Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

1 hour ago, Gazz said:

No primitive item has random variation because of the low cost they would all be trivial to spam-craft until you have the "good one".

That is not gameplay that we want to encourage.

That is understandable in theory. I would guess, that put into practice you wouldn't see this very much because by the time you have enough supplies to "spam-craft" you are likely to have already reached the next tier of weapons.

2 hours ago, Gazz said:

No primitive item has random variation because of the low cost they would all be trivial to spam-craft until you have the "good one".

That is not gameplay that we want to encourage.

There's no spam craft and you know it. Crafting armours gives always the same output as far as I know. I meant for the looting. What fun is it to find 6 green boots on day 1 if all of them are the same? I know it's a ridiculous value because they have little defense, but now.... now we have A DECIMAL ! (Lol) that we can use to get 0.1-0.9 variation. Just think about it. Caress the notion. Lick the circumstances.

I just thought of a possibly neat little addition for the air drops.

If you hear a helicopter, that could mean possible weapons & ammo & the standard airplane could mean meds & food. 

Also a question regarding airdrops...do they ever despawn? I've never tested this as when I do play with them on, mostly I turn airdrops off or make them every 7 days, my ocd kicks in & I have to go get the airdrop right away or mark it as a quick waypoint to get the 1st thing next day. 

39 minutes ago, beerfly said:

Bit of offtopic, but..

What sort of printing paper do you use, mate ?  

I hope photo paper, 6x9s and lots of them spread on the floor to make a alter type collage, covered in Crisco oil so when he slides around nude the ink will transfer to his skin like a fruit roll up tattoo.

17 hours ago, Kalex said:

People are so damned impatient.

I love the game in it's current state, and don't personally post about requesting release dates or have an interest in bugging. But this is kinda hilarious on a forum for a game with an 8 year alpha phase.

25 minutes ago, Holmes108 said:

I love the game in it's current state, and don't personally post about requesting release dates or have an interest in bugging. But this is kinda hilarious on a forum for a game with an 8 year alpha phase.

50% of this forum is either people who defend everything of the fun pimps even if they started using child labour, or people who constantly complain about the game not receiving an update every 3 sec. It's hard to find normal opinions every once in a while lol

The problem is that The Fun Pimps have a long history of absent project management. Lack of roadmap, lack of planned deliverables, massive scope creep, multiple failed release dates for deliverables, etc. For example, A20 has been officially delayed two times and will be the first content deliverable in over a year. This is something that simply would not in any way, shape, or form fly for any larger development studio, and so people on average don't expect it, and can be upset by the unexpected.

In The Fun Pimp's case, I'm not going to defend the lack of project management, but I will also say - "It's none of my f'n business". If they take to long that I lose interest and forget about the game, then their practices failed. As long as I still pay attention for patches, then it may be messy; but it's not failing for me at least. If it's failing for other people and customers / potential customers are being lost because of it - naught to do with me, and I can't presume. Maybe at the end of the day, they don't care about running it like a business, and they just want to have fun making whatever they want to make, and get it out when they get it out. We shouldn't expect them to operate like a business regarding it.

At the end of the day, I'm still here. You're here. Even if you're here complaining, you're here. You've remembered the game, and you're wanting more. Sounds to me like things are at this point still working just fine for us. Here's looking towards less skippable PoI's and more adjustable difficulty!

3 hours ago, SnowDog1942 said:

I have a ritual of printing them out and rubbing them all over my naked body before release.

*sigh*

I was so proud of you because you weren't triggered by my last post, containing the term "...bigger than...".

Your therapy seemed to work out great...and now such a serious relapse...poor little doggy 🥺

...wanna try some of my pills? they're...helpful

8 hours ago, Khalagar said:

Padded isn't even worth scrapping *or* selling

Calling bull@%$# on that one. Padded is the only armor type that does not have mobility, stamina or noise generation penalties. Even with perking to use them, unperked padded is better for not being noticed and moving quickly than every other armor in the game. Frankly though this discussion is moot. Padded is going to be gone in A21 when they swap over to their inhouse character system, if that doesn't get delayed.

10 minutes ago, Aldranon said:

The game is good.  Lot of stuff to do and different ways to do them.

There is always new content (Mods and/or new alphas).

There is room for growth built/planed in for a late game.  No dead ends at mid-game like many survival games today.  

Well in my opinon -  after you get steel weapons there is nothing to do.  I think this game need bosses like valheim. In the forest you have one "target" find your son so you know what to do exactly. In valheim you need to kill boss X to get Y to be able to find better stuff to do Z

32 minutes ago, Roland said:

If they would put out updates every 3 sec. then I would 100% support them using child labor.

Well i  think children could makes a tons of bugs 😕 so we would getting faster updates but poor quality. Shame

24 minutes ago, Vapid Actions said:

For example, A20 has been officially delayed two times and will be the first content deliverable in over a year. This is something that simply would not in any way, shape, or form fly for any larger development studio

Uh, a lot of "AAA" games basically don't get major updates for over a year. Cyberpunk was delayed multiple times, launched like hot garbage, and then has barely had content since. Anthem etc too

7 Days has had multiple updates to fix bugs etc since A19 launched, it's not like it was abandoned.

6 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

Calling bull@%$# on that one. Padded is the only armor type that does not have mobility, stamina or noise generation penalties. Even with perking to use them, unperked padded is better for not being noticed and moving quickly than every other armor in the game.

as I said, noise and stamina on armor don't matter. Noise generation is irrelevant and you can stick noise reduction mods in if you actually care for some reason, and stamina has stamina mods and you can just take your heavy armor off when going on a 2 mile run which is the only time stamina on armor would matter.  More to the point, there aren't even enough mods to fill up your mod slots currently without using the stamina and noise ones AFAIK, so you basically always end up using heavy armor with the stamina and noise dampening mods anyway

Cloth armor is better than no armor, but not by much, and there's literally no situation where I'd wear it over scrap or even leather armor lol. I get that it's tier 0 armor basically, it just seems weird that there's no tier 0 heavy armor counterpart, and that even for a tier 0 it's meh

10 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Well in my opinon -  after you get steel weapons there is nothing to do.  I think this game need bosses like valheim. In the forest you have one "target" find your son so you know what to do exactly. In valheim you need to kill boss X to get Y to be able to find better stuff to do.

Yes currently, late game needs work.

I believe an intelligent bandit AI could be an extreme threat, even late game (A21 apparently).

I recommend that most bandit AI does not try to outflank the player and maybe have levels of bandit AI where most (level 1 Bandit AI) would ether: Shoot, Scoot or hide.

Higher levels could including flanking and even a sniper or covering fire to keep the players head down while they flank.

9 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

Uh, a lot of "AAA" games basically don't get major updates for over a year. Cyberpunk was delayed multiple times, launched like hot garbage, and then has barely had content since. Anthem etc too

Remind me how well cyberpunk and anthem are doing? I honestly don't know, because their system didn't work for me and I stopped paying attention to them. Cyberpunk a year after the trailer without any sort of updates except for "no known release", then when it did release, at that point I couldn't care less. Anthem - never been a pubg player, but from what I understand it's really only console players still playing, and even then not a whole lot. I also didn't mention "major updates", I mentioned "deliverables". As I was talking about projects, not products. I don't want to derail into a conversation about what project management and deliverables are. If you're interested in it, use the terms "Scrum", "kanban", or "agile" + "project management" for more information on how project management works.

Again, I don't really have a problem with what they're doing - I see it as "We just want to keep making a cool game, so lets just keep adding cool stuff", rather than "We're a business making a product". I was just mentioning why it can be easy to get upset regarding it.

47 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

I think this game need bosses like valheim. In the forest you have one "target" find your son so you know what to do exactly.

Love this idea, not sure if it fits with what they are trying to do with 7 days... but I'd love to see it.  Terraria is another nice example of boss progression within a block filled world.  The

Spoiler

lich

battle in Valheim is one of my favorite boss fights of all time because of how the environment provides cover but also changes over time.  Moder to some extent as well but the

Spoiler

lich

battle feels more iconic maybe due to setting where you summon.

32 minutes ago, Aldranon said:

Yes currently, late game needs work.

I believe an intelligent bandit AI could be an extreme threat, even late game (A21 apparently).

I recommend that most bandit AI does not try to outflank the player and maybe have levels of bandit AI where most (level 1 Bandit AI) would ether: Shoot, Scoot or hide.

Higher levels could including flanking and even a sniper or covering fire to keep the players head down while they flank.

Small lvl bandits = melee/ bow only.

Highter level = better   guns

• Roland unpinned this topic
  • Roland locked this topic