Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

7 hours ago, faatal said:

There is a global jiggling function that the speedtree shaders use. Grass used a constant jiggling value, but now it uses a global jiggling variable. Weather will be changing the jiggling frequency now, once I get to it.

Fixed that for you .

It's nice to see a step away from the constant looped animations for vegetation , not many studios take the time to polish this aspect, let alone tie them to weather. I like it.

Do you intend to make vegetation movement fully flexible (kind of like "ragdoll" grass or a value-directional animation) to account for wind direction or just change animation speed (always the same animation and direction)  based on that variable ?

It would be cool to see grass and trees responding to wind by moving in a different general direction over the course of the day, not just the one looped one. It seems like a small-impact change, but it is actually very immersive.

Flags and other animated assets could potentially benefit from this kind of stuff too I guess.

I know we aren't supposed to talk about the "m" word on here but I gotta say I've been experimenting with them, war of the walkers, gna, etc...and I gotta say, I much prefer vanilla. 

It is cool the creativity put in them and the different ideas people have so respect there. But Fun Pimps, you guys & gals are the sh*t!!!

Keep up the great work. Looking forward to A20!

15 hours ago, Blake_ said:

Fixed that for you .

It's nice to see a step away from the constant looped animations for vegetation , not many studios take the time to polish this aspect, let alone tie them to weather. I like it.

Do you intend to make vegetation movement fully flexible (kind of like "ragdoll" grass or a value-directional animation) to account for wind direction or just change animation speed (always the same animation and direction)  based on that variable ?

It would be cool to see grass and trees responding to wind by moving in a different general direction over the course of the day, not just the one looped one. It seems like a small-impact change, but it is actually very immersive.

Flags and other animated assets could potentially benefit from this kind of stuff too I guess.

Yesterday I got it mostly working. Still tweaking. The direction will be the same, it just varies in frequency and intensity.

The flag anim is just math in a shader and does not change. (someday?)

5 hours ago, Reset said:

Dev stream? 🙏

Maybe in a month or two?

I don't know if this question has already been asked, but will A20 have any optimizations on zombie hordes? I've found that having large amounts of zombies causes them to stutter and stand afk while others are recalculating their paths which leads to some clunky horde nights. Me and my friends would really like to up the difficulty by having zombies everywhere but we are struggling.

5 hours ago, faatal said:

Yesterday I got it mostly working. Still tweaking. The direction will be the same, it just varies in frequency and intensity.

The flag anim is just math in a shader and does not change. (someday?)

Maybe in a month or two?

@faatal I like what you said and seem to be doing about weather & grass. Sounds like it will be a nice touch.

Will it impact performance of the game doing weather & wind simulations or can unity handle it without much effort or is my amateur understanding of this sound dumb?

Hello, @madmole . What can you tell us about RWG in regards of rivers, waterfalls, "random landscape loot locations/ secret places" (I think those were said to be a thing?) and other stuff, like the general "feeling" of the generation as compared to A19? Gameplay tales also welcomed :P

On 7/3/2021 at 7:21 PM, bdwarri0r3 said:

I don't know if this question has already been asked, but will A20 have any optimizations on zombie hordes? I've found that having large amounts of zombies causes them to stutter and stand afk while others are recalculating their paths which leads to some clunky horde nights. Me and my friends would really like to up the difficulty by having zombies everywhere but we are struggling.

Probably not much different.

On 7/3/2021 at 8:13 PM, Fanatical_Meat said:

@faatal I like what you said and seem to be doing about weather & grass. Sounds like it will be a nice touch.

Will it impact performance of the game doing weather & wind simulations or can unity handle it without much effort or is my amateur understanding of this sound dumb?

Performance should be the same. The shaders are doing the same amount of work and the c# code changes were trivial.

Just committed it:

Added wind simulation speed changes grass and tree movement (improved wind handling, added grass shader wind time and use constant sin offset so we can interpolate wind values without ugly shifting).
Added grass and tree wind gusts (visual. adds to wind simulation).
Improved biome wind values.

On 7/4/2021 at 8:09 AM, playlessNamer said:

How are the bandits and NPCs going?

The art is coming along. There will be no code work done on it until after A20.

1 hour ago, faatal said:

Probably not much different.

Performance should be the same. The shaders are doing the same amount of work and the c# code changes were trivial.

Just committed it:

Added wind simulation speed changes grass and tree movement (improved wind handling, added grass shader wind time and use constant sin offset so we can interpolate wind values without ugly shifting).
Added grass and tree wind gusts (visual. adds to wind simulation).
Improved biome wind values.

The art is coming along. There will be no code work done on it until after A20.

art in meaning - we will get concept art  or screens of models soon or this stuff is creating still?

Good (afternoon?) @faatal .

1- Do you know what 19.7 is all about? 

2- If yes, does it contain twitch integration stuff only or does it have other important tweaks/fixes? 

3-Will we as players get that version or was 19.5 the last one?

4- About Zds. I see weird Zds lately, and I have to ask: Are you guys doing special infected (behaviours like the gasser, the mentioned necroZd that revives Zds, etc) AI for a20 or will that come at a later date ?

I was kind of hoping that the spider was made into a wall-sticking fast-jumping nightmare, but it might just be me.

5- What's the 3rd letter of the abecedary?

A)C

B)A

C)B

D)C and C are correct.

Faatal, do you know if voip will ever be looked at? I have said before I know it isn't like a big deal and would probably be on the low end of stuff to look at because most use discord and such. Reason I'm asking and in hope to get looked at one day is we like to RP when playing like ark RP, gta rp and such. So discord can't have the same outcome when you RP.  

2 hours ago, Blake_ said:

Good (afternoon?) @faatal .

1- Do you know what 19.7 is all about? 

2- If yes, does it contain twitch integration stuff only or does it have other important tweaks/fixes? 

3-Will we as players get that version or was 19.5 the last one?

4- About Zds. I see weird Zds lately, and I have to ask: Are you guys doing special infected (behaviours like the gasser, the mentioned necroZd that revives Zds, etc) AI for a20 or will that come at a later date ?

I was kind of hoping that the spider was made into a wall-sticking fast-jumping nightmare, but it might just be me.

5- What's the 3rd letter of the abecedary?

A)C

B)A

C)B

D)C and C are correct.

1 That would be 19.6

2 Twitch and localization changes

3 Should be a normal release

4 No AI behavior changes in A20

2 hours ago, crazywildfire said:

Faatal, do you know if voip will ever be looked at? I have said before I know it isn't like a big deal and would probably be on the low end of stuff to look at because most use discord and such. Reason I'm asking and in hope to get looked at one day is we like to RP when playing like ark RP, gta rp and such. So discord can't have the same outcome when you RP.  

I don't know of anyone using it and I could see it going away at some point.

Is the bone work of the first person hands/arms really hard to change. I would think it would have been changed already in this late in development if it didn't have some sort of trouble fitting it in. Animation of sprinting and recoil seems to be missing and we just get that generic movement bob with  arms that seem hovery with jello like movement.

2 hours ago, faatal said:

I don't know of anyone using it and I could see it going away at some point.

If it worked right lots would use it. We still try to use it as much as possible.  I can only for certain say 100+ people. I know that isn't a big number but that is just what I can count for and I'm sure the number would be higher then that. So it would suck if that happens. 

Edited by crazywildfire (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Blake_ said:

The question was not a typo. I mean 19.7 b1 which Fubar Prime (Lathan) is testing lately.

Thanks for the other answers!

I don't know what Lathan is testing, but the next version will be 19.6.

• Roland unpinned this topic
  • Roland locked this topic