Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Made some good progress today on FPS tanking. Looks like textures getting dumped or not loaded into VRAM combined with the near terrain shader's texture use.

Made some changes to improve debugging:

Added gfx st budget/forceload console commands.

Added gfx tex console command to show texture usage info.

Added gfx dt console command help.

Changed gfx key console command to not put GAME_ in front of name.

Added GAME_MSTEST and GAME_MSTESTBASE keywords to Micro Splat shaders to use gray instead of textures.

We started a build, so the testers can use these for debugging tomorrow and I'll keep experimenting.

Maybe a dumb question, will those commands carry over to normal A18.0 release?

It would be great to be able to diagnose performance bottlenecks to maybe get a clue on what to do about them.

Currently (A14-A17.4) there is times when performance drops and no clear indication on why (plenty of free ram & Vram, no fully loaded cpucores and gpu is not stressed either (and no/low diskaccess too)

I have suspected this is some Unity issue for all years and it would be awesome to see just where the problem comes from.

Maybe I'll submit a bug report. I can fly around in god mode in the desert in pregen02 and maintain good fps while in pregen01 my system ram gets maxed out and fps drops into the single digits.

the same happened for me in pregen01 while testing the AF settings in the desert.

Solution: restart the whole game (the exe, not only the save game), this will help most of the time here. If this doesn't help, then teleporting in another biome, waiting some seconds and teleporting back into the desert solved it for me.

Cool. Terrain uses a lot of texture lookups, so the filtering could be compounding it. We can change AF globally or on specific textures.

I'll give this some testing tomorrow.

:)

If you're looking for a specific testing spot, give pregen01 a try. The worst performance I'm getting is in the snow biome at the trader (on top of the building, looking at the snowy hills).

Even with low FPS , medium graphics settings, motion blur off, I'm not getting any stuttering. Really enjoying the content and combat. The loot is a little OP(maybe I'm only on day 5) 800 dukes for a level 1 M-60 is a steal BTW. Cheers guys got my fingers crossed you can nail down the performance so I can enjoy full textures.

Made some good progress today on FPS tanking. Looks like textures getting dumped or not loaded into VRAM combined with the near terrain shader's texture use.

Added GAME_MSTEST and GAME_MSTESTBASE keywords to Micro Splat shaders to use gray instead of textures.

We started a build, so the testers can use these for debugging tomorrow and I'll keep experimenting.

Is there an ingame command to disable AF ?

With my Radeon there seems to be no option in the graphic card itself:(

@TFP.

I have three observations, that I won't call bugs because I can't tell if they are by-design or not.

1. I keep hearing about the buried treasure quests being a source of food. I've done 8 or so tiers 1 & 2 and never gotten any food--either in the chest or as a reward. Is it only for the higher tiers?

There are only two tiers of Buried Supplies, as far as I know. Tier 1 Buried Supplies have a very high chance to give you a food/drink/seed schematic (duplicates of ones you know may occur), a super food/drink, and some canned food. I found that Tier 2 schematics (unless I'm having rotten luck) are worse; the most recent one, I only got a Tier 1 cloth hood from it. Perhaps you're onto Tier 2 Buried Supplies?

I don't know how and what you are fixing here, so I might be wrong. It is good to get more FPS, but what I see from my 3 computer test. all are running Latest Windows 10 Pro, but 2 are running latest nvidia 26.xxx version, and one is using nvidia 23.xx version (from 2018). The one with old driver is working with Shader streaming, but one with latest driver didn't works with shader. I don't know how I get that version installed now to test. If there is any log I can send please tell me I will share log as well.

sharing this information just for debugging purpose.

The whole issue with the hardware specific performance problems makes me think of 7DtD to offer some kind of early graphics-test playground build.

You know, either a rolling demo (flyby of terrain and POIs). Or a simple level that does not allow full gameplay, but records performance statistics.

This way you can push out changes with shaders, assets and occlusion culling early, without making people get mad that expect a full playable game version.

"Test Sandbox" or so.

The easiest is probably to cut out any playerinput, and have a predetermined path flying the camera around the world.

There would be still a lot of people trying that out, wanting to see new graphical features, ad report any issues that crop up.

(Even in a well formated text listing the performance and hardware, that can be copied)

Were there any settings to change on ADM video cards? I checked Anisotropic filter, but it is already off in card settings. I have a Radeon RX590 8GB. I am getting okay frame rates, with some drops, but seems to work okay with customized settings (30-40fps).

Hey Joel

Previously in this thread you mentioned you were looking at redoing the food stamina situation in A19 because a lot of people found it confusing. Well, I just came across something pretty interesting that supports the idea that stamina and food should be decoupled.

Being a health nut, you might already know this, but fasting increases norephinphrine, so you actually get more energy as you fast.

Here's my source. It is a lecture from Dr Jason Fung. If you watch from about 1:02:00, he covers this in detail.

So with the current system (that you mentioned the other guy designed), as your food levels drop, so does your energy (represented by the stamina bar). This is the exact opposite of what actually happens. I know we're not trying to make a real life simulator, but I figured you would appreciate this given your interest in health and hormones.

'BeardedMonkey:

Small request: On the ESC pause menu, can we get a RESUME button? I know it might seem dumb, but I have paused to go for a smoke and come back and hit EXIT more times than I'd like to admit.'

Just hit ESC again?

Forgive him, some things are just too simple to figure it out by yourself:cocksure:

Survived our first BM, that was scary fun!

One thing I noticed with animations, while electrocuting and stunning happen together.

They stumble away a bit from being stunned by an allies hammer, then if I electrocute them, or if they have recently been electricuted, they snap back to coordinates I electrocuted them at and vice versa. So we end up attacking nothing, getting hit, and missing our hits because the zombie is snapping all over the place.

I'll try to get a good video later to show you what I mean. Not sure if I should submit as a bug or not? I guess it could be tweaked where the animations are happing at once.

For now I just back up and wait out the animations, but it would be very sweet to be able to keep beating up on the zombie.

I am always an int character at 7d2d and i cant actualy aim bc of both i am not talented mouse control and my fps is low so i fell in love with turret sendrome but there is a problem idk my friends has the same thing so i am not so sure if it is a bug or not ,intellect is all locked it says it needs 1 int but still locked and doesnt show a level need we just confused . We think i guess we need to be lvl 10 to open intellect part maybe idk .

Hmm, not sure that I understood you correctly. Do you mean you cannot invest in intellect, but can invest in other attributes? Intellect is not locked for me from the start.

Or your problem you cannot invest in Turret Syndrome? The first rank there unlocks at intellect 6.

Compliments to the level designers, and especially the SM HQ. Quite a few surprises, but was a nice dungeon with good balance between risk and reward and no over-doing the fake floor. Just enough to keep the doubt.

Only thing I can say on this is, there is now definitely a stronger appeal from me for the zipline. Standing on that last top most platform, and I can see my bikie down there as a few pixels... I could think of nothing else.

The one with old driver is working with Shader streaming, but one with latest driver didn't works with shader.

As someone who gets a lot of error reports, "doesn't work" is almost always not enough information. Be more specific what exactly does not work, otherwise your report probably will be useless to Fataal.

I am always an int character at 7d2d and i cant actualy aim bc of both i am not talented mouse control and my fps is low so i fell in love with turret sendrome but there is a problem idk my friends has the same thing so i am not so sure if it is a bug or not ,intellect is all locked it says it needs 1 int but still locked and doesnt show a level need we just confused . We think i guess we need to be lvl 10 to open intellect part maybe idk .

You don't need to unlock Int, there is a bug at work. You should have Int 1 at the start of the game and should be able to buy at least the first step of some perks in the INT tree. (If that is not the problem, be more specific what you see). What does it say exactly when you hover with your mouse over the icon to the right of the perks?

Whoever provides the server, did he completely wipe the game (advisable, especially if you played with mods previously) and delete all configuration? Roland has a sticky thread in the "General Discussion" or "News &...", how do do the config delete for non-dedicated servers.

all i wanted is if i get a friend is drop him in a pit of bees!

Who needs enemies with a friend like Adam :cocksure:

Archived