Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

The environment assets were always top notch. Be it a weapon or a prop, I find them very well done by the art team. The downside is that there are never enough. I hope they make a ton of them to generate the needed variety for sub-POIs. There's a point were the brain (any brain) cannot predict the patterns of  a random subPOI (more than 100 small changes per room). 

Can we get football Zd and Cheerleader debris? Everybody knows that when a Zombie apocalypse breaks out, half of the world population dresses like the Dallas Cowboys and ,- after dying-, generate the rare fenomenon called "Footballer and Cheerleader debris".

7 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

The environment assets were always top notch. Be it a weapon or a prop, I find them very well done by the art team. The downside is that there are never enough. I hope they make a ton of them to generate the needed variety for sub-POIs. There's a point were the brain (any brain) cannot predict the patterns of  a random subPOI (more than 100 small changes per room). 

Can we get football Zd and Cheerleader debris? Everybody knows that when a Zombie apocalypse breaks out, half of the world population dresses like the Dallas Cowboys and ,- after dying-, generate the rare fenomenon called "Footballer and Cheerleader debris".

i wish it could be set on fire - and using this like fire trap.

well if you gone die and be zombie you would  die in style right ?  so i for example would wear my lovely gasmask , fedora and coat in ww1 style

10 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

New Wood rubble

Hope nothing gives you splinters, OR ZOMBING POPPING OUT

Foreshadowing on the details that will be in POIs....

...I wonder what will be the POI fan favorite for A20...😎

17 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

New Wood rubble

Hope nothing gives you splinters, OR ZOMBING POPPING OUT

Seeing as there is always the same planck draped at the same angle over the pallet I smell a setup. It seems zombies got intelligent and put up traps to catch us.  First structural engineers, now Spec Ops.

What next? Zombies get diplomas and steal us our jobs ?

A concerned citizen.

😁

One thing I love at the moment is modding my hat to a baseball cap XD

Will it be possible to do this with all armour?

So Like modding the miner trousers to look like shorts etc.

And or the ability to hide armour. Like gloves or coat ofr example. (Or all of it, naked run XD)

I'm currently taking over a Savage Country POI as a horde base and I've just come to realize that a good chunk of the blocks the make up the walls are a half-texture block, so one half may be a gray stone texture and the other half a brick texture , for example, and these blocks sadly cannot be upgraded to reinforced concrete. It's a pain in the rear end. Haha. So many have to be knocked out and replaced...

Anyway, with the upgrade path for blocks being shortened in A20, will these types of blocks have the ability to be upgraded to steel? (I presume they'll stay as concrete, in this case, as in the concrete blocks that player will be able to create, HP wise.)

I'd like to see a toggle option added for auto-standing from crouching when you start to sprint. Yes this will mean you can't sprint sneak if you turn this option on, but it'll mean you can run away and survive instead of dying because you're in a panic and accidently crouch while trying to run away. (the sprint and crouch keys are right next to each other after all)

On 10/28/2020 at 10:49 PM, madmole said:

Welcome to the Alpha 20 Dev Diary. Here we will discuss upcoming features for Alpha 20.

Alpha 20 Dev Stream Videos

1) Alpha 20 First Look with Prime and Madmole October 28th, 2020

2) Alpha 20 Developer Live Stream November 25th, 2020

3) Twitch Integration Demonstration (19.5 but also relevant to A20)

Alpha 20/21 Roadmap

1) Unity Update

• TFP will be working with Unity devs directly 

2) Random Generation Update

• New stamp tech that will allow artist created features such as mountains, hills, rivers, etc. to be placed in biomes. There will be a stable of different land features for the game to choose from.
  • Additional controls in the map generation interface to give players more options for terrain generation such sliders to determine mountainous vs flat (for example).
  • Biome selectors and city selectors to allow users to control the density of these map features.
  • 6k, 8k, and 10k map sizes planned

3) Vehicle Mods

• Tinting mask will allow vehicles to have color details added to differentiate vehicle owners better
  • Fuel Saver

• Off Road Headlights 
  • Super Charger
  • Expanded Seat
  • Reserve Fuel Tank

4) Shape Menu and Building Update

• Shapes are shown as shaded drawings of blocks
  • Blocks from the shape menu are placed as particle board blocks that function the same as frame blocks
  • Simplified upgrade path: Frame/Particle Board -> Wood -> Stone -> Concrete -> Steel
  • Blocks destroy to air. They do not downgrade.

5) Dynamic Imposters

• Changes to the world and player built forts are represented in distant terrain

6) Micro Splat Improvements

• Better terrain blending

7) Feral Sense Game Option

• Set zombies to different states of awareness from dumb to feral (seeing and hearing)

8.) Biome Difficulty

• Snow and Desert will have gamestage boost creating tougher enemies and better loot
  • Wasteland will have a greater gamestage boost creating even tougher enemies and even better loot

9) Pipe Weapons for Primitive Tier

• Pipe Rifle
  • Pipe Pistol
  • Pipe Baton
  • Pipe Shotgun
  • Pipe Machine Gun

10) Trader to Trader progression

• Details Coming

11) Loot Progression and Gamestaging Improvements

• Details Coming

12) New POI's and Environment Art

• New Gas Station (shown to reveal Restore Power Quest
  • Over 100 new POI's and many new props and environmental decorations

13) Dynamic Music and Ambient Audio Improvements

• Details Coming

14) Animation Improvements

• Details Coming

15) Digging Quest Improvements

• Implemented but not yet revealed

16) Restore Power Quest

• Lights go out when rally marker is activated
  • Find the generators and repair them

17) New Zombies/ Entities

• Nurse
  • Drone
  • Screamer
  • Fat Cop
  • Burnt Zombie
  • Hoodie Dude

18) AI and Sleeper Improvements - Pushed to A21

• Zombies can crawl through 1-meter holes
  • Wandering Sleepers

19) Character Overhaul - Pushed to A21

• Replace UMA system with in-house custom system
  • Thematic outfits will work like books. Wear the complete outfit and get a completion perk
  • Current 10 armor/clothing slots reduced to 4 slots for outfits that will merge both clothing and armor values. No more clipping issues of wearing clothing under armor. Better balance on number of mod slots available to use with outfits.
  • Outfits are another feature that will help build the foundation for the future implementation of bandits

20) Water Overhaul - Pushed to A21

• Details Coming

Hello, hoping yuo doing well, please, i got a question. You are erasing all clothing and armors as i know it today in order to add Outfits? So if i want to wear a Cowboy Hat, but no outfit have a Cowboy Hat... And i'm saying Cowboy Hat, but you know what i mean.

So, if i want to wear Just nerdy glasses  there is no other option but to wear all the elements for that upper part of the Nerdy Outfit?

Right now, i don't know what to think about that change. Lov the new outfits, but as an add-on to what we have right now.

I'm loving the game so far, btw.

Can't wait for the new Alphas to come out! 

Maybe it's too early to be thinking about it for A20, but if you guys are planning to use streamers to advertise  again for A20, you have a really good opportunity right  now  because the latest Hololive English member IRyS apparently plays 7 Days to Die and is going to stream it in the next day or two.  She debuted only 2 days ago and is already at 450 thousand subs , and especially since it's a game they could easily collab on and have multiple of the Hololive girls play, it could definitely be an insane advertising source if you guys reach out to them to get them to play A20 before it launches.

On 7/12/2021 at 9:58 AM, MechanicalLens said:

Are biome themed wandering hordes in the cards for the future? (Ex. In a burnt biome, such wandering hordes would consist primarily or exclusively of burning zombies.) Just a thought/suggestion. :)

It is not planned, but it could happen.

5 hours ago, Khalagar said:

Maybe it's too early to be thinking about it for A20, but if you guys are planning to use streamers to advertise  again for A20, you have a really good opportunity right  now  because the latest Hololive English member IRyS apparently plays 7 Days to Die and is going to stream it in the next day or two.  She debuted only 2 days ago and is already at 450 thousand subs , and especially since it's a game they could easily collab on and have multiple of the Hololive girls play, it could definitely be an insane advertising source if you guys reach out to them to get them to play A20 before it launches.

We will be using streamers as we have in the past but it is indeed too early. A20 is not ready to be showcased. The developers aren't even showing it yet and they would be able to control exactly what good parts were seen and what buggy parts were not. We would love for Hololive to be a part of the streamer weekend whenever it does happen and hopefully they will hear about it and apply. We might even reach out to them when the time comes based on your information. 

But we haven't begun the ball rolling yet even with existing streamers who are already on our list. A few have reached out and asked for ballpark timing and I've not been able to give them anything definitive.

1 hour ago, KindaCringe said:

why are there still going to be Alpha 19 updates (19.6 or 19.7)? I think 99% of the playerbase just wants a new Alpha after almost 13 months since the last one. 

The changes in 19.x are all small bug fixes that were done for A20! They often can be copied over in a few minutes, the only real work is judging if that fix does not depend on other fixes or changes in A20. (The first sentence is actual dev info, the second sentence is an educated guess)

In short, backporting fixes is a low-hanging-fruit task, only helps a little but can be done between coffee and sandwitch 😉

Hi all. Long time lurker here, i have two things to ask, even if its just optional. Since i always tend to watch Lets plays and such. I want to ask two things. Will the Physics engine ever get a upgrade? Mostly to make it slightly more real with some objects falling down without being tied to a nearby one. Which ties into the second one, lets say hypotetically. The engine gets a upgrade, would it allow for zombies to have fall damage that damages their joints or even destroys them. Would that be a thing. Eventually, like in the next few years.

4 hours ago, KindaCringe said:

why are there still going to be Alpha 19 updates (19.6 or 19.7)? I think 99% of the playerbase just wants a new Alpha after almost 13 months since the last one. 

You may be right. However, TFP doesn’t decide what to do next by polling the community. They decide what to do based on what they think is best for development and testing. 

are the tfp prefabbers gonna go back and update the older content? I ask this as I am going through and looting the ostrich hotel. kinda swanky place, but no tubs or showers in the bathrooms, no shelves, no medicine cabinets, no dressers for guests to put clothes in. just large emptish rooms with a bed and 2 lamps. for such apt. style suites, it is lacking.

not sure about the other older prefabs, just noticed as I am going through this one.

3 hours ago, Zeal said:

the second one, lets say hypotetically. The engine gets a upgrade, would it allow for zombies to have fall damage that damages their joints or even destroys them. Would that be a thing.

Hi Zeal,

I'm thinking that one's unlikely since deadly falling damage (to enemies) was in the game at one time. It was changed, and eventually scaled back to what it is now to prevent defenses from being too effective. It would be nice if a really long fall would cripple, but I don't think they'll move in that direction. 

-Arch Necromancer Morloc

1 hour ago, wolfbain5 said:

are the tfp prefabbers gonna go back and update the older content? I ask this as I am going through and looting the ostrich hotel. kinda swanky place, but no tubs or showers in the bathrooms, no shelves, no medicine cabinets, no dressers for guests to put clothes in. just large emptish rooms with a bed and 2 lamps. for such apt. style suites, it is lacking.

not sure about the other older prefabs, just noticed as I am going through this one.

It's a crappy joint.

Archived