Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

2 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

I sure hope not if they will continue to create an uncloseable door after they are used. That eliminates the POI from ever being able to be used as a base.

..in your opinion... to a lot of us it is a big problem.

Players have many options to fortify a POI even if they cannot be reclosed.  If anything allowing too many open/closable switch doors can bypass the electricity stage so it needs to be carefully used in design.

Regardless, it's worth talking about so I will bring it up in our next meeting.

13 minutes ago, User2010w said:

Are you MASOCHISTS! Jolie! MASOCHIST?
Are you holding us for morons !? With such a stamina to dig such a treasure radius without a drill ??? YES @%$# YOU IDIOTS! I will never take on a treasure hunt quest! IDIOTS!

Place about five to six wood frames on the circle edge evenly spaced apart and then when the circle shrinks go look at which crates remained on the circle. The chest will be in that direction. You don’t have to dig up the whole area. You can usually find it pretty quickly. 

2 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Playing Devil's Advocate here, but this game is meant to be set in a post apocalyptic world. Even on day 7000, shouldn't the player constantly be starving and should always be in search for food? Unless they wish to consume crappy foods all the time, and in saying that the higher end recipes should be heavily regulated and farming, to some degree, discouraged.

You have to admit, farming was severely OP in A19. It was plant and forget, and within a few weeks you'd have enough food to feed an entire village. Man people do like their handouts.

^^^^^ Again, playing Devil's Advocate here.

I did not ask for a change of the current farming output but only asked for that half of the seeds that you get back now to stay in their plot. "Wrong address" I would say

Probably been said well before now, I know there different AI routines for zombies to keep things random like.

Noticing in streams that most zombies go for doors and the door is being used as a point of distraction where as the player will hit zombies attempting to destroy the door even though the player is right next to them hitting them through a block opening. I am puzzled why the 'line of sight' attack routine doesn't come into play when the zombie see's the player and they on the same block level ?

3 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

I sure hope not if they will continue to create an uncloseable door after they are used. That eliminates the POI from ever being able to be used as a base.

..in your opinion... to a lot of us it is a big problem.

Yeah I get that, but can’t you just destroy the door and replace it?

12 minutes ago, meganoth said:

I did not ask for a change of the current farming output but only asked for that half of the seeds that you get back now to stay in their plot. "Wrong address" I would say

Fair enough. It'll be interesting to know if that was a design made by choice or if it is due to technical limitations.

16 minutes ago, meganoth said:

I like this idea.

but how about this?

why not leave the seeds when you harvest, but instead have a 50% chance to yield from the crops when you harvest so  there are 2 out comes

A) you harvest it and get the appropriate resources and it goes back to a seedling

B) you harvest it and get 0 resources and it becomes a seedling

and you could even have a percentage for partial harvest maybe?

You create the exact same amount of scarcity without all the hassle or frustrating outcomes

Edited by POCKET951 (see edit history)

6 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Well you would at least expect to find a side arm or ammo on a belt holster.

Or a bullet proof vest on a torso.

Or a M-16 on a dead solders body.

If a solder was on a mounted gun and died shooting.

His standard issue weapon would be near his corpse.

I could see a truck having a shovel, chains, spare gas and a tool kit.

But not a 1800's style pick axe with a wooden handle.

as for items moving from their intended place.

The survivor may have beamed to earth years after society fell.

But the rad zone suggest everyone died by high yield nuclear devices.

That everyone died swiftly quickly.  

I agree with most of this things but... pickaxe are still very popular in army and truckers. Because you can crash ice for example.

2 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Playing Devil's Advocate here, but this game is meant to be set in a post apocalyptic world. Even on day 7000, shouldn't the player constantly be starving and should always be in search for food? Unless they wish to consume crappy foods all the time, and in saying that the higher end recipes should be heavily regulated and farming, to some degree, discouraged.

You have to admit, farming was severely OP in A19. It was plant and forget, and within a few weeks you'd have enough food to feed an entire village. Man people do like their handouts.

^^^^^ Again, playing Devil's Advocate here.

Ofc not. After 20 years the most living people will be living in colony  : some of them protecting base some of them will be farmers. Etc 

So food woudn't be problem but ( let say zombies can't stave or decay to death) tools, clothes or building. Because tools are rusting and breaking, clothes worn out etc. So 100 years after Dayz 0 teens will running around barefoot, most adults farming with scythe in "something similiar to medival period" world

10 hours ago, Khalagar said:

I mentioned this once before too, but if the intention of pipe weapons was to make it so all ammo had a relevant early weapon, they forgot .44 and junk turret ammo. Blow pipe for a t0 ranged int weapon could use junk ammo, but yeah it's weird you can't craft a crappy revolver something can use 44.  Getting .44 as your quest reward feels bad, I just sell it since I never use it anyway

The intention of the pipe weapons was to create a T0 ranged weapon (and a T0 melee weapon for batons since that was the only melee wpn group without one) for all of the range groups.  I don't think they ever said the intention was to create a T0 weapon for each type of ammo.  At least that is how I remember it.

pipe gun question:

I know its not a reality simulator BUT...do the pipe guns have any attributes/settings that make them "harder to aim and hit what you aimed at at a distance" over normal guns?  like "bullet spread" or similar? I feel a gun you made out of a pipes you likely scavenged from toilets and duct tape wouldn't be rifled and/or would not be bored out nicely so there would/should be some major inaccuracy (based on aiming down the sights) when firing at anything farther away than a few meters/blocks that couldn't be "adjusted for" via just saying "the sights are adjusted to account for that".