Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

5 minutes ago, TPrice321 said:

Feral Sense game option.   Lets you set how easily zombies see/hear you.  From dumber than now up to Horde Night GPS all the time

Nice. Another knob to tune to adjust difficulty to taste. :)

6 minutes ago, TPrice321 said:

Some "sleepers" will be walking around instead of just sitting/standing

I wonder if this is going to be in place of something that is there currently or is in addition to what is there currently.

2 hours ago, faatal said:

The Robotic Drone should be in A20. Some code work may start on bandits, but they won't be in a20.

@faatal , are you doing the walking sleepers ? They seem ok, as long as they have the "attack block" behaviour disabled until player detection, of course.

Hello devs. Have you looked at what mods people are using (assuming telemetry data shows this)? And if, so would you consider making changes based on that? For example, if a lot of people are using bigger backpack / bigger stack size mods, is that something you would consider tweaking?

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

Just finished viewing the recorded Dev stream, there's so much great stuff coming!

Congrats TFP, you're going leaps and bounds to make this game better! :first:

even though i was late to online class today,  But its worth it!

heres the pics if you want, 

You're welcome....
I got so many ideas for Armor NOW! Thank you TFP for fueling my fire! :) 

Edited by Adam the Waster (see edit history)

Haven't been able to watch the stream yet but from the list above (thank you by the way) , I don't see any big changes regarding gameplay ? Vehicle mods are a nice addition and the 3 pipe guns will make early days more convenient for everyone, but there seems to be nothing drastically gamechanging or adding/renewing the challenge.

Has there been more detailed information regarding the very linear progression system of A19 that A20 was supposed to improve ?

Scratch that, the official list looks amazing.

Edited by beHypE (see edit history)

If bandits are proving so hard, why not let the community help out with the modelling, animations and coding? Surely there is some assets or source code that can be released, or some problem statement that we can help brainstorm around.  

While conventional clothing (dusters, boots, bandanas, shirts, pants, etc.) will be removed and the current armor sets we know will be gone, I'm nonetheless interested to see where these outfits will take us. I just hope there's enough variety among them so that we don't find entire sets, even if some are of poor quality levels, relatively early on. (Also, I assume that clothing mods will be removed, such as the skullcap mod and the cowboy hat mod? Just curious.)

Edit: Unless I misunderstood what Joel meant, in which case, feel free to correct me.

11 hours ago, TPrice321 said:

MadMole, can you share any rough percentages you are seeing from A19 gamesparks telemetry on single player, vs hosted Co-op vs Dedicated Server multiplayer?

Can you tell PvE vs PvP?

I'm not working on balance so I'm not looking at that data.

8 hours ago, Noctoras said:

Are there also more "basic" zombies to come or will new zombie models only be special ones? 

The first step is to replace everything, and get new HD player outfits working, which also opens the door to bandit models. If everything is running good yet there may be room for additional basic zombies.

@madmole Considering the new generator quest, wouldn't it also be a good time to revise and improve the existing quests? Visuals and lore-wise giving them descriptions that you would find in those random readable quests, as if people left bounties on the traders. Game design-wise make them more intricate and have an even heavier RNG influence. 

- Clear Zombies ---> Infestation

- Fetch -----> (Person) needs (amount) (item)   [RNG]

They would have specific PoI's and items to collect in normal containers (for example, collecting grades of beer, gas, ammo, break into a safe)

It's rather boring finding the same "Riverwood supplies" hidden in the same place

- Fetch/Clear ---> Recovery

Clear an area, and if possible, have an open area mini event spawn (like a spawned camp/vehicle), and recover what a courier had failed to deliver, because he got swarmed. 

- Buried Treasure ---> Same

Nothing to add.

- [NEW] Heist 

Pretty self explanatory, break into a safe, steal, would be a cool addition once bandit structures/houses are added.

And as for the new generator quest, it seems like a really nice addition, and I hope different tiers add different electrical puzzles that the player needs to solve (activate a button, connect wires, interact with fuse boxes similar to far cry towers)

The PoI reworks and new gen quests are giving me Dead Island nostalgia, especially the gas stations and garages. I would love to see environmental traps in the future, like electrified water/fences, gas leaks and other puzzles.

Any thoughts people?

PS: 

12 hours ago, madmole said:

They have been around forever. Screamer, fat cop, spider are all special. We have some new ones planned but are not sure when they will arrive. Tourist zombie will become a special infected once the code is in for him.

1 hour ago, madmole said:

The first step is to replace everything, and get new HD player outfits working, which also opens the door to bandit models. If everything is running good yet there may be room for additional basic zombies.

I think most players like myself have been subjected to these 'special zombies' so much during game play they become the 'native zombie' and we are now so used to them they lost there 'special' title. I know ones like the demolisher do not show up till later on (would like to see these just wondering around as I rarely see them myself) but the majority of the zombies are there from day one and get old fast.

We need more native/generic zombies with different hair and clothes to fill up the world more, then these 'special' zombies will yet again regain there title as special.  :)

Edited by Jay_ombie (see edit history)

8 hours ago, hotpoon said:

Hello devs. Have you looked at what mods people are using (assuming telemetry data shows this)? And if, so would you consider making changes based on that? For example, if a lot of people are using bigger backpack / bigger stack size mods, is that something you would consider tweaking?

No we don't really look at mods, we have a huge list of stuff we want to do and don't need ideas nor care what 1% of the player base might be doing to their game. I hope that doesn't sound arrogant, but reflects the fact that we have a clear roadmap and list of features we need to focus on. A larger inventory is something we would like to see though. The distant POI tech is coming from a modder though. So if something brilliant comes up usually we hear about it even though we aren't looking for things if that makes sense.

5 hours ago, beHypE said:

Haven't been able to watch the stream yet but from the list above (thank you by the way) , I don't see any big changes regarding gameplay ? Vehicle mods are a nice addition and the 3 pipe guns will make early days more convenient for everyone, but there seems to be nothing drastically gamechanging or adding/renewing the challenge.

Has there been more detailed information regarding the very linear progression system of A19 that A20 was supposed to improve ?

I did mention new AI like zeds crawling through 1 meter egress and windows, which will make horde nights a lot more challenging. Feral sense options. Game play is constantly evolving but will always be similar to A18. Progression is getting a complete rewrite from scratch.

5 hours ago, JasonX said:

If bandits are proving so hard, why not let the community help out with the modelling, animations and coding? Surely there is some assets or source code that can be released, or some problem statement that we can help brainstorm around.  

OMG LOL.

4 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

While conventional clothing (dusters, boots, bandanas, shirts, pants, etc.) will be removed and the current armor sets we know will be gone, I'm nonetheless interested to see where these outfits will take us. I just hope there's enough variety among them so that we don't find entire sets, even if some are of poor quality levels, relatively early on. (Also, I assume that clothing mods will be removed, such as the skullcap mod and the cowboy hat mod? Just curious.)

Edit: Unless I misunderstood what Joel meant, in which case, feel free to correct me.

Well think if everything has quality, and there's at least 10 sets of outfits how long it might take to actually find a full set. There is a cowboy hat, but it is part of a specific outfit. The skull cap is the lumberjack hat. A lot of the stuff we have now will sort of be there in some fashion, but everything has meaning to it now instead of everything useless except for steel or military armor. There might be a fair amount of choice deciding what outfit best works for your build, or strong desire to collect a full legendary miner outfit.

19 minutes ago, Survager said:

@madmole 

Will these new armor sets replace the old rags, leather, scrap and steel armor sets, or will the new armor sets be additional armor sets to what is already in the game?

Everything is getting deleted and there will be new outfits you can find and craft. The lineup isn't complete so I cannot confirm what might resemble old content, but a lot of the nostalgic things are sticking around in some way or another. Like I mentioned the skull cap is now lumberjack cap.

@madmole

It sounds like the electrical system isn't getting any updates/love. Is that for this update or 'ever' ? I'm a nerd, I like engineering stuff. The electrical system is super enticing but sort of... I don't want to sound insulting, but it almost feels half baked. Is there a chance we'll see more on that system in the future to flesh it out a bit more and correct some of the odd/counterintuitive behaviors? 

22 minutes ago, SteamM0nkey said:

@madmole

It sounds like the electrical system isn't getting any updates/love. Is that for this update or 'ever' ? I'm a nerd, I like engineering stuff. The electrical system is super enticing but sort of... I don't want to sound insulting, but it almost feels half baked. Is there a chance we'll see more on that system in the future to flesh it out a bit more and correct some of the odd/counterintuitive behaviors? 

On that note will we ever see the ability to make basic logic gates for the electrical system like and/or gates and such.

• Roland unpinned this topic
  • Roland locked this topic