Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

5 hours ago, faatal said:

The sky is basically the same as a19. You can often see the sun. Probably just the weather combination at that time.

Not really a weather problem as it looks awesome, but the actual font color didn't keep up. It might need a sharper dark border, idk. It happened quite a bit.

1 hour ago, wicketness said:

I have a feeling December is gonna be added.

I wonder how far back that post is that describes SOON lmao.

So what? It's not like they're delaying the release just to @%$# you off, you know?

There are still bugs to be squashed (MFs) and last minute balancing to be done maybe.

4 hours ago, wicketness said:

RELEASE TARGET: October/November

Here we go. This is what SOON actually means.

I maybe right and we will have a Xmas release.

What can we say? There was a delay at the Pretzel factory...

4 hours ago, wicketness said:

RELEASE TARGET: October/November

Here we go. This is what SOON actually means.

I maybe right and we will have a Xmas release.

Lol, then I won't tell you that based on past statistics (a18 and a19) from bugs coming from many teams and of various difficulties to fix in a 35 dev sized team, the ratio of bug fixing is around 12-18 bugs a week, taking into account those bugs that you fix and add 5 more (there's around a 10% chance of that, which is calculated, hence the 6-bug error margin  //popped up bugs are usually easier to fix but time consuming//  ). 

So yes, Streamer Weekend will be 17-19 December 2021. This calculation doesn't add the human factor, the procastination armor effect, which increases a routine-based dev's performance up to 50% the closer the target date is approaching, which might result in a 10-12 December streamer weekend. That is unlikely to happen as most of them are veterans and don't give a vulture's butt about that due to their awesome working environment. :D :D :D 

So December 23 it is for us give it or take 1 week.

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)

Finished a wish list item today. Early tester feedback seems good. More zeds in towns. ;)

Added biome spawning supports disabling spawn types using POI tags in an area.

Added commercial, industrial and downtown biome spawning types (more and faster respawning zombies).

9 minutes ago, faatal said:

Finished a wish list item today. Early tester feedback seems good. More zeds in towns. ;)

Added commercial, industrial and downtown biome spawning types (more and faster respawning zombies).

YES. Thank you. What about horde night to 86 limit? Lately it can hold it pretty well.

9 hours ago, faatal said:

You really can't disappoint huh? That's so amazing, can't wait for those city wanderers.

22 hours ago, TheGutterKIng said:

Got two questions for the devs, I apologize if they have been asked but I could not find any information on it.

-Will screamers be able to detect the player at bedrock now? I can run 10 forges, multiple campfires and chem stations with no screamers spawning, or mine at bedrock with the auger without them spawning, even with block damage turned up to x3. Mining 10-20 blocks above bedrock still spawns them as normal it seems, but just not right at bedrock.

-Will demolishers ever be added into POIs late game or just late game blood moon hordes?

Screamers work the same.

No changes for demos planned.

21 hours ago, Spuder said:

@faatal Is there going to be something displayed on the HUD when going into the different Biomes that show the modifier, Or will this be all hidden and behind the scenes so to speak?

It was talked about, but not yet.

11 hours ago, Blake_ said:

So December 23 it is for us give it or take 1 week.

Don't forget the holidays tend to act as a limiter to worker availability and productivity. The gap between (US) Thanksgiving and New Years is a cruddy time for projects in certain industries. Among knowledge workers, coordination with co-workers who are on vacation, family demands, seasonal depression, and more are all factors. Conversely, the holidays can be a great time to turn a pack of self-motivated (and vacationing) players loose on testing, assuming there's no major issue that makes a game unplayable.

12 hours ago, faatal said:

NICEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!  MORE ZOMBIES MORE FUN UwU. Another good news!

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

1 minute ago, Matt115 said:

NICEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!  MORE ZOMBIES MORE FUN UwU. Another good news!

the bad news is... there is a cost... a zombie now spawns where  the newsstand used to be. well there is your chance to make a skeleton... go kill him :)

Spoiler

joking of course

3 minutes ago, unholyjoe said:

the bad news is... there is a cost... a zombie now spawns where  the newsstand used to be. well there is your chance to make a skeleton... go kill him :)

Hide contents

joking of course

Damn you have me idea- make system similar to the forest- you can take body of zombie use acid and create skeletons! and you can put skeleton on pike , hang skeleton on tree put skeleton on chair in newsstand!! this ssssoundsssssssoo goood uwu ! Well it would be perfect as part of hallowen updated! 

On 10/21/2021 at 2:07 AM, Dares said:

I have a question, saw on the stream that the dog had the old look. Will the new model be included in the experimental/public at the start?

The dog and some of the other zombie overhauls will arrive as they are completed in the 20.x updates. 

2 hours ago, zztong said:

Don't forget the holidays tend to act as a limiter to worker availability and productivity. The gap between (US) Thanksgiving and New Years is a cruddy time for projects in certain industries. Among knowledge workers, coordination with co-workers who are on vacation, family demands, seasonal depression, and more are all factors. Conversely, the holidays can be a great time to turn a pack of self-motivated (and vacationing) players loose on testing, assuming there's no major issue that makes a game unplayable.

Lol, that is actually true, but they won't let it get past Christmas, even if it means that we get a few MF bugs for early experimental.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@faatal , what does "Added biome spawning supports disabling spawn types using POI tags in an area." mean? 

I understand it like: You added code for allowing POI designers to place a POI and disable spawns in that particular POI area using the colored box system if they so choose ?

37 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

@faatal , what does "Added biome spawning supports disabling spawn types using POI tags in an area." mean? 

I understand it like: You added code for allowing POI designers to place a POI and disable spawns in that particular POI area using the colored box system if they so choose ?

Nope. It allows biome entries in spawning.xml to be disabled based on the POI tags in each biome spawning area (80m x 80m) of the world. The designers are already using these tags for RWG.

Now I can do things like this in a biome where this spawn type is only enabled if commercial or industrial, but not downtown.

<spawn maxcount="4" respawndelay="0.3" time="Day" entitygroup="ZombiesAll" tags="commercial,industrial" notags="downtown" />

45 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

Lol, that is actually true, but they won't let it get past Christmas, even if it means that we get a few MF bugs for early experimental.

Every experimental has some MF bugs left. Lower priority MFs can be done throughout the experimental period. There are usually still some MFs when we go stable.

1 hour ago, faatal said:

Now I can do things like this in a biome where this spawn type is only enabled if commercial or industrial, but not downtown.

<spawn maxcount="4" respawndelay="0.3" time="Day" entitygroup="ZombiesAll" tags="commercial,industrial" notags="downtown" />

So a use case would be, say I only wanted dogs in a wasteland city, I could set them up as a biome spawner using the tags so they don't spawn in the wilds, but do in cities?

That's kinda cool.