Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

Dear developers, please tell me if you plan to introduce perks like Speech and Barter into the dialogue system? For example, an ordinary NPC guy from the White River faction ran up to you and asked if it was safe in that house. And perk eloquence adds you the ability to deceive him and lead him into a trap to the walking dead. Or, for example, you meet an evil inadequate NPC who talks rudely to you and with the help of pumped skills, for example, "Strength", you intimidate him. He apologizes, gives up all his gear, and runs away in fear. I remember when I played fallout new vegas there was an awesome skill "Scary Man" it was very nice to use. It seems to me that such skills will greatly enhance the role-playing component in the game and the world will seem much more alive.

37 minutes ago, Dimasic-Colbasic said:

Уважаемые разработчики, подскажите пожалуйста, планируете ли вы ввести в диалоговую систему перки вроде Красноречия и Бартера? Например, к вам подбежал обычный NPC из фракции Белой реки и спросил, безопасно ли в том доме. А перк красноречия добавляет вам возможность обмануть его и завести в ловушку к ходячим мертвецам. Или, например, вы встречаете злобного неадекватного NPC, который грубо с вами разговаривает и с помощью прокачиваемых умений, например, "Силы", вы его запугиваете. Он извиняется, бросает все свое снаряжение и в страхе убегает. Я помню, когда я играл в Fallout New Vegas, там был классный навык «Страшный человек», которым было очень приятно пользоваться. Мне кажется, что такие навыки значительно повысят ролевую составляющую в игре и мир будет казаться намного живее.

Dude, I love this idea! I didn't even think about eloquence. This can be applied to merchants as well. for example: The player looks at what he has for sale. After a little threat to him, the merchant gives out several other goods that the player needs more. and so for example 2-3 stages. But in such a way that not the entire inventory changes, but 4-6 items, for example.

3 hours ago, Dimasic-Colbasic said:

Dear developers, please tell me if you plan to introduce perks like Speech and Barter into the dialogue system? For example, an ordinary NPC guy from the White River faction ran up to you and asked if it was safe in that house. And perk eloquence adds you the ability to deceive him and lead him into a trap to the walking dead. Or, for example, you meet an evil inadequate NPC who talks rudely to you and with the help of pumped skills, for example, "Strength", you intimidate him. He apologizes, gives up all his gear, and runs away in fear. I remember when I played fallout new vegas there was an awesome skill "Scary Man" it was very nice to use. It seems to me that such skills will greatly enhance the role-playing component in the game and the world will seem much more alive.

Don't worry about that, because there are no "traditional" NPCs planned. Only bandits... and the only way we'll be "interacting" with them, is guns. :heh:

3 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Не беспокойтесь об этом, потому что «традиционных» NPC не планируется. Только бандиты... и единственный способ, которым мы будем "взаимодействовать" с ними, - это оружие. :хех:

Well said!) It will be necessary to remember)

I think it would be great if there were zones contaminated with radiation, so that the RZK suit would be useful. And, perhaps, the moment with the rain would be interesting. So that, in addition to the usual rain, there could be infected rain, from which it would be necessary to hide. and it would be nice if the blocks did not let light through. so in dungeons without light it would be really dark and even turning the brightness on in the settings to 100% would not help.

2 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

Не беспокойтесь об этом, потому что не планируется никаких "традиционных" NPC. Только бандиты... и единственный способ, которым мы будем "взаимодействовать" с ними, - это оружие. : хех:

Are you friends with the developers? If yes, then I have no questions, although they can keep secrets from friends in order to arrange a surprise. It's just that about 5 years ago I was watching a stream of developers and Joel himself said that there would be friendly NPCs on the map. Like faction wars. I don’t understand then why add factions at all if there will be only bandits from the villains? About a year ago there was a stream and the developers themselves said that people from the white river faction are good guys and you can make friends with them. We launch alpha 16 and open the console and see that in addition to the bandits there are ordinary surviving NPCs, and when such an NPC spawns, it will not attack the player (it will only be slightly modified and such a man will already perfectly complement the game) Perhaps the developers will not want to add such an extended dialog system, but that doesn't mean there won't be friendly NPCs in the game. Even duke bandits will be able to join a faction (according to the developer) and bandits of the 3rd faction are aggressive towards everyone. However, I still will not give up and will sometimes ask about this system and about tame dogs or a wolf.

25 minutes ago, Dimasic-Colbasic said:

Are you friends with the developers? If yes, then I have no questions, although they can keep secrets from friends in order to arrange a surprise. It's just that about 5 years ago I was watching a stream of developers and Joel himself said that there would be friendly NPCs on the map. Like faction wars. I don’t understand then why add factions at all if there will be only bandits from the villains? About a year ago there was a stream and the developers themselves said that people from the white river faction are good guys and you can make friends with them. We launch alpha 16 and open the console and see that in addition to the bandits there are ordinary surviving NPCs, and when such an NPC spawns, it will not attack the player (it will only be slightly modified and such a man will already perfectly complement the game) Perhaps the developers will not want to add such an extended dialog system, but that doesn't mean there won't be friendly NPCs in the game. Even duke bandits will be able to join a faction (according to the developer) and bandits of the 3rd faction are aggressive towards everyone. However, I still will not give up and will sometimes ask about this system and about tame dogs or a wolf.

I'm not friends with the developers. I follow this forum and listen when they speak.

Just recently faatal, one of the lead programmers, stated as much when asked.

From what I understand, adding factions before 1.0 would mean at least 2 more years of development, which I don't think The Fun Pimps are willing to consider.

Also, you can have factions, without having "real" NPCs, meaning that they could add job givers (like traders) also for the bandit faction, and call it a day.

2 hours ago, Dimasic-Colbasic said:

I really wouldn't put much weight in something the developers said they were gonna do last year, nevermind 5 years ago.

On 2/16/2023 at 6:07 AM, Roland said:

“Hey Bill, did you hear a screamer?”

”Maybe…” *looks outside of base* ”Nooooo!!!!!!”

”Is it a screamer horde coming to beat down our base!?!?”

”Worse!  It’s the OSHA inspector! If they get inside we’ll never get this place done in time for the blood moon!!!”

or "Hey Bill, did you pay the taxes, the Duke is angry ?" 

57 minutes ago, sillls said:

I am wondering when we will see random people in the game? Not just bandits and Traders but people who haven't been turned. 

I wonder when we will see this White River settlement that the player is introduced to at the start of the game. 

People wandering around is unlikely IMO. Unity just isn’t up to that task, they had to reduce the types of zombies to allow for bandits. 
I could be wrong just seems unlikely to me.

Maybe the next game will allow that.

On 2/13/2023 at 8:53 AM, Roland said:

Spamming quests won’t necessarily get you the magazines you really want because they might not take you to the type of POIs that match in theme. 

spamming quests may not get you the magazines but they will get you higher tier loot far before you can craft it making magazines only a benefit in the sense of increasing your skill with those items. 

42 minutes ago, gunner1912 said:

spamming quests may not get you the magazines but they will get you higher tier loot far before you can craft it making magazines only a benefit in the sense of increasing your skill with those items. 

Magazines don’t increase your skill with those items. They only unlock recipes. 

3 hours ago, sillls said:

Yikes! I hope your wrong 

Look at the good stuff. 7D2D offers amazing building, amazingly creative building or traps, awesome random world generation and some really nice views. Also enjoyably different game play than that from big budget titles plus it is crazy fun to play with friends. Finally the horde mechanic is first of its kind to my knowledge.

7D2D is a great game even in its unfinished state. The cost of the game is quite cheap in relation to what you get out of it. I wish more game companies would make awesome & fun stuff for less than $25.

Look at the good news and what the future may bring, the Pimps certainly have learned something and that knowledge can be transferred to a new game with a more modern game engine.

We can all hope and I hope I am wrong, just don’t be disappointed if it doesn’t happen in this game.

Edited by Fanatical_Meat (see edit history)

image.thumb.png.01c875ebd8c3984c321ce1296c1bde6d.png

out of curiosity can we get confirmation if this bug has been fixed? animal tracker the perk is bugged in mp where it says there are animal tracks around but no animals appear however they only appear in a radius roughly 40 metres then if they get closer it just blinks out and it has been an issue for a long time in peer to peer games.

note: when you're the host it doesnt appear bugged however if you are connected to someones else's peer to peer session it doesnt function correctly as it does in solo and it seems to occur when you are using glasses or the cigar that buff you.

Edited by Callum123456789 (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Callum123456789 said:

animal tracker the perk is bugged in mp where it says there are animal tracks around but no animals appear

Not a bug.

That happens if you are fully specced into animal tracker.

Then you are so very sensitive in tracking even really small animals like worms, snails and stuff, which are easy to miss when you don't look closely.

...oh wait. Then it actually might be a bug after all!