Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

• Roland pinned this topic
2 hours ago, Roland said:

Welcome to the Alpha 21 Developer Diary where members of The Fun Pimp staff will occasionally answer questions, post updates of what they are working on, and give us sneak peaks into the future of 7 Days to Die.

This is a focused thread meaning that any off-topic chatter or side conversations not involving a TFP staff member will be moved to an overflow thread in general discussions.

In addition, only Alpha 21 features that have been confirmed will show up in the list below. No longer will planned and hoped-for features be posted until they are actually a reality. This means that even though a developer might talk about their wishes for A21 in the body of the thread, those features will not be listed as official A21 features here until they are confirmed as already implemented.

A21 Release Date: "Done When It's Done"

CONFIRMED A21 FEATURES

• New Places of Interest
  • Updated and New (Decorative) Vehicle Models

Well finaly :)

So i hope we will see skeleton prop :)

Water overhaul, bandits, and the wandering sleeper mechanic is what I'm hoping for. Anything else is just icing. 

I really hope wandering sleepers become the new Active sleeper in that they are used the most. I feel like having the vast majority as wandering sleepers would make them seem more organic, almost like they aren't sleepers at all. 

Edited by bdubyah (see edit history)

Just now, bdubyah said:

Water overhaul, bandits, and the wandering sleeper mechanic is what I'm hoping for. Anything else is just icing. 

well they have a programmer who is only task is to work on the water overhaul. I hope its ready in time for A21, and hopefully the new armor system is ready by then also

and I know that pickup is a decorative vehicle to wrench down, bit I would love if the 4x4 got reskinned to look like that and had its audio changed to sound more like a pick up truck than what ever hell the buggy sounds like right now

Outside of the stuff already mentioned by others (bandits, water etc) I'd love to see a bit of love given to making the world outside of the tiled towns/cities feel more real to match the level of detail we see in cities now.

Particularly the the transition between tiled sections and the RWG biomes is quite jarring (the difference in the roads is a good example) and, aside from the current wilderness POIs, the biome stuff outside of towns is very empty/repetitive.

Maybe some sort of sub-biomes are needed like sections of pine forest with less trees or something similar to the old plains for the desert and so on

The rusty/chipped paint look on cars makes me wonder lore-wise how much time has passed since the apocalypse for it to get into this condition

Also Texas license plates! Interesting, they must be visiting Arizona :) (unless RWG maps aren't necessarily in Arizona? I'm probably looking too much into it)

Edited by NekoPawtato (see edit history)

1 hour ago, NekoPawtato said:

The rusty/chipped paint look on cars makes me wonder lore-wise how much time has passed since the apocalypse for it to get into this condition

Also Texas license plates! Interesting, they must be visiting Arizona :) (unless RWG maps aren't necessarily in Arizona? I'm probably looking too much into it)

Actually Navezgane represents Arizona ;)

https://7daystodie.fandom.com/wiki/Navezgane 

10 hours ago, Roland said:

How awesome would it be, if each section of that bandit's armor was randomly present or not on each bandit?

• Instead of the player reacting, "Oh, this is the heavy one, I have to shoot him more," the reaction could be, "Aha, this one's right leg is unprotected!
  • The bandits would look more irregular as an organization, rather than all carrying standardized (albeit post-apocalyptic) equipment for their combat role.
  • They'd have more individual variety when seen in groups.

The best character art still falls apart when multiple characters are inexplicable clones.  My fear is we'll see the one on the left in game and be able to say, "Oh yeah, red bandana dude. That's banditSteve. He runs at the tier 3 speed, and has iron knuckles and a double-barreled shotgun, every time."  That gets old after the first ten or a hundred of them.

And yes, I would hope the same system (call it 'random character generation' to complement random world generation), if added, could be used for zombies.

Edited by Crater Creator (see edit history)

"Another settlement needs your help".

If 7D2D ever gets there, I will be so happy they well have to make a new word for that level of happiness! 

What that could mean is:

-Interactive NPC's both protagonist and antagonist.

-Please review the first item again.  :)

9 hours ago, Roland said:

Not until it is actually confirmed as clinched for A21 by a developer. If it ends up getting punted again then I'd rather not add it at all. Patience. The features of A21 will be added when the developers reveal them. Until then, nothing is being transfered from the old list to the new list and if it hurts to read the old list because it says something got pushed to A21 and it isn't showing up here....well.....the solution is to stop reading the old list.

The Fun Pimps are headquartered in Texas. It's a reference to them.

Oh i see- i was thinking that was told during live stream so it is comfirmed 

8 hours ago, Crater Creator said:

How awesome would it be, if each section of that bandit's armor was randomly present or not on each bandit?

• Instead of the player reacting, "Oh, this is the heavy one, I have to shoot him more," the reaction could be, "Aha, this one's right leg is unprotected!
  • The bandits would look more irregular as an organization, rather than all carrying standardized (albeit post-apocalyptic) equipment for their combat role.
  • They'd have more individual variety when seen in groups.

The best character art still falls apart when multiple characters are inexplicable clones.  My fear is we'll see the one on the left in game and be able to say, "Oh yeah, red bandana dude. That's banditSteve. He runs at the tier 3 speed, and has iron knuckles and a double-barreled shotgun, every time."  That gets old after the first ten or a hundred of them.

And yes, I would hope the same system (call it 'random character generation' to complement random world generation), if added, could be used for zombies.

Well i have very unsual opinion - zombie need a lot of variants because they were civilians, doctors, soldiers, police etc So you can find zombie with diffent clothes - diffrent thirts, jackets, pants , shoes etc- like in l4d2.

Bandits and humans are diffrent - why? Well stalker is good example - bandits there wear similiar clothes ( well because to make less outfits in games but it was explaned in books) because if your friend get shot by bandits you will not know who was this guy and you will not try hunt this bandit down because you will never find "right" one. And another reason- they were using "armors" made before outbreake used by military , police etc so this is pretty logical that it will looks similiar- and bandits here are not freaks from  cheap 80 B-movie when bandits looks like BDSM fans.  Bandits before outbreak were norrmal people so they wearing normal clothes.  Another thing - bandits works in groups so they wearing similiar clothes to avoid be killed by acccident. So  put bandits in 3 groups - light , medium and heavy is good option.

5 hours ago, Aldranon said:

"Another settlement needs your help".

If 7D2D ever gets there, I will be so happy they well have to make a new word for that level of happiness! 

What that could mean is:

-Interactive NPC's both protagonist and antagonist.

-Please review the first item again.  :)

I  hope it never happens. 

Humans are the most boring things in zombie games and movies. 

Well protagonist of "i'm legend" ( i know there were vampires) had preety calm live until he met another human xd

well good were getting new cars too scrap!

would be neet if the 4X4 had a shape tool to make it look like the other cars in game but more makeshift!

man can dream

oh and the other 1000 things i asked for...

46 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Oh i see- i was thinking that was told during live stream so it is comfirmed 

Well i have very unsual opinion - zombie need a lot of variants because they were civilians, doctors, soldiers, police etc So you can find zombie with diffent clothes - diffrent thirts, jackets, pants , shoes etc- like in l4d2

I agree too a Point, no clue why some games can do it and some can't.

but for now i think a color region system could work for now. too change hair color, cloths and skin color

24 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

well good were getting new cars too scrap!

would be neet if the 4X4 had a shape tool to make it look like the other cars in game but more makeshift!

man can dream

oh and the other 1000 things i asked for...

I agree too a Point, no clue why some games can do it and some can't.

but for now i think a color region system could work for now. too change hair color, cloths and skin color

Well i think it could help a lot because even clothes colour can do a lot . But still i think 7dtd still need more at least 50 variants of zombie. Because.. well in zombie game zombies are most important

10 hours ago, Crater Creator said:

Oh yes I greatly support this idea!

General "bigger armored guy has overall more hitpoints" would be somewhat meh,

but being able to specifically target unprotected areas  (limbs 😏) on individual enemies to take advantage in some situation, e.g.

-weapon arm causing bad aim (of course)

-leg causing limp/slower movement (...no kidding...🙄)

-shooting off helmet giving a chance to let him flee/panic or at least keep him hiding behind cover

-...stuff

...wow, enumerating this feels so stupid, as it sounds absolutely logic that it should be like that,

I really hope there's nothing about the game engine or whatever to prevent implementation of some kind of such system!

*fingers crossed*

I notice the emphasis on the cars being DECORATIVE.

I will repeat here, since it is A21 content related, (and this is especially re: the SUV and pickup) - can we please get working versions that do not require modding?

Those two cars are looking amazing and I think it would be fantastic to be able to fix them up, new battery and wheels, oil etc, and drive them around the apocalypse.

They look like a perfect opportunity to really take the early game (and game up) another level.

Cheers.

Edited by Beelzebubs Ghost (see edit history)

19 hours ago, POCKET951 said:

well they have a programmer who is only task is to work on the water overhaul. I hope its ready in time for A21, and hopefully the new armor system is ready by then also

and I know that pickup is a decorative vehicle to wrench down, bit I would love if the 4x4 got reskinned to look like that and had its audio changed to sound more like a pick up truck than what ever hell the buggy sounds like right now

Water is making good progress, so there is a good chance it will be in A21.

12 minutes ago, faatal said:

so there is a good chance it will be in A21.

Definitely doesn't count as a confirmation.

You know how to play the game 😄

Really I love and hate you,

having the guts to come here as a dev, to make a vague assumption right into the heart of the "dev-confirmed feature" discussion!😂

Edited by meilodasreh (see edit history)