Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

19 minutes ago, faatal said:

Why do you think all that analytics software exists?

Ultimately to make money.

Can be from improving a product, like TFPs want to do for 7dtd & future games, or can be selling info to marketing companies.

8 minutes ago, faatal said:

Unity has collected some or all of the following information about your device: unique device identifiers (e.g., IDFV for iOS devices and Android ID for Android devices); IP address

Thanks for sharing this. Collecting broad-use unique identifiers is not ok with me. I'll double check that I have them fully blocked.

Creating & using a unique, to the product, id can be okay. Best practice would be that the id is created by a non-reversible hash (since theres generally need for unique input to ensure a unique end result; can be something like ip + pc name + date&time) then id should have most restrictive file permissions possible applied.

Some may not recall when Intel decided to make CPU Serial Numbers available for software to scan. That didn't turn out well for them.

Again to be clear, I don't think TFPs have any interest in capturing any data other than what they can directly use to improve their game.

While that means, in effect, that they are "making money off of me", in this narrow circumstance that's ok w me.

But we all need to be really clear that giant companies like Google & Facebook make billions of dollars by selling/leveraging their users data.

Why haven't we ever seen a check from them?

1 hour ago, Blake_ said:

Yes, on default time it is impossible to reach T5 in 6.30-7 hours. I reached T4 a couple of times by doing around 15+ buried supplies quests of the 2 tiers day and night from various traders and 1 clear tier 1. Never got to actually do the tier 4 though. What if I do and I get stuck? My point is within my previous posts. It will not always be fun to interrupt an awesome campaign quest with nice storyline because the red night is coming and we have to brace ourselves.

On topic: how was your testing today? Any chance we can see a video? Or test ourselves lol. 

Testing is going really well. It feels solid like 18 but looks pretty. I like the new ISS. Eating and drinking feel good you don't get any penalties until 50% so you don't really feel the need to over eat anymore. Health and water bars are immersive. Combat is cool, the stumbling zombies never gets old. I survived day 7 no problem with a meager 7x7 but I did have two rows of concrete but they didn't get past my traps or grenades. I haven't died yet so the GS was about 30, so there were a fair amount of zombies. I'm doing an INT build. The baton is fine. I used a junk sledge quite a bit the first week but now I have a Q5 AK so I don't bother with it so much. INT is pretty easy. Str is my secondary attribute so I can mine and need some sex rex for melee.

The new cheaper auxiliary perks are nice and I've been dabbling in more than I normally would. I crafted a bicycle but then my stamina was so lame I ended up getting a rank of cardio. Food is a struggle the first week and when your t1 dig quests are gone you end up eating everything you can find, but the meat stockpiles up. I caved in and bought master chef so I could make teas and boil meat. I found a spaghetti recipe I can't wait to craft, 0% chance for food poisoning.

2 hours ago, madmole said:

I guess that isn't an easy fix. A20 we will allow players to back track to do the easier ones.

Except we do have gamesparks on consoles its PC that never got it until now, and we've got a lot more information. Performance is fine so far for me, it seems identical to A18.

Of course.

LOL I don't know what dream state you live in, but around here visibility is 6" or less. I've only been to a few lakes that have sand bottoms that have decent visibility and that is maybe 4 to 6 feet at max is what I consider a nice clear lake.

Hes comparing to the ocean which is a different animal.  In hawaii, you can actually see pretty far when snorkeling. :)

2 hours ago, Blake_ said:

Yes, on default time it is impossible to reach T5 in 6.30-7 hours. I reached T4 a couple of times by doing around 15+ buried supplies quests of the 2 tiers day and night from various traders and 1 clear tier 1. Never got to actually do the tier 4 though. What if I do and I get stuck? My point is within my previous posts. It will not always be fun to interrupt an awesome campaign quest with nice storyline because the red night is coming and we have to brace ourselves.

On topic: how was your testing today? Any chance we can see a video? Or test ourselves lol. 

Not disagreeing, but that is an extreme edge case imo and not a high priority compared to other things.  

Just out of curiosity @madmole do you think we might get more electrical melee weapons in the game?  Like a cattleprod for tier 2 and maybe, i dunno, electric knuckles for tier 3 or something like that, i love the stun baton and would mind a new weapon to go along with it, of course down the road.

On another note, have your world builders thought about doing some pois that could be underwater for random gen?  Like sunken ships, houses that fell into random sinkholes, just as ideas to bring out the swimming a little more?

Just now, Phoenixshade35 said:

On another note, have your world builders thought about doing some pois that could be underwater for random gen?  Like sunken ships, houses that fell into random sinkholes, just as ideas to bring out the swimming a little more?

I don't know about the rest, but I think water should be reworked before adding any other things to it. It's really buggy as of now...

@madmole

now sense i have a few questions but i know you don't like answering multiple questions (and i don't want to mass spam you) ill ask one per day (only 2) 

will there be any new weapon books for Hammers and Knifes in A19 or the future because we have everything else (spears, knuckles, clubs, guns. bows, etc)

1 hour ago, madmole said:

Testing is going really well. It feels solid like 18 but looks pretty. I like the new ISS. Eating and drinking feel good you don't get any penalties until 50% so you don't really feel the need to over eat anymore. Health and water bars are immersive. Combat is cool, the stumbling zombies never gets old. I survived day 7 no problem with a meager 7x7 but I did have two rows of concrete but they didn't get past my traps or grenades. I haven't died yet so the GS was about 30, so there were a fair amount of zombies. I'm doing an INT build. The baton is fine. I used a junk sledge quite a bit the first week but now I have a Q5 AK so I don't bother with it so much. INT is pretty easy. Str is my secondary attribute so I can mine and need some sex rex for melee.

The new cheaper auxiliary perks are nice and I've been dabbling in more than I normally would. I crafted a bicycle but then my stamina was so lame I ended up getting a rank of cardio. Food is a struggle the first week and when your t1 dig quests are gone you end up eating everything you can find, but the meat stockpiles up. I caved in and bought master chef so I could make teas and boil meat. I found a spaghetti recipe I can't wait to craft, 0% chance for food poisoning.

If you have some free time while testing can you try to get some upskirt shots of Trader Jen?

33 minutes ago, Xtrakicking said:

I don't know about the rest, but I think water should be reworked before adding any other things to it. It's really buggy as of now...

That's fair, but for down the road i think it would be interesting to see, flooded areas could be a thing to start seeing too, some pois are flooded already and i think they are neat lol, i just hope for more in the future, i can't wait to find the new books in a19 to see what we get haha.

4 hours ago, madmole said:

LOL I don't know what dream state you live in, but around here visibility is 6" or less. I've only been to a few lakes that have sand bottoms that have decent visibility and that is maybe 4 to 6 feet at max is what I consider a nice clear lake.

Im talking about game design here, not realistic visibility in muddy water.

Having 6 feet would be as good as not seeing underwater at all.

The player needs to have the chance to see the threat at one meaningful point.

4 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Not disagreeing, but that is an extreme edge case imo and not a high priority compared to other things.  

Well of course.Though not much of an edge case, same thing could theoretically happen with, say, a T3 or T2.

1 hour ago, Blake_ said:

Well of course.Though not much of an edge case, same thing could theoretically happen with, say, a T3 or T2.

Edge case Smedge Smase...

I disagree with your premise. I think that it is PREFERABLE that quests can get interrupted by other events. If you are in the middle of a quest there should not be a bubble of protection around you. A wandering horde could happen by, the blood moon could start, or even bandits could crash your party in the future. If that makes you fail the quest then so be it. 

We have new settings to make the horde night happen randomly and with no warning other than thunder starting 4 hours before the event happens. That is a wonderful and amazing setting that would be competely screwed over by designing things so that hordes can never overlap quests. If you have your horde night set on regular intervals and know what those intervals are then it should be no problem to keep the two events from colliding. And if for some reason you miscalculate and it happens then you have to deal with it- either by abandoning the quest or MacGueyvering a defense out of what you have.

6 minutes ago, Roland said:

Edge case Smedge Smase...

I disagree with your premise. I think that it is PREFERABLE that quests can get interrupted by other events. If you are in the middle of a quest there should not be a bubble of protection around you. A wandering horde could happen by, the blood moon could start, or even bandits could crash your party in the future. If that makes you fail the quest then so be it. 

We have new settings to make the horde night happen randomly and with no warning other than thunder starting 4 hours before the event happens. That is a wonderful and amazing setting that would be competely screwed over by designing things so that hordes can never overlap quests. If you have your horde night set on regular intervals and know what those intervals are then it should be no problem to keep the two events from colliding. And if for some reason you miscalculate and it happens then you have to deal with it- either by abandoning the quest or MacGueyvering a defense out of what you have.

I'm just talking specifically about the horde night. Nothing more, nothing less. Just the horde night. Nothing else has the power to bug and make you fail 100% the quest. I'm all about random foreign events. But a bugged npc quest in which entities don't even spawn due to the horde night? that needs a look.

Edit: The random horde setting is a nice roleplay. But  it is just a preference, not exactly noob material. So default is the target here. Events/random hordes cool, hordus interruptus bad.

53 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

I'm just talking specifically about the horde night. Nothing more, nothing less. Just the horde night. Nothing else has the power to bug and make you fail 100% the quest. I'm all about random foreign events. But a bugged npc quest in which entities don't even spawn due to the horde night? that needs a look.

Edit: The random horde setting is a nice roleplay. But  it is just a preference, not exactly noob material. So default is the target here. Events/random hordes cool, hordus interruptus bad.

Well IF the horde night causes the quest to bug out and cause weird glitches then I agree that needs to be fixed. The fix is not to keept them separate however. The fix is to make sure there are no conflicts. I think I'll try a game tonight with nightly blood moons and I will purposely start quests right before they start and see if it does indeed cause buggy behavior. I'm sure Prime can work it so that you get the quest spawns in addition to blood moon spawns if indeed the blood moon spawning rules are stealing from the quests and causing them to fail.

21 minutes ago, Roland said:

Well IF the horde night causes the quest to bug out and cause weird glitches then I agree that needs to be fixed. The fix is not to keept them separate however. The fix is to make sure there are no conflicts. I think I'll try a game tonight with nightly blood moons and I will purposely start quests right before they start and see if it does indeed cause buggy behavior. I'm sure Prime can work it so that you get the quest spawns in addition to blood moon spawns if indeed the blood moon spawning rules are stealing from the quests and causing them to fail.

You need to try a T4, T5 with clear in it for it to happen apparently.  Lower tiers should also bug out, but due to the small amount of Zds, that case probably won't happen.

64 Zds horde and T5 should directly result in the unspawning/non spawning of sleeper Zds. That said, I haven't tested it for a looooong time.

Nevertheless, I would put the horde night on hold until after the quest is done (and make it an option in the start settings). Even random events should be finely timed to certain quest progression moments for certain quest sizes. That is not a19 talk though.

2 hours ago, Blake_ said:

Not sure if your just trolling at this point...

There is a function to not interrupt the player with blood moons.  It's called turning them off lol...

Worse things would happen if they tried to programmatically make them not interrupt each other.  For example, exploits.  Want to skip horde night? Let's start a quest, yay!!!

Thank god for the telemetry software...then the devs can see what are edge cases and not waste limited dev time on it....

• Roland locked this topic
  • Roland unlocked this topic
  • Roland locked and unpinned this topic

Archived