Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

3 hours ago, faatal said:

Worked on vehicle camera and stutter bugs and decided to add this:

Added vehicle camera zoom in/out. Uses mouse wheel or controller d-pad up/down (30% to 120%).

First person driving, if I get to it, would be an extension of zooming in. 30% is close, but not the same.

Okay.

This is cool as hell.

Looking forward to messing with that.

There was something mentioned regarding modding in the recent dev stream about "client mod (or mods)".  Can you elaborate more on what that is?  Are there some notes somewhere that goes into more detail?

I ran across this post, but am unclear on how this affects modding. 

Edited by Chris Dunaway (see edit history)

38 minutes ago, Chris Dunaway said:

There was something mentioned regarding modding in the recent dev stream about "client mod (or mods)".  Can you elaborate more on what that is?  Are there some notes somewhere that goes into more detail?

I ran across this post, but am unclear on how this affects modding. 

Guppy dummy version:

So currently in order to use c# mods you have to modify the game dll to allow the dll to read the modded dll (code) files.

A20 will allow these mods to just "work" without first having to compile the mod against the game. 

That's what K is referring to. 

Dear programmers, I don't care if my nomenclature is incorrect, thanks. :)

Edited by Guppycur (see edit history)

On 10/9/2021 at 1:48 AM, faatal said:

First person driving, if I get to it, would be an extension of zooming in. 30% is close, but not the same.

Unfortunately first person needs polished driving animations an clipping testing.  A limited first person would be odd and overall a bit bad. No more than 3 weeks to get it done with 1 animator that actually has the time.There's always shamway up the road in a21 if you don't mind stealing some mates for the task. 

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)

What he's doing is likely binding the mouse wheel to the CameraDistance property and increasing those differences; the steering already turns and hands are already on the wheel so there's nothing to animate.

Like right now, the CameraDistance for the gyro is 6,8 meaning the camera goes between 6 to 8 blocks away from a spot, so he's probably changing that to like 1,8 and binding the mouse wheel to that range.

/guppy guessing since 1971

19 minutes ago, Guppycur said:

What he's doing is likely binding the mouse wheel to the CameraDistance property and increasing those differences; the steering already turns and hands are already on the wheel so there's nothing to animate.

Like right now, the CameraDistance for the gyro is 6,8 meaning the camera goes between 6 to 8 blocks away from a spot, so he's probably changing that to like 1,8 and binding the mouse wheel to that range.

/guppy guessing since 1971

Yes, while basic animation is in, Idk if it's first person-ship-worthy as it was designed to be a misc movement like chopping wood in Skyrim and might cause clipping with some car elements, like window borders or roof/rear at value 0 or 0 ish.

The rest sounds correct, as long as nothing did change from a19 code-wise in that regard.

A question. From what i`ve read the Skyscrapers can only occupy certain areas in a city and they compete for those spots with other POIs, thus i almost never have any single skyscraper in any of my RWG maps made by game.

Will that be fixed somehow and skyscrapers will spawn more often on RWG maps in A20?

56 minutes ago, Stroichik said:

A question. From what i`ve read the Skyscrapers can only occupy certain areas in a city and they compete for those spots with other POIs, thus i almost never have any single skyscraper in any of my RWG maps made by game.

Will that be fixed somehow and skyscrapers will spawn more often on RWG maps in A20?

you’ll most definitely see skyscrapers in A20. If you end up phenomenally unlucky for some reason, there will surely be dozens of seeds posted here within days that will have you covered for a map with skyscrapers. 

1 hour ago, Blake_ said:

Yes, while basic animation is in, Idk if it's first person-ship-worthy as it was designed to be a misc movement like chopping wood in Skyrim and might cause clipping with some car elements, like window borders or roof/rear at value 0 or 0 ish.

The rest sounds correct, as long as nothing did change from a19 code-wise in that regard.

Right now when you enter a vehicle you go into 3rd person mode and your hands get attached to a wheel that spins as you turn.  Nothing fancy, not AAA but a very good start.  

He *could* just clamp the zoom in all the way to right /before/ the camera enters the vehicle, then it flips into a static camera inside that doesn't even show your hands.  We shall see. 

I want to see utility weapons in 7 days to die. Weapons that are more for a tactical approach.                                                                                                  I've been watching videos about Immersive Sims like Deus Ex and I think that type of gameplay can be brought to 7dtd.

Here are some ideas that I had rattling in my head. 

Caltrops temporary spike traps that you throw down. hurts and slows enemies  
Grappling Hook  
Riot Pepper Spay   
Smoke/ Poison Bomb Slingshot  
Sticky Mine Grenade Launcher like in TF2  
Stake Electric Tether making a line of electricity across the 2 stakes that you shoot out.  

some you can use in horde scenarios too.

Hi @madmole, @faatal

On the fifth stream, there was talk about the damage that the transport inflicts on zombies and the developers said that they did not want the transport to inflict a lot of damage on zombies, as this would make it a universal weapon. It was also said that vehicles could only do a lot of damage to filler zombies, which, with some degree of probability, could appear in the game in the future.

Why don't you consider the option of vehicle breakdown from colliding with zombies depending on the type of zombie? So a motorcycle, for example, could inflict damage equal to 100% of health to ordinary zombies, but at the same time, the transport would receive 15% damage, and when colliding with mini-bosses like a zombie cop or demolisher - 30%. In addition, wild zombies could receive 75% health damage, and radioactive zombies only 50%.

In this case, it would also be possible to add modifications to the vehicle in the game that would increase its damage and durability.

I would be grateful if you point out to me the errors in my reasoning 🙂

@Survager

Well, currently a 4x4 truck cant drive through a flock of Z vultures, which by itself is already a nonsense. I wouldn't mind fighting blood moon hordes if horde was limited in amount of zombies. But its unlimited, so i prefer just borrowing deep underground. Currently its a waste of bullets trying to fight off BM horde.

23 minutes ago, Stroichik said:

@Survager

Well, currently a 4x4 truck cant drive through a flock of Z vultures, which by itself is already a nonsense. I wouldn't mind fighting blood moon hordes if horde was limited in amount of zombies. But its unlimited, so i prefer just borrowing deep underground. Currently its a waste of bullets trying to fight off BM horde.

If you don't want to fight the BM then disable it. fighting BM is the whole point of this game^^ Also it's pretty easy even without cheesing bases. Just use some traps and a well done design and they won't even dmg any blocks beside blades :D

I would just Love it when the vehicles can run over anything even in BM but then it should do a great amount of dmg to the vehicle. I am totally looking forward to the dmg update for vehicles. Are there any new infos for it? getting a flat tire or the battery dies.

Edited by Diragor (see edit history)

34 minutes ago, Stroichik said:

@Survager

In fact, the hordes are not endless )

On 10/9/2021 at 8:39 PM, Guppycur said:

Guppy dummy version:

So currently in order to use c# mods you have to modify the game dll to allow the dll to read the modded dll (code) files.

A20 will allow these mods to just "work" without first having to compile the mod against the game. 

Does this mean that mods won't need to use tools like Harmony or BepinEx anymore?  Do you know if there is a page that gives more detail about this?

Second, @faatal On the subject of voice changing, is it possible to have the voice/audio change when a certain mod is equipped? like say....when you equip it with the teddy bear head it changes to whinny the pooh, wouldn't that be a simple AND gate coding? aka if the drone speaks AND it is equipped with X mod, replace file A with file B? (not sure if DC circuitry and coding can correlate haha)(Also i've never modded 7 days so no clue what goes into that/this)

Edited by MajorMunchy (see edit history)