Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

1 hour ago, zztong said:

The web tells me there are 33 swamps in AZ. I don't know any of them personally. Perhaps all/some/many are man-made and the pictures don't necessarily give me a creepy remote bayou feel, but maybe there's enough to say "sure, let's do a swamp biome" ... ?

I looked at some but I'm sure they could take creative liberty with it and you also gotta think how it would realistic look in game.  Like the water biome 

Make it 2 skulls, have crawlers and maybe naturally spawning feral zombies or even spider zombies thicker trees, dirt, sand and gravel on the ground.  Water alots of dirty stinky water

Screenshot_20240221_124344_YouTube.jpg

On 2/19/2024 at 10:06 PM, Fanatical_Meat said:

If you want a finished game DO NOT BUY EARLY ACCESS GAMES. 
it is perfectly fine to want a finished game, it is perfectly fine to have your own wants & needs. Buying a game that is clearly stated as not finished/complete and complaining that it’s not finished or complete is not fine.

I understand that, but how can a game just continue to be in Early Access and NEVER finish? How is that an acceptable business model?

On 2/19/2024 at 7:28 PM, Adam the Waster said:

This alpha should help out with optimization

It hasn't from what I can tell. Rendering on the game when I'm on a faster vehicle is terrible. Cars will spawn in the middle of the road when I'm a foot away from them or won't even spawn at all and I will hit an invisible car.

8 hours ago, BADxW0LF said:

I understand that, but how can a game just continue to be in Early Access and NEVER finish? How is that an acceptable business model?

They're still in business. Isn't that the true measure of a business model?

You might consider their development practices to be atypical for software development in the gaming industry. (It isn't atypical in the wider world of software development.) That doesn't mean it is unacceptable. Your argument is what my friends call a "Dogs Playing Poker" discussion. (Is it art, or not? -- There's no right or wrong answer.) You're essentially expressing an opinion that "it's not art."

14 hours ago, BADxW0LF said:

It does it just stays early access. There are no promises given.

Early access is a risk, the game could never “finish development” or it could become something you don’t like. Early Access has risks and one needs to be comfortable with that risk.

18 hours ago, BADxW0LF said:

Considering we are seeing significant visual improvements (art, animation, etc.) both in A21 and in A22, it is a good indication they are nearing gold.  So saying it'll never finish is untrue.  Games can often take 5-10 years to complete.  You just don't notice because they often will have multiple years of work done before they even announce the game.  And even once announced, you can have many years before it's available to play.  Early Access is for people who want to play something before it is finished and are willing to accept the risk that it might not be what they like once it's finished, or it might be released as gold with so many bugs that it's unplayable, or it might take a long time before release, or it could be dropped and never released.  These are known risks when you buy any Early Access game.  If you aren't willing to accept those risks, you should avoid Early Access games.

On 2/25/2024 at 5:26 AM, BADxW0LF said:

For the players it has advantages too, so many or most of them support TFP in this. They get something like a slightly buggier games-as-a-service game that keeps changing into a somewhat different version every year (because of all the changes and feature redesigns), but without the costs.

Since you have performance problems you might see it different. But performance problems just mean your hardware isn't good enough for the game. Because of it using voxels for the whole world down to rock bottom it needs a lot more CPU power than other games of comparable graphics quality. Many players here play the game with FPS above 100 and have no problems driving the motorbike at max speed. You are correct though that the view distance is quite limited.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)