I recently decided that traders currently bring more bad than good to the game, so I started playing without them. When we have more fleshed out NPC, White River clan, bandits, better quests, then traders would be justified. Currently they bring weird problems/mechanics:
- the concept of invulnerable blocks/POIs
- the magic POI restoration/loot respawn and gimmicky double looting of a POI, which became a new standard
- the magic teleporting after 22:00
- the 'problem' of too many foods in store, 'solved' by introducing magic 'candies'
- exploits of 'secret stash' (putting on/removing nerdy glasses)
- the current quests we have are beyond primitive, even by sandbox standards
- traders/quests make the game easier, so people often see no point to build a base anywhere but next to a trader
- the opportunity to buy the things you need, instead of looting it, results in a scheduled routine of visiting every trader after the restock cooldown.
We can argue about the last point, as having more than one way to gain things enriches the game. Maybe yes, but I decided that I prefer the old way of looting/crafting. So when I found that Nitrogen has an option to build maps without traders, I did it. But you also need to use a modlet to remove the 'find a trader' quest with this opiton.