Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

@faatal @madmole

Are there any plans to fix the loads and loads of floating bases I am seeing posted all over net.

I get that the idea is to play the game any which way you want but to me when the zombies can never ever hit you, what's the point of playing.

You are exploiting the game and not using  clever mechanics to kill the zombies.

I am loving A20 it's simply the best alpha to date, I can't wait to see what else to you guys bring.

8 minutes ago, Annihilatorza said:

@faatal @madmole

Are there any plans to fix the loads and loads of floating bases I am seeing posted all over net.

I get that the idea is to play the game any which way you want but to me when the zombies can never ever hit you, what's the point of playing.

You are exploiting the game and not using  clever mechanics to kill the zombies.

I am loving A20 it's simply the best alpha to date, I can't wait to see what else to you guys bring.

So, because YOU don't agree with the play style you think the developers should remove it from the game?

How would you like it if someone looked at YOUR play style and decided they didn't like some key element of it and the devs removed it?

1 minute ago, Reckis said:

So, because YOU don't agree with the play style you think the developers should remove it from the game?

How would you like it if someone looked at YOUR play style and decided they didn't like some key element of it and the devs removed it?

to be fair though they have changed how blocks pathing works and im sure before gold releases they will most definitely fix this

4 hours ago, Annihilatorza said:

@faatal @madmole

3 hours ago, Reckis said:

3 hours ago, Callum123456789 said:

to be fair though they have changed how blocks pathing works and im sure before gold releases they will most definitely fix this

While you're likely correct, that's beside the point he's making. It's ridiculous for a player to complain about a mechanic that others like to exploit, but which does not affect their own play style. The fact that it's possible to build floating bases is not stopping Annihilatorza from enjoying and playing the game in the way he wants.

It might be OP, but a weapon mod that increases headshot damage, while greatly or totally reducing body damage, could be fun. 

I would probably use it on insane mode to make some of the weaker weapons more viable, and better ones kill faster. 

It is not super hard to get headshots though, so maybe it would just end up being a buff.  Although, spider zombies and vultures... heh. 

4 hours ago, palikkamaa said:

I don't get how he got so bad performance on rtx 3080 1080p. I have 2070s /9600k /16gb ram and I'm matching/exceeding his performance at 1440p. 

V sync is usually the cause of those low fps you see in that high-end rig. Turning it off will unleash the Pc to its full potential. because CPU is more relaxed and GPU can go all in. This game is extremely CPU-bottlenecked and offers few but more impactful options for CPUs. Like turning Dynamic Meshes off will boost garbage collection handling (which is processed by your CPU) and will result in way less freezes, for example.

Why are gamestage achievements half of what they actually require? For instance "Reach Gamestage 125" shows /250

So you need gamestage 250 to achieve it. 

5 hours ago, pregnable said:

It might be OP, but a weapon mod that increases headshot damage, while greatly or totally reducing body damage, could be fun. 

I would probably use it on insane mode to make some of the weaker weapons more viable, and better ones kill faster. 

It is not super hard to get headshots though, so maybe it would just end up being a buff.  Although, spider zombies and vultures... heh. 

in emergencies even on insane you'd have to likely have another weapon out, can't rely on headshots when completely swarmed

12 hours ago, Reckis said:

Just play with no enemies dude, that's an option. Invincibility being cheesed is a problem for challenge servers.

SI (Structural Integrity) and base stability

I've noticed my bases seem to be collapsing more frequently in A20 than previously.  Even after full repairs are made.

It looks like stability is not getting auto recalculated after replacing missing/broken blocks.  (Like after a horde attack.)  I did some checking and it isn't (for me).  Here's how to check and fix:

Enable Command Console.       [F1]

Enable Debug Mode.                Type dm and hit [Enter]

Exit Command Console.           [Esc]

Show Debug Tools.                  [Esc]

Enable Show Stability               Select {Show Stability}

Anything vertical from ground (not 100% correct, but...) should be bright green.  (Changing to yellow/orange/red the further you horizontally traverse from a supporting column.)   But if you take blocks out and replace them, it does not go back to as originally built.  To fix:

Select {Recalc Stability} in the Debug Tools menu.

The structure should return to original build stability.

To exit the Debug Tools Menu hit [Esc]

You can also now also disable Debug mode by performing the first 3 steps above.

13 hours ago, Aldranon said:

When loot respawns, I would like it if the entire POI gets reset as well.

I just started looking at POI's I already looted as someone mentioned something about respawn of loot.

Sure enough the loot was there and some of the zombies but all my ladders and wood frames were stuck around and I often got to the main loot without a fight.

That just cant be how its suppose to be!  But if it is, I guess the "No Loot respawn" option is mandatory for me.

If you set it, set it for something long like 50 days, then you just imagine some survivor went there and did something, ended up dying in the wilderness somewhere, that's a better thought than your coma idea. Fifty days is a long time to play and it normally won't pass more than once or twice in a run.

10 hours ago, Syphon583 said:

While you're likely correct, that's beside the point he's making. It's ridiculous for a player to complain about a mechanic that others like to exploit, but which does not affect their own play style. The fact that it's possible to build floating bases is not stopping Annihilatorza from enjoying and playing the game in the way he wants.

it definitely makes playing a server harder

5 hours ago, Quantum Blue said:

I've noticed my bases seem to be collapsing more frequently in A20 than previously.  Even after full repairs are made.

It looks like stability is not getting auto recalculated after replacing missing/broken blocks.  (Like after a horde attack.)  I did some checking and it isn't (for me).  Here's how to check and fix:

Anything vertical from ground (not 100% correct, but...) should be bright green.  (Changing to yellow/orange/red the further you horizontally traverse from a supporting column.)   But if you take blocks out and replace them, it does not go back to as originally built.  To fix:

Yup, I have lost a horde base to this glitch. Super annoying

6 hours ago, Tmodloader said:

Why are gamestage achievements half of what they actually require? For instance "Reach Gamestage 125" shows /250

I believe its a relic of an old iteration of game stages. 

I am sure they are waiting to actually go back and address the  achievements for when the game is in beta. 

7 hours ago, Quantum Blue said:

This issue combined with turrets dropping through your towers requiring blocks be removed to retrieve them.  Now I understand the last collapse.

16 hours ago, Syphon583 said:

This is a good point and when changes are made everyone should remember that it wasn’t because TFP succumbed to a group of whiners but because they felt it important to fix unintentional behavior. 

When @faatal ended the steep slope exploit, he didn’t do it to stop players from enjoying their play style nor due to the excessive complaints that were posted about the exploit. He did it because it was a pathing bug and a collision issue that needed fixing— pure and simple. 

When plates were reduced to 25% hp the floating base people were pretty unhappy and many of them even said the change would be the end of that type of base.  If TFP decides to go forward with that plan it will be because it is how they intend the blocks in the game to function and not because they are at war with players and their strategies. 

3 hours ago, BananaCustard said:

Not a fan of the flashing map markers....

Any way to stop them blinking at me?

+1

TFP does such a nice job with the HUD beeing minimalistic but then they slap that markers right into our face. GIve us the option to turn it on/off please, it´s enough to see it in the compass. No need for an immersion breaker in the middle of the screen. Especially the quick waypoint is annoying af.

Also, update does what? Can´t find any info on that.

16 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

+1

TFP does such a nice job with the HUD beeing minimalistic but then they slap that markers right into our face. GIve us the option to turn it on/off please, it´s enough to see it in the compass. No need for an immersion breaker in the middle of the screen. Especially the quick waypoint is annoying af.

Also, update does what? Can´t find any info on that.

It's still build 238 so I'm guessing it was either just Twitch Integration update or maybe just a Steam thing

4 minutes ago, Doomofman said:

It's still build 238 so I'm guessing it was either just Twitch Integration update or maybe just a Steam thing

last update by TFP was 21dec2021. probably a steam thing but i didnt get anything on my end.

sorry folks but a21 is way out there and it wont happen this year. :)

7 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

last update by TFP was 21dec2021. probably a steam thing but i didnt get anything on my end.

sorry folks but a21 is way out there and it wont happen this year. :)

Now that I check, it was only 425kb so yeah must be just a Steam thing.

Also, no A21 this year? I am outraged 😆

Archived