Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

1 minute ago, MechanicalLens said:

The trader balance will come in due time, Vintorez, and that won't be in A19. Until then, we wait.

Unless you're okay with receiving overpowered rewards and the traders having unbalanced stock, I recommend seldom visiting them, if at all. All I've purchased from them so far are cobblestone, glue/duct tape, casings/tips/buckshot/gunpowder, concrete mix, cement, and the odd blade trap.

I know the balance isn't going to be in A19, but just not visiting the trader doesn't help on PvP servers. I like the new loot balance but in terms of getting T3 gear it's sort of locking the door and then leaving the window open. Was just wondering if there was a plan already in mind.

15 hours ago, faatal said:

I'm just talking about melee combat reach. Watch a player hit stuff. They can hit while visually not touching. Now some of that extra reach might stay, because we may decide it makes for better feeling combat. Just my opinion.

Yeah, it just got to where I can kinda use melee in multiplayer now. 

If the range gets much shorter, and if the zombies range is not decreased a lot, I would have to go back to only using ranged in multiplayer. 

A while back there was just no way to melee without getting hit a lot in my multiplayer games, which is why I started liking the blunderbuss. 

1 minute ago, Vintorez said:

I know the balance isn't going to be in A19, but just not visiting the trader doesn't help on PvP servers. I like the new loot balance but in terms of getting T3 gear it's sort of locking the door and then leaving the window open. Was just wondering if there was a plan already in mind.

I'm pretty sure TFP stated that their supposed plan is to have the traders align roughly where loot progression is, either slightly more or less, or right on point.

Still, an interesting philosophical question arises. Is the addition of traders designed to test the Millenial population? You know, you can't buy satisfaction that only comes with hard work and all that.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Rick & Joel,

I just heard about what happened, what with the loss of Uncle Jim. My condolences to you both and family of his loss. I hope all of you eventually find peace after his passing. Until then, y'all stay strong.

Any chance in the future that we could see variable layouts in POI’s?  I have seen many building layouts that have changed between alphas and it is exciting when the layouts are different than I was expecting in a familiar POI. 
We already have variable bag locations so what if you could do the same thing with doors, obstructions, and loot boxes to allow for variable paths and loot locations. 
Most of the POI’s structure/walls would always be the same, but there could be multiple interior layouts that could be generated in RWG or at quest activation. 

The variety of existing POI’s is amazing so once the quest systems are more polished it won’t matter that much. It’s just one of those things that  makes the game even more replayable.
Maybe an add-on after the game releases?

48 minutes ago, Vintorez said:

Got any ideas yet for how traders are going to be balanced compared to looting? Maybe make high tier gear also require a "trade-in" of same tier gear along with dukes? Could even just be a one time requirement to have tier 3 gear equipped when you talk to a trader "You look like you know what you're doing, I'll let you buy my serious equipment."

That is an A20 topic.

40 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Joel & Rick,

Condolences to you and your family for the loss of Uncle Jim.  Sounds like a wonderful uncle and mentor.  Thank you for sharing.

He was the best. I hope he knows his positive influence on us has reached millions of people and even though he was just a humble farmer and custodian, his actions, love and encouragement ended up causing a ripple effect that moved mountains and changed a lot of people's lives for the better.

20 minutes ago, EmpV said:

Any chance in the future that we could see variable layouts in POI’s?  I have seen many building layouts that have changed between alphas and it is exciting when the layouts are different than I was expecting in a familiar POI. 
We already have variable bag locations so what if you could do the same thing with doors, obstructions, and loot boxes to allow for variable paths and loot locations. 
Most of the POI’s structure/walls would always be the same, but there could be multiple interior layouts that could be generated in RWG or at quest activation. 

The variety of existing POI’s is amazing so once the quest systems are more polished it won’t matter that much. It’s just one of those things that  makes the game even more replayable.
Maybe an add-on after the game releases?

I doubt it, we need to leave some features and incentive to buy the sequel :)

Is there a reason some of the blocks you can make from wood frames can not be upgraded?

Not that it really matters, but I am using that one corner piece as a small ramp, because it works well with my base exit when the base is only 4 high, so I do not have to crouch going inside. 

I do not really need to upgrade it, but I can see it bothering some of the people I play with and their OCD, lol. 

I too want to express my Condolences for your and Richards loss.
Loosing someone close is always hard,

but even more so if you learnd so much from that person and feel that there was so much more you could have learned.

I hope you guys get through the tough times ahead well.

1 hour ago, pregnable said:

Not that it really matters, but I am using that one corner piece as a small ramp, because it works well with my base exit when the base is only 4 high, so I do not have to crouch going inside. 

OMG!! So the Behemoth was added to the game after all... :jaw:

@madmoleWhat are the chances of ever getting some kind of emotes? Like a sit in chairs animation for example. As something of an RPer, wouldn't it be cool to be able to sit in a lookout spot while awaiting the horde? :D Kinda like on TWD, when they were seated on top of the camper.

there seems to be a bug where if you exit the game too fast upon starting, you permanently lose the starting quest.

Also the survival mechanics seem overhauled extremely well, this is a big improvement

4 hours ago, madmole said:

I don't think there will be anything major added, and the drone won't come until A20.

Saving int run for A20 then

@madmole would it be possible for vehicles to be automatically locked when you place them down? Like storage boxes.

39 minutes ago, Tmodloader said:

there seems to be a bug where if you exit the game too fast upon starting, you permanently lose the starting quest.

Also the survival mechanics seem overhauled extremely well, this is a big improvement

Saving int run for A20 then

That's been around for a while actually.

Archived