Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

34 minutes ago, zztong said:

Extra Small is 25x25, Small is 42x42, Medium is 60x60, and Large is 100x100. I thought it got mentioned in the stream, but it was also disclosed previously.

Robert mentioned last night some functionality that would allow smaller sized POIs to fit in larger sizes.  However, my recommendation for custom prefab creators is to try and update your POIs to conform to these new standard dimensions for the best experience.

I believe creating custom sizes is possible, it is just probably more work to try and do so AND create enough custom POIs to fill that new custom size.

Edit:  Unless your goal is to create a unique custom tile set specifically for only certain POIs, which sounds very doable (e.g. The Walking Dead Woodbury, etc.)

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

2 hours ago, faatal said:

Nope. Designers, artists, programmers are all still tweaking stuff and working on features, while also fixing bugs. If we even have a real content lock, it would probably be the final week.

It is there. It works like you would expect. It was done by an outside programmer, so is not in an area of any of the programmers in the streams.

Ah cool, thanks for the response. It's oddly one of the new features I'm most looking forward to. I think it'll encourage people to build a bit bigger

44 minutes ago, Doomofman said:

Ah cool, thanks for the response. It's oddly one of the new features I'm most looking forward to. I think it'll encourage people to build a bit bigger

Or smaller if playing PvP. Your opponents will be able to see your large structures from very far away now whereas in the past they had to stumble into that proximity limit at which your structure would load with the rest of the chunk. From the snowy mountain tops near Navezgane you can see things built on the roof of the hospital...

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

Robert mentioned last night some functionality that would allow smaller sized POIs to fit in larger sizes.  However, my recommendation for custom prefab creators is to try and update your POIs to conform to these new standard dimensions for the best experience.

I believe creating custom sizes is possible, it is just probably more work to try and do so AND create enough custom POIs to fill that new custom size.

Edit:  Unless your goal is to create a unique custom tile set specifically for only certain POIs, which sounds very doable (e.g. The Walking Dead Woodbury, etc.)

I've puzzled through my own POIs and largely concluded trimming or padding them to hit the standard sizes is best and quite doable, specially when we get to offload things like large parking lots to the Tiles. Wilderness POIs are cool at whatever size.

The "tough decision" folks face are POIs in the 110x110 to 150x150 range, as there are no TFP Tiles with a POI Marker that can hold them and they might not be able to trim. A Custom Tile will work, but since there isn't a standard size up that large, the POIs will probably get placed in the manner of being justified to the front and then centered, which Richard described. It would be handy to for the community to come together and say XL = 140x140. Then make Tiles to support that size. It may be that only 140x140 fits on "cap" tiles where you only have one road interface to support.

For those with POIs larger than that where placement within a Township is desired, then you're kind of stuck. That's one reason why folks are looking for a way to basically tie two Tiles together and then limit the POI selection for the POI Markers on those Tiles. (If you're gonna lock tiles together, you might as well support 2x2 Tiles ... so that folks get 300x300 blocks and I think that would end it, unless you want something like a long runway for an airport, maybe?)

Custom Districts look like they'll be fun. One challenge I face there is that my custom Tiles could be rotated and will border other Districts. This means if I were to try to standardize a transition between Tiles (like an elevated walkway), it would work great between the Tiles of my District, but just end in mid-air when pointed towards a Tile in another District or the Wilderness. So, all that sort of thinking has to remain within a Tile, not between Tiles, unless Parts became smart enough to make selections based on (1) if the Part touched the edge of the Tile and (2) the neighboring Tile was not of the same District.

These aren't complaints. I've just been having fun thinking about things and trying to predict the future.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Or smaller if playing PvP. Your opponents will be able to see your large structures from very far away now whereas in the past they had to stumble into that proximity limit at which your structure would load with the rest of the chunk. From the snowy mountain tops near Navezgane you can see things built on the roof of the hospital...

I don't do PvP, but to my knowledge every experienced player builds down at bedrock level anyway.

@ TFP's

Concerning waterfront poi's in RWG, have you discussed a lake district?

Wouldn't a simple tile with a lake or pond in the center allow placement of those great waterfront poi's currently exclusive to Navezgane? If so could a lake district be expanded using different water tiles possibly connected by rivers in the way roads connect normal tiles now? Did I hear someone say raft?

Here's one question that came up as I talked to friends in the aftermath of the stream: Is there anything different in the output folder of a world?

I'm wondering if tools that handle alpha 19 worlds will remain unaffected or if some changes may be required.

Not sure if this has been discussed before but* I recently caught up to (mostly) every reply in this thread and was wondering something that I don't think has been answered clearly (or, 100% it has, and I can't read—very much the reality here lol). 

I know that a later alpha, either 20 or beyond, will feature an overhaul to the outfit system; dropping from 10 slots to 4, and a "whole" suit giving one or multiple perks. When the question was asked previously—I may have read it wrong,—it was said there is no perk provided if you didn't have a full set of armor. I have also read, I am 60%ish certain, that you possibly won't find all four pieces of armor in one go, and instead find either a book to make said armor, or one or two pieces at a time depending on other perks and factors. Is it alright if someone can explain a little more plainly or in-depth of what that means? 

My questions boil down to this, basically, and again I'm sorry if I've explained this badly:

• If I were to wear pieces from multiple different sets of armor (think helmet from one set, legs from another, etc)—is each piece going to give a miniscule bonus, and the total of all four pieces gives you the full bonus, or is it no extra bonuses at all? 
  • Does the previous question also affect a set's armor rating; as in, if I were to wear only one or two pieces from the same set of armor, would I not get an armor rating, or will it work like it currently does where each piece gives a certain armor rating?
    • In a similar vein, will there be an extra armor rating bonus for wearing all four pieces of the same set?
  • And, if it is and or none of those, does it work more like the current system, or a system in which if you have anything less than a full set, you don't get anything at all? 

Again, sorry if this was roundabout, I'm terrible at explaining things and my thought processes are very jumbled a lot of the time! x

Edited by vergilsparda
* minor formatting/spelling error (see edit history)

34 minutes ago, Xtracker said:

I ask question on zombie Stripper Has the name been changed to Zombie PartyGirl? (If so, did she get any changes)
 or maybe it's a new zombie that hasn't been shown yet?

Have any Zombies removed from A20 ?

Thanks

Stripper is now party girl. I think football player and cheerleader. Maybe old timer and a few others.

42 minutes ago, vergilsparda said:

Not sure if this has been discussed before but* I recently caught up to (mostly) every reply in this thread and was wondering something that I don't think has been answered clearly (or, 100% it has, and I can't read—very much the reality here lol). 

I know that a later alpha, either 20 or beyond, will feature an overhaul to the outfit system; dropping from 10 slots to 4, and a "whole" suit giving one or multiple perks. When the question was asked previously—I may have read it wrong,—it was said there is no perk provided if you didn't have a full set of armor. I have also read, I am 60%ish certain, that you possibly won't find all four pieces of armor in one go, and instead find either a book to make said armor, or one or two pieces at a time depending on other perks and factors. Is it alright if someone can explain a little more plainly or in-depth of what that means? 

My questions boil down to this, basically, and again I'm sorry if I've explained this badly:

• If I were to wear pieces from multiple different sets of armor (think helmet from one set, legs from another, etc)—is each piece going to give a miniscule bonus, and the total of all four pieces gives you the full bonus, or is it no extra bonuses at all? 
  • Does the previous question also affect a set's armor rating; as in, if I were to wear only one or two pieces from the same set of armor, would I not get an armor rating, or will it work like it currently does where each piece gives a certain armor rating?
    • In a similar vein, will there be an extra armor rating bonus for wearing all four pieces of the same set?
  • And, if it is and or none of those, does it work more like the current system, or a system in which if you have anything less than a full set, you don't get anything at all? 

Again, sorry if this was roundabout, I'm terrible at explaining things and my thought processes are very jumbled a lot of the time! x

Not A20. We have a new programmer who is working on it. Should be A21.

The details are probably in a document, but I don't know them. That could all change anyway, so I would not count on anything.

6 hours ago, zztong said:

I've puzzled through my own POIs and largely concluded trimming or padding them to hit the standard sizes is best and quite doable, specially when we get to offload things like large parking lots to the Tiles. Wilderness POIs are cool at whatever size.

The "tough decision" folks face are POIs in the 110x110 to 150x150 range, as there are no TFP Tiles with a POI Marker that can hold them and they might not be able to trim. A Custom Tile will work, but since there isn't a standard size up that large, the POIs will probably get placed in the manner of being justified to the front and then centered, which Richard described. It would be handy to for the community to come together and say XL = 140x140. Then make Tiles to support that size. It may be that only 140x140 fits on "cap" tiles where you only have one road interface to support.

For those with POIs larger than that where placement within a Township is desired, then you're kind of stuck. That's one reason why folks are looking for a way to basically tie two Tiles together and then limit the POI selection for the POI Markers on those Tiles. (If you're gonna lock tiles together, you might as well support 2x2 Tiles ... so that folks get 300x300 blocks and I think that would end it, unless you want something like a long runway for an airport, maybe?)

Custom Districts look like they'll be fun. One challenge I face there is that my custom Tiles could be rotated and will border other Districts. This means if I were to try to standardize a transition between Tiles (like an elevated walkway), it would work great between the Tiles of my District, but just end in mid-air when pointed towards a Tile in another District or the Wilderness. So, all that sort of thinking has to remain within a Tile, not between Tiles, unless Parts became smart enough to make selections based on (1) if the Part touched the edge of the Tile and (2) the neighboring Tile was not of the same District.

These aren't complaints. I've just been having fun thinking about things and trying to predict the future.

Also something to keep in mind is builders will be able to pack more into smaller spaces because of all of the new shapes.  

All of the new/updated POIs, especially those in the downtown area will be good examples on how to use them.

I wouldn't be surprised if most builders are able to reduce their POI footprints by at least 25% using them.  Food for thought. 😃

4 hours ago, vergilsparda said:

Alright. Madmole explained this in a dev stream back in 2020 so I can explain it to you as per the original design (the basic idea won't change, but the effects might be different in the final version):

1- A set is 4 pieces: Head, body, arms and legs . 

2-There are 2 things you need to think about separately: individual piece buffs and full set buffs.

-Individual piece buffs example:

Farmer Outfit:

Body armour individual bonus: 

QUALITY 1 (grey): adds 10% chance to harvest an extra crop.

QUALITY 2 (orange): adds 20% chance to harvest an extra crop.

QUALITY 3 (yellow): adds 30% chance to harvest an extra crop.

QUALITY 4 (green): adds 40% chance to harvest an extra crop.

QUALITY 5 (blue): adds 50% chance to harvest an extra crop.

QUALITY 6 (purple): adds 100% chance to harvest an extra crop.

Hat/headset individual bonus:

Adds a 10% chance to find a seed in loot. Also, adds a 10% to harvest a seed when harvesting.

Don't know the details of the quality level for the hat, it might be something in the lines of 1%/2%/3%/4%/5%/10% depending on quality level.

Boots:

Decrease stamina use when sprinting in grass by 10%. It might also be quality-affected.

Gloves:

Increase Rifle damage by 10%. It might also be quality-affected.

Then, there is the Full Set Bonus:

Carrying food items never encumber you. Increase armour rating by 10. Not based on quality. You will get the full set bonus when every piece is from the same outfit, period.

If you use THE FULL SET of the farmer outfit, you get the full bonus of the farmer outfit, if you use 1 piece from any other set, you won't get the full set bonus, but you get the individual buff of that different piece of armour plus one from each and everyone left in your body from the farmer outfit or any other outfit, obviously.

You will never get the full set bonus if you use different kinds of pieces. It MUST be the same set, because the bonus is pretty hefty for any one of them.

4 minutes ago, palikkamaa said:

Honestly, after seeing these RWG changes, Im more excited to play vanilla rwg over Nitrogen maps for the first time in years. (Sorry for the possible duplicate posts)

To be honest I've never used Nitrogen maps. They sound polluting and unhealthy. 

4 hours ago, palikkamaa said:

Honestly, after seeing these RWG changes, Im more excited to play vanilla rwg over Nitrogen maps for the first time in years. (Sorry for the possible duplicate posts)

I'll probably use RWG for the first few play throughs and then (presuming it gets updated to work with the new tile system) use KingGen after that to add CompoPack stuff. Especially for Darkness Falls so I don't have to deal with Khaine's sadistic bumpy terrain

6 hours ago, Blake_ said:

Alright. Madmole explained this in a dev stream back in 2020 so I can explain it to you as per the original design (the basic idea won't change, but the effects might be different in the final version):

1- A set is 4 pieces: Head, body, arms and legs . 

2-There are 2 things you need to think about separately: individual piece buffs and full set buffs.

-Individual piece buffs example:

Farmer Outfit:

Body armour individual bonus: 

QUALITY 1 (grey): adds 10% chance to harvest an extra crop.

QUALITY 2 (orange): adds 20% chance to harvest an extra crop.

QUALITY 3 (yellow): adds 30% chance to harvest an extra crop.

QUALITY 4 (green): adds 40% chance to harvest an extra crop.

QUALITY 5 (blue): adds 50% chance to harvest an extra crop.

QUALITY 6 (purple): adds 100% chance to harvest an extra crop.

Hat/headset individual bonus:

Adds a 10% chance to find a seed in loot. Also, adds a 10% to harvest a seed when harvesting.

Don't know the details of the quality level for the hat, it might be something in the lines of 1%/2%/3%/4%/5%/10% depending on quality level.

Boots:

Decrease stamina use when sprinting in grass by 10%. It might also be quality-affected.

Gloves:

Increase Rifle damage by 10%. It might also be quality-affected.

Then, there is the Full Set Bonus:

Carrying food items never encumber you. Increase armour rating by 10. Not based on quality. You will get the full set bonus when every piece is from the same outfit, period.

If you use THE FULL SET of the farmer outfit, you get the full bonus of the farmer outfit, if you use 1 piece from any other set, you won't get the full set bonus, but you get the individual buff of that different piece of armour plus one from each and everyone left in your body from the farmer outfit or any other outfit, obviously.

You will never get the full set bonus if you use different kinds of pieces. It MUST be the same set, because the bonus is pretty hefty for any one of them.

Excellent summary. To answer another question by the OP: I don't know if it was shown in Madmoles discussion of the original design, but I would assume that the individual items would have armor values similar to the armor now.

* Because they are supposed to be clothing/armor

* Because of balance in early game (it is not guaranteed that you find complete sets, but you need armor even in early game)

* Because armor 10 for a complete armor set would be very weak so it is surely just a bonus to armor, not the complete armor value.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

On 10/14/2021 at 6:29 AM, Blake_ said:

Btw, they showed a Newstand POI in the dev stream. It was just the very stand and had no magazines at all as it was totally ransacked, but it looked like it was your "platonic" small POI anyway.

omg i must see this

On 10/14/2021 at 6:25 AM, Khalagar said:

Dude you wouldn't believe how many people unironically act like that. You'll be in the deepest turbo nerd obscure hobby, and mention anime and you'll still have people start screeching about anime being too much.

I'd say trying to coax some of the Vtubers into playing would be a solid move for TFP because the viewer base is ultra dedicated and will watch them play literally anything and then go buy it, and several of the members are already interested in the game so a chance to stream A20 before it releases would probably be cool with them as long  as they were told far enough in advance to  fit their schedule.

From what I remember from A19, most of the streams were around 600-1800 viewers max, so getting someone like Pekora who averages like 25,000+ live viewers would be pretty huge imo

Well this is logical because people are tired with anime. This same problem is with furry. ok few arts okay but if  there is spam of this people are  annoyed.

And in my opinion this type of people should be not a target. 

Why? because people like that prefer diffrent types of games.

So i suggest better option is to focuse on people who like lore and theories because : 1. they will buy next game for sure to learn what is going on. 2. you can make even more edge stories and they will like it . 3 you can easy keep "hype" - like fnaf. 

image.thumb.png.a4fb42755b4cb5b3053c2c042cc3e15f.png

OMG! THIS NEWSSTAND IS SO GOOD AND IN POLISH STYLE ( SEE RUCH KIOSK IN GOOGLE IF YOU WANT)

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

IDK WHO MAKE THIS BUT THX SO MUCH ! OMG OMG OMG OMG

DAMMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

DO YOU GUYS UNDERSTAND THIS!!!!

@Roland @meganoth @Blake_ @Morloc   i'm so happy guys! omg

BTW TO DEVS! : CAN ANYONE SAY WHO MAKE THIS BECAUSE I WANT TO SAY THANKS TO THIS PERSON???

I'M IN PARADISE

JUST ADD SKELETON TOO AND IT will be perfect! 

In A20, can a modlet's Prefabs folder have folders within it? That is, will RWG search the Prefabs folder in depth, or just the top level?

EDIT: I guess I could try it in A19 first. I've not had a reason to need it before and don't remember there being subfolders in the vanilla Prefabs folder.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)