Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

What might help are quests that are triggered by certain events.

For example, when an item that requires a repair kit reaches 0 durability, the player automatically gets a quest on how to craft one.

Yes we already trigger journal entries based on activities, triggering a quest would be easy enough.

ok sounds cool, thx for the reply.

im using pregen02, mb I just got unlucky with a really absurd amount and other seeds are indeed fine as you say. i rather have less and work hard to find them. will wait until we have generation options near/after gold to be able to set the amount. not a big deal, but i want them to be a rare find. would be great to be excited when you find a node while exploring, and put some effort into it.

btw, performance are better for me now. 50-60 at all times. and everything looks and feel better.

Its the first 7d2d experimental alpha i`ve played without encountering an annoying bug during the first few hours. love the new music. love the new icons. love the zed rage. LOVE the spear. IN LOVE with the new shapes menu. already played more in one sitting than i did during a17 life cycle.

great job.

Thanks that is great to hear!

Can confirm another PC that disabling AF fixed. My brother has a GTX 1050 2GB. He is able to play with full textures and still get 60 FPS almost everywhere with a mix of medium and high settings on a 1680 x 1050 monitor.

This is what I told him to change:

AF - Forced "OFF"

Texture Filtering Anisotropic Sample Optimization "ON"

Texture Filtering Quality "Performance"

It went from literally unplayable FPS to an average of 60 FPS when outdoors.

One more for the disabling of anisotropic filtering. I also did a bunch of other stuff, like turning on triple buffering and setting general texture filtering to performance rather than quality, but I'm not sure how much that affects things compared to anisotropic filtering.

At the very least, I'm seeing a massive, massive boost in FPS and no noticeable dipping anymore. The textures are slightly muddier and flatter looking, but it's still far within acceptable levels, and that's what really matters. Who cares about how good the game looks if you can't play it worth a damn?

If your computer is good but not ultra-hyper good, try turning off the filtering as mentioned. It seems like the high end graphic stuff is a little TOO high end for most computers. I'm sure they'll suss out the worst of it in the coming patches; every alpha has been like this where it starts out a little shaky and then they eliminate nearly every problem in the following patches. Hope A18.1 is soon!

I would also like to report that I've been experiencing better performance in A18 compared to A17. :) In A17, my FPS generally fluctuated between 50 and 65 FPS, but in this current unstable experimental build of A18, I get a steady 70-75 FPS (fun fact: it gets to around 130 FPS when I'm in my mine at bedrock, for whatever reason), and everything feels buttery smooth. Well, except if something is crafting while I try to interact with my inventory, then my frames just tank, but other than that small nitpicky inconvenience, I must say, great job, Fun Pimps! :)

LOL... thanks I guess? I think we'll have several improvements rolling out, we know of two issues for sure and are working on solving them.

I must say, I agree with the guy. A18 is extremely good with my 10-20 fps outside. The food poisoning and dissentery system are to my liking also, after suffering them a bit. It was so rewarding when having died 3 times looking down on the rage system I started to resist and fight and eat, and suffer but eventually win something and you treat a simple schematic like it was a heavenly sign. But there is always a choice. A choice to risk and get off my ass and fight and run from crazy random ferals. Apparently nights are like that lol.

One day I spent 12 hours building a tiny tower to fight a wolf, when I finally made it, I shot the bastard only to notice he had a friend nearby. The tower was just a 2x2x2 of single repaired wood. Several weird shouts and gags and screams later I finally took care of them. As I was getting meat from the wolfie's bodies a bunch of steps scared the crap out of me. It was 21.37 PM. I've never seen a character run so fast. Never looked back, I mean, what could a level 2 guy do with 4 arrows, a stone spear and 15% infection on top of a couple of damaged frames against a Running McDonalds advertising gang?

Overall, this game has sucked me in. snip for space

Harvest every tree stump you find and do quests for the trader, they offer antibiotics as rewards sometimes. I'm typically swimming in honey and never even dip into my antibiotics. I head to the pine forest immediately and hunt stumps before doing any combat. Carry honey on me at all times, unless a quest is under 1000 meters away then I will leave it at home to save space.

Apply it only to sledges and then turn down swing speed or increase stamina cost to balance it. 😎👍

Sledges already knock guys down even without hitting them through an AOE buff. Maybe we can retool that so its guys impacted now.

Hey Madmole and Co., just wanted to pop in and say that Alpha 18 has been a massive amount of fun so far and I love the variety that the game has in terms of weapons and skills now. I also feel like the game finally feels relatively complete in terms of major features (Except for maybe adding some bandits some day). I'm hope this allows the upcoming alphas more room for polishing and expanding the current systems and balancing the boatload of skills/buffs present already in there.

I did have one general question about the design philosophy of the weapon tiers vs. the weapon quality. Between the 6 quality levels and the 3 tiers of many weapons/tools, that's 18 variations on each main piece of equipment. Since the quality is back to affecting the damage (as it should), there is less of an incentive to get the resources required to make certain iron/steel tools. I was just wondering if the steel tier tools/weapons might eventually have a special perk to offset their higher resource cost? Thanks again for all the hard work on making 7dtd super fun again.

Steel tools are massively better, I don't think they need anything. Like I think I had a pickaxe that did 14 damage and my first steel did 28, its a LOT better.

Harvest every tree stump you find and do quests for the trader, they offer antibiotics as rewards sometimes. I'm typically swimming in honey and never even dip into my antibiotics. I head to the pine forest immediately and hunt stumps before doing any combat. Carry honey on me at all times, unless a quest is under 1000 meters away then I will leave it at home to save space.

@madmole

do you guys plan on adding bee hives to harvest? like they would spawn near or on POIs and if you get close you get a effect you and zombies with a bleed but its called Bees .

in other words are you guys ever going to add bee hives?

Oh snap, clubs and sledges are getting their animations improved? I'm so happy to hear that, cause atm the swing blocks the damn screen and you can't see what you're hitting.

As an aside, did the loot abundance settings ever get fixed properly? I remember hearing it didn't actually do anything in A17, and I'm kinda swimming in loot in A18 so I want to turn it down a little.

Can confirm that setting AF to 2x in NVIDIA control panel doubles frame rates outdoors in open spaces... went from 40 to 50 to 80 to 100 with gtx 1080 using ultra wide screen resolution, 2560x1080

With this change, this is the smoothest I have ever seen this game run.

I'm so happy this hack is getting people some performance while we sort it out officially. As I said, we did optimize the f out of it but some strange glitch spoiled our launch a bit, but we'll get it, that is what experimental is for.

Still have yet to get a cooking pot though.

I love to look for cooking pots in the burnt forest. When I start new game I head there and search for those 'corner of a building' ruins, they are everywhere, there is often a kitchen stove with a cooking pot/grill. And no sleepers so it is rather safe (apart from vultures).

So, I've asked a few times and still haven't gotten a response: Do mods no longer have a blanket affect on items when slotted? Or does it just not show in the item stat window?

All mods increase damage on guns and tools, for armor they do only what it says they do.

Can confirm another PC that disabling AF fixed. My brother has a GTX 1050 2GB. He is able to play with full textures and still get 60 FPS almost everywhere with a mix of medium and high settings on a 1680 x 1050 monitor.

This is what I told him to change:

AF - Forced "OFF"

Texture Filtering Anisotropic Sample Optimization "ON"

Texture Filtering Quality "Performance"

It went from literally unplayable FPS to an average of 60 FPS when outdoors.

Great news! As I predicted once we get this fixed most people will have better performance than 17.

Hitting grass with a club or spear yields no plant fiber nor wood from the branchy shrubs. Is this a bug or intended?

Does getting wet do something again, or still in the works?

I noticed the destruction "bonus" is still in place. Does this have "feature" status now (hoping), or is it still considered a bug?

I must say, I agree with the guy. A18 is extremely good with my 10-20 fps outside. The food poisoning and dissentery system are to my liking also, after suffering them a bit. It was so rewarding when having died 3 times looking down on the rage system I started to resist and fight and eat, and suffer but eventually win something and you treat a simple schematic like it was a heavenly sign. But there is always a choice. A choice to risk and get off my ass and fight and run from crazy random ferals. Apparently nights are like that lol.

One day I spent 12 hours building a tiny tower to fight a wolf, when I finally made it, I shot the bastard only to notice he had a friend nearby. The tower was just a 2x2x2 of single repaired wood. Several weird shouts and gags and screams later I finally took care of them. As I was getting meat from the wolfie's bodies a bunch of steps scared the crap out of me. It was 21.37 PM. I've never seen a character run so fast. Never looked back, I mean, what could a level 2 guy do with 4 arrows, a stone spear and 15% infection on top of a couple of damaged frames against a Running McDonalds advertising gang?

Glad you are enjoying it, give disabling AF a try it seems to double fps for most people.

@madmole

do you guys plan on adding bee hives to harvest? like they would spawn near or on POIs and if you get close you get a effect you and zombies with a bleed but its called Bees .

If I am not mistaken, I believe MM has implied that with A18 they are getting close to not adding much more content. Bandits and water are going to be a couple very heavy 'lifts'. Anything else they add means they have to worry about using resources (code, people, time, etc.) on making sure those things work - as opposed to bandits and water, etc.

Hitting grass with a club or spear yields no plant fiber nor wood from the branchy shrubs. Is this a bug or intended?

Does getting wet do something again, or still in the works?

I noticed the destruction "bonus" is still in place. Does this have "feature" status now (hoping), or is it still considered a bug?

Getting wet causes you to get colder, and I think that either they're working on making it so you can get sick or it's already implemented

@madmole

No plans.

Oh snap, clubs and sledges are getting their animations improved? I'm so happy to hear that, cause atm the swing blocks the damn screen and you can't see what you're hitting.

As an aside, did the loot abundance settings ever get fixed properly? I remember hearing it didn't actually do anything in A17, and I'm kinda swimming in loot in A18 so I want to turn it down a little.

Yes they are fixed.

Archived