Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

13 hours ago, Lord Morphleyes said:

To his credit though he did redeem himself later when night caught us in the hospital and me and my wife died.  With no headlights or weapon flashlights we got stuck trying to fight in the dark and couldn't coordinate fast enough who was going to hold the flashlight while the others fought.  There were still tears, but he pushed through and fought his way out, beating zombies with his torch.  

So he's a trooper but the game was never made to be particularly child-friendly. The whole M rating and all, y'know?

45 minutes ago, beHypE said:

While I don't really mind the 1+ year dev cycle, I can't exactly say that the content has me absolutely stoked. Vehicle mods are a nice plus but don't add much to gameplay, RWG and other HD assets are cool and all but it's really eye candy and I don't play the game for its graphics. Pipe weapons are going to be a week 1 thing so it doesn't add to the end game experience. 

Happy about the biome game stages as A19 was way too linear for my taste, and I'll finally have a reason to gear up to face snow/desert and its dangers. Regarding POIs well... it's never bad to have more of them but I'd rather have more reasons to loot than more places to find the same old stuff. 

Will play for sure but I can't help but feel like the past 2+ years have been lacking in terms of pure content for seasoned players. 

I think I understand what you mean, but sometimes an alpha just needs to be there for polishing or overhauling already existing systems, such as the RWG this time with all the new POI's. I definitely agree that graphics aren't as important as the core gameplay. A mistake a lot of game devs have made the past years is thinking good graphics can make up for lacking gameplay, but I don't think that's the case for 7 Days to Die.

They can't just ONLY add new content; they also have to update existing systems which they are doing very well in my opinion with the exception of the clothing system going from 10 slots --> 4 slots in a21 (but that's my opinion)

But also think about:

- The feral sense option for zombies (amazing gameplay addition (which is even configurable in 4 settings: disabled, enabled, only at day, only at night))

- The new city generation (which isn't just visually-wise cool but also gameplay-wise because we haven't discovered all those new POI's and tiles yet (and thus not knowing for traps or other things))

- The new weapons and items (which you noted indeed)

- New end-game zombies and zombies overall being able to crawl through holes exactly just like the player is able to do

- Loot and gamestaging being overhaled

There will probably be another alpha or gold where they will focus mainly on gameplay aspects :)

Edited by Burrfly (see edit history)

I personally think currently the game really needs: legendary weapons and armour, water, quests (lots), random road/biome spawns with lore, water improvements and character creation system that results in varied npcs or even entities in future alphas.

From there, core systems will be finished for good. A way to make scripted and non-scripted quest-making easier for devs is also a must, I mean, 3 months per added quest might just be too much.

1 hour ago, meilodasreh said:

there's a great modlet you should try to hook up.

fs22.jpg.3283c6a5e2d7640e6dc68ab4adb6bbd2.jpg

Maybe I'm mixing up stuff, I'm not into modding...it says "available now", but also someting about A22 

Where are my pills anyway?

In another mod:

drugdealsimulator.jpg.4389d2fe0b16bc3fd13b81bebf9e1241.jpg

1 hour ago, Burrfly said:

I think I understand what you mean, but sometimes an alpha just needs to be there for polishing or overhauling already existing systems, such as the RWG this time with all the new POI's. I definitely agree that graphics aren't as important as the core gameplay. A mistake a lot of game devs have made the past years is thinking good graphics can make up for lacking gameplay, but I don't think that's the case for 7 Days to Die.

They can't just ONLY add new content; they also have to update existing systems which they are doing very well in my opinion with the exception of the clothing system going from 10 slots --> 4 slots in a21 (but that's my opinion)

The problem is that I feel that has been the case for a while now. I'm not sure I remember the complete change list of A18, but for sure A19 was already more of a polish then an addition of core gameplay aspects.

I fully understand we're at a time where the product is mostly 'done' and we're getting into a shipping state. But bandits to only name them have been postponed for years now, and honestly if you have played consistently it's getting quite redundant at this point. 

I know you can just 'have some time off' and 'skip alphas' but I've mostly skipped A19 already and I'm kinda disappointed that the only feature I'm truly happy about in A20 is what A19 should have shipped in the first place (tiered biomes). 

Oh well, maybe I might just love it anyways. 

10 hours ago, POCKET951 said:

well if that could be done in a mod for an ancient alpha, how much of a stretch would it be to add it as part of the core game down the line?

I think it was never released as it would put so much strain on most computers it would have made the game unplayable. Also if you think people were complaining of being griefed now...imagine if this were in the game.

I would have enjoyed this mod he made though. Am not sure if this one was ever released either though.

Is it too late to report on the bug tracker? I found an issue where if you enter the interface of a shotgun turret, SMG turret, dart trap, electric timer relay, motion sensor, or spotlight, the ability to nerdpole or pick up frames is severely crippled. In other words, your camera has to be in a very specific position to pick up or place frames, and sometimes it won't let you do this at all. A simple relog fixes this.

5 hours ago, beHypE said:

The problem is that I feel that has been the case for a while now. I'm not sure I remember the complete change list of A18, but for sure A19 was already more of a polish then an addition of core gameplay aspects.

I fully understand we're at a time where the product is mostly 'done' and we're getting into a shipping state. But bandits to only name them have been postponed for years now, and honestly if you have played consistently it's getting quite redundant at this point. 

I know you can just 'have some time off' and 'skip alphas' but I've mostly skipped A19 already and I'm kinda disappointed that the only feature I'm truly happy about in A20 is what A19 should have shipped in the first place (tiered biomes). 

Oh well, maybe I might just love it anyways. 

Hopefully there is enough to keep veterans entertained until A21. 

Keep in mind modders will surely take advantage of all of the new game events from the twitch integration to make even cooler mods for the community to get enjoyment from.  Prefab makers will also be busy making their own content based on the new tile system.  Lots of foundational systems have gone into A20 that should hopefully inject many hours of fun.

9 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Hopefully there is enough to keep veterans entertained until A21. 

Keep in mind modders will surely take advantage of all of the new game events from the twitch integration to make even cooler mods for the community to get enjoyment from.  Prefab makers will also be busy making their own content based on the new tile system.  Lots of foundational systems have gone into A20 that should hopefully inject many hours of fun.

well i think twitch integration will do a lot of bad in mods meaning. Why? because we will get tons of shrek, tom the train etc mods not rly "suiting" mods like immersive creatures and armors in skyrim.

So in long term it will be bad.

this game need more seriouse mods

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, MechanicalLens said:

Is it too late to report on the bug tracker? I found an issue where if you enter the interface of a shotgun turret, SMG turret, dart trap, electric timer relay, motion sensor, or spotlight, the ability to nerdpole or pick up frames is severely crippled. In other words, your camera has to be in a very specific position to pick up or place frames, and sometimes it won't let you do this at all. A simple relog fixes this.

You can always report a bug. Even after we release experimental, we will still be fixing all the bugs we can.

I added that to my todo list to check.

3 hours ago, Matt115 said:

well i think twitch integration will do a lot of bad in mods meaning. Why? because we will get tons of shrek, tom the train etc mods not rly "suiting" mods like immersive creatures and armors in skyrim.

That might be the dumbest thing I've read on here in a while.

59 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Honestly: most people on twitch using "for fun" mods. Most people using "lore friendly/realistic" types of mods play alone

The game event system might be able to do more then just arcade type events.  It is not limited to just the twitch integration as far as modding is concerned.

Just now, Laz Man said:

The game event system might be able to do more then just arcade type events.  It is not limited to just the twitch integration as far as modding is concerned.

I meand : twitch is bad. So make twitch integration is even worst. Well : most streamers using "funny" mods right? Big ass elves in skyrim, Big smoke as MR. X in RE2 etc. So less  popular on twitch = bigger change for 7dtd to became stalker or total war. what i mean by this? Most of "social media " member will get to play in another games  but most will focus on create " big" serious mods- like Darthmod ( almost every old total war game have this mod - this is not connected with star wars- this mod create more castles factions units more etc but keepin realistic setting), to total war, last alpha to stalker or battlefield 3 legancy , end of republic etc (  lore and setting suisable - as example skeleton zombie have explanation in stalker lost alpha and suits good, in BF mods in big mods are added "lore " units not "hahah for fun" units).  

Has there been any changes to critical hits/injuries in A20? Are vultures still absolute crit dealing machines?

And on a more general note, has there ever been consideration given to having different XP for kills with different weapons? Like more xp for melee vs ranged?

Edited by Doomofman
another question (see edit history)

14 hours ago, Gazz said:

So he's a trooper but the game was never made to be particularly child-friendly. The whole M rating and all, y'know?

See kids do play...so there SHOULD be child zombies ;) 

or like I have suggested in the past , just make them little people and not call the children and its a win win! Fast , low to the ground , hiding in bushes or trashcans...lol

11 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Install the ones you want or don't it's honestly as easy as that.   Be happy we've got a variety of mods and folks putting in the time.

10 hours ago, faatal said:

You can always report a bug. Even after we release experimental, we will still be fixing all the bugs we can.

I'm still upset about you guys fixing the ladder elevator. That one was a hidden feature with practical applications! I used to always live at bedrock, but haven't made a bedrock base since =(

30+ seconds  and your entire stamina bar to climb a ladder every single time is pain

Edited by Khalagar (see edit history)

13 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Well quick question: Will we get A21 roadmap and A20 in this same day?

The way they've done it in the past would be A20 experimental releases and then it's several weeks to a month of more bug fixing before stable releases.  Usually once stable is out, the next dev diary goes up about the same time.

EDIT: Actually just checked and A19 Stable was Aug 20 and the A20 dev diary didn't go up til Oct 28 (2020).  So there may be a few months of .x releases before the A21 goes up.

Edited by DanLW (see edit history)

• Roland unpinned this topic
  • Roland locked this topic