Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

17 hours ago, faatal said:

Each pregen world adds 300 MB to the install size, so we would probably stick with shipping just 3 for now.

Perhaps you could remove the alpha channel from biomes.png and splat3.png to save space? Moreover you don't actually need RGB channels for each pixel, do you? I mean, you could encode the same information in just 1 byte per pixel, instead of 3 (or instead of 4 if you use the alpha channel)...

Also I've noticed that the RAW format that you use for the heightmap ('dtm.raw') uses a lot more space than a 16bit png... And png is lossless

What do you think?

2 hours ago, KingSlayerGM said:

Perhaps you could remove the alpha channel from biomes.png and splat3.png to save space? Moreover you don't actually need RGB channels for each pixel, do you? I mean, you could encode the same information in just 1 byte per pixel, instead of 3 (or instead of 4 if you use the alpha channel)...

Also I've noticed that the RAW format that you use for the heightmap ('dtm.raw') uses a lot more space than a 16bit png... And png is lossless

What do you think?

Sure, we could do a lot of things, but that is low priority.

6 hours ago, faatal said:

Sure, we could do a lot of things, but that is low priority.

I'm sure you don't hear this often, but I'm very thankful that you are part of TFP team. When you are around, features magically pop up . You should be called a "Programming Fairy Sasquatch", 'cause you grant wishes like vehicles, Zd AI and optimization while being a rare breed of methodic worker. I still remember A16 with all the pain it gave to my PC. 

Hell no to the 1 fps hordes. +1 for the future. 

Got a pair of questions today,

1: Is Stealth going to get an update at some point?

• I know having poi triggers for ambushes are important for a good scare, but I also see people with really good stealth loadouts get totally boned by established abmush lines. I've also noticed these same people with a suppressed pistol wake up an entire POI taking one sneak shot. Is that a bug with suppressed pistols? I would think that good stealth skills/gear that you could roll through a POI with a suppressed pistol and wipe out everything Sam Fisher style.

2: Are traps going to be getting a rework/any plans for new traps?

• Blade traps take a lot resources to make and maintain, and currently break down really fast compared to the upkeep cost. I think a lot of people would like to see some addition trap options as well such as flamer traps or hammer traps (more to push zombies around than damage). I know many players who complain that they don't get xp from spikes (yes I know this is a problem with the ownership of the object because of its block type) but something like powered spike traps (think of the classic trap where the spikes jut out of the ground when walked on) could be a really fun higher tier to the spikes. Wood > Iron > powered could be an interesting track to follow.

That's all I got for today. Looking forward to seeing some more info on A20.

Edited by roughgalaxy
Spelling/grammar (see edit history)

@Devs,

Are there any plans to add a game option to control sleeper respawns? For instance similar to the loot respawn where it could be something like every 3 days, 7 days, 15 days, or never.

Many people find the rate at which POIs refill with zombies to be immersion breaking, plus it would add another way of playing the game to be able to set the goal of "clearing" a town... or even the entire map. 

In addition, it makes sense as a companion setting to loot respawn. If you are worried about folks exploiting the setting so the can have the loot respawn and go reboot thing without having to fight again, you could probably make it so that loot respawn is locked to "never" if zombie respawn is set to the same. Maybe make it so the loot respawn time just cant be set to a shorter period than the zombie respawn.

In any case, I feel it's a setting that has been needed for awhile, and it isn't such a niche thing it should just be left to the modders.

Thanks for all your hard work, btw, and looking forward to everything going forward! A20 looks pretty cool.

18 hours ago, luki12163 said:

Are there any mods (for vehicles) that are already ready or in development? I would really love to know what mods are planned and how will they work?

Also is there any news about drone and if it's coming to A20?

These are the planned vehicle mods:

Fuel Saver - Works

Off Road Headlights - Works

Super Charger -  Works

Expanded Seat - TODO

Reserve Fuel Tank - Working on today

None of them are fully done, since they still need icons, schematics and put in loot lists.

Drone should be in a20.

2 minutes ago, faatal said:

Fuel Saver - Works

Super Charger -  Works

Expanded Seat - TODO

None of them are fully done, since they still need icons, schematics and put in loot lists.

Drone should be in a20.

How about a spikes mod for increased damage against entities? :)

So how will the mod design work exactly? Will there be a progression system where the minibike can hold more mod(s) than a bike, a motorcycle more than the minibike, and so on?

Was about to suggestion the same, a vehicle mod to increase damage against zombies so you can at least one hit kill basic zombies would be nice just for the fun of running them over while driving. You could even give bloodmoon zombies a resistance to it if you thought it was OP for horde night, but after the terror of the super horde vultures I doubt anyone still tries to drive around all night. It's mostly just fun to bonk zombies with a car, and then it's kind of sad when you have to back up and do it 20 times to actually kill them lol

Edited by Khalagar (see edit history)

1 hour ago, faatal said:

Fuel Saver - Works

Super Charger -  Works

Expanded Seat - TODO

Drone should be in a20.

And let's not forget the E.T. mod.  Ya know what it does.

et-in-a-basket-costume-et (1).jpg

2 hours ago, faatal said:

Fuel Saver - Works

Super Charger -  Works

Expanded Seat - TODO

Drone should be in a20.

That sounds really good and I really love Expanded seat. I am curious if it will work for every vehicle or just some of them? Fuel Saver and Super Charger ( I assume is for the max speed) is something I will use on every vehicle.

Do you considered mod that would increase amount of storage space provided?  My friend have rough times when looting even with 4x4 truck. 
By words "These are the planned vehicle mods:" I assume that there are no other mods to be added to the game at least in A20?

I really like to see that you mentioned Drone hear. I have high hopes that it will made to A20 even in later versions. I am big fun of this idea and I am curious how good it will be. Good to hear that.

2 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

How about a spikes mod for increased damage against entities? :)

So how will the mod design work exactly? Will there be a progression system where the minibike can hold more mod(s) than a bike, a motorcycle more than the minibike, and so on?

Yeah, spikes could be cool to use especially on larger groups of enemies. I wonder too as how will mod system work and how many slots will each vehicle have?

3 hours ago, faatal said:

Fuel Saver - Works

Super Charger -  Works

Expanded Seat - TODO

Drone should be in a20.

I wish there was a reaction like this: :whoo:

Any plans for upgrades or higher tier workbenches/forges/chem sations/campfires etc? Late game is kind of jarring having 20 or so forges being on and managed at the same time.

It'd nice to have access to something with more slots at least for work stations, maybe having something like an industrial tier for them wold be nice and be more aesthetically fitting as well.

5 hours ago, faatal said:

Fuel Saver - Works

Super Charger -  Works

Expanded Seat - TODO

Drone should be in a20.

Do any of these visually change the vehicles? Or are they similar to tools in workstations, that just affect functionality but aren't visible on the models themselves?

I'm asking because, back when vehicle mods were first introduced to us, it sounded like they would introduce something like player clothing but for vehicles. Like, the "cow catcher" on the front of the 4x4 wouldn't be there originally, it would be a mod.

If that is being worked on for vehicles, it might mean that progress is being made on replacing UMA for players. So I'm genuinely curious.

6 hours ago, Odetta said:

And let's not forget the E.T. mod.  Ya know what it does.

et-in-a-basket-costume-et (1).jpg

actually.....

it would be kinda cool to be able to use a mod slot collect a vulture/zed head and mount it on the hood like an ornament.  Just one. Maybe with some ragdoll on it as you turned. Literally no benefit other than "wheee!"

1 hour ago, doughphunghus said:

Vultures are lit!

9 hours ago, faatal said:

Fuel Saver - Works

Super Charger -  Works

Expanded Seat - TODO

Drone should be in a20.

Idea for the sequel is to have it so vehicles leave trails in any soft ground.  That way we can make organic trails on the map.  Like turning top soil into gravel as you drive over it. Idk 🤷‍♂️

The mods I listed are all a20 will probably have. I spent today getting them enabled, icons set, tags set, slot counts set, fuel tank working and fixed a UI bug. Bicycle has 2 slots and it goes up from there for the other vehicles, but none of the 5 will probably be enabled for the bicycle anyway. The seat mod needs code still.

3 minutes ago, faatal said:

The mods I listed are all a20 will probably have. I spent today getting them enabled, icons set, tags set, slot counts set, fuel tank working and fixed a UI bug. Bicycle has 2 slots and it goes up from there for the other vehicles, but none of the 5 will probably be enabled for the bicycle anyway. The seat mod needs code still.

The ridiculous images that scroll through my head when I think of a bicycle with a turbo mod...

7 hours ago, luki12163 said:

That sounds really good and I really love Expanded seat. I am curious if it will work for every vehicle or just some of them? Fuel Saver and Super Charger ( I assume is for the max speed) is something I will use on every vehicle.

Do you considered mod that would increase amount of storage space provided?  My friend have rough times when looting even with 4x4 truck. 
By words "These are the planned vehicle mods:" I assume that there are no other mods to be added to the game at least in A20?

I really like to see that you mentioned Drone hear. I have high hopes that it will made to A20 even in later versions. I am big fun of this idea and I am curious how good it will be. Good to hear that.

Yeah, spikes could be cool to use especially on larger groups of enemies. I wonder too as how will mod system work and how many slots will each vehicle have?

Some of them.

Storage changes are not trivial. Maybe after a20.

• Roland unpinned this topic
  • Roland locked this topic