Alpha 21 Dev Diary

Roland

3 hours ago, Arma Rex said:

It's been almost five months since the thread first opened up and we've seen a lot of progress being made by the Devs. Can we expect to see a stream soon, or is it too early for that?

You will get no answer from the devs about that, but we  know 2 things :

1.They do love Halloween and Christmas and

2.They usually take 8 to 10 months from dev diary opening to exp release, since a17. Expect something between late November 2022 all the way to January 2023 for experimental, barring no strong features are squeezed in, like a prominent nose or a splitted chin.

5 hours ago, Blake_ said:

You will get no answer from the devs about that, but we  know 2 things :

1.They do love Halloween and Christmas and

2.They usually take 8 to 10 months from dev diary opening to exp release, since a17. Expect something between late November 2022 all the way to January 2023 for experimental, barring no strong features are squeezed in, like a prominent nose or a splitted chin.

They also invented screamers ingame, for when we even have a blink of a thought about next alpha release date. 

P.S. Heat map is just an illusion, put as much torches and stuff as you want. 

Edited by beerfly
missed a letter (see edit history)

On 7/26/2022 at 3:41 AM, Roland said:

So half classic half progressive.

and full 💩

On 7/25/2022 at 6:43 PM, schwanz9000 said:

The dew collector is not the only way to get jars of water. Do you guys not quest or loot POI's? 

Spoiler

DO YOU GUYS NOT QUEST OR LOOT POI'S? | image tagged in do you guys not have phones | made w/ Imgflip meme maker

35 minutes ago, BadPlayer said:

No, that's my point.

In the xml's, there is a whole section for city. But no slider for it.

As far as I know, the Towns slider also affects this section. Apparently you want a slider that only affects this section.

1 hour ago, BadPlayer said:

No, that's my point.

In the xml's, there is a whole section for city. But no slider for it.

No, the towns/cities sliders are one, it's just a naming conundrum.

Until they add a separate slider...

Edit: the only one who can confirm 100% this however is @Kinyajuu! :) 

Edited by Jost Amman (see edit history)

Yo @faatal

...with the new A21 player character, will we be seeing a change in hold types?

I've been noticing a large discrepancy in object orientation between 1st and 3rd person hold types of the same object, i.e. Z may be facing outwards in 1st person but facing upwards in 3rd person, and wanted to know if the new player character would "fix" this.  Thanks!

The ranged weapon hold types are pretty uniform, it's those dastardly melee ones I'm interested in.

9 hours ago, BadPlayer said:

How do you know this?

In the rwgmixer.xml there is the following section

<property class="city">
                       <property name="few" value="1"/>
                       <property name="default" value="2"/>
                       <property name="many" value="3"/>

<property name="mintiles" value="14"/>
                       <property name="maxtiles" value="18"/>
               </property>

The labels few, default, many correspond to the choices you have under the Towns slider. 

You can just give it a try. Create a map with different Towns settings and check in the result if there are more or less cities on the map.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

How they handle skill trees is why I think the fun pimps have cognitive dissonance. How can you screw up a skill tree so goood. It's one of those overlooked problems with the game. The limitations that they put on players by roping in weapons with life skills leaves me scratching my head saying what's the point. Is it to over powered to have a sniper be a farmer or are you just limiting us from playing how we want to play because skill trees sounded good.🤪 There's no rime or reason why the skill trees should work this way. Attributes contribute a lot to the problem making it very hard to mix and match skills from other skill trees. Attribute themselves only effect headshot damage and don't do much else. Could be 10x better if they would just sketch out a coherent vision.

Edited by Zombiepoptard (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Zombiepoptard said:

How they handle skill trees is why I think the fun pimps have cognitive dissonance. How can you screw up a skill tree so goood. It's one of those overlooked problems with the game. The limitations that they put on players by roping in weapons with life skills leaves me scratching my head saying what's the point. Is it to over powered to have a sniper be a farmer or are you just limiting us from playing how we want to play because skill trees sounded good.🤪 There's no rime or reason why the skill trees should work this way. Attributes contribute a lot to the problem making it very hard to mix and match skills from other skill trees. Attribute themselves only effect headshot damage and don't do much else. Could be 10x better if they would just sketch out a coherent vision.

The attributes look exactly like classes in RPGs to me. Why is a cleric in Pathfinder never able to ride a horse as well as a fighter? Why is the druid easily better at sense motive, even though he might be less intelligent than the fighter? 

A few reasons to do this come to mind:

It offers the player structure he can follow, models so to speak.

It makes it easier for the player to make a really different character the next time. If you can freely select perks you tend to always use the same ones.

And it is easier for TFP to balance classes than the individual perks in a totally open system.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

The attributes look exactly like classes in RPGs to me. Why is a cleric in Pathfinder never able to ride a horse as well as a fighter? Why is the druid easily better at sense motive, even though he might be less intelligent than the fighter? 

A few reasons to do this come to mind:

It offers the player structure he can follow, models so to speak.

It makes it easier for the player to make a really different character the next time. If you can freely select perks you tend to always use the same ones.

And it is easier for TFP to balance classes than the individual perks in a totally open system.

in addition, skill points in the game are generally given more than the number of perks

1 hour ago, Games&#x27;n&#x27;Grumble said:

Hi @faatal! Quick question - how do you think, when the game will approach gold, is it possible to hope that the performance of the game will allow us to run in cities consisting of skyscrapers (5-6 floors) so that it looks like the Walking Dead? Or does it sound unlikely yet?

You can do that now