Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

28 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

That's exactly the case. I wouldn't call it a fail though. I like the fact that they threat me with an update on the general timeframe of 24 hours after posting. 

Oh... In that case i wouldn't call it just a "fail" either. Making you post something that isn't true, and might not be true for hours is definitely a complete @%$*#!-up.

43 minutes ago, Outlaw_187 said:

Question....when building minibike, motorcycles, etc...should I build those with quality 1 batteries & save the good batteries for something else? 

I think I read somewhere that quality no longer matters in vehicles like it used to. 

For vehicles the quality of batteries does not matter, therefore I'd always use the worst one for that purpose. Better batteries either sell for a lot of money to the trader or can be used to generate electricity in a battery bank, where quality matters.

14 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

I'm just curious as for the reasoning behind the decision for making the wine barrels not lootable again. Was it found to be too overpowered early game, with all that bottled murky water?

They are still lootable in my game? i hope they dont follow through with that, if anything they should add more loot to them like beer, grain alcohol or if your really lucky moonshine.

22 minutes ago, bloodmoth13 said:

They are still lootable in my game? i hope they dont follow through with that, if anything they should add more loot to them like beer, grain alcohol or if your really lucky moonshine.

If you didn’t start a new map for b180 the already spawned ones will still be lootable. Any new ones that get found probably won’t be. :p

Any hints on what we can expect in the .1 and .2 patches for A19?    Only reason I ask is that I still may hold off on starting a game for a bit if the .2 patch as a semi big feature like the junk drone or a big balance change.    I am in no rush, I don't care... I just would rather start a real game when the big things are more set in stone.  Like if the .X patches will just be various small bug fixes and optimizations (which im fine with) I'll start a new game up today.  

36 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

Any hints on what we can expect in the .1 and .2 patches for A19?    Only reason I ask is that I still may hold off on starting a game for a bit if the .2 patch as a semi big feature like the junk drone or a big balance change.    I am in no rush, I don't care... I just would rather start a real game when the big things are more set in stone.  Like if the .X patches will just be various small bug fixes and optimizations (which im fine with) I'll start a new game up today.  

<throws a bone out into the busy street... whistles... there boy, go get it> :)

Spoiler

uh bug fixes

3 hours ago, noob_Lurker said:

Except the issue in the screenshot is not about the forums, but about the changelog. And it happens for other pages of the site too (main page, news page, etc) :-s

Any chance for an estimate of when it might get fixed? It's been hours already. Getting into double-digits even. 😐

I never said it was a good joke...  

As soon as the rush to read the patch notes by every person who just realized that their game just updated relaxes. It will probably be on and off over the next day or so as it gets reset and then overwhelmed again. 

2 minutes ago, Roland said:

As soon as the rush to read the patch notes by every person who just realized that their game just updated relaxes. It will probably be on and off over the next day or so as it gets reset and then overwhelmed again. 

you should have bought a generous bottle of relaxants and handed a few out. :)

3 hours ago, noob_Lurker said:

Oh... In that case i wouldn't call it just a "fail" either. Making you post something that isn't true, and might not be true for hours is definitely a complete @%$*#!-up.

It wasn’t hours though. It was less than one hour. They were trying to pull all the levers simultaneously but one got pulled slightly faster. At this point it is all moot. The update has been out for a day now and everyone who wishes to, is playing. 

Reading the patch notes will be tough for awhile longer yet. 

12 hours ago, faatal said:

I'm just talking about melee combat reach. Watch a player hit stuff. They can hit while visually not touching. Now some of that extra reach might stay, because we may decide it makes for better feeling combat. Just my opinion.

Yeah I tuned it the way it is because otherwise you have to clip polygons to score a hit and it sort of looked and felt wrong when we tried realism.

"500 unique POIs that can spawn!"

Thats how many are possible in RWG maps, thats amazing to be honest. You done over 500 buildings - WOW

I gone through a RWG map covered about 5 separate towns/cites. I understand that POI are repeatable in each city so I do not think I will ever see every POI any time soon thats for sure..

Thats still quite amazing variety for the game. :)

"Lowering your screen resolution will only increase FPS if your video card (GPU) is the bottleneck. If your CPU is the bottleneck, a lower resolution will not increase FPS."

Whats the bottleneck if CPU and GPU are not over 80% utilised yet the game doesn't go over say 70fps ?

15 minutes ago, Jay_ombie said:

"500 unique POIs that can spawn!"

Thats how many are possible in RWG maps, thats amazing to be honest. You done over 500 buildings - WOW

I gone through a RWG map covered about 5 separate towns/cites. I understand that POI are repeatable in each city so I do not think I will ever see every POI any time soon thats for sure..

Thats still quite amazing variety for the game. :)

"Lowering your screen resolution will only increase FPS if your video card (GPU) is the bottleneck. If your CPU is the bottleneck, a lower resolution will not increase FPS."

Whats the bottleneck if CPU and GPU are not over 80% utilised yet the game doesn't go over say 70fps ?

Yeah, they'll be repeats since the largest towns over 150+ POI's and the medium ones have close to a hundred, and the only POI I've seen duplicate in a town more than once is the well with the bunker underneath (a town I'm close to has two of them), but otherwise it's fantastic work. :)

I'm noticing a distinct lack of military bases though. Other than Red Mesa, I haven't seen any of them, like, at all. 😕 Too low of a spawn priority?

10 hours ago, Biscoitoso said:

Where are you to help me then? =(

I am infected and with broken arm and no medication, that is in my vehicle in the entrance and I am at 13th level.

Oh sheetz candy would come in handy, or place some hay bales.

I'm rather bored today so I thought I'd tell a joke I just came up with. Sorry that this is off topic. 😛 I hope it brightens the rest of your day(s). Here it is:

A bank robber was recently caught and brought into police custody. He was charged with not wearing a proper protective mask, putting anyone who got into contact with him at risk. He was promised that he'll be able to return to the bank for the rest of the money once he purchases the appropriate faceware.

6 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

I'm rather bored today so I thought I'd tell a joke I just came up with. Sorry that this is off topic. 😛 I hope it brightens the rest of your day(s). Here it is:

A bank robber was recently caught and brought into police custody. He was charged with not wearing a proper protective mask, putting anyone who got into contact with him at risk. He was promised that he'll be able to return to the bank for the rest of the money once he purchases the appropriate faceware.

where i live you get charged if you don't wear a facemask if say you are robbing a bank! BUT YOU WILL ALSO GET CHARGED IF YOU DO!

Im not joking...

don't get any ideas

4 hours ago, SnowDog1942 said:

I don't think there will be anything major added, and the drone won't come until A20.

3 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

@Roland You can remove the post above this one (or two above if this one ends up below the reply to Adam's comment) if you wish. I apologize, I should not be telling offensive jokes like that and I regret my decision.

i don't see whats so "offensive" about it but to eachs own!

although i may not see it because i have a dark sense of humor... and a Dumb sense of humor

14 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

Darn, people take things far too seriously these days.

im not joking though. its dumb and funny!

Got any ideas yet for how traders are going to be balanced compared to looting? Maybe make high tier gear also require a "trade-in" of same tier gear along with dukes? Could even just be a one time requirement to have tier 3 gear equipped when you talk to a trader "You look like you know what you're doing, I'll let you buy my serious equipment."

3 minutes ago, Vintorez said:

Got any ideas yet for how traders are going to be balanced compared to looting? Maybe make high tier gear also require a "trade-in" of same tier gear along with dukes?

The trader balance will come in due time, Vintorez, and that won't be in A19. Until then, we wait.

Unless you're okay with receiving overpowered rewards and the traders having unbalanced stock, I recommend seldom visiting them, if at all. All I've purchased from them so far are cobblestone, glue/duct tape, casings/tips/buckshot/gunpowder, concrete mix, cement, and the odd blade trap.

Archived