Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

8 hours ago, Aldranon said:

I predict that TFP will use their EXTRA Super Sain, Jedi powers of Epic'ness this coming week.  Streamers will showcase 26-28 Nov and I will be doing Chuck Norris impersonations starting Nov 29 in A20!

Not happening this week.

2 minutes ago, meilodasreh said:

I got all of them damn high MFs locked up in my cellar.

Pay me enough and I will kill them all,

so you can release the kraken tomorrow.

(only prime face palms accepted as currency)

10highMF.jpg

There is an eleventh MF's legs visible at the bottom left. Should we call him a rounding error?

4 minutes ago, meganoth said:

There is an eleventh MF's legs visible at the bottom left. Should we call him a rounding error?

sh... they're already breeding. What have I done? Of course I should have separated them by gender.

Sorry guys, any further delay of A20 can be blamed on me.

CU, gotta have to check the containment barriers in the basement.

3 hours ago, meilodasreh said:

I got all of them damn high MFs locked up in my cellar.

Pay me enough and I will kill them all, so you can release the kraken tomorrow.

Even if they were all fixed/done today, we have several days of testing planned afterwards. We are not just tossing it out the door when people say their stuff is ready. Proof is in the testing.

On 11/18/2021 at 3:44 PM, Star69 said:

Seriously? Good for you! I hope I’m still gaming at 78. I’m curious as to how many of us 60+ years folks that actually play this game. I’m considering retirement this year which will allow more time for this game….I only have 5000+ hours so far lol. Fabulous relaxing game with unlimited replayability and I haven’t even tried any mods except Compopack. Here’s to the old people🍺🍺🍺

Currently have 8905.6 hours of play via Steam; who knows how many on console back in the day. Pushing for the magic 10,000, since then I'll  supposedly be an expert. Right......  play a bunch solo and fair amount with son in Memphis area. I'm on I-5 corridor, half way between Seattle and Canadian border. Obviously retired (Navy).

5 hours ago, danielspoa said:

may this pleb ask two question, noble faatal:

1 - with the biome bonuses this means outside spawn now scales with our gamestage, correct?
2 - are there more gamestage levels for roaming hordes in a20? I remember someone asking it but no answer last I checked

thank you, 🙂

1 It should not, since biome spawns (outside) come from groups that are mostly specific for each biome with the biome entries indicating counts, rates, time of day and POI tags.

2 Don't recall any changes to that.

32 minutes ago, faatal said:

1 It should not, since biome spawns (outside) come from groups that are mostly specific for each biome with the biome entries indicating counts, rates, time of day and POI tags.

Do those biome spawn groups scale with gamestage ? I mean like horde nights , don't they select a random group asigned to a gamestage range that gets increasingly more difficult the more gamestage you have upon entering ?

22 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

Do those biome spawn groups scale with gamestage ? I mean like horde nights , don't they select a random group asigned to a gamestage range that gets increasingly more difficult the more gamestage you have upon entering ?

exactly what I asked him. If its like A19 you have groups with a few parameters in a xml, those groups define what can spawn. They don't scale. Would be cool to have a gamestage parameter thats optional

<biome name="pine_forest">
        <spawn maxcount="1" respawndelay="2.9" time="Day" entitygroup="ZombiesAll" mingamestage="0" maxgamestage="150"  />
        <spawn maxcount="1" respawndelay="2.9" time="Day" entitygroup="FeralExample" mingamestage="151"  />
        <spawn maxcount="1" respawndelay="3.3" time="Night" entitygroup="ZombiesNight" />
        <spawn maxcount="1" respawndelay="1" time="Any" entitygroup="WildGameForest" spawnDeadChance="0" />
        <spawn maxcount="1" respawndelay="1.1" time="Night" entitygroup="EnemyAnimalsForest" spawnDeadChance="0" />
    </biome>

54 minutes ago, faatal said:

thank you for the answers as always!
If someone ever touches this my suggestion is written above 😁

Edited by danielspoa (see edit history)

24 minutes ago, rigmormortis said:

i havent read that mutch in the thread. when are we getting a20? my back is broken and i have nothing to do so i wish they would realse it soon

Sometime in december. The earliest possible release is 6th december, but it could get delayed.

1 hour ago, rigmormortis said:

i havent read that mutch in the thread. when are we getting a20? my back is broken and i have nothing to do so i wish they would realse it soon

Last update from faatal was 10 must fix bugs remaining.  After they fix them, then it is up to the internal testers to see if there any new MF bugs prior to release.  That was as of yesterday.

I play too much 7 Days To Die for my own good. My life revolves around this game, I think about it all the time. It's even come to the point where sometimes I dream about it. That's an embarrassing fact I probably shouldn't have shared, but I chose to share it, so there you go. Once the Kraken awakens from its slumber, I can't wait to get sucked down this rabbit hole all over again, digging this pit even deeper around myself with no chance of escape.

God I love this game.

18 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

I play too much 7 Days To Die for my own good. My life revolves around this game, I think about it all the time. It's even come to the point where sometimes I dream about it. That's an embarrassing fact I probably shouldn't have shared, but I chose to share it, so there you go. Once the Kraken awakens from its slumber, I can't wait to get sucked down this rabbit hole all over again, digging this pit even deeper around myself with no chance of escape.

God I love this game.

I feel the pain, I started gathering things like cement mixers, generators, tools forges gravel ect.... just waiting for the zombie apocalypse to kick off. 

6 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

God I love this game.

I can put you in contact with this association where they do group therapy sessions: curiously enough, it's called "The 7D2D Survivors".

It works! I've already earned the "1 Month" badge! But I fear when A20 comes out, I'll have a relapse... :pout:

5 hours ago, nielm269 said:

I feel the pain, I started gathering things like cement mixers, generators, tools forges gravel ect.... just waiting for the zombie apocalypse to kick off. 

And... what skill tree are you specializing in? :suspicious:

@faatal @madmole I don't know who's the one in charge of the Steam installation of 7D2D, but I wanted to let you know that there was an interesting discussion on Steam where we found out that the first and foremost obstacle for "non-modders / newbies" to install mods for 7D2D, is that they don't know they have to create a \Mods subfolder in the game folder and that the mods should be put there.

Would you maybe add this folder to the installation of 7D2D so that it's already there for players to use?

It's a very simple thing to do (I guess) but will go a long way with most non-techie people who want to install mods.

37 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

@faatal @madmole I don't know who's the one in charge of the Steam installation of 7D2D, but I wanted to let you know that there was an interesting discussion on Steam where we found out that the first and foremost obstacle for "non-modders / newbies" to install mods for 7D2D, is that they don't know they have to create a \Mods subfolder in the game folder and that the mods should be put there.

Would you maybe add this folder to the installation of 7D2D so that it's already there for players to use?

It's a very simple thing to do (I guess) but will go a long way with most non-techie people who want to install mods.

You know there's no actual workshop support yet. We are getting more and more cool stuff on that front, but it's still kind of user-unfriendly in many aspects.

One of those aspects is that it would be crazy cool if the game had a MOD option next to the editor one that once selected can create a custom mod with folders and all,  that fits our specifications and allows us to directly manipulate some xml stuff without any directory digging also from inside the game, like click and edit and save and done. That's a crazy pimp dream, useless for pros, but it would make newbies feel at home.

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

a) Defently what he said. Also a way in the main menu to activate and deactivate the mods in the folder would be cool to. Unless that already exists and I'm not aware off.

A few more questions for the fun pimps if you dont mind :)

b) I also know that more cooking recipe's is rather low priority but I do hope a recipe with snowberrys and another more usefull with blueberrys is added. Or making the existing blueberry pie to need just 3 blueberrys could already do something to. or what about changing it to "berry pie" or something, 3 snow-3blue? OR a bush of berrys gives 2 in the basic setting and maby 3-4 with living off the land?

c) In my humble opinion the stealth system should get an overhaul. Ducking or standing while doing a sneak attack should always have the stealth bonus. I do however agree you have to duck to sneak around and make less noise like that. But shoudnt affect cutting down a tree or mining ore. In real life the falling tree always makes the same noise, wether it was cut down while crouching or not.

d) A classtree for axe / chainsaw (maby making it jam on blood easy to make it less op) would be cool. And how about a ninja who can throw star or knife objects?

e) A pipe bomb needs a pipe wich sounds fair, but a coocking pot bomb doesnt need a coocking pot to make? I'd like to see that changed :)

f) When looting a toilet you get a jar full of dirty water, where does that jar comes from? Maby upping the chance of finding an empty jar in the kitchen and you can fill it in the toilet yourself? Would defently make  you re-consider of throwing away all those empty jars. Maby this was already intended with the water overhaul in A21?

Last but not least, thank you for putting so much effort in this game and answering players questions. Not many game-devs take the time to see what people think. Often in mmorpgs this is why the game becomes empty,...   So keep up the good work and have a beer.  :)

2 hours ago, Blake_ said:

You know there's no actual workshop support yet. We are getting more and more cool stuff on that front, but it's still kind of user-unfriendly in many aspects.

One of those aspects is that it would be crazy cool if the game had a MOD option next to the editor one that once selected can create a custom mod with folders and all,  that fits our specifications and allows us to directly manipulate some xml stuff without any directory digging also from inside the game, like click and edit and save and done. That's a crazy pimp dream, useless for pros, but it would make newbies feel at home.

Directly manipulate? Entering xml xpath commands is surely not something a newbie will feel at home with.

And automatically creating xpath from changes in an editing session the user does on the original files would be a feature as big as steam workshop integration itself.

Or are you thinking about a list of possible changes the user can select from? Surprise, you just invented the config menue 😉

10 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

God I love this game.

MEEEEDIC, here is another one. Do we still have that pushcart from the Lecter incident ?

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

• Roland unpinned this topic
  • Roland locked this topic