Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

On 11/22/2021 at 7:56 PM, Blake_ said:

@faatal do you know if there's still no word on when will the art team replace the decals placed on roads, dirt and other places ?, I know it's not your department, but I noticed that they are here since Alpha 1 and they are starting to look so out of place that I personally wouldn't mind a fresh look on those blood splatters, smashed cardboards and newspapers. 

The "lore" that some of those newspapers is cool though. 

Anyway, they are just a nice to have for a20 I guess. Thanks for listening !

No changes for A20. They should still be on the art todo list.

3 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Thanks, I think? Lol

Yeah the team has alot of large POIs planned.  Some of which were not possible without good art support and the Xtreme block cowboy, lol.

Well i think this POI's needs skeletons you know?

2 hours ago, SnowDog1942 said:

I have a large POI

in my pants.

Nah. newsstand poi is bigger

2 hours ago, POCKET951 said:
3 hours ago, SnowDog1942 said:

I have a large POI

in my pants.

doesn't matter how big it is if I can get a quest for it and clear it in 10 seconds

bachgaman will speedrun him twice in 3 seconds, no matter how infested and radiated that area might be.

A20 conundrum I need some advice on.  

We are looking forward to A20.  My wife and son want to continue playing on Navezgane when we have to restart.  I would rather start on a new map.  Maybe its because I have been meta gaming and know where all the POIs are and how the entire map looks.  Its great fun to lead my family onto a "random" encounter and find great loot.   "Wow look its a Cathedral, I wonder what's in the basement???"  

1. Will Navegane map be available in A20? If so will that be when it drops or does a third party need to update it first? 

2. If Navegane will be available in A20,  how different will it be?  Different enough that I can re-enjoy its splendors with reclaimed virgin eyes? 

3. What's a good map alternative and more importantly how do I convince my wife and son to leave Navegane for good? 

5 minutes ago, Lord Morphleyes said:

We are looking forward to A20.  My wife and son want to continue playing on Navezgane when we have to restart.  I would rather start on a new map.  Maybe its because I have been meta gaming and know where all the POIs are and how the entire map looks.  Its great fun to lead my family onto a "random" encounter and find great loot.   "Wow look its a Cathedral, I wonder what's in the basement???"  

1. Will Navegane map be available in A20? If so will that be when it drops or does a third party need to update it first? 

2. If Navegane will be available in A20,  how different will it be?  Different enough that I can re-enjoy its splendors with reclaimed virgin eyes? 

3. What's a good map alternative and more importantly how do I convince my wife and son to leave Navegane for good? 

The real question to ask is, why do they want to stay on Navez?  If you can find why, it will help to convince them to try a new map.

I think Navezgane had alot of appeal due to it having most of all of the POIs (especially the skyscrapers) in a somewhat believable configuration (due to it being handcrafted).

In A20 though, the tables may have turned and RWG maps may lead they way...😅

I heard that the maximum recommended size for a RWG map was around 12K due to performance issues beyond that. Is that still applicable for A20?

I've hosted 16K RWG map on A19 and I remember getting a 'rollback' when server stutters so I went aware of the 12K recommendation somewhere here not so long ago. This is for dedicated server I'm talking about.

Cheers!

I don't think there are any more currently active MF (Those drunk MF bugs were all beaten to death in some guys basement!).

Unfortunately, the lower priority bugs saw the "snuff video" and are in hiding.

The basement bug killer is said to now be hosting a "Go home Kraken!" party, with guarantees that all bugs be treated with the respect and dignity they deserve. 

*That is all*

5 hours ago, Laz Man said:

I think Navezgane had alot of appeal due to it having most of all of the POIs (especially the skyscrapers) in a somewhat believable configuration (due to it being handcrafted).

In A20 though, the tables may have turned and RWG maps may lead they way...😅

The more believable placement of the POIs is what draws me to Navezgane every time, and the more realistic road placements. I like junctions! I like the way there's more than one way to get from point A to point B, so when my husband says "I think this way is faster!" I can beat him to where we're going and laugh when he gets lost.

Will Navezgane still have one of each of the buildings on the map?

11 hours ago, Lord Morphleyes said:

1. Navezgane will be available in A20. There is no third party involved.

2. I don't think it will be much different. There will be some or all of the ~50 new POIs added probably. Since Navezgane is the map that will tell the story of the final game in its purest form my friends and I will not play it again until this game goes out of Early Access

3. The alternative is RWG which is a highly advanced procedural random map generation (only if you ever tried to program something similar you can appreciate how good it is. But you will see differences to a hand placed map like navezgane that will tell you it is generated by an algorithm). You can simply select one of the PREGEN maps that surely will be delivered with A20 as well or actually generate one yourself. The PREGEN maps are 100% RWG, just provided in case someone has trouble actually generating one (because of bugs).

The name you give to a map is also the key for the generation algorithm, use the same map name and get the same world (if you are playing the same alpha version). So for a fresh experience always use a new world name, even if it is just changing one letter.

Archived