Alpha 21 Discussion Overflow

meilodasreh

On 4/6/2022 at 12:20 AM, Outlaw_187 said:

The more customization we have the better. 

Never ever reduce equipment slots in a game. I get that the clothing properties would be available in the armor slots....but then your ability to mix and match is constrained.

I thank the zombie gods that this was delayed, and might even fall off a back-burner.

-Arch Necromancer Morloc

12 hours ago, Guppycur said:

Well the issue is what happens when you get to that quest in the chain if you DO have ocd and keep going; it's not pretty.  

Well, I created a 100% snow biome world and did the tutorial quest. When I placed the campfire I got the message that there was NO TRADER. I opened the quest screen and canceled the tutorial quest and the NO TRADER message disappeared from my screen. I still had earned 4 skill points from doing all the tutorial business other than going to the trader and once I looked around a bit I found a Trader Hugh in the nearest city. 

So not really any bad consequences at all other than having to find your first trader yourself without the aid of a gps beacon which should be easy for any veteran.

1 hour ago, Roland said:

Well, I created a 100% snow biome world and did the tutorial quest. When I placed the campfire I got the message that there was NO TRADER. I opened the quest screen and canceled the tutorial quest and the NO TRADER message disappeared from my screen. I still had earned 4 skill points from doing all the tutorial business other than going to the trader and once I looked around a bit I found a Trader Hugh in the nearest city. 

So not really any bad consequences at all other than having to find your first trader yourself without the aid of a gps beacon which should be easy for any veteran.

That's the problem.

First, if you found a trader with the NO TRADER pop up active then it's a bug.

Second, if there are in fact no traders in the whole world because the player chose not to generate any POI, then the quest should vanish once it reaches the point where the player has gained the 4 points and gets directed to a trader. Right now - if I remember correctly- it does not.

If we have to use the menu to cancel it, then it's a workaround for a bug. Akin to telling us that you could just type killall in the dev console if you want to kill a mini horde. Or we could just shut down our computer and play basketball instead, way healthier.

On 4/7/2022 at 12:29 PM, Roland said:

You can already run into that by selecting no towns. I don't think its a big issue especially where the tutorial quest is concerned. Are new players going to remove all the forest on their first playthrough? By time they decide to try out an all desert world they won't really need the tutorial quest any longer. I cancel it as my first action after spawning.

I mean, that's one way of giving yourself a negative handicap by intentionally losing 4 skill points ;)

2 hours ago, Blake_ said:

That's the problem.

Second, if there are in fact no traders in the whole world because the player chose not to generate any POI, then the quest should vanish once it reaches the point where the player has gained the 4 points and gets directed to a trader. Right now - if I remember correctly- it does not.

If we have to use the menu to cancel it, then it's a workaround for a bug. Akin to telling us that you could just type killall in the dev console if you want to kill a mini horde. Or we could just shut down our computer and play basketball instead, way healthier.

Well “we” don’t have to do anything because A21 is still unreleased and WIP. Of course it is bugged along with half a dozen unfinished items not mentioned yet. I’m sure these types of things will get polished up before “we” can share “our” experiences playing alternate worlds “we’ve” tried generating. 

But the workaround I described is pretty simple and perfectly playable. 

On 3/16/2022 at 7:02 PM, Roland said:

Additional Advanced World Generation Options

• Biome Percent Sliders

Finally a way to make bachgaman happy (wasteland slider 100%, other biomes...nope)

New challenge of the day:

day 1 speedrunning naked all day just to escape a zombie bear

reward:

still alive, fatigue, hunger, out of stuff.

4 hours ago, Roland said:

Well “we” don’t have to do anything because A21 is still unreleased and WIP. Of course it is bugged along with half a dozen unfinished items not mentioned yet. I’m sure these types of things will get polished up before “we” can share “our” experiences playing alternate worlds “we’ve” tried generating. 

But the workaround I described is pretty simple and perfectly playable. 

Agreed. Nevertheless I do love me some basketball from time to time, as 7dtd has an impressive court that looks like it haven't been touched since the apocalypse. 

11 hours ago, Roland said:

I made a mod that fixes the "NO TRADER" error for a world with one non-forest biome. 👍

https://www.nexusmods.com/7daystodie/mods/1833

10 hours ago, Blake_ said:

That's the problem.

Sorry, going to nitpick here.

That is not a bug.  If you look at the vanilla xml code, it only looks for traders in the pine forest for that quest.  So the game is running correctly in regards to the trader quest.  It would only be a bug if there was a nearby trader in the pine forest and it could not find it.

If you are running maps with little to no pine forests, then you have to modify the vanilla xml code for that quest for it to find a trader outside of the pine forest biome.

It's a feature that the TFP developers added to the game based on how they think the Find Trader quest should work.  This feature might have to be changed based on personal choices in map generation (and TFP might adjust it in the future also), but it is not a bug.

15 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

That is not a bug.  If you look at the vanilla xml code, it only looks for traders in the pine forest for that quest.  So the game is running correctly in regards to the trader quest.  It would only be a bug if there was a nearby trader in the pine forest and it could not find it.

If you are running maps with little to no pine forests, then you have to modify the vanilla xml code for that quest for it to find a trader outside of the pine forest biome.

It's a feature that the TFP developers added to the game based on how they think the Find Trader quest should work.  This feature might have to be changed based on personal choices in map generation (and TFP might adjust it in the future also), but it is not a bug.

An unfinished feature,  I agree. A minor annoyance for sure, as I'm sure it will be corrected eventually. 

9 hours ago, Outlaw_187 said:

............& What of skeleton prop??!! 

Are we dodging this part of the question Mr. Roland 😜

Oh and the damn skeleton better be symmetrical too....or we demand refunds!!

i think Roland have skeleton.... inside of him!

6 hours ago, Blake_ said:

@faatal, I have a bunch of questions  regarding bandits and npcs in general:

1. Will they be able to jump? 

2. Will they be able to place items, like 1-block barricades for flexible covering or will they just cover and stuff like that?

3. Will they be able to drive vehicles/bikes? (I'm not sure if this one was already asked)

4. Will they have the same pathing functionalities as Zds in the pathing department? ("1-block" and "1 and 1/2-block" pathing)

5. Have you guys talked about dismemberment for npcs? If so, will they have it?

6- Can we see a sexy  brand-new WIP screenshot of bandits in progress?

Thank you very much for reading ! 

3.  I'm almost sure someone ask about that and answer was not

6. Better no. You know last time @SnowDog1942 almost die from.... "happiness" when he saw zombie in dark dress so...  it's better to avoid "sexy" things - better to see some "dark" or "edgy" 🙃

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

No, he won't... he only shares the canine origin of the nickname with that dog, and his videos are in a... let's just say... "different category" than those of bandit. :hand:

You are so wrong my dear friend. I think he love dogs! most people love dogs. Doggy is so cute <pat pat> 🐕

6 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

download (1).jpeg

But not in progress! this one is... well finished!

Just fix water in 21, and I'll be happy.  Or remove water and add Cisterns, water sheds and wells to collect water.  You ain't got a fix for it, remove it for now and add entities to collect water...  y'all remember Toilet water collection ?  :)

On 4/9/2022 at 8:29 AM, Blake_ said:

@faatal, I have a bunch of questions  regarding bandits and npcs in general:

1. Will they be able to jump? 

2. Will they be able to place items, like 1-block barricades for flexible covering or will they just cover and stuff like that?

3. Will they be able to drive vehicles/bikes? (I'm not sure if this one was already asked)

4. Will they have the same pathing functionalities as Zds in the pathing department? ("1-block" and "1 and 1/2-block" pathing)

5. Have you guys talked about dismemberment for npcs? If so, will they have it?

6- Can we see a sexy  brand-new WIP screenshot of bandits in progress?

Thank you very much for reading ! 

i think

1. yes, because zombies can

2. no, because zombies can't

3. no, because zombies can't

4. yes, because zombies can

5. yes, because zombies can

6. yes, because zombies can

bandits are zombies with other models and a ranged attack type

On 4/1/2022 at 12:44 AM, Ripflex said:

Maybe have 4 Bandits being the most to spawn for an encounter and turn off further zombies spawns due to noise or feral sense attraction to avoid heavy performance hits.  Also scripted bandits ambushes instead of sleeper spawns in certain POIs would be interesting.

Scripted enemy encounters get repetitive when you're making multiple visits to a POI in a playthrough.  More importantly for this game, scripted enemy encounters don't mix well with 100% destructible worlds.  I guess it depends on how much scripted stuff you're envisioning, but the dynamic, world-aware behavior needs to be there, and robust enough to kick in at any time.

One feature TFP discussed publicly not long ago is sleeper zombies that roam through a POI, instead of them all being stationary (a feature I insist be called sleepwalkers, because come on :cool2:).  From a technical perspective, that sounds exactly like entities that travel along patrol routes, so if implemented, it sounds perfect for bandits.

On 4/8/2022 at 8:56 AM, BFT2020 said:

I take your point that the behavior is working as intended.  However it's overzealous to say that's not a bug.  It can still be a localization bug, if the game tells the player "NO TRADER" in situations where that's an objectively false statement.  The fix could be what Blake's talking about where the mission resolves itself, or it could be changing the localization to say "No traders meet criteria" or similar.

• Roland unpinned this topic