Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

7 hours ago, Armor9 said:

I'm in the same boat.  Used to be daily, then weekly, now its monthly and sadly, nothing new in months.  Might need to change to quarterly...

Heck Madmole hasn't even been on the website since September 2022.  If A21 is out before June, I'll be shocked.  My money is on August for A21 with A22 comming in the middle to end of 2024.

Yeah, definitely not counting on A22 by Spring 2023 like they said.

On 3/16/2022 at 1:02 PM, Roland said:

Pot is now required to boil murky water into boiled water

(From page 1 Confirmed A21 Features)

now I'm confused.  Isn't that the current old way that is being removed for A21? 

Is Boiled Water a new resource, different from drinkable water from the dew collector?  

37 minutes ago, Dreyseth said:

(From page 1 Confirmed A21 Features)

now I'm confused.  Isn't that the current old way that is being removed for A21? 

Is Boiled Water a new resource, different from drinkable water from the dew collector?  

You can still find murky water in A21. You can boil it and then it will be drinkable water. The dew collectors are there to give you a reliable source of drinkable water. 

What is removed in A21 are the empty jars. You can't craft them and you can't find them.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

36 minutes ago, Dreyseth said:

No. Empty Jars are being removed.

Have you missed all the discussions where some players were @%$#ed off because it makes no sense to not be able to fill empty jars with water?

14 minutes ago, Gronal said:

Did you know that currently, in A20, you do not need a cooking pot to boil jars of murky water?

I did notice it oddly not too long ago. Was still used to cans of water could be boiled without a pot, but jars only with a pot. Gotta read those release notes and not just do what you "know"

7 hours ago, DuHast_Play said:

I wonder if there is content that the developers have never mentioned, but it will be and will blow our heads off just completely?)

I don't know if they will blow minds or not but there are few things that haven't been mentioned that I know of that are coming in the update. There are some surprises in store to be sure.

31 minutes ago, Roland said:

I don't know if they will blow minds or not but there are few things that haven't been mentioned that I know of that are coming in the update. There are some surprises in store to be sure.

According to an anonymous source one still undisclosed feature will be new safety measures for workstations. You will be required to wear safety gloves and a helmet when you work at one, and there will be a panic switch and protective covers on dangerous elements. Workplace safety has a high priority at TFP obviously

On 2/14/2023 at 7:09 AM, Laz Man said:

I can already imagine how ridiculous a player would look like stuck in a climbing animation while spinning around looking in different directions.

Although I can follow the logic in general, I have to say:

There are lots of things happening in this game that look/are/have at least the same degree of "strangeness" as this.

-fly/ride a vehicle fully submerged.

-dig away stuff underneath thingys, and they start to "float" because they're invisibly attached to other stuff sideways by a solid string of air.

-behaviour when you squeeze-clip yourself through half-blocks and/or some "fence blocks" (your head/pov is always inside the above material)

-"water" (place and remove blocks under water and see what happens)

...just to name a very few that somewhat line up with this supposedly "would look too weird if it were done" thingy.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care or complain that there should be a proper climbing animation.

I'm ok with the strangeness as is. And I wouldn't complain either if there was an animation that would look weird...cause it would line up quite well with all the dozens and hundreds of other "common" weird things in this game that you don't even recognize anymore after some time,

because they're part of "unfinished business" or mainly even unmanageable/given facts because of engine limitations.

Just sayin', the point "it would look weird if.." is not really a legit argument if you ask me.

Let's just say there are other priorities.

1 hour ago, Roland said:

I know a couple of things that could be added that are out there as mods now that I would really appreciate.

1.) The campfire/forge turning off when things are finished cooking/smelting.

2.) Being able to lock specific slots as I like certain things in certain spot in my inv and them not moving when batch moving stuff or sorting.

1 hour ago, Roland said:

yeah like the ####s and the ####s which should catch a few off guard..

Spoiler

hope i didnt give away too much info there. <wipes forehead>

On 2/13/2023 at 5:48 AM, unholyjoe said:

why do you seriously think that.... i have in real life seen our own german shephard dog climb a step ladder.
but i snatched these from youtube.. they arent fake

Hide contents

But this is not a vertical ladder, in the video they work like stairs, not ladders ;)

1 hour ago, meilodasreh said:

Although I can follow the logic in general, I have to say:

There are lots of things happening in this game that look/are/have at least the same degree of "strangeness" as this.

-fly/ride a vehicle fully submerged.

-dig away stuff underneath thingys, and they start to "float" because they're invisibly attached to other stuff sideways by a solid string of air.

-behaviour when you squeeze-clip yourself through half-blocks and/or some "fence blocks" (your head/pov is always inside the above material)

-"water" (place and remove blocks under water and see what happens)

...just to name a very few that somewhat line up with this supposedly "would look too weird if it were done" thingy.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care or complain that there should be a proper climbing animation.

I'm ok with the strangeness as is. And I wouldn't complain either if there was an animation that would look weird...cause it would line up quite well with all the dozens and hundreds of other "common" weird things in this game that you don't even recognize anymore after some time,

because they're part of "unfinished business" or mainly even unmanageable/given facts because of engine limitations.

Just sayin', the point "it would look weird if.." is not really a legit argument if you ask me.

Let's just say there are other priorities.

True, however, when someone is asking for something to look less weird (no climbing animation) in exchange for something else that also looks more weird (janky climbing animation), that isn't an improvement in my book.  Semantics at this point regarding "Anything" being better than "Nothing" comment...

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

4 hours ago, meganoth said:

According to an anonymous source one still undisclosed feature will be new safety measures for workstations. You will be required to wear safety gloves and a helmet when you work at one, and there will be a panic switch and protective covers on dangerous elements. Workplace safety has a high priority at TFP obviously

One of the bandit designs the team is working on is an OSHA inspector.  That's why bandits got pushed back to A22 as the team hasn't figured out how to trigger an infraction and send out the notice / fine for it.

1 hour ago, BFT2020 said:

One of the bandit designs the team is working on is an OSHA inspector.

Another good reason to keep them away from our bases, while building. 

Would actually building, create some sort of heat map and provoke the bandits spawn.

I know some of you guys, who find building ingame awesome and great could find it anoying, but .. sort of why not, as we are in their territory, invading? 

On 2/14/2023 at 10:35 AM, Laz Man said:

I also would love to see an airport POI one day.  However, I don't think it's in the cards for 1.0.  I would imagine the big blockers is art support and RWG code support.

Although we can hodge podge some airplanes and other airport assets with shapes, it wouldn't look good enough to stand toe to toe with our art standards.  

Regarding RWG support, we would need a way to spawn tiles in a way to support the foot print of a runway.

We don't have airports in A21 but there are a couple surprises in store yet...😉

On 2/14/2023 at 11:47 AM, meganoth said:

I just checked and I didn't see anything to specify sides on a tile where no other tile should attach. I assume you mean that that is missing, right?

Yeah, I think that would be generally something needed for the tile system to get some interesting applications. Likewise you should be able to specify a group of tiles that can attach to some side of a tile exclusively. In fact such a feature would also make it possible to specify a no-attach side, solving two problems.

I know I posted an idea in Pimp Dreams, as did zztong for ways to link tiles in a specific way.  There are so many things you can do if you have control over what types can and cannot connect to one another.  This would be an amazing improvement, allowing for a great many new map features.  You can do airports, rivers on tiles that allow for riverside POI, train tracks, elevated roads, subway and sewer tunnels, etc.  Just adding a way to control how tiles connect in RWG would add so many options. 😁

Edit: upon consideration, I think the best option for this is to have a numeric or alphanumeric code parameter for each side of a tile.  Only tiles with matching codes on a given side can connect.  This allows control of what can connect together without a significant amount of work for the game developers or POI designers.  And unlike my original suggestion in Pimp Dreams, this is far easier to do and results in the same end results.  By using a code, you never have to change your tile if you want a new tile to be able to connect to it.  Just use the code on the new tile and you are done.  If you specify what tiles can connect by name, then you have to edit a tile to allow other tiles to connect, which increases how much work it takes to add new tiles.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)