Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

10 hours ago, faatal said:

Damage or now also falling in A20 causes them to wake.

Wait... falling doesn't happen without previous damage or a player proximity trigger for current sleepers. Ever. Does that mean that there are wandering sleepers already in the game?

4 hours ago, Blake_ said:

Wait... falling doesn't happen without previous damage or a player proximity trigger for current sleepers. Ever. Does that mean that there are wandering sleepers already in the game?

In A20, surprise, there are some switches that open doors where they drop and were then staying asleep.

You could also remove a block they were standing on.

Edited by faatal (see edit history)
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, faatal said:

In A20, surprise, there are some switches that open doors where they drop and were then staying asleep.

Thank goodness that new feature was tweaked then. Imagine a Night lady dropping asleep on top of you without waking up. Bad memories... bad memories I tell you.

6 hours ago, wolfbain5 said:

i always thought the speaker alarm should attract zombies. I mean they are supposedly alerted to a thrown rock. so why does the speaker not affect them?

I always wished you could select different alarms on the speaker. Please, let the sound designer add half a dozen options you can select from for each speaker!

5 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

yes and the thrown rock or snowball mechanics should be dumped. Haven’t done it to distract a zombie ever.

i have thrown stuff at players and that doesn’t work plus feels unsatisfying.

I have done it a lot. It's useful when walking around at night before you have armor/guns/vehicle, and it is very useful at higher difficulties. Now, some people just stay cooped up inside their bases at night, or a POI early game, whereas other people think that's a waste of time. To each its own, but beware of how your own style affects what resources and tactics you use or not.

4 hours ago, Morloc said:

There was a time when the night was a lot more terrifying. Lots of zombies, if you did anything, you'd lose cover and likely get killed, or have to run which was tricky to do if you wanted to hide again. Rocks were a thing then. In recent alphas, the only time I can recall REALLY wanting to be able to distract was with a mountain lion which had be trapped up on a mountain with a super-narrow road leading up. There were more critters everywhere, and they were impossible to fight for me at that point in the game. Stupid critters are immune to distraction though.

-Arch Necromancer Morloc

Maybe that feral sense can do something about making nights dangerous again. 

3 hours ago, faatal said:

Wait, what??? Nevermind the sleepers, tell me more about these door-opening switches on POIs!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dcsobral said:

Wait, what??? Nevermind the sleepers, tell me more about these door-opening switches on POIs!

A few weeks ago, Lathan added a block trigger system which will be used for the restore power quest. Multiple triggers, like switches, can be on a layer and blocks, like doors, can respond to them by doing something such as opening or closing.

• Like 7
  • Have a Cookie 1

A few weeks ago, Lathan added a block trigger system which will be used for the restore power quest. Multiple triggers, like switches, can be on a layer and blocks, like doors, can respond to them by doing something such as opening or closing.

Does that mean that electrical traps can also be activated inside of a POI by, say, opening the final loot room? Have you heard or seen something like that from the level design team?

That feature can give a lot of gameplay to POI exploration.

And one last question:

Has that "trigger code" the ability to transform one block/asset into another ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does this item be "invisible" for zombie? because it could be quiet annoying if  random zombie destroy quest  block ( like generator bank) when he will destroy everywhing on his patch

19 hours ago, Blake_ said:

Does that mean that electrical traps can also be activated inside of a POI by, say, opening the final loot room? Have you heard or seen something like that from the level design team?

Has that "trigger code" the ability to transform one block/asset into another ? 

Don't know. I'm sure it could if we wanted to.

19 hours ago, Matt115 said:

Does this item be "invisible" for zombie? because it could be quiet annoying if  random zombie destroy quest  block ( like generator bank) when he will destroy everywhing on his patch

Probably no, but if it is an issue, we will deal with it.

16 hours ago, samljer said:

Steam patch:  ... "Stay tuned alpha 20 is coming!"

Does this mean we can expect it in the next month?

No, but probably a few.

5 hours ago, Adam the Waster said:

OH i like it ALOT i didn't see that on 7DTD discord

Here is a Demo for the 7DTD city. REALLY COOL but... holy hell i can kiss my PC goodbye!

this is how my PC will end up :(605888255_bybypc.gif.fe8569fa1d7ec8fdd336b4553204037b.gif

Your gonna need a bigger PC.

Loving the new city RWG. Looks like it should make them look much more believable.

Any work being done for other POI placements? Thinking like the fishery type POIs Nav has. Would be nice for better POI placement around water as well. Docks, piers, boats, stuff like that.

HI I don't post often on this forum but I had a question: 7DTD can be a very atmospheric game, are there any plans to specifically enhance the game's horror atmosphere using tricks such as scripted ambient sounds or scripted jump scares? Water dripping, the sound of scratching in the walls, distant sounds of twisting warping metal, stuff like that? I always thought the cartoon punch sound when zombies hit walls should be replaced by scratching. There are a lot of relatively small changes like that, which could make the game a lot scarier.

One of my most memorable moments of this game was a few alphas ago, me and a friend were stranded at night, in the dark, in the rain. We had to dig a hole in the side of a hill and hide in it while zombies walked around outside. We could see glimpses of their silhouettes moving around, and the sound of the rain made it incredibly creepy and ominous as we crouched together in the soaking mud waiting for daylight. It was one of the creepiest eeriest moments of any game I've ever played.

Are there any plans to enhance the atmosphere of the game to create more "accidental" creepy scenarios like that?

Edited by geengaween
added specificity (see edit history)