Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

19 hours ago, Khalagar said:

Can any of the devs comment on what ever happened to the "spawn next to each other when starting a game" thing that was mentioned during the A19 pre-release streams? I can't remember if it was Lathan or Mad Mole who talked about it, but basically the point was that you guys wanted to make it easier for new players to play with a friend and just start a game and not have to do the 3KM death sprint to find each other.

Can I also ask, can you guys look into quality of life improvements for the Party system? Every time somebody crashes (potato PC) they need invites again, as well as sharing quests. I think it'd be great if they remembered party affiliation and we could pick an "Autoshare Quests With Party" option.

Can we pls get an option to change running speed for ferals and rads separately for day and night? The option “running speed for Zombies at night” counts only for normal Zombies but not for ferals and rads. If you set ferals speed to walk, they will walk at day and night.

Right now we cant even change this in xml files.

@faatal the day lenght is cool and all, yet we are missing fractions on the top of the spectrum. Meaning for less than default we get 10min, 20min, 30, 40 AND 50 minute days, yet above default we just get 90 and 120 mins. 

So we can't get a huge day and a huge night with that option alone and have to tweak the other two options (daylight lenght and horde frequency), BUT horde frequency doesn't make the day longer and daylight lenght can only make it smaller and the night has a lenght limit too. Also horde frequency forces you to change the 7 day frequency if you try to compensate the plain day lenght option and in the end you just get more days and not the desired 2 hour night (exaggerated example, but I think the point is mostly clear).

Any chance we get 180, 240 and 480 min day options ?

I gather 240mins will be quite popular for "leasure" plays, and by leasure I mean more day time at the cost of brutal nights and infinite hordes.

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)

I'm curious about the bandits weapon selection when they are added: wil they all use every weapon available or will they have set weapon groups etc. Group a uses tier 1 guns ak, pistol, hunting knife, and all tier 1 weapons and group b for example could use higher tier like tac rifles pump shotguns and sledgehammers

10 hours ago, Blake_ said:

@faatal the day lenght is cool and all, yet we are missing fractions on the top of the spectrum. Meaning for less than default we get 10min, 20min, 30, 40 AND 50 minute days, yet above default we just get 90 and 120 mins. 

So we can't get a huge day and a huge night with that option alone and have to tweak the other two options (daylight lenght and horde frequency), BUT horde frequency doesn't make the day longer and daylight lenght can only make it smaller and the night has a lenght limit too. Also horde frequency forces you to change the 7 day frequency if you try to compensate the plain day lenght option and in the end you just get more days and not the desired 2 hour night (exaggerated example, but I think the point is mostly clear).

I gather 240mins will be quite popular for "leasure" plays, and by leasure I mean more day time at the cost of brutal nights and infinite hordes.

You can change that with using dm mode and setting the day pass to like 1 or 2 but I see what your saying maybe it could be added as a quality of life feature so you dont have to do that continuously every time you relog the game 

Edited by Callum123456789 (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, Callum123456789 said:

I'm curious about the bandits weapon selection when they are added: wil they all use every weapon available or will they have set weapon groups etc. Group a uses tier 1 guns ak, pistol, hunting knife, and all tier 1 weapons and group b for example could use higher tier like tac rifles pump shotguns and sledgehammers

It'll probably be the same as it is now. There haven't even been any mentions of perks changing in Alpha 20.

@madmole since art is your forte, I will ask you this. I am colorblind, I have an incredibly hard time differentiating between desert stone, and desert sand. would you be willing to adjust the desert stone texture so that it can be told apart easier? cave ins from mistaking sand and sandstone are annoying as all hell.

I am sure that people who don't have my problem are still having a hard time telling the 2 apart as well. I have heard a few complain while on servers.

Edited by wolfbain5 (see edit history)

14 hours ago, Blake_ said:

I think many of the settings could use more choices, so I could see more being added, but possibly after a20.

31 minutes ago, faatal said:

I think many of the settings could use more choices, so I could see more being added, but possibly after a20.

I don't use air drops but some extra choices for those wouldn't go amiss. After all these alphas the four standard choices are "None", "Every Day, "Every 3 Days", and "Every 7 Days". Would be nice if there was a range option added similar to Blood Moon Range.

One step at a time though. :) Still got quite a while before A20 hits EXP.

On 2/3/2021 at 1:13 PM, Callum123456789 said:

How their weapons will work has not be determined.

On 2/2/2021 at 5:52 AM, faatal said:

I have several months of work left for A20 exp, so it is not soon.

Our lives are not long enough for games anymore , back at the old days you knew nothing and boom a game comes out .

Now you get informed every single day that the thing that you will enjoy at the future . . . . . . you maybe dead until then 😛

On 1/31/2021 at 1:06 PM, Adam the Waster said:

Any one smell BBQ again?Image

Yes! I like how dry - how parched he looks.  Dude is a walking beef brisket.  Now, let's look at that dog again.

Ern4I1rW4AoEbAn?format=jpg&name=medium

You see what I was saying earlier?  The burnt human is very matte.  Its skin has no specular map, or if there is one, it's set to be very diffuse.  And it looks great that way.  Wouldn't change a thing, except as mentioned the orange eyes may make it confusing whether it's feral or not.  But the dog has much tighter specular highlights.  Are we looking at black fur, black skin, burnt skin, or what?  It doesn't look like any of those.  It's like the artist did the Hollywood trope, where movie monsters are supposed to glisten, and called it a day.  It's not bad, but the burnt human demonstrates how it could be much better.

----------

The new burnt zombie model also affects my gameplay expectations as a player.  Since it no longer looks like a fire elemental, I'd no longer expect it to set the player on fire.  It doesn't look like it's burning - it looks like it's already been burned.  So I'd expect it to be impervious to fire, since there's nothing left to burn.  But getting lit by one of these would feel weird: akin to getting hit by a drowning victim zombie and then struggling to breathe.

I don't think the dog is too bad. I mean the only glistening spots are where either the skin looks fresher and around the mouth where if it had be eating people/squishy zombies then you would expect some shiny stuff to accumulate. The black parts look matte like the guy above.

To me it looks like the burnt dog had just pounced on someone and the poor guy grabbed the dog by the left front leg to escape (almost looks like a hand print) and it's flesh just slipped off like a sock and the dog got its meal. With that in mind I don't think the model looks off, kind of reminds me of the movie "We Were Soldiers" where the one guy got napalmed and his legs became a goopy mess.

9 hours ago, Crater Creator said:

Yes! I like how dry - how parched he looks.  Dude is a walking beef brisket.  Now, let's look at that dog again.

Spoiler

Ern4I1rW4AoEbAn?format=jpg&name=medium

You see what I was saying earlier?  The burnt human is very matte.  Its skin has no specular map, or if there is one, it's set to be very diffuse.  And it looks great that way.  Wouldn't change a thing, except as mentioned the orange eyes may make it confusing whether it's feral or not.  But the dog has much tighter specular highlights.  Are we looking at black fur, black skin, burnt skin, or what?  It doesn't look like any of those.  It's like the artist did the Hollywood trope, where movie monsters are supposed to glisten, and called it a day.  It's not bad, but the burnt human demonstrates how it could be much better.

----------

The new burnt zombie model also affects my gameplay expectations as a player.  Since it no longer looks like a fire elemental, I'd no longer expect it to set the player on fire.  It doesn't look like it's burning - it looks like it's already been burned.  So I'd expect it to be impervious to fire, since there's nothing left to burn.  But getting lit by one of these would feel weird: akin to getting hit by a drowning victim zombie and then struggling to breathe.

They may still add particles to the finished entity or do a special infected that really is on fire, who knows. 

Also, I believe your texture comment to be quite brave and sexy, but we really shouldn't judge yet because they are literally under a different light, so when we experience the entities in game we will see for certain the "feel" that they give off.

May I ask if you have tasted those charred entities, dear sir @Roland ? Are you allowed to tell us about how those two entities"feel" texture-wise while playing  ? (Idk if the puppy is in and working yet though).

Cant wait for the quests changes to come live. I accepted tier 5s as the unlock and I hate not being able to do some of the tier 3 quest locations as they have some pretty nice rewards for the time ratio like books. tier 4s and 5s do not have a large amount of book spawns but 3s and 2s do.

Dear developers, some of my subscribers have asked me to tell you that they would like to see running speed switches for feral and radioactive zombies. They have some vision problems, so when someone moves quickly on the screen (and ferals and radioactive always run), the game turns into a kaleidoscope of colorful spots for them. But they love 7DTD very much. So how do you think, can something like this be expected in the A20? Thanks

For special infected their should be some sort of zombie that when the zombie hits you, you can 10%25% INSTANT not no 1% that builds up over time. Making antibiotics pills a great thing to know in later gamestages (tho i sure you fellas thought of something like that anyway)))))))

On 2/1/2021 at 6:06 AM, Adam the Waster said:

Any one smell BBQ again?Image

Would love if this zombie set things on fire, not only players, but wood frames, farm plots, basically anything made from wood, would make for interesting horde nights if things start catching fire around you, also more of a challenge if it could set vehicles on fire and they exploded.

• Roland unpinned this topic
  • Roland locked this topic