Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

4 hours ago, pregnable said:

The thing says zombies can crawl through 1 meter holes.  Is that all zombies?  Cause I thought the crawlers already can.

That has not been worked on yet. The details of how it will work and what zombies has not been decided.

Crawlers currently path on 2m heights just like all the rest of the AI.

3 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Not to mention it would just be a colossal waste of space.

An airport does not have to be huge. It could be whatever size you wanted to make it. Like a small airport with one to two (parallel) 100m runways.

Edited by faatal (see edit history)

4 hours ago, faatal said:

Crawlers currently path on 2m heights just like all the rest of the AI.

Any word on Spiders being able to climb again, or being able to do anything unique? They are not really a threat at the moment imo beyond their annoying hit box. It'd be cool if they got a ranged web stun attack or something if the wall climb is too much work

7 hours ago, faatal said:

An airport does not have to be huge. It could be whatever size you wanted to make it. Like a small airport with one to two (parallel) 100m runways.

True, but people who are asking for an airport POI are imagining a huge "international airport" with lots of stuff to explore.

That smaller airstrip you mention wouldn't justify any kind of interesting buildings.

Such one would have a small tower connected to a little office, and maybe one or two hangars (literally just big empty square room...hey cool even me could design those 😂).

So a reasonably small "airport" POI would consist of nothing more but plain surface, one or two little buildings, and more plain surface surrounded by 4 walls and 1 roof.

Sounds more like a POANI to me. 

(point of absolutely no interest)

1 hour ago, meilodasreh said:

True, but people who are asking for an airport POI are imagining a huge "international airport" with lots of stuff to explore.

That smaller airstrip you mention wouldn't justify any kind of interesting buildings.

Such one would have a small tower connected to a little office, and maybe one or two hangars (literally just big empty square room...hey cool even me could design those 😂).

So a reasonably small "airport" POI would consist of nothing more but plain surface, one or two little buildings, and more plain surface surrounded by 4 walls and 1 roof.

Sounds more like a POANI to me. 

(point of absolutely no interest)

I can't see the added value of an huge airport honestly. If the game was able to handle hundreds of zombies at the same time then, yes, if would be thrilling to try to take over an airport. But since we have technical limits on that, it would just be a huge waste of POI space IMO.

Areawise Airport cannot go bigger than regular factory we found in game now. It won't load in one chunk, then what is the point of having it, we can make skyscrapper but not wide fields due to how game works. Plus, I don't see a lot of loot in airport, unless we have Cargo airport. I would rather love to see a Warehouse (something like amazon Warehouses around that world) They give lot of loot and Zombie to kill.

Even a small airport would have an Office, lounge, kitchen/snackbar, bathrooms, classroom (for teaching pilots), and a small tower. 3-4 floors.

1 Hangar with several offices.  Firestation (small one)

That's what our local had, plus a few other old bldgs left from WW2. (which is when it was built)

So even a small airport could have a buncha stuff in it. (and if left over from the war(s), you could add bunkers too.

Something like an international airport, .. um.. yeah, potato pcs are gonna barf on that. (would be nice to have though)

:D

oh, if you DO put in an airport, then we would need some small aircraft. They must be able to go BOOM if the zeds bang on'em too much.

(or if someone accidentally hits it with a rocket...)  😛

A20 is really comming along nicely, alltough i wish for more dev-streams and info-bits. But thats just impatient me.

With the Airport: A small one would do, as Fataal stated. It could be the size of the current ingame Football Field.

T4 or T5 place, not a skyscraper for a change and would provide variety :)

7 hours ago, archergod said:

Areawise Airport cannot go bigger than regular factory we found in game now. It won't load in one chunk, then what is the point of having it, we can make skyscrapper but not wide fields due to how game works. Plus, I don't see a lot of loot in airport, unless we have Cargo airport. I would rather love to see a Warehouse (something like amazon Warehouses around that world) They give lot of loot and Zombie to kill.

Good point for warehouses, which really have their place in the game.  👌

POIs are really interesting, I like to see their evolution from one alpha to another.

I spend some of my free time on the prefab editor. It's super cool, so many blocks / props and if you like build, it's quite relaxing. My current project is a hotel: I started a Tier 2 POI and finally it's a big Tier 5.

Anyway, this is an awesome tool !! With new adds at each alpha, it becomes more and more interesting. A big thanks TFP for that. 🤗

Edited by SG1-09 (see edit history)

@faatal good evening/afternoon/ dawn, I have a bunch of millenial questions regarding this and that:

1-Do you have any info on quests ? 

2-What are you  planning to adress/do next in a20 after finishing the current evil tasks that you are slaying at the moment ?

3-Any amazing stuff that you noticed in A20 lately coming from any department that you can share with us?

4-Can you violently force some dev to post new a20 pics of the game in the official page using plastic butter knifes ?  :angel2::surprise:

Thanks beforeknee.

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)

17 hours ago, canadianbluebeer said:

Even a small airport would have an Office, lounge, kitchen/snackbar, bathrooms, classroom (for teaching pilots), and a small tower. 3-4 floors.

1 Hangar with several offices.  Firestation (small one)

We have different definitions of "small" then.

The size you are talking about would fill a whole biome.

Independent from its actual size, every airport/airfield/airstrip is >95% empty flat area (runways, grass,...)

Just look at some aerial pictures, google maps or whatever,

and then scale it into Navezgane.

Most of the airport POI would just look like this:

image.png.87532860e6070fed1b8b6bb5d318de35.png

...sorry minecraft, I couldn't resist that one 😇

On 2/13/2021 at 6:17 AM, faatal said:

The Airport's terminal would be the real interest/threat anyway.

At least a tier 4 POI maybe even a special difficulty POI as the place could be packed with Zombies.

The one I'm talking about is a small airport.  Longest runway is 3500', the other is 2600.

Put the thing in the blowed up lands, and you don't need the runways (they've be blowed up)

Just a bit to show where they were.

For the wartime version, add the H shaped barracks. Gotta have somewhere for the zombie pilots.

:D

The hangar (put 4 barns together, and that's the size you'd need for a bunch of small cessnas),

slap the stripmall business bldgs on the side kinda things (but 1 floor), and the tower is not a big thing,

it's on the corner and well, that's already in game at the top of the shotgun messiah factory.

T4 sounds about right, 

Actually if you wanna go big, make an international airport, but it would be a town in it's own right.

(won't make base game, but as a DLC..... )

Jumbo jets yes, and while I'd like them to go BOOMY, they'd make handy POI in their own right.

@faatal who handles entity classes and tagging? it seems vultures are not hooked up properly. when used to make drop quests, their deaths do not count towards animalkill or zombiekill. This is an anomaly as all other zombies and animals do fall into one or the other. Myself and a few others have tested this repeatedly and it seems that the class wasn't hooked in fully. Will they be brought in line with the rest of the entity classes?

edit: and before anyone complains about this being for modding, do remember that anomalies in code are not considered a good thing and can lead to future bugs.

Edited by wolfbain5 (see edit history)

3 hours ago, wolfbain5 said:

@faatal who handles entity classes and tagging? it seems vultures are not hooked up properly. when used to make drop quests, their deaths do not count towards animalkill or zombiekill. This is an anomaly as all other zombies and animals do fall into one or the other. Myself and a few others have tested this repeatedly and it seems that the class wasn't hooked in fully. Will they be brought in line with the rest of the entity classes?

I found the code. Added as a zombie kill. Thx

On 2/13/2021 at 12:17 AM, MechanicalLens said:

Or a small challenge map. Make do with what you have and survive in the air port, similar to the Dishong Tower and Diersville challenges.

Not gonna lie. I like this idea.

24 minutes ago, faatal said:

I found the code. Added as a zombie kill. Thx

Wait, that was a bug? I noticed that back in A16 and just never said anything because I figured the way it inherited (and thus not working for quests) was intended.... whoops.

10 hours ago, archergod said:

So, my counter of 5000 kill in game is wrong, and it could be 5500 easily with all vulture I ever kill in ths game .. damn. But thanks.

The counter is probably correct, since the AwardKill func was calling AddScoreServer with 1 zombie for a vulture. It was the QuestEventManager that ignored vultures.

22 hours ago, wolfbain5 said:

since a19.4 is in experimental, and this looks like it was a simple fix, you did it so damn fast. is this one that will be back ported or just hold my horses and wait til a20

Exp will have another update, so I just merged it to 19.4.

Edited by faatal (see edit history)

Sweet Video's excited - Major Updates. I Love it, like A new game almost each one. Since Alpha 13 pretty much.

Though I AM an addict on it since The Wasp's in Alpha 2 ~  The Best Fluke Ever, Shot with a nail gun was just the bonus.  Posing Bloody Hornet!

20161127020225_1-e1497575227250.jpg

Getting that with f12 screen right on cue, special! aha

😃As ALWAYS Over the moon with all the effort that's gone into this game continuously since the start! Thank you so so much @madmole and all the TFP FAMILY.

On 1/20/2021 at 8:18 AM, beHypE said:

I'm sorry if this has been asked before as I've been off the forums for a while, how is the new "biome tier system" coming along, and how exactly will it work ? I'm talking about having better loot in tougher biomes / POIs.

It will raise your game stage by a certain amount so you get harder enemies there.

On 1/20/2021 at 3:34 PM, Survager said:

Hi MM.
I have a few questions about special infected.
We already know for sure that special infected will have unique behavior.

Question 1. Will each infected have unique animations for normal activities like walking, running and fighting?
Question 2. Will the special infected have some unique vulnerabilities? For example, the zombie Gasser could take increased damage from fire and shotgun, but would be nearly immune to bullet damage. Or a zombie with a sledgehammer could take increased damage from melee weapons, but other weapons will deal less damage to him than usual, and so on.

There isn't any new special infected coming any time soon.

On 1/22/2021 at 2:04 AM, KingSlayerGM said:

This feature is listed on the first page of this thread, and no work has been done on it?

Sometimes other stuff takes longer and things get pushed back or deleted. I updated the roadmap on a couple topics I don't think will make it.

On 1/31/2021 at 8:35 AM, MechanicalLens said:

I understand that RWG for A20 is probably in very early stages of development, but will a toggleable option be added where the player could spawn in the middle of the wilderness as we used to? Spawning on a road next to a town is great for new players, but I personally enjoy the journey of locating my first town on day 1. I would present the same "argument" if the player was guaranteed to always spawn 10 meters away from a trader.

No because it works, and we are planning a client side interaction with Noah from the White River when you first spawn.

• Roland unpinned this topic
  • Roland locked this topic