Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

10 hours ago, darkangel_ said:

yeye all look very beautiful,but try to optimize this game,64gb ram,i9 13900k,rtx 3090 and this @%$# fps drops to 20 ,10,40,or less in buildings,or places with a lot of things,all graphics less to low and is unplayable,do a better work or let game die

At the moment I would suggest to turn off reflections and/or shadows completely, not only to low. In my case at least I don't experience big drops in cities, but if I turn on one of those even to low I get noticable drops. I play on a ryzen 5 2600x middle class cpu from 4 years ago and have always had smooth performance in cities, never going below 40 fps.

And you could turn off dynamic mesh, I consider this an experimental feature still in A20.

This should be different in A21 as Naz said, that specific performance problem in cities was fixed or at least diminished.

6 hours ago, Naz said:

A21 has that glass block optomisation which should help in the cities. There may be others too we'll have to wait and see, but they do optimize along the way. Maybe not 100% dedicated to that 1 task since like you said it would waste too much time optomising a feature that then gets cut or completely changed, but they have made consistent tweaks to improve performance over the alpha's. I think it's too close to a new alpha to evaluate performance atm since it could all change when a21 drops, I wouldn't expect massive gains but an improvement to the playability of cities is definitely possible imo.

I also have a 13900k and 3090. I've also done significant benchmarking on this game and can say very certainly a 3090 is no pumpkin. You have to keep in mind the other Benchmarks you see online are usually the latest aaa games, older indie and alpha games are no where near as demanding on the gpu and are almost always cpu bound with a 3090 even at 4k in 7dtds case. The 13900k is one of the fastest cpus for gaming currently and it still gets cpu bound in most of the games I play and definitely for 7dtd, so you wouldn't get anywhere near the performance improvement seen in Benchmarks of games like cyberpunk 2077, I'd be willing to bet you probably wouldn't see any noticeable increase in performance going from a 3090 to a 4090 in 7dtd.

It's also nothing new and not exclusive to 1 specific gpu that when a new generation comes out the value to performance ratio of the previous generation dives off a cliff. If you buy new hardware it's generally an accepted reality that, 1 the Value of the hardware depreciates significantly over time and 2 the new hardware will only be the latest and greatest for a matter of months at most.

GPUs also don't just become paper weights when a new generation comes out, they still provide exactly the same performance they did on launch day. According to the steam hardware survey the gtx 1060 is still among the most popular gpus currently. That gpu is 3 generations old, released over 6 years ago. So most people are happy with their cards performance for many years.

It's very strange that someone didn't understand the joke about the pumpkin.This is a joke about the endless race of GPUs.As soon as a new flagship comes out, the previous one "turns into a pumpkin".

On 07.02.2023 at 01:21, Space4Ace said:

Я не думаю, что это когда-нибудь произойдет. У нас есть дрон в качестве "домашнего животного". Дрон следует за вами и помогает вам (и даже иногда мешает), как это сделали бы любые прирученные домашние животные.

Роланд, вероятно, сможет ответить на этот вопрос лучше, чем я; но, если мне не изменяет память, это больше не планируется.

thank you for responding. But I will still beg and ask the developers to be able to add a tame wolf or dog. It's just my dream to have my own pet wolf in this wonderful game. Maybe my pleas will be heard so I won't give up.

10 hours ago, Aldranon said:

From a "realism" gaming point of view:

-Lag spikes alert the player to a large group of zombies.

-Player immersion can be disrupted.

That's why I play using 8k/UHD resolution and ultra quality settings with my Intel Pentium PC.

Absolutely no way I can distinguish those telltale frame drops from the regular slideshow.

...yes, I know, I'm brilliant. Feel free to use the same trick for consistent/non-cheating immersive gameplay....sorry I mean g......a......m......e......p......l......a.......y......

Guys, I like your game that you gave us. 7 days to die is one of my most favorite games, but it really lacks four-legged friends. I really love dogs. I have two Rottweilers and one Czech breed dog at home. And in this game I just need a pet. I'm begging you guys, please add a pet system to the game, I'm willing to pay you for the work as much as you say. Please, I beg you, I would really like you to add the possibility of having a pet wolf or dog.

10 minutes ago, Dimasic-Colbasic said:

Guys, I like your game that you gave us. 7 days to die is one of my most favorite games, but it really lacks four-legged friends. I really love dogs. I have two Rottweilers and one Czech breed dog at home. And in this game I just need a pet. I'm begging you guys, please add a pet system to the game, I'm willing to pay you for the work as much as you say. Please, I beg you, I would really like you to add the possibility of having a pet wolf or dog.

There it is   --  You guys got your directive, now get to work.

24 minutes ago, Dimasic-Colbasic said:

thank you for responding. But I will still beg and ask the developers to be able to add a tame wolf or dog. It's just my dream to have my own pet wolf in this wonderful game. Maybe my pleas will be heard so I won't give up.

17 minutes ago, Dimasic-Colbasic said:

You are certainly welcome to keep asking but not quite so frequently please.

45 minutes ago, Dimasic-Colbasic said:

Been spoken about many times, there will be no pets. Pathing is just too much of an issue and I believe it is a performance hit.

Drones are the “pets” 

Maybe Fun Pimps next game(s) will allow pets

1 hour ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Been spoken about many times, there will be no pets. Pathing is just too much of an issue and I believe it is a performance hit.

Drones are the “pets” 

Maybe Fun Pimps next game(s) will allow pets

The solution is a new skin resulting in a dog that hovers around you and says stuff like "Woof. I detect something ...." with a female voice.

11 hours ago, DuHast_Play said:

My friend, I play on a laptop that is not gaming at all (HP 255G8). settings are about average. 10-13 FPS on average. 20 only when I look at the sky. 7 or more on level 5 missions. and nothing. I don't whine.

Do you have a good internet connection?  You should be able to get better FPS then that if you use GeForce Now.

8 hours ago, Weazelsun said:

Any new decorative blocks items for prefab makers? I hope we get some like ladders or stepladders. That way when I make a prefab with ceiling zombies, I can at least allude to how they got up there. 

There are two many new shapes and decorative blocks to recall from memory.  POI builders will have plenty to work with.

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

The solution is a new skin resulting in a dog that hovers around you and says stuff like "Woof. I detect something ...." with a female voice.

Are we going to see a mod in the future from meganoth of new "pets"  🙂

Sounds like you been putting some thought into it  😉

6 hours ago, Dimasic-Colbasic said:

You need to understand that players jump all over the place and with maxed parkour, the jumps are really crazy.  Making a pet that walks do that isn't something they want to do and, without it, the pet would have to constantly reset it's position to follow you.  Not to mention a dog climbing a ladder is kind of dumb even if they added super jumping to a dog.  Yes, some dogs have been taught to climb a vertical ladder, but that also is dumb, imo.

*Maybe* you could convince them to add alternate flying "pets" as that would just be a different skin and it's different mods, but unlikely any walking pets.

Of course, they could add Q*Bert considering it is used to jumping up and down voxels. 😁

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

29 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Maybe in 7dtd2, ladders will be removed and there will only be ramps...

That's what many other FPS games with companion followers do...😅

That or they teleport the followers up the ladder rather than showing climbing.  It works, but I don't see much benefit to it.  This game doesn't really need an animal companion.  Besides, players would expect an animal companion to attack rather than stand there, which is yet another issue.

56 minutes ago, Riamus said:

That or they teleport the followers up the ladder rather than showing climbing.  It works, but I don't see much benefit to it.  This game doesn't really need an animal companion.  Besides, players would expect an animal companion to attack rather than stand there, which is yet another issue.

True. Could be beneficial in some way, but drone does its own job very well. Well, it doesn`t poop in the middle of the street out of fear when a surprising horde appears, but..us, humans have always had animal companions around us, domesticated and such, through our own evolution irl.

In apocalypse would be indeed very cool feeling to have one, no doubt about that. It is easy to speak about it, but not so easy to implement in such a complicated environment as in this game.

Fingers crossed for a one or more, in 7 ways to die 2 ! 

5 hours ago, unholyjoe said:

as a  refresher... it was said that we wont be doing taming pets in 7dtd but... 7dtd2 may bring some new surprises and technology to allow for the newer stuff and some missed opportunities. we can only hope :)

New Tier 99 POI

Getting there is only half the fun!

New creature: Aliens (their special attack is too humiliating to say) 

NASA is opening the space station to $35,000-a-night visits. A tourist ...

16 hours ago, Laz Man said:

У вас хорошее интернет-соединение? Вы должны иметь возможность улучшить FPS, если используете GeForce Now.

Internet connection is good. A friend connects to my world in the game and everything works. slightly improved FPS to 15 by removing reflections. I won't be able to improve the situation without a new PC... so far, this is the only way to survive)

51 minutes ago, DuHast_Play said:

Internet connection is good. A friend connects to my world in the game and everything works. slightly improved FPS to 15 by removing reflections. I won't be able to improve the situation without a new PC... so far, this is the only way to survive)

Google suggests that your laptop has an AMD Ryzen 5 5500U with integrated graphics.Processor with TDP 25W.Maybe Unity doesn't work well with Vega 7.You are the server host.This is an additional burden.

Edited by mstdv inc (see edit history)