Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

16 hours ago, schwanz9000 said:

Those look like standard ramps, correct? If so, you want something like this? Probably wouldn't hurt to have them for wedge60 too. 

image.thumb.png.bf3852f0466782b22cd2d5b336f79636.png

Looks about right, I think it needs to be a half block though and not a full one because I think the block you showed would stick out like a sore thumb on top if it was a wedge 60 based roof. 

so if a wedge 60 based version of the rooftop piece you showed existed that would be nice

The pink block I referenced in my post was Cube 1/2 gable inverted quarter for reference 

Edit @schwanz9000 also YES EXACTLY LIKE THAT but(but for wedge/slope 60's as well please

Edited by POCKET951 (see edit history)

Small request. Could the 'dropped loot' bag for arrows and bolts be a different colour than brown, so when zombies despawn we can tell they are our ammo.
And, could the despawn timer for the dropped loot bags be longer than 60 secs, 180 would be nice so there's less panic when trying to quickly organise inventory before they despawn (I mean the sack and not the loot container bag)

Edited by FranticDan (see edit history)

2 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

Better yet do it like UL and actually give us an image of the POI in the quest screen.

Absolutely, such a simple but amazing feature. Especially as the number of POIs grows, if you don't recognise the name you might recognise the picture and vise versa

16 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

For example, every time the drone hits a wall it makes a noise, and if you're in a tight room it's very annoying to hear all that banging (some even think they're being attacked).

The drone bonking into something sounds too much like a zombie has spawned nearby and is about to confront me. Psyche! If the drone's gotta have a collision sound effect, how about something that sounds a bit more metallic in nature? And why should I even need to know that the drone has run into something? Its not like I have any control over its pathing. That eager-to-assist assistant is problematic enough as it is. My vote is to eliminate that sound effect altogether. Serves no purpose in my opinion, other than to scare the poop outta me...like standing on a fallen roof tile in a Crack a Book POI (but that tile crunch, I get it).  🤖

15 hours ago, schwanz9000 said:

Unless it is something missing like @POCKET951's post, I'm not exactly taking shape requests, however, if you wanted to start a new post somewhere that has reference photos of what you're talking about, I'd at least take a look and consider it.
No statues. We'll leave that to the art guys to decide if they want/need to add those as art props. Shapes are basic geometry...mostly.

Thank you for reading ! 

You already have a lot on your hands and I honestly intended them as "missing" awesomeness from their respective trim and fence areas. Now, you read it. You can't unread those shapes, lol. I personally like when you implement non-euclidean ones like the clock, even though some are a pain to balance.

350 new shapes is like 30% more shapes than we already have, that's a huge deal for builders, again, thank you! 

in A21, will there be more weapon specific mods?
- The clubs have 3 specific to them
- The bows have 2, crossbows 1
- The stun baton has 1

- Knives and machete has none
- Sledgehammers have none
- Spears have none

I can think of a mod for the spear, allows auto pickup within 2m (takes 1 second after throwing to activate to prevent instant pickup)

50 minutes ago, FranticDan said:

in A21, will there be more weapon specific mods?
- The clubs have 3 specific to them
- The bows have 2, crossbows 1
- The stun baton has 1

- Knives and machete has none
- Sledgehammers have none
- Spears have none

I can think of a mod for the spear, allows auto pickup within 2m (takes 1 second after throwing to activate to prevent instant pickup)

Never thought of that. Boomerang mod for the spear, eh? I like that.

I'd like to mix and match and perhaps stack melee mods. Spikes on a sledge hammer. Barbed wire and chain mod on a club. Would use up the growing inventory in the 'Melee Mods' box. Or just sell the excess to the Trader like I usually do.  

2 minutes ago, maxousara said:

Biome percent sliders is available in alpha 20.6 or in alpha 21. I can't found it in alpha 20.6 and on the first page the description said its available.

It was originally planned for A21 but was backported to A20.6 experimental. 

4 hours ago, maxousara said:

Biome percent sliders is available in alpha 20.6 or in alpha 21. I can't found it in alpha 20.6 and on the first page the description said its available.

You have to go to the Advanced Generation button, still hidden on the New Game screen, even then only visible when New Random World is selected on the game world list...

This is a sore point of mine for a while. I see no reason to have world generation spread out like it is. 

Currently, you can gen from New Game, from Advanced Generation, or from Random Gen Previewer, which many people don't realize makes usable maps, not just Previews. IIRC, it's been a while, you can also gen from the World Editor.

That's four different places, none of which are explained particularly well. This system needs consolidation. 

There should be a button on the main menu, Map Generation. It should take you to what is currently the Advanced Generation screen, now called Map Generation. This would be only place to generate world, with editing tools branching from this screen.

There should be more detailed descriptions of settings and a big announcement at the end of process explaining where to access your new world. Even put a tag on the World list denoting the freshly made world so folks don't get confused with the names.

One stop shopping for world generation.

Edited by Catdaddy (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Catdaddy said:

*stuff*

There should be more detailed descriptions of settings and a big announcement at the end of process explaining where to access your new world. Even put a tag on the World list denoting the freshly made world so folks don't get confused with the names.

One stop shopping for world generation.

I'm absolutely certain that once this new rwg is done, it will be all that and a bag of chips.  Kin hasn't let us down yet.

1 hour ago, Catdaddy said:

That's four different places, none of which are explained particularly well. This system needs consolidation. 

There should be a button on the main menu, Map Generation. It should take you to what is currently the Advanced Generation screen, now called Map Generation. This would be only place to generate world, with editing tools branching from this screen.

I have a feeling that a lot of what you want will come after the system is finished and they got it to a place that they want.  Consolidation, descriptions - those things will be added once changes are frozen.  Get the mechanisms in - test them, change them, modify them - freeze them - work on the auxiliary components (descriptions, help menus, updating the UI)

46 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

Hopefully Salt and Vinegar chips.

LOL. Yeah, off topic I know but they sell cucumber flavored chips at my local supermarket. Barbecued squid flavor too. Not a fan of either variety. I prefer those known-brand cheese flavored triangular corn chips myself (no product endorsement here). 🙊

The RWG has come a long way with giving us lots of new options for sure. Fun to experiment with and as BFT2020 says, they'll iron-out the ridges, er wrinkles soon enough.

BTW, how do I get  the name of a forum member to appear in that highlighted elipse I often see on here?  Straying off topic once again....

2 minutes ago, Melange said:

BTW, how do I get  the name of a forum member to appear in that highlighted elipse I often see on here?  Straying off topic once again....

@Melange I assume you mean that? It's called a mention. Type @ followed by a username to tag them in a response. Most platforms (ie, Twitter, Facebook, etc) support this functionality as well.

@schwanz9000 perhaps you can answer? Are there plans to add new textures for coloring? Or replacing some old textures? For example, this one (in the screenshot) I can't imagine in ordinary POIs, except for some... specific. Because it is too... what should I call it... too expressive. If a farmer, a football player and several other zombies were removed from the game because they could be too rare in the world, according to this logic, and such a texture should be replaced with something? Maybe add more wallpaper for living spaces? (please) You can also consider some other textures (for example, 3 types of awning). What do you think?🙏

A20.6_2022-08-05_01-15-43.jpg

14 minutes ago, Games'n'Grumble said:

Or replacing some old textures? For example, this one

Oh no, please don't. (LOL) I don't want to have to go hunt down all the changed textures. We just did that moving from A19 to A20 for some texture. There's just no good way to find them. I think I'm still finding mirrored surfaces where I didn't think I had mirrored surfaces before.

Somebody rotated mailboxes between A19 and A20. At least I could use a tool to find the mailbox blocks. :)

4 minutes ago, zztong said:

Oh no, please don't. (LOL) I don't want to have to go hunt down all the changed textures. We just did that moving from A19 to A20 for some texture. There's just no good way to find them. I think I'm still finding mirrored surfaces where I didn't think I had mirrored surfaces before.

Somebody rotated mailboxes between A19 and A20. At least I could use a tool to find the mailbox blocks. :)

But you will agree that this bright texture of wallpaper... too provocative?🤪 Okay, shall we agree on adding new textures (as if the decision of the developers depends on our opinion 😅) ??