add in what the Starvation mod did: Spoilage of food and crops getting disease.

3 minutes ago, fragtzack said:

Enjoyed the heck out of Starvation mod in a15. Yes the food spoilage was not quite balanced, but better then nothing. If TFP wants to keep things simple and at the same time make food scarce, seems the only solution is to remove farming. 

IMHO would prefer leaving farming in but add in what the Starvation mod did: Spoilage of food and crops getting disease.

Well farming is one of the best thing- why? because few year after zombie outbreak 99% of food would be spoiled. So living people would lives in village in medival style and focusing on farming , make better fences , make tool and looting will very rare thing

13 hours ago, Khalagar said:

I play almost nothing but survival games, but I still can't think of a single one where food is relevant past early game, for good reason. 

Agree. Even in Starvation mod mentioned here with food spoilage plus crop spoilage there was still plenty of food once out of early game. 

Maybe we just need to accept this and be challenged in other ways:

1. Bandits

2. Raids on our base by bandits

3. And then, Bandits

2 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Yep, that is one of the dangers of modding in code that was commented out.

Chances are the commented code was not tested by QA in the numerous builds leading up to the A20 release.

Point being, just because it wasn't your code, doesn't mean it should work without issues.

Whatever the case may be, the lockable storage mod is working just fine. I don't doubt the error might be caused by a mod, but it's not the lockable storage mod.

3 hours ago, RhinoW said:

Just wanted to write down saying that farming is insanely poorly designed. Usually a farm means extra produce of something, in which the yield is profitable. That is not the case with 7 days, unless you have Living off the land....TIER 2! And even then, it's a 50% chance for the farm to literally work like it's supposed to.

Let's take potatoes as a variable for the example:

- Use 5 potatoes to craft 1 seed
- Waste resources into a farm plot
- Put the seed on the plot and wait (no way to speed up the process now as far as I'm aware)
- Harvest the seed to get 5 potatoes.
- Use all 5 to craft 1 seed and literally get nothing at all in theory

So, unless you find a seed (=5 potatoes), or until you get LOTL Tier2+, your farm is by all means, a waste of resources.

Who designed this? What is the point of having a secondary rather major mechanic, only be usable with an UPGRADED perk.

You profit off living off the land 1 actually.
The math
50% chance of seed is approximately 2.5 plants
You get 4 plants with living off the land 1

This is an average yield of 6.5, which means if you want an endless farm, you are getting about 1-2plants per plot net gain. Of course with a small sample size your farm may end unsustainable at these levels. So if you insist no fortitude, wait till you have like 5 seeds if seeing your farm dry out is frustrating. 

The mechanic is also used without any perks to generate a few plants from seeds you find with no investment (it's not meant to be sustainable with no perk, just a 1 time gig).

Edited by Tmodloader (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Slingblade2040 said:

Any chance of lowering scream spawns when mining with an auger or even the steel pick? I don't mind roaming hordes falling me while I'm mining but the screamer spawn rate is on the annoying side.  

I just used an auger for first time in maybe a couple of alphas. Within 10 minutes I got a screamer. Killed her and 10 minutes after that...I got 3...at same time.  I was within 200 meters of our base so maybe that affected the heatmap. I had used a steel pickaxe before that mining nitrate (a lot further from the base) and mined 5 stacks and never got one screamer though.

15 minutes ago, Gamida said:

I just used an auger for first time in maybe a couple of alphas. Within 10 minutes I got a screamer. Killed her and 10 minutes after that...I got 3...at same time.  I was within 200 meters of our base so maybe that affected the heatmap. I had used a steel pickaxe before that mining nitrate (a lot further from the base) and mined 5 stacks and never got one screamer though.

Mining metal, which includes iron and lead, generates significantly more heat than mining stone related blocks, such as stone, nitrate, coal, or oil shale. Just an fyi. :)

Also, in case you don't know this trick, crouch while mining. You generate 50% less heat that way.

On 12/27/2021 at 10:30 AM, meganoth said:

I have been playing with vulkan (on Linux) for all of a19 and a20 (though I had to disable a few advanced features like SSAO).

Except for the last patch, there seems to be a change that destabilized vulkan on my machine or made another feature not work. Eventually I have to get off my a** and make a bug report. 😒

I know I'm about a week late to the party, but what glitches are you running into? i definitely feel like Vulkan is having issues for me at times. I've got the 6700 XT and even at high-ultra it can go through 1 second freezing intervals and I've got artifacts everywhere at times.

3 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Also, in case you don't know this trick, crouch while mining. You generate 50% less heat that way.

Better tip, deploy junk turrets to guard your mine for free exp and loot! Half the fun of mining is seeing that exp bar grow while you hear a faint "Put put put put put" in the background

12 hours ago, fragtzack said:

Agree. Even in Starvation mod mentioned here with food spoilage plus crop spoilage there was still plenty of food once out of early game. 

Maybe we just need to accept this and be challenged in other ways:

1. Bandits

2. Raids on our base by bandits

3. And then, Bandits

Damn now you want to  hardcore game  which most people will hate ( a think if TFP added food spoilage + bandits raiding bases  a lot of people wanted refund). They made casual setting so hardcore gameplay will be just paradox 

8 hours ago, Darklegend222 said:

I know I'm about a week late to the party, but what glitches are you running into? i definitely feel like Vulkan is having issues for me at times. I've got the 6700 XT and even at high-ultra it can go through 1 second freezing intervals and I've got artifacts everywhere at times.

I have an RX580. With A238 the game starts up with the cursor icon displayed too low, i.e. I had to click on a spot below any button to actually hit the button. This happens inside menues and the game itself.

The game had graphical artifacts as well, but what clinches it was that the game became unresponsive after a few seconds.

I did not try to turn off more graphical features yet, possibly it could be made to run.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)