Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

madmole

Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Alpha 18 Dev Diary!!

• A18 Stable is Out!
    • :)

Here in California the power company decided it was a good idea to start doing preemptive power shutoffs to prevent fires when it gets windy and dry. Of course they would threaten to shut it off for the first time this week. They said maybe last night, so I rejoiced when I awoke with power this morning, then to find out it might go off tonight...like in 15 min.....pray for me.......

7d2d withdrawl is real....lol

@TFP. My feedback after the day 7 horde.

A18 is great fun! Don't seem to have the FPS issues that others do (lucky me). Average 70-90 inside, 30-50 outside (playing in the snow biome). Full textures.

I think the balance of everything feels really great. Took me until day 6 to finally find a cooking pot and every "natural" workbench out there was destroyed so I couldn't make one. Food is difficult but not impossible early game, and my first run in with food poisoning was well timed to make for a dramatic need to deal with it. If it was up to me I wouldn't make the food supply/poison any easier-feels exactly the way a survival game should! (I've always enjoyed the early game struggle though, so the challenge of being on that edge between survival and not in my dead-is-dead games is my favorite part. Currently playing on the difficulty one notch above the default).

Had a wonderful moment of getting an 8x scope to put on my crappy hunting rifle which made me feel brave enough to hunt mountain lions for food. I came out on top (barely) both times; but those are the risk/survival decisions to make in-game that make it fun.

I have three observations, that I won't call bugs because I can't tell if they are by-design or not.

1. I keep hearing about the buried treasure quests being a source of food. I've done 8 or so tiers 1 & 2 and never gotten any food--either in the chest or as a reward. Is it only for the higher tiers?

2. Every mod for "sale" in my secret stash is free. Not complaining, but wondered if that is intended? Both this and the one above are at Trader Jen.

3. I don't seem to be able to scrap wood frames in my inventory. Discovered this on horde night when I ran out of wood and couldn't repair my bow. I ended up placing the wood frames and then chopping them to get the spare wood I needed for the repair.

Thanks for a great update. I know you're fixing and balancing and such still, but it is playing great for me.

Looting, perks, books, everything has been great fun so far.

Here in California the power company decided it was a good idea to start doing preemptive power shutoffs to prevent fires when it gets windy and dry. Of course they would threaten to shut it off for the first time this week. They said maybe last night, so I rejoiced when I awoke with power this morning, then to find out it might go off tonight...like in 15 min.....pray for me.......

I kid you not, we lost our power (Central MI) at ~6 PM yesterday (Tue). (I believe it was auto accident related.) We were lucky it was only for about 4 hours. And while I have several hobbies (music, gaming, carpentry, etc. - and I couldn't do any of them) the thing that was driving me insane was not being able to play 7D2D! (Luckily I have a UPS, and was able to safely shut down, so I wasn't worried about a corrupted game!)

Hey NukemDed: Got a couple things you might be able to use.

Hope that helps!

OMG!! following your instructions took me to where i could see the gfx card. yes a nvidia. right cllick update drivers. then turned off theat setting and wow!

from 14fps outside and about 30 in, i upped the resolution to match my screen (1920x1080), took the texture from quarter to full, and am now getting 20 out and up to 50 in :-)

thanks dude!

was faster at 1/4 but now slightly better out but looks way better :-)

Great fun.

Had my first horde night, and was disappointed. 23:20 and it was all over.

I did die once, from a sand clot that fell on me...literally..a thin fraction of one block thick sand collapsed while digging out a treasure chest, and that sand clot fell on my toe, and BAM dies 10 horrible deaths...and I'm not even over-exaggerating.

Otherwise great fun. I decided to go Ranger. So in true spirit of that, my character is hybrid Perception and Agility, since what ranger can't track ♥♥♥♥. Tracking is awesome... and the ragdoll effects from zombies being shot by Hunting Rifle.. PRICELESS... makes me want to drink a potion of forget and respec in to more Huntinf Rifle perks, haha..., but since there is none, I'll push on.

...honestly guys, if playing solo...get tracking 1 at least. It works amazing and I hope to unlock more of that soon. I will craft me now a nice yellow bow, and start looting some of the big buildings nearby.

Current thoughts :

Stealth may be a tad OP. I'm on lvl 3, and I can dry hump a zombie against the foreface, as long as I'm sneaking, and they will just look around and wait for the knife.

OMG!! following your instructions took me to where i could see the gfx card. yes a nvidia. right cllick update drivers. then turned off theat setting and wow!

from 14fps outside and about 30 in, i upped the resolution to match my screen (1920x1080), took the texture from quarter to full, and am now getting 20 out and up to 50 in :-)

thanks dude!

was faster at 1/4 but now slightly better out but looks way better :-)

Awesome! You are very welcome! (Maybe they might even help someone else. Post #31153)

And I agree with you, 1/4 textures runs twice as fast but objects are REALLY ugly. Am trying to tolerate 1/2 for a while... (cuz I am NOT giving up my 3440x1440 resolution!)

Awesome! You are very welcome! (Maybe they might even help someone else. Post #31153)

And I agree with you, 1/4 textures runs twice as fast but objects are REALLY ugly. Am trying to tolerate 1/2 for a while... (cuz I am NOT giving up my 3440x1440 resolution!)

I'm gonna try this tonight. Thx for tips!!!

Just curious when is another bug fix experimental get updated? 10 days, 15 days, next Monday?

Here you go.. (subject to change)

Is a hotfix possibly going to come out soon to fix this FPS issue? If so, do you have an estimated date for it?

Today, tomorrow or Friday I would expect. Probably tomorrow at the soonest I doubt QA will has time to cook something not even coded yet and smoke test it.

Mentioning this here because not sure if intentional or not.

I happened to pass by a buried chest I had dug up for a trader quest. I looked at it and it had respawned loot. Was a few bits of can food and a hobo stew. Was couple more things in there but never noticed what they were as I had just hit R automatically. I know the food was there because I had none on me before.

So are these suppose to respawn loot like a regular container or was it not suppose to happen.

To be fair try shooting a snake in real life.

How? They don't have a trigger.

Just curious when is another bug fix experimental get updated? 10 days, 15 days, next Monday?

I think the big issue right now is this odd performance problem that some are experiencing.

(those who don't have it are too busy playing to post much)

There are other changes and fixes coming up but those are small potatoes in comparison.

All I meant was we're going to be testing on some minimum spec systems from now on to make sure everything runs as expected on minimum supported hardware. Its really weird you are getting poor fps with a card that nice, that is the same card I use and I get 30 fps running 4k, 50-60fps running 1920.

Oh Holiest of Moles!

Is it an idea perhaps to update the minimum hardware requirements for the game on Steam? I don't know if this has already been done, but it might paint a better picture for new customers.

Made some good progress today on FPS tanking. Looks like textures getting dumped or not loaded into VRAM combined with the near terrain shader's texture use.

Made some changes to improve debugging:

Added gfx st budget/forceload console commands.

Added gfx tex console command to show texture usage info.

Added gfx dt console command help.

Changed gfx key console command to not put GAME_ in front of name.

Added GAME_MSTEST and GAME_MSTESTBASE keywords to Micro Splat shaders to use gray instead of textures.

We started a build, so the testers can use these for debugging tomorrow and I'll keep experimenting.

I see. Sounds hard as ballz to fix.

Wait a sec, Now that you mention it... terrain/mountain/cliff textures are at full resolution on lowest settings, or at least very detailed. Shouldn't they be crappy by reducing texture size in video options? Changing it to mid/quarter/eighth size seems to have no or very little effect on them. .

Thank you for taking the time to answer .

That is because terrain textures are tiled and are high res to start, so reducing them makes them look blurry up close, but in the distance they still have enough resolution to look good.

Made some good progress today on FPS tanking. Looks like textures getting dumped or not loaded into VRAM combined with the near terrain shader's texture use.

Made some changes to improve debugging:

Added gfx st budget/forceload console commands.

Added gfx tex console command to show texture usage info.

Added gfx dt console command help.

Changed gfx key console command to not put GAME_ in front of name.

Added GAME_MSTEST and GAME_MSTESTBASE keywords to Micro Splat shaders to use gray instead of textures.

We started a build, so the testers can use these for debugging tomorrow and I'll keep experimenting.

Do you have a machine that experienced a slowdown like the many users reported?

Else I guess its hard to see a feedback when changing parameters.

Always good to have some crap computers in the QA.

@faatal: !THIS!

Reducing Anisotropic Filtering in Nvidia Control Panel from a manual setting of 16 to 4 gives me a huge framerate increase in the desert.

Having now stable 60 frames when watching distant desert terrain, before it was about 30 and less.

Yeah :)

Looks like, the game itself has 8 as internal setting? (compared "Application Controlled").

Thx for the idea!

My system:

I5 6400, 16GB, Nvidia 1060 6GB (exclusive fullscreen @1680x1050 + Nvidia adaptive VSYNC on)

Cool. Terrain uses a lot of texture lookups, so the filtering could be compounding it. We can change AF globally or on specific textures.

I'll give this some testing tomorrow.

Do you have a machine that experienced a slowdown like the many users reported?

Else I guess its hard to see a feedback when changing parameters.

Always good to have some crap computers in the QA.

I have a GTX 960 in addition to my RTX 2070 in my PC now. I'm using the 960 for now and can tank the Unity editor to 4 FPS, by switching between texture quality levels. Forcing near terrain shader to a single color will jump it up to 55 FPS. Need to look at the heavy parts of that shader. It does have various modes.

I am always an int character at 7d2d and i cant actualy aim bc of both i am not talented mouse control and my fps is low so i fell in love with turret sendrome but there is a problem idk my friends has the same thing so i am not so sure if it is a bug or not ,intellect is all locked it says it needs 1 int but still locked and doesnt show a level need we just confused . We think i guess we need to be lvl 10 to open intellect part maybe idk .

I have a GTX 960 in addition to my RTX 2070 in my PC now. I'm using the 960 for now and can tank the Unity editor to 4 FPS, by switching between texture quality levels. Forcing near terrain shader to a single color will jump it up to 55 FPS. Need to look at the heavy parts of that shader. It does have various modes.

From 4 to 55 FPS, everything else being the same? Sounds like the main culprit then.

Oooo that's my video card...*Does a Mr. Burns* "Excellent"

Archived