Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

On 10/9/2021 at 11:42 PM, Blake_ said:

Unfortunately first person needs polished driving animations an clipping testing.  A limited first person would be odd and overall a bit bad. No more than 3 weeks to get it done with 1 animator that actually has the time.There's always shamway up the road in a21 if you don't mind stealing some mates for the task. 

If I get to it means period. I'm not talking about any alpha is particular.

It does not animate. It is hand IK on a steering wheel and actually I may not even show your hands or the steering wheel.

Needs are subjective. What you consider adequate may not be what we decide. In the end if someone does not like how first person or third person works, they can just not use it. Now if they don't like either, I guess they have a problem. ;)

On 10/10/2021 at 9:07 AM, Guppycur said:

What he's doing is likely binding the mouse wheel to the CameraDistance property and increasing those differences; the steering already turns and hands are already on the wheel so there's nothing to animate.

Like right now, the CameraDistance for the gyro is 6,8 meaning the camera goes between 6 to 8 blocks away from a spot, so he's probably changing that to like 1,8 and binding the mouse wheel to that range.

/guppy guessing since 1971

Close. I actually added a distance scale variable that changes with mouse wheel. That then scales the vehicle's current distance, which allows the vehicle to still zoom in/out with speed like it does.

Edited by faatal (see edit history)

I asked last stream and never got an answer. Maybe it wasn't relevant am not sure.

I was wondering if being able to plant birch trees would ever be possible to be added. The region I live in they are abundant and I would love to be able to plant birch around my base.

It seems we can pretty much plant everything other tree that grows but not the birch.

2 hours ago, faatal said:

If I get to it means period. I'm not talking about any alpha is particular.

It does not animate. It is hand IK on a steering wheel and actually I may not even show your hands or the steering wheel.

Needs are subjective. What you consider adequate may not be what we decide. In the end if someone does not like how first person or third person works, they can just not use it. Now if they don't like either, I guess they have a problem. ;)

Close. I actually added a distance scale variable that changes with mouse wheel. That then scales the vehicle's current distance, which allows the vehicle to still zoom in/out with speed like it does.

Nice ! Thank you for the insights and explanations. I would regard an IK as an Animation though, regardless of if it is the result of code or a hand made snap. It's what "Kinematic" stands for anyway. At the end of the day what really matters is:

Spoiler

5q2cdt.jpg

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Gamida said:

I asked last stream and never got an answer. Maybe it wasn't relevant am not sure.

I was wondering if being able to plant birch trees would ever be possible to be added. The region I live in they are abundant and I would love to be able to plant birch around my base.

It seems we can pretty much plant everything other tree that grows but not the birch.

It is possible, but I don't know. You asked a design question to programmers. We typically know the designs of the systems we are working on, but as far as extra content outside the scope of what we do, we would only know if someone mentioned it to us. Additional content to an existing and working system tends to fall into the polish category of if someone has time and desire, then maybe there will be more of whatever.

6 minutes ago, faatal said:

It is possible, but I don't know. You asked a design question to programmers. We typically know the designs of the systems we are working on, but as far as extra content outside the scope of what we do, we would only know if someone mentioned it to us. Additional content to an existing and working system tends to fall into the polish category of if someone has time and desire, then maybe there will be more of whatever.

Thank you

8 hours ago, Chris Dunaway said:

Does this mean that mods won't need to use tools like Harmony or BepinEx anymore?  Do you know if there is a page that gives more detail about this?

It means you won't need dmt to compile them anymore; nothing else appears to be changing. 

14 hours ago, Survager said:

Hi @madmole, @faatal

On the fifth stream, there was talk about the damage that the transport inflicts on zombies and the developers said that they did not want the transport to inflict a lot of damage on zombies, as this would make it a universal weapon. It was also said that vehicles could only do a lot of damage to filler zombies, which, with some degree of probability, could appear in the game in the future.

Why don't you consider the option of vehicle breakdown from colliding with zombies depending on the type of zombie? So a motorcycle, for example, could inflict damage equal to 100% of health to ordinary zombies, but at the same time, the transport would receive 15% damage, and when colliding with mini-bosses like a zombie cop or demolisher - 30%. In addition, wild zombies could receive 75% health damage, and radioactive zombies only 50%.

In this case, it would also be possible to add modifications to the vehicle in the game that would increase its damage and durability.

I would be grateful if you point out to me the errors in my reasoning 🙂

I'd consider it, but not like that. That makes me want to hit nothing, since my vehicle would be quickly trashed.

There could be mods for that, but not in A20.

9 hours ago, MajorMunchy said:

Second, @faatal On the subject of voice changing, is it possible to have the voice/audio change when a certain mod is equipped? like say....when you equip it with the teddy bear head it changes to whinny the pooh, wouldn't that be a simple AND gate coding? aka if the drone speaks AND it is equipped with X mod, replace file A with file B? (not sure if DC circuitry and coding can correlate haha)(Also i've never modded 7 days so no clue what goes into that/this)

It is possible if we wanted to spend the time on it.

15 hours ago, Stroichik said:

@Survager

Well, currently a 4x4 truck cant drive through a flock of Z vultures, which by itself is already a nonsense. I wouldn't mind fighting blood moon hordes if horde was limited in amount of zombies. But its unlimited, so i prefer just borrowing deep underground. Currently its a waste of bullets trying to fight off BM horde.

Wut? They aren't infinite, there's a setting when you launch the game to set how many zombies per player on bloodmoons. Change that if you find it too hard, I think default is pretty low, and it only spawns a few waves of however many you set the spawner too

Bloodmoon is the best source of exp in the game, it's hardly a waste of resources lol. You can make AFK bases just using junksledges and stairs, but the simplest and easiest by far is to just make a big pillar and throw pipe bombs or molotovs down on them.

Make a 7x7 box that's 5-10 blocks tall, make some wooden bars and use them as flooring and have some over hanging on the sides as walkways, leave spots or use hatches so you can drop explosives down to horde, profit

Even on the higher difficulties with like 16+ zombies per player, you can wipe a horde pretty easily and cheaply with the above concrete explosive box, and pipe bombs are dirt cheap to craft and you don't have to waste point investement on the perks  since they are OP AF by default

You'll get several levels (and more building and repairing your death box) and will clear the horde within an hour or two of it spawning. It takes like 10 minutes IRL time to mine a near infinite supply of mats for pipe bombs

• Roland unpinned this topic
  • Roland locked this topic