Alpha 21 Discussion Overflow

meilodasreh

5 hours ago, JStanleyF said:

I was wondering if there are plans to make zombies less predictable. For example in buildings they sit/sleep in the same spot in every POI, there are few if any random roamers that go into buildings really. I'd like to see roamers inside the POIs in addition to sleepers and randomized amounts of zombies in POIs. Zombies would be neat if they have object point of interests they could interact with. Going into a POI you've been in before would be more interesting if you had no idea where the zombies would be before hand. For example, beat on glass, scratch at doors, pick up a weapon, try to unlock a door, pound on things with realistic sounds, knock over trash cans / partially breaking a door/wall and climbing through.

I had recently wondered if placing a non-sleeper might be possible with a minimum of effort. That is, it would get placed with the rest of a zombie volume but it might wander around a little ways from where it was placed (perhaps ~4 blocks) and might be a little better at perceiving a player.

Different ideas and thoughts about the game

1. Loot filter
For example, I collected a lot of fabric at a military base, dismantling all the tents and now I don’t need it. If I could turn on the loot filter and remove the fabric from there, then when dismantling the cars, the fabric would either not be displayed or not be selected.
This refers to a lot of loot that we do not need at the moment or in general for one reason or another.
Have the developers thought about it or maybe it is in the plans?

2. Resource reserves
After reading certain books, we have the opportunity to stock up on basic resources such as wood, stone, iron and others.
Maybe it makes sense either through a perk or through books to add the ability to stockpile any resources at all?
Questions of realism disappear, because we can carry a car and a ton of concrete in our pocket.
But it's unlikely that the balance will be upset if I can carry 25 bandages in the form of 5 stocks of bandages in one slot. Still, I won't be able to use them until I unpack the stock.
Some stacks in the game seem too small.
On the contrary, other stacks could be reduced, but at the same time given the opportunity to combine them into reserves.

3. Special types of tools and weapons only in loot with a very low drop rate

Examples:

1. Special fire ax with increased attack speed / collection of tree seeds / the ability to cut down a tree with one hit
2. A special shovel, increasing the chance to find precious metals / collect some brass from the ground (some kind of brass garbage)
3. Wrench, allowing with some chance to remove the solar cell from the solar battery
4. Machete, allowing you to collect with an increased chance to chop off zombie heads.
5. Pistol with double shot chance
6. SMG with a chance to pierce armor every X shot
7. Automatic weapons with increased multipliers in the body / limbs

4. Give the drone GLADOS voice ?
He will fly and offer a cake!
Joke. Or not?

5. The transport has too little fuel consumption, and with modifications there are no problems with gasoline at all.

6. Collectibles?

Zombie figurines, merchants, faction symbols?
They are of course made of brass and are expensive :)

7. Traps quality levels

Junk meat grinder
Meat grinder from iron ingots
Meat grinder made of steel ingots
Different damage, durability and required resources

8. New candy tiers, more expensive, with stronger boosts and duration.

9. Bleeding lasts longer, but takes less HP. Forced activation of feral sense during bleeding

Edited by mstdv inc (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Alloy1 said:

Will we finally get at least 1 different, simple model, to represent food items? Holding up a can for canned foods, a sandwich for a sandwich, a raw vegetable?

Whatever that lump of orange-yellow mystery matter is, it doesn't look like food.

I think they should go all out and make every meal look like a lobster tail with a couple lemon slices and a little cup of refined butter.
It sounds ridiculous, but it is unreasonable to have a model for every item and this can be passed off as the character imagining better times.

13 hours ago, mstdv inc said:

1. Loot filter

I guess I know that you mean, but I can't see thats an improvement in qol...now you collect it and then discard stuff you don't want afterwards. Then you decide and filter what you don't want to collect before.

So it's "klick to drop" against "klick to not pick up". Same effort if you ask me.

Some stacks in the game seem too small.
On the contrary, other stacks could be reduced

Yes! This!. I would also like to see some overhaul considering stack sizes.

Some stack sizes really seem to be chosen low without any reason. And even those where I can see why...well let's take the 1st aid stuff as example. Stack size are probably low to prevent spamming that stuff to invulnerability. But that's not the case, because the use animation is so slow, and HP don't raise that fast. And if you are in a situation where you have to put on one bandage after another, you have whole different problems (like your defense position was ruptured or whatever).

Special types of tools and weapons only in loot with a very low drop rate

Those could be called "uniques"...implementation of those was mentioned to be considered since long. 

Collectibles?

Zombie figurines, merchants, faction symbols?

Hello Fallout Vault Boy Statues.

In my humble opinion, that's useless easteregg-kind of stuff. Could be considered when everything else is finished, but wouldn't make the game anyhow better right now.

2 hours ago, meilodasreh said:

I guess I know that you mean, but I can't see thats an improvement in qol...now you collect it and then discard stuff you don't want afterwards. Then you decide and filter what you don't want to collect before.

So it's "klick to drop" against "klick to not pick up". Same effort if you ask me.

After we took all the items from the  lootbox, I need to find, select the cell with the cloth and press D
Instead, if the filter were on, I would just pick up everything except cloth. Saving a second in the moment, saving hours of play on a 1500 hour scale.
This would greatly facilitate the sorting of inventory.
For example, when I dig the ground, I do not need fibers. I have to throw them out every time.
When you search coffee makers, I would exclude the selection of beans, only coffee.
Through the filter, I would exclude the selection of cans, lead, sand, clay and other resources, which are now in small quantities and simply occupy a cell and each time take time to throw them out.
Maybe you do not understand what kind of filter we are talking about.
The first thing that comes to mind is Grim Dawn, where you mark groups of items that will be displayed and picked up by the character.
For example, at later stages, it was possible to exclude the selection of items of tier 0-2 or pick up only 5 and 6 quality.
There are a lot of examples where a loot filter could be needed.

Spoiler

gm167-LootFilter.thumb.jpg.2c7f36b0224eea410e662a12f5384aa1.jpg

Edited by mstdv inc (see edit history)

25 minutes ago, mstdv inc said:

snip

I understand what you're asking for but remember that inventory management is intentionally a very important part of the game. If there were hundreds of items to deal with then I could maybe see the value.

Perhaps instead of hitting take all on every container you open without looking at its contents you could take a moment to parse what's there and only take what you want?

43 minutes ago, jorbascrumps said:

I understand what you're asking for but remember that inventory management is intentionally a very important part of the game. If there were hundreds of items to deal with then I could maybe see the value.

Perhaps instead of hitting take all on every container you open without looking at its contents you could take a moment to parse what's there and only take what you want?

But don't we have a hundred different items in the loot?
It's about saving those seconds, which then become minutes and hours. Simplifying the routine will not affect the balance in any way, but will improve the experience gained from the game.
Yes, now, due to the fact that there is no loot filter, you have to transfer the necessary things separately or also throw them away separately after take all.
On the scale of one or a dozen boxes, there are no problems, on the scale of a thousand, it all turns into a bore.
Especially if vanilla is a platform for modding, then it would be very good to have such a function for global mods, where there are many more types of loot.
The time it takes to sort loot is one of the most boring in this game.
In any case, if you do not need it, you could simply not enable this feature.
And I don't claim to add it here and now, this point was in a post about thoughts and ideas.
"It wouldn't be bad to see someday"
I don't see any strong arguments against adding extra comfort to the game. The only question is how long it will take to develop this feature.

On 4/20/2022 at 12:37 PM, mstdv inc said:

But don't we have a hundred different items in the loot?
It's about saving those seconds, which then become minutes and hours. Simplifying the routine will not affect the balance in any way, but will improve the experience gained from the game.
Yes, now, due to the fact that there is no loot filter, you have to transfer the necessary things separately or also throw them away separately after take all.
On the scale of one or a dozen boxes, there are no problems, on the scale of a thousand, it all turns into a bore.
Especially if vanilla is a platform for modding, then it would be very good to have such a function for global mods, where there are many more types of loot.
The time it takes to sort loot is one of the most boring in this game.
In any case, if you do not need it, you could simply not enable this feature.
And I don't claim to add it here and now, this point was in a post about thoughts and ideas.
"It wouldn't be bad to see someday"
I don't see any strong arguments against adding extra comfort to the game. The only question is how long it will take to develop this feature.

Maybe a QoL feature after gold, but not something I would think the devs would prioritize right now imo.

On 4/21/2022 at 6:27 AM, Beelzebubs Ghost said:

I always thought it looks like a slice of leather 🙄

No why, I always thought "yeah delicious big chunks of candied salmon, would also be my preferred apocalypse meal"

Don't tell me it doesn't look identical.

cs.jpg

On 4/20/2022 at 8:23 PM, mstdv inc said:

Maybe you do not understand what kind of filter we are talking about.

Now I got you, you mean a global filter, not an option what appears in loot boxes.

Ok that makes sense.

Well in 7D2d there's no "loot groups" like common, magic, rare,... as in your example.

So if you want to exclude single items, you suggest a complete list of all lootable stuff (which would be a kilometer long list with hundreds and hundreds of checkboxes),

but I guess it could be done easily with a search function like in the crafting menu.

So why not. I wouldn't use it though, ...I'm that kind of person that needs everything 😃

30 minutes ago, Lostyouthkhat said:

I am still hoping for a friendly npc doggy to go on adventures with. On rainy dark days i sometimes dont feel like going out of my base because it feels so lonely haha

I am patiently waiting for one of the modders to add the dog skin to the drone. :D

7 hours ago, meilodasreh said:

No why, I always thought "yeah delicious big chunks of candied salmon, would also be my preferred apocalypse meal"

Don't tell me it doesn't look identical.

cs.jpg

That is a pretty good approximation actually 😂

6 hours ago, Lostyouthkhat said:

I am still hoping for a friendly npc doggy to go on adventures with. On rainy dark days i sometimes dont feel like going out of my base because it feels so lonely haha

Maybe once bandits are in they can expand on possibilities.

I once suggested quest lines involve unlocking npcs which would populate the traders and have special item benches to craft things we can't. In relation to your question I suppose this could also be extended to both the skills or questline/ reputation buildup with traders in order to fulfil your desire:

To unlock muscle for hire 😏

How cool would it be to be able to quest for a free timed help from the trader or be able to pay dukes in varying amounts for rentable npc's; of your Noah or Duke allignment, to join you for looting and exploration? 🤭

9 minutes ago, Beelzebubs Ghost said:

That is a pretty good approximation actually 😂

Maybe once bandits are in they can expand on possibilities.

I once suggested quest lines involve unlocking npcs which would populate the traders and have special item benches to craft things we can't. In relation to your question I suppose this could also be extended to both the skills or questline/ reputation buildup with traders in order to fulfil your desire:

To unlock muscle for hire 😏

How cool would it be to be able to quest for a free timed help from the trader or be able to pay dukes in varying amounts for rentable npc's; of your Noah or Duke allignment, to join you for looting and exploration? 🤭

as  nothing. Less influence of friendly npc = better game

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)

in what way do you think it ignores gamestage? 

i am 115 game days into this  but the traders still are offering pipe guns and very low level stuff the only tier 5 guns i have were loot. if it wasnt for quests i would still be rocking a tier 6 pipe pistol. to me it feels like the trader inventory is trying very hard to hold me back/slow me down....  not a bad thing as i am still not bored with this playthrough

13 minutes ago, POCKET951 said:

Trader balance? sounds like a positive spin on trader nerfs, which are needed because the trader is imbalanced as heck atm. I think trader prices are fine. The problem imo with the trader is that his current inventory ignores alot of the gamestage progression. I wonder what the new specialization will mean though. 

This  connnected with quest rewards

27 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

This  connnected with quest rewards

what aspect of quest rewards? the dukes and the exp seem fine. the items themselves maybe, or limiting quest per day?

If they are going to balance traders, and they do end up limiting quest per day, then they should have a way outside of being an admin to be able to reroll quest as well

44 minutes ago, WarWren said:

With the wonderful new traders can we have player purchasable vehicles actually appear at said trader if they are available in his stock? It really would add to immersion if instead of putting it in our pockets we could actually drive it away. It would also add to the excitement especially for new players to see that vehicle for sale for real.

Expanding upon this it is my wish to see vehicles appear in the world as repairable entities rather than them being craftable pieces. Only those perked into grease monkey  could build required parts to repair them. 

This is not something for a mod in my opinion but necessary polish to how vehicles work and to add the discovery element to vehicles in the game.

Well.... even now you can buy vehicles - i see few time 4X4 or i bought few times bike

18 minutes ago, POCKET951 said:

what aspect of quest rewards? the dukes and the exp seem fine. the items themselves maybe, or limiting quest per day?

If they are going to balance traders, and they do end up limiting quest per day, then they should have a way outside of being an admin to be able to reroll quest as well

Well items - probably less bullets lesst first aid bandages etc