Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

16 hours ago, madmole said:

I'm biased, but I think the new pipe weapons and loot/progression will add a ton. Greatly enhanced random gen will be great too, as well as a million other things.

How is the improved shape menu coming along ? Sounds like the most annoying, OCD and time consuming task on the face of the Earth. Gazz is on it for sure lol.

On 12/17/2020 at 7:34 PM, madmole said:

I'd love a full character customization setup like Bethesda has but we're a small team and have to pick our battles or never ship. The head system is expandable and we might get a little face customization in, we'll see yet. After a few hours though everyone has a full helmet on and you never see your face anyway so I don't see the argument.

I would dare to completely disagree. While there are people using those, most of people i know only equip helmet when going to serious fight (or play on PvP server). I am already sad that we won't be able to customize our bodies (did i get it correctly?) and so i won't be able to have flat chested latina with thicc thigs.
I understand why are you remodeling faces, but saying that everyone uses closed helmes and you won't see those faces sounds really generalizing.

Also, i know that i am asking this for multiple alphas already, but i would love a truck for A21, when you finish with A20.
(and by truck i mean actually truck, like the military ones in army base, that will be slow but sturdy with huge space, not pickup, which Americans like to call "trucks")

For TFP people working on RWG right now:

From what has previously been said here, we are going to lose at least one major biome. But, to make up for it, biomes that were previously "major" biomes (like the burnt forest) will become sub-biomes.

My question: how "deep" will the sub-biome differences be?

For example, if the burnt forest sub-biome is going to look like the previous burnt forest "major" biome, the sub-biome would have to have its own block stubstitution rules. (Brown grass for green grass, dead trees for live trees, etc.)

Will it go deeper than that? Examples:

Will there be different zombie spawn groups for sub-biomes?
Will POIs be able to target sub-biomes, not just "major" biomes?
Will there be differences in atmospheric effects?
Will a sub-biome have different weather conditions?

I know this sounds a bit like a "wishlist" question. I'm just interested in what is planned for A20.

16 minutes ago, faatal said:

I am testing Unity 2020.2 currently. Only needed 3 code changes. Seems fine and is supposed to have some performance improvements. Feels a bit faster. 2020.3 (LTS) is supposed to be out soon, so A20 should end up being on that.

That's great news!

What are the highlights of that version that can benefit 7D2D? (I mean, apart from being a bit faster...)

Edited by Jost Amman (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

That's great news!

What are the highlights of that version that can benefit 7D2D? (I mean, apart from being a bit faster...)

My favorite feature so far is the fact I can switch the editor to release mode, which produces optimized assembly code, but I can still run the profiler on it. That means I get the same timings I would get with a full build, which takes my PC about 6 minutes to make, so I don't. I've been spending a lot of time optimizing and cleanup up lately, so a very nice feature.

I just finished this one, which is a big win:

Optimized terrain control textures to not update with every mesh update.

Those peaked at 2ms spikes on my PC, on several frames, when new chunks load, adding to the FPS drop that already happens when building meshes.

15 minutes ago, faatal said:

My favorite feature so far is the fact I can switch the editor to release mode, which produces optimized assembly code, but I can still run the profiler on it. That means I get the same timings I would get with a full build, which takes my PC about 6 minutes to make, so I don't. I've been spending a lot of time optimizing and cleanup up lately, so a very nice feature.

Cool! But don't tell the Boss! That means he'll expect you to do double the stuff in the same amount of time... :whip:

By the way... how is the faatal cloning process proceeding? :grouphug: And most important of all, I'm talking to clone number...? :confused2:

4 hours ago, faatal said:

Those peaked at 2ms spikes on my PC, on several frames, when new chunks load, adding to the FPS drop that already happens when building meshes.

Where is the English translation of this?  So far i got: Optimized, PC, and FPS.  

Edited by SnowDog1942 (see edit history)

8 hours ago, faatal said:

I am testing Unity 2020.2 currently. Only needed 3 code changes. Seems fine and is supposed to have some performance improvements. Feels a bit faster. 2020.3 (LTS) is supposed to be out soon, so A20 should end up being on that.

5 hours ago, faatal said:

Yes. A big THANK YOU for all those changes. The profiler is a very nice plus indeed. Saves pain.

1 hour ago, Xtracker said:

So basic what i learned of 26 pages is that character overhaul won't be in A20 but why.. is so much to re-code ? or something is not on top priority ?

@faatal or @madmole can you say something why it is canceled for now i will appreciate every info.

That is the only thing you were able to learn in 26 pages? The pipe weapons alone are a huge improvement to the game. They have a lot of things in the works that they aren't ready to show yet. A lot of time is going into polishing and optimizing and cleaning up old code as well. It isn't sexy (except for @faatal) but it is necessary at this stage of development and it doesn't make for very exciting television.

Look at the heading on the first page and notice that it says 20/21 roadmap. Now look at the note Madmole left after Character Overhaul. WIP means "Work in progress". The character overhaul is not cancelled. They are working on it and projections are that it won't be finished in time for Alpha 20. Since it was not removed and still resides under the main header it means that they hope to finish it up by Alpha 21.

On 10/28/2020 at 6:49 PM, madmole said:

Alpha 20/21 Roadmap

13) Character Overhaul - WIP will not ship in A20.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

12 hours ago, Blake_ said:

Yes. A big THANK YOU for all those changes. The profiler is a very nice plus indeed. Saves pain.

Unity released 2020.2.5 today, which actually fixed some weird profiler UI behavior and a profler error, both of which I was getting, so good job Unity!

3 hours ago, Xtracker said:

So basic what i learned of 26 pages is that character overhaul won't be in A20 but why.. is so much to re-code ? or something is not on top priority ?

@faatal or @madmole can you say something why it is canceled for now i will appreciate every info.

It is potentially a lot of programming changes and the programmer who will probably be doing it is working on a lot of RWG changes.

Thanks for info

4 hours ago, Roland said:

That is the only thing you were able to learn in 26 pages? The pipe weapons alone are a huge improvement to the game. They have a lot of things in the works that they aren't ready to show yet. A lot of time is going into polishing and optimizing and cleaning up old code as well. It isn't sexy (except for @faatal) but it is necessary at this stage of development and it doesn't make for very exciting television.

Look at the heading on the first page and notice that it says 20/21 roadmap. Now look at the note Madmole left after Character Overhaul. WIP means "Work in progress". The character overhaul is not cancelled. They are working on it and projections are that it won't be finished in time for Alpha 20. Since it was not removed and still resides under the main header it means that they hope to finish it up by Alpha 21.

Yep i see new weapon thats cool i waiting for more stuff ;)

Hi.  I believe that the SexRex stamina gain on killing blow currently is not working on bleed damage.  Ignore me if I am wrong lel. 

Is this intended or could it be changed for A20?

Just trying to plan out my build options for playing insane/nightmare run/64 zombies/horde every night/permadeath. 

Currently doing fine on day 16, but after this run, I feel like my points in SexRex are probably better spent somewhere else.  If the stamina on killing blow worked with knife bleeding, I would have probably invested even more into it, and sooner. 

i remember reading or maybe one of the videos..  that the traders will only have one category per trader..

like jen will just have the items to first aid..

joel will have weapons

etc...

is this still the plan??

me

loving the game..

17 hours ago, VooDoo said:

i remember reading or maybe one of the videos..  that the traders will only have one category per trader..

like jen will just have the items to first aid..

joel will have weapons

etc...

is this still the plan??

me

loving the game..

Its already in the game, its just a bit weak. 

Is there a planned change to Traders? Right now we can't collect any of their crops since it's not E to collect anymore and they have trader immunity. Is TFP planning on removing the crops or otherwise making them available to players or are we doomed to be teased with coffee every time we go to visit Trader Joel?

3 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

@faatal Will there be an open listing for players to discover seeds on their own and then submit them to TFP for possible additional pregen worlds, provided they meet your standards? The more the merrier after all.

Each pregen world adds 300 MB to the install size, so we would probably stick with shipping just 3 for now.

• Roland unpinned this topic
  • Roland locked this topic