Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

2 hours ago, madmole said:

Football player and cheerleader are gone for good, they don't fit in average scenarios since one out of 100,000 people have those outfits on.

Gee Wally, I dunno...

In 2016 there were 4 million cheerleaders in the U.S. There were also 1.1 million HS/college football players....so that'd be as many as one in 60 people presuming they wore their uniforms all the time. Let's be generous and say between playing and practice they wore them for an average of 6 hours per week (over the year)....so roughly 3.5 % of each week, or in general, 3.5% of the time....so at any given moment, 178,500 people would be prepped to make a football player/cheerleader zombie....that's better than 1 in 1250 people. I'm not even counting people who dress as cheerleaders for reasons other than cheerleading too. 🤪:cheer2:

Save the cheerleader dammit! Use the overlap between "Cheerleader" and "Schoolgirl in skirt/uniform" to further swell her ranks!

-Morloc

1 hour ago, Games'n'Grumble said:

Could you see your buildings from afar? Does this feature already work in A20 ? 

Yes, it is really cool, I'm looking forward to building a big castle so I can revel in it's majestic glory from afar :)

1 hour ago, Junuxx said:

There sure are a surprising amount of newspapers on the ground, and retro cars and appliances around in 2034.

They ran out of toilet paper so people were buying old magazines and newspapers on ebay to wipe with.

1 hour ago, beerfly said:

Wait, more new skyscrapers ?

Thanks for the info, man. 

No but semi destroyed taller buildings that are tall enough to block views and segue into Skyscrapers rather than a lone skyscraper next to 1 story buildings.

1 hour ago, Junuxx said:

Nothing against retrofuturism per se, but the Fallout universe presumes an alternate timeline with a point of deviation many decades in the past. Madmole's comment implies 7dtd is situated in our present timeline's direct future.

Newspaper changed to hurry harry's burger sack, problem solved. I was trying to tell a narrative when I made the newspapers in 2013 on the streets and newspapers weren't 1000% dead back then like now.

1 hour ago, madmole said:

Which one, there are 3 other games in various stages of development :D

No. We already see that schools close in a pandemic so nobody would be suited up in foot ball gear, nor cheering in the weeks of rioting and pandemic  shut down of 2034 before total apocalypse happen.

I saw some promising city tiles where the player couldn't see anything but buildings, it had vibes of the first walking dead downtown Atlanta feel, but it was a prototype. I can't promise it will be done but the intent is to put some skyscrapers in it.

@madmolethe unannounced game that you are most excited about or the one most likely to be announced.

1,000 foot overview what type of game or game setting.

Off topic I like the football player. They are funny and the source of the best game quote from my friend.

we had a horde of football players (forgot which alpha) he shouted “Put me in Coach!”

Much laughing followed.

56 minutes ago, ErikH5027 said:

@ anydev Are we any closer to a new stream to get a taste of what we are all waiting for? Something that will showcase some of the new additions, such as POI's and what not. 

We will probably start streaming after we hit content lock and are getting closer to launch. It's going to be a minute yet. Imagine taking random gen out of programming (mostly) and doing art driven content rather than everything code, we need to fill a world with the new content so it's taking some time, but the results are fantastic. Plus we nuked 1000's of blocks and replaced them with the new shape menu. A ton of work though.

12 minutes ago, Morloc said:

Gee Wally, I dunno...

In 2016 there were 4 million cheerleaders in the U.S. There were also 1.1 million HS/college football players....so that'd be as many as one in 60 people presuming they wore their uniforms all the time. Let's be generous and say between playing and practice they wore them for an average of 6 hours per week (over the year)....so roughly 3.5 % of each week, or in general, 3.5% of the time....so at any given moment, 178,500 people would be prepped to make a football player/cheerleader zombie....that's better than 1 in 1250 people. I'm not even counting people who dress as cheerleaders for reasons other than cheerleading too. 🤪:cheer2:

Save the cheerleader dammit! Use the overlap between "Cheerleader" and "Schoolgirl in skirt/uniform" to further swell her ranks!

-Morloc

You summed up the reason we aren't doing any weird zombies that don't make a lot of sense. Less than .01% chance to see someone in a football uniform or cheerleading outfit seems like a pretty shallow argument. Now that the story board trailer is in the works I can say there were many weeks of pandemic lockdown and rioting, no sporting events or schools would be open so nobody would be wearing those outfits when things got out of control.

9 minutes ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

@madmolethe unannounced game that you are most excited about or the one most likely to be announced.

1,000 foot overview what type of game or game setting.

Off topic I like the football player. They are funny and the source of the best game quote from my friend.

we had a horde of football players (forgot which alpha) he shouted “Put me in Coach!”

Much laughing followed.

Yeah I myself had many fond memories. It was my idea and I hacked the first prototype together with UMA and making them always run was a great oh @%$# moment for us and lots of players at the stadium POI. But given the budget and time it takes to make something that appears once in the game and with a strong desire to actually go gold we have to make some cuts and costume zombies were high on the chopping block list. Sorry but bandits need to get done :)

9 minutes ago, madmole said:

We will probably start streaming after we hit content lock and are getting closer to launch. It's going to be a minute yet. Imagine taking random gen out of programming (mostly) and doing art driven content rather than everything code, we need to fill a world with the new content so it's taking some time, but the results are fantastic. Plus we nuked 1000's of blocks and replaced them with the new shape menu. A ton of work though.

You summed up the reason we aren't doing any weird zombies that don't make a lot of sense. Less than .01% chance to see someone in a football uniform or cheerleading outfit seems like a pretty shallow argument. Now that the story board trailer is in the works I can say there were many weeks of pandemic lockdown and rioting, no sporting events or schools would be open so nobody would be wearing those outfits when things got out of control.

Thank you for the response. I know nothing about computers or programming, so I couldn't even begin to understand or imagine what it takes to make anything happen. 

3 hours ago, madmole said:

I played a game a while back and really enjoyed it. Loot isn't done yet, but the full line up of primitive weapons was implemented so I got to start off with a pipe shotgun and proceed to double barrel and then a pump before I quit playing and it was great being able to specialize right away. I focused mainly on PVE and turned off hordes for the first time ever in a game, mainly because I wanted to try out the new build menu. The new build menu features every block shape in the game, so I was able to go crazy with creation and I had a lot of fun even though hordes were turned off. I did quests for money and the economy is harder than before so I was walking until day 21 or 28, I can't remember when I could finally spring for a motorcycle. Even though it was an early build I had a great time with it. RWG is amazing now, especially cities they are well put together with stop signs, cross walks, sewers, and a lot more.

Nobody cares about that except people who have 5000 hours. Football player and cheerleader are gone for good, they don't fit in average scenarios since one out of 100,000 people have those outfits on. This helps make room for bandits (18 of them planned).

Yes.

You are the boss, i  don'think about that them as " types" more as a variants - dunno if not footplayer  so it can be added zombie in white shirt and tie . i know whatevere i say i can't convice you. But damn i will try XD maybe i will say something usefull

2 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

No.  Losing 2 zombie models will not hurt the game.   I would rather have the 18 planned bandits than 13 more zombies.

I must be weird, but I never had an issue seeing the same zombies over and over again.  It never crossed my mind - Oh hey there is Arlene, again...I wish they would add more or change her out.  It has always been oh threat, low level, take her out unless there is a higher level threat closer.

Then again, my odometer is just 112 hours shy of turning over 3,000 hours for 7D2D so I might not be in MM's category of 5k players  😉

Ok - seriouse sam - this same zombie alien etc - cool because they are clones (  like harpy) or skeletons . In l4d2  i have strange feeling when i kill this same looking zombie in this same room. rly some pack even give 5 diffrent looks for dunno witch. Yeah TFP is smaller studio but guy who make models to it was alone so xd . 

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Do it. I need more material to move over to the other thread. ;)

Madmole's overall play style on the new game is to wake up his neighbors clacking away on his mechanical keyboard....

Okay. So - do you play in stalker?  almost everyone there have something on face - gasmask  balaclava etc. So  they looks almost this same but have diffrent armors - less faces right?  in cod we have ultranaciolst right? they have gasmask balaclava.  Bandits in 7dtd sounds like duke's boys so they can looks this same because they are not random guys but "organisated" bandit group maybe they were motorcyclist before outbrake or criminals -  steel armor ( no visible face) , black military armor with  gasmask,  scraparmor with balaclava and one with visible face in leather jacket as their boss. ok 4 variants ? okay diffrent guns but for example in cod and stalker have diffrents guns but this same model. Thats give 4 models. so we can get 14  more zombies right - unfortunatly most zombie faces are visible 

1. zombie bandit - just black armor but withouts gasmask. logical - some bandits gets infected so they can be everywhere. 

2. decaying zombie - more connected with grayard but it can be everywhere - just  it looks like weak decaying zombie from latest seasions of  walking dead or clawer but diffrent model. Guy ( or woman) who was one of the first zombies - logical. 

3. fallen survivor - guy in shirt with bandolier , jeans pants and hiking shoes - well normal guy who became zombie unlucky one xd.

4. wild kid - ( well she is NOT kid this like another name of hippie) - girl in plant shirt , animal leather pants and barefoot- she have this sitatuation as we but she was less lucky.

5. zombie riot cop - he was a cop sended to fight with rioters but rioters start bitting. so he is with them too. well he have policy armor so he is harder that most zombie and can be find everywhere because well police where sended everywhere ( like in l4d)

6. zombie hobo - guy in skull cap, beard  leather duster. well there is a lot of homless so i think few of theme became zombies

7.  drowned zombie - okay there is everywhere rivers , lakes etc so some zombie are drowned and looks rly faat and they do boom when killed.

8.  fit girl - she was cheerleader but after came home and changing clothes she gets attacked by zombies - now she is going i her favourive tshirt with eiffel tower black leggins and dirty feets to her death/ 

9. Office guy. he had bad day first he pour out with cafe , get fired and at least he get bitten by zombie . well maybe it is better? 

10.  librarian- well she actually wasn't librarian but she is wearing vintige clothes and is old so ? 

11.  body-builder - he was in his favourite gym when zombie attack. now he is tought zombie guy but less nice and smell even worst.

12 .  vampire - well she is not a real vampire she just have blood on her mounth wear long dirty hood and shorts. 

13.  rude guy - do remember this guy from spiderman cartoon who wanted photos? yep he is his cousine from diffrent dimenshion.

14. zombie cop thin - well he was partner of fat coop. well he is still his partner.

Okay so 18 variants - zombies and bandits . Well honestly this game even in background have zombies so zombies should have more variants. okay footplayer and cheerleader are gone? okay fine i understand that. but more of them can more often - maybe drowned one will be rarer  but there is water everywhere so it have sense. most of them are typical civilian zombie or surviors so can be easy put everywhere. even easier that lumberjack . Roland it was way i think i can work  have sense in my opinion. And @madmole i don't say you and your team are doing stupid things or just  complaing . 7dtd is yours game and you can do whatevere you want - zombie unicorn?  big flying bat? your choice ofc.  I just want to give advice - in my opinion in zombie game ( i don't say about survivor games at all ) 3 things are the most importants : when you are fighting - l4d2 have soo good maps, this same waw or resident evil 2 . in cod cold war you have typical zombie maps and they are working but outbreake maps just not suits to zombie. Pois in 7dtd looks good rly good and this is big + for me so good job guys.  2 weapons- wonder guns in cod or melee in dying light are soo good. in 7dtd guns works good melee too but new models looks so..  something from rage 2 or fallout not from zombie game- in cod in staligrand you have futuritic weapons and they not suits . ofc it don't be realistic but in can suit sumiliar to wolfenstein. and 3 and most important thing - zombies . In cod waw they looks so good, this same in bo . Panzer zombie , manglers or hellhound looks soo good, but i hate monkeys because it suit like clown on funeral xd.  cod waw have a lot of normal zombie variants ( okay this is game from 2008/2009 so be gentle ) . But cod cold war have a big problem -  in die maschina you have so much zombie variants only germans but so much diffrents unifroms hats etc . firebase z? two locations - in on of them you have vietcong zombies and on second soviet soldiers scientists. so good. But then came outbrake and you find with 3 this same zombie omega officer ( rly there is only zombie officer and balaclava) , 2 this same looking zombie woman and 2 this same burned corpes... in soviet base. i know making models is a lot of work and idk if bandits are created or just in plans . If first option okay i understand making model is cash but in second option please consider to add more zombie variants instead bandits xd i wish i could make concept arts  but i can't at least can i describe detailed looks and how they can work if it can help. I know there is limited spaces for models so this is my propopsiton - it will have enough soldiers and zombies variants. @Roland sorry for gramma mistakes i  have some "distubance" so rly sorry for this

7 hours ago, sillls said:
  • Zombies can crawl through 1-meter holes?  Will players also be able to go through one meter openings like they used to?

Players will probably never be able to do that.

As of last week, zombies can crouch down and crawl based on head clearance. Pathing still works on 2m heights, so we are not fully 1m yet, but crawling fixes bugs with zombies getting stuck in tight places.

3 minutes ago, faatal said:

As of last week, zombies can crouch down and crawl based on head clearance. Pathing still works on 2m heights, so we are not fully 1m yet, but crawling fixes bugs with zombies getting stuck in tight places.

that's cool. well this mean dogs will  "focus" on making hole under wall?

1 hour ago, faatal said:

Shaking that base design up! Zombies just crouch walking through your intended kill boxes will catch a lot of people off guard for sure.

One zombie issue I've been struggling with is the vulture change to make them move 900 mph towards vehicles. It makes it basically pointless to even go near a wasteland biome because your gyrocopter will get taken out by a flock and you can barely land in time to kill them before they shred you. Hopefully one of the new vehicle mods is some kind of shock defense for the bird spam! There could be a work around for horde nights so it doesn't let you do the old "drive all night" tactic, but currently . . . screw the Wasteland biome

11 hours ago, bloodmoth13 said:

I like the cowboy but damn does he look out of place in most areas.

I think they should replace him with a fur trapper/frontiersman, a guy in a racoon hat with a bear trap stuck on his leg and a busted up rifle on his back. Would work great for any place where animals live out in the wilderness, hunting shops or even shanty town.

Although would look interesting. Sounds too niche (e.g. like the football player) and maybe moreso then the current cowboy.  There are alot of people in the U.S. who actually wear the cowboy look so he fits the general population bucket imo.

13 minutes ago, faatal said:

Zombies crouching and dogs digging holes have NOTHING to do with each other.

Okay that's good :)

4 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Although would look interesting. Sounds too niche (e.g. like the football player) and maybe moreso then the current cowboy.  There are alot of people in the U.S. who actually wear the cowboy look so he fits the general population bucket imo.

Well or are goth . well goth zombie sound good

Fatal, my diamond viper video card is having trouble playing the game.  Will your optimizations help?

While your at it, my sound blaster doesn't play the sounds, I'm thinking of upgrading to a gravis ultrasound, what are your thoughts?

And when can we expect space orb support? 

1 hour ago, Guppycur said:

Fatal, my diamond viper video card is having trouble playing the game.  Will your optimizations help?

While your at it, my sound blaster doesn't play the sounds, I'm thinking of upgrading to a gravis ultrasound, what are your thoughts?

And when can we expect space orb support? 

1 No

2 Sorry

3 The end of time

15 hours ago, faatal said:

May I ask why players won't be able to do this?  We used to have it and it makes sense since the player is either breaking in or trying to get away from zombie's. 

18 hours ago, madmole said:

Less than .01% chance to see someone in a football uniform or cheerleading outfit seems like a pretty shallow argument.

Well, it'd only be "less than .01% chance to see someone in a football uniform or cheerleading outfit" if you literally only saw one person.

We know from past discussions that the math is a bit more complicated if we look at multiple instances of some percentage chance, but here we're drawing from a finite pool (your chances of rolling a cheerleader increase a bit each time you fail to roll one).

To the point of my argument though...it's more shallow than that since I'm mostly only having fun with the math and the surprising revelation that there are a lot of friggan cheerleaders in the US!

Having "weird" zombies is a tradition in zombie films as it drives home the horror of say...juxtaposing a woman in a wedding dress with her new zombie-status or the clergy zombie (cheerleaders outnumber them by 8:1, though they'd be much more likely to be seen wearing their work-clothing). There are way fewer MC-style bikers out there than cheerleaders too. Should we be worried? ;)

Surely having a Nurse, Cheerleader, Cowboy, Stripper and Biker, Construction Worker was too much specialization, but consider keeping one or two such odd zombie of the basic types. This suggestion is mostly for fun rather than hardcore immersion or maximizing the mileage from texture use.

In the most general sense I like almost everything you're doing with the game (except for that reduction of slots thing, my only real "concern").

-Morloc (endorsed by 4 million cheerleaders)

QUESTION: can we expect that in 20 Alpha the transport will not slow down so quickly after the gas button is not pressed?

I'm currently playing Days Gone and the transport feels much more logical there. After gaining a decent speed and letting go of the gas, you can travel quite a long distance, and even more on an incline.

So the management of transport would become much more interesting, since the player would be able to control fuel consumption, and not drive with the gas button constantly pressed.

I tried to do this in xml by increasing the torque, but in this case the sound of the wheels scrolling appears when driving.
Now you can drive a little more distance with the SHIFT button held down after releasing the throttle button, but it still looks not so good.

• Roland unpinned this topic
  • Roland locked this topic