Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Snakes are kind of hard to hit

They've always been a pain. I found that I like to use a spear on the snakes now. They are still hard to hit, but jabbing with the spear is pretty quick and not so stamina draining and misses don't contribute to frustration as much. Crouching and jabbing when the snake is moving toward you might increase the chances of hitting the hit box, but I haven't tried that yet.

Happily surprised with A18. I wasn't expecting combat to be as engaging as it is now. The temporary rage mechanic is absolutely fantastic, and has restored the creepy factor to zombies finally.

Performance wise, sometimes it runs way better than previous alphas and sometimes it runs way worse. Currently, it drops down to 8 fps at nighttime, though daytime is fine. I know this will be fixed, but just putting it out there.

Great work guys!

MM: I have an Ultra-wide Acer Predator that is native at 3440 x 1440. And a potato pc. I get 40 FPS outside. And I am willing to live with the FPS rate to get my ultra-wide 3440. (btw - There are NO other 21:9 settings available. All others switch to 16:9 with either black bars (or windowed) or a stretched image.)

Well all Im saying is if you want more fps reduce the resolution, for now at least. If you are happy with 40 fps then keep on with it! For me 4k runs too slow, even 2560 isn't worth it. Looks amazing but I want 60fps.

I play on a laptop with an i5 a 1050gtx and 8gb ram and this experimental one is the one that works best from the beginning, if you're doing so badly that you're not enjoying it, go back to 17.4 and stop riding so many dramas, in a few weeks You will have a more stable version that does NOT OFFEND your expectations.

good job TFP this alpha is awesome

I can confirm turning down AF (I turned it completely off) in Nvidia allowed me to go from HALF to FULL textures again without dipping to 5fps looking at distant desert terrain. Running 2k (windowed still just in case) Res and all maxed settings aside from motion blur and reflection at high. Holding 40-50fps now. 25 mins in and no problem. Only took a few minutes before to start dipping to 5fps so I'd say someone else give it a try if you're skeptical.

i5 8400

RTX 2060

20GB ram

Guys, lets end all discussion about what early access is, streamer events, etc. If you have a tip to increase performance, game play stories/feedback or questions lets hear it, but all this debating needs to stop. We are working on several possible solutions to the poor fps some players are experiencing until then arguing about it isn't helpful and I don't want faatal wasting 5 hours sifting through garbage posts that don't contribute to the development and improvement to A18.

I play on a laptop with an i5 a 1050gtx and 8gb ram and this experimental one is the one that works best from the beginning, if you're doing so badly that you're not enjoying it, go back to 17.4 and stop riding so many dramas, in a few weeks You will have a more stable version that does NOT OFFEND your expectations.

good job TFP this alpha is awesome

Go and read Doctor3D's post above.

Fun Pimps, you trolls. :p I legit thought this was a trader on the edge of town, until I got a good look at it. (Note: I took this several in-game days ago.)

UNYndLN.jpg

Yeah I saw that flag and was so excited, ran up to it and saw land mines and soldiers. They are pretty fun to loot though. I still haven't breached the bunker vault door yet, no idea what is down there.

Yeah I saw that flag and was so excited, ran up to it and saw land mines and soldiers. They are pretty fun to loot though. I still haven't breached the bunker vault door yet, no idea what is down there.

All I will say is that it's one of my favorite POI's to date. It's completely unrecognizable from its previous incarnation.

lol..I did the same thing on day 1 with only a spear and a bow with maybe a dozen arrows..I walked right up to it carefree thinking it was a trader..I was greeted with a couple Soldiers..That's where I got my AK47..there's a vault room in there with an easy hidden access, I used just the spear and what little arrows I had to get in there..but was pretty banged up..I then got the Ak with just enough ammo to shoot all the remaining soldiers I encountered and got the hell out of there.

I decided to play like I played it in A16. Of course LBD works way different, but I have no complains so far (except by a weird delay on menus). My initial plan was the first horde night against a sea of spikes so I was thinking by day 6 I would get enough wood for 600 spikes: well, it's day 4, few disappointing buried jobs (hills...took me a life to get it done), but I already have 610 spikes and only 2 points in 69er and ML. I'm feeling rewarded by playing the way I really like.

We can probably do an extended tutorial at some point and get players crafting iron tools.

What might help are quests that are triggered by certain events.

For example, when an item that requires a repair kit reaches 0 durability, the player automatically gets a quest on how to craft one.

@madmole

You made the snowcats hardy.

One jumped at me and I smashed his leg off mid-air with the sledgehammer.

He stood back up and just continued to attack me, lol.

Nearly killed me too.

They are post apocalyptic snowcat mind you. 😅

I can confirm what was previously posted about antisotropic filtering. On my beast of a potato ,gtx 670m, I'm getting 15 to 20 frames more with antistropic filtering turned off in Nvidia control panel using application controlled settings.

I can now run the game at my a17 framerates outdoors. Indoors is better than a17. The game is on low settings and doesn't look nice but I'm used to that. Gameplay is enough for now.

Archived