Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

1 minute ago, MechanicalLens said:

Nonetheless, it's something to keep in mind - corporate could pull the plug anytime they want. Nothing to get paranoid about, just a fun fact at the very least.

Yes, absolutely true. I've retired from YouTube not long after Google bought it. However, even to this day, I have the right to go on YouTube and demand any video using my content to be taken down. This isn't really a corporate power thing, it's the power everybody has under copyright law.

2 minutes ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

Yes, absolutely true. I've retired from YouTube not long after Google bought it. However, even to this day, I have the right to go on YouTube and demand any video using my content to be taken down. This isn't really a corporate power thing, it's the power everybody has under copyright law.

Not doubting your abilities but I doubt you'd get very far, but I suppose it depends on the content. Reaction videos infest YouTube like flies to a wound, and unfortunately, they are considered fair use and are protected as such.

54 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

The originals were all turn based games.  So they played a lot slower and more strategic.  Tactics also was turn based but I think they introduced a new real-time mode which was decent.  I think I kept to the traditional turned based mode though.

When Fallout 3 was first announced I was a bit skeptical how they would transition to a FPS game especially the aiming system.  One of the strategic fun in the originals were that you could aim at certain body parts.  I felt Fallout 3 did a great job with the VATS system to keep some of that same strategic fun alive.  I still remember finding the unique "Lincoln's Repeater" rifle and exploding head's in slow motion from far away.  So satisfying.....

Yeah Vats masked the poor combat very nicely. They improved raw combat a lot for Fallout 4. I always loved the slow motion effect, max payne was pretty cool too.

5 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Nonetheless, it's something to keep in mind - corporate could pull the plug anytime they want. Nothing to get paranoid about, just a fun fact at the very least.

Yeah but if you are going to get technical in that regard then you might as well acknowledge that we are all just granted license to use the software we “purchased”. We are also just licensed to use Steam. Game Developers can revoke that license to use their software and Valve can revoke our license to use Steam at any time. 

Lots of plugs able to be pulled at any given time. 

Just now, Roland said:

Yeah but if you are going to get technical in that regard then you might as well acknowledge that we are all just granted license to use the software we “purchased”. We are also just licensed to use Steam. Game Developers can revoke that license to use their software and Valve can revoke our license to use Steam at any time. 

Lots of plugs able to be pulled at any given time. 

Correct. How many games were pulled from the PS4 library during its lifecycle though? 3, maybe 4? Did you know the Queen of England is allowed to kidnap any child as she sees fit, for instance, among many other questionable acts? Not saying that they are impossible, but it's something to keep in mind even if it's unlikely to occur. That's why I could never recommend anyone to do YouTube or Twitch full-time, especially without a plan B and a plan C in mind.

1 minute ago, MechanicalLens said:

Not doubting your abilities but I doubt you'd get very far, but I suppose it depends on the content. Reaction videos infest YouTube like flies to a wound, and unfortunately, they are considered fair use and are protected as such.

Reaction videos have rules though in order to fall under fair use. One requirement is that the original content cannot be played for too long. The exact amount of time I am unsure. There also must be significant commentary. There were times I have had other people's videos taken down. Some people will just outright reupload an entire video. Other times, they used portions of my videos, so I just claimed their monetization.

7 minutes ago, madmole said:

Yeah Vats masked the poor combat very nicely. They improved raw combat a lot for Fallout 4. I always loved the slow motion effect, max payne was pretty cool too.

Yeah, Max Payne was an underrated game.  It storytelling and general game world was pretty dark and gloomy and the game did get a bit abstract towards the end but still felt it was a good game.  I even downloaded a matrix mod for that game since the slow motion mechanic fit perfectly for it.  Who wouldn't want to play as Neo in that iconic lobby scene? :)

1 minute ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

Reaction videos have rules though in order to fall under fair use. One requirement is that the original content cannot be played for too long. The exact amount of time I am unsure. There also must be significant commentary. There were times I have had other people's videos taken down. Some people will just outright reupload an entire video. Other times, they used portions of my videos, so I just claimed their monetization.

Streams must fall under different rules then. I don't watch reaction videos/streams out of entertainment but I checked a few out a couple years ago "for science purposes" and I came across a stream of a guy drooling with a bag of chips in his hand, and he was "reacting" to a live event (forgot which one) for 2 hours, and he never said a word. I've lost the link to the stream since (it was on YouTube by the way), but I checked it half a year later and it was still up.

MrDalekJD is pretty notorious for having 10-30 seconds of commentary at the beginning of his videos and then outright re-uploading entire videos without any alterations or interruptions on his part, and rarely, if ever, are his videos removed. Hardly surprising though, YouTube is far from perfect.

1 minute ago, Phazr said:

Also if you enjoy the original fallouts the wasteland 2 was a pretty awesome game

Thanks beerfly!

I have heard alot about Wasteland 2 and also Atom RPG.  Just haven't had the time to check those titles out. 

6 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Streams must fall under different rules then. I don't watch reaction videos/streams out of entertainment but I checked a few out a couple years ago "for science purposes" and I came across a stream of a guy drooling with a bag of chips in his hand, and he was "reacting" to a live event (forgot which one) for 2 hours, and he never said a word. I've lost the link to the stream since (it was on YouTube by the way), but I checked it half a year later and it was still up.

MrDalekJD is pretty notorious for having 10-30 seconds of commentary at the beginning of his videos and then outright re-uploading entire videos without any alterations or interruptions on his part, and rarely, if ever, are his videos removed. Hardly surprising though, YouTube is far from perfect.

Some things slip through the cracks, sure. Let's see them try this with Metallica.

EDIT: Also, if those videos/streams are not monetized, often the original content owners just don't care. They just don't want someone making money off of their hard work. Understandable.

1 minute ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

Some things slip through the cracks, sure. Let's see them try this with Metallica.

I only watch official music soundtracks on YouTube (ie published by the original creator), but I would imagine there are plenty of videos out there that play the entire song with lyrics included. Like you said though, some things slip through the cracks.

Anyway, I'm off to see if my world will continue through stable. I highly doubt it though.

38 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

Doesn't mesh up with what was posted in the spoiler by @Jost Amman, so source?

It is in the gamestages.xml file. Line 110:

<gamestages>
        <config
                daysAliveChangeWhenKilled="2"

difficultyBonus="1.2"

startingWeight ="1"
                diminishingReturns ="0.5"

lootBonusEvery = "12"
                lootBonusMaxCount = "30"
                lootBonusScale = "25"

This is what it looked like in A18:

<gamestages>
<config daysAliveChangeWhenKilled="2" scavengerGameDifficultyBonus="1.0" adventurerGameDifficultyBonus="1.2" nomadGameDifficultyBonus="1.5" warriorGameDifficultyBonus="1.7" survivalistGameDifficultyBonus="2.0" insaneGameDifficultyBonus="2.5" startingWeight="1" diminishingReturns="0.2"/>

13 minutes ago, beerfly said:

You should do a full wipe, no previous worlds are compitable. That is done on every stable, have fun. 

https://7daystodie.com/a19-official-release-notes/

That's not what was asked... And in this case, "previous" means recent enough to be compatible.

20 minutes ago, Phazr said:

Does the stable require a wipe from b180? Or will I be okay to leave my server as is. Im sure this has been asked and I missed it so my bad.

Considering that b180 *is* the same version as this stable, there should be no _need_ for a wipe.

9 minutes ago, RipClaw said:

It is in the gamestages.xml file. Line 110:

<gamestages>
        <config
                daysAliveChangeWhenKilled="2"

difficultyBonus="1.2"

startingWeight ="1"
                diminishingReturns ="0.5"

lootBonusEvery = "12"
                lootBonusMaxCount = "30"
                lootBonusScale = "25"

This is what it looked like in A18:

<gamestages>
<config daysAliveChangeWhenKilled="2" scavengerGameDifficultyBonus="1.0" adventurerGameDifficultyBonus="1.2" nomadGameDifficultyBonus="1.5" warriorGameDifficultyBonus="1.7" survivalistGameDifficultyBonus="2.0" insaneGameDifficultyBonus="2.5" startingWeight="1" diminishingReturns="0.2"/>

Thanks. Looks like the explanation text that @Jost Amman quoted is at least a couple versions out of date then. :D 

Just now, Dethar said:

The only thing I have heard is Dragon Force is allowing streamers to use their music. Not sure if you like them tho. Believe it was Firespark that mentioned it in one of his videos.

Worst case I mute all but the salvageable gun sound effects and talk over. Could be so much easier though and better. I'm not sure why a game dev would not allow their game menu audio to be used on their game footage even if it is under NDA but I guess I have to roll with it.

3 minutes ago, noob_Lurker said:

That's not what was asked... And in this case, "previous" means recent enough to be compatible.

Considering that b180 *is* the same version as this stable, there should be no _need_ for a wipe.

I'm just not going to update for this very reason.

Archived