Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

On 9/11/2021 at 12:08 PM, Blake_ said:

Awesome! Not concerned until bandits though, it runs better since 19.3/19.4

A while ago you promised on your Pikachu's grave that you would increase sleeper volume spawn performance/ wandering horde performance and that some of those could be better than they are now.

My question is:

Are a20 (1-)horde spawns/(2-)animal horde spawns, and (3-)huge-simultaneous-adjacent-consecutive sleeper volume spawns better in performance than a19?

I believe you already said "no" for hordes but I might be wrong or very forgetful.

In A20, sleeper volumes will globally only spawn 2 per tick. Wandering is the same.

@faatalA few questions...

I remember there being a effect were a snow texture covered the tops of blocks during snow storms. I thought this effect was really cool, will it return?

Maybe it's just me but exclusive full-screen mode doesn't seem work. Can that be fixed? I'd Love to use down-sampling as anti-aliasing, without having to first change my desktop resolution.

Will the new pump action shotgun come with proper animations for loading the correct amount of shells?

Are there any plans to add a low quality and high quality SMG? If not, maybe it isn't a bad idea...

Eventually, will all weapon attachments actually show on guns? Example, being able to see the retracting stock mod on the double barrel shotgun.

27 minutes ago, Kinyajuu said:

Yes. 150x150. Yes.

I think Madmole mentioned during the stream about needing to update POI's. Is that just for the blocks or also for RWG since you folks are using a new system? Anything you can share on that or is it hush-hush until later? (totally understand if it is)

31 minutes ago, Kinyajuu said:

Yes. 150x150. Yes.

Is it possible to create tiles that have some kind of meta data that when generated in rwg always spawn a group of specific tiles, that always line up together in a specific way? Say to split a larger prefab than 150 into separate prefabs and have each section of the prefab in it's own tile always spawned together lined up.

3 minutes ago, KhaineGB said:

Older hardware still had turbo boost for single core vs all core.

It just wasn't as granular as the newer hardware that has like single, dual, quad and all core turbo.

true the 6700k has a boost of 4.2 and there is an all core optimisation option in the bios that runs all cores at that boost, but for that test it was running a manual 4.5 all core oc, so the clock speeds were capped at a maximum clock of 4.5, single dual or all core loads would never exceed that clock speed.

On 9/12/2021 at 3:38 PM, Fanatical_Meat said:

What does this mean?

There are 20 ticks per second. On any single tick, there will be no more that 2 sleepers spawned period. This applies globally to all volumes, so any remaining volumes will have to try on the next tick.

22 hours ago, jeromeN7 said:

@faatalA few questions...

I remember there being a effect were a snow texture covered the tops of blocks during snow storms. I thought this effect was really cool, will it return?

Maybe it's just me but exclusive full-screen mode doesn't seem work. Can that be fixed? I'd Love to use down-sampling as anti-aliasing, without having to first change my desktop resolution.

Will the new pump action shotgun come with proper animations for loading the correct amount of shells?

Are there any plans to add a low quality and high quality SMG? If not, maybe it isn't a bad idea...

Eventually, will all weapon attachments actually show on guns? Example, being able to see the retracting stock mod on the double barrel shotgun.

Snow, probably not.

The rest I don't know.

I'm finally caught up on everything, and wow A20 is looking amazing!!

I know you guys really want extremely complicated to implement feature suggestions, so if you guys are really really bored while working on terrain generation, expanding on the underground generation at some point would be really cool. A cave system generator  might be a bit too taxing, but a "spawner nest" that spawns near areas with too much heat on the heatmap and spams out zombies forcing you to go clear the nest would be pretty neat. There could be quests for it too, where a trader sends you to go clear a tunnel complex full of strong zombies to reach the "core"

Sure, zombies spawning out of a nest may not make sense to zombie fanatics, but who cares about the babies crying about muh lore breaking burnt zombies and zombie spawners.

1 hour ago, Swiftpaw said:

Is the Vulkan API running well in A20?  It was already running quite well in A19 but had some rare glitches.

Can't wait to get back into modding.  So excited for A20!  Hope it gets polished and released before Halloween as suggested!

Unity is the hold up on Vulkan compatibility. TFP have made Vulkan work as far as it is supported by Unity. Further advancements in getting Vulkan to work are dependent upon future releases by Unity that better support Vulkan.

Going to repeat an earlier question that I don't believe was answered. Are rebar frames gone in A20?

If so, I am not a fan of this change. One of the advantages of rebar frames is not having to go through the full upgrade cycle of wood (or flagstone)->cobblestone,->concrete-> steel. It also eliminates the wet concrete and reinforced concrete stages (which may no longer exist). In mid to late game I really don't want to have to deal with the wood->cobble->concrete->steel pipeline and just want to build in concrete. I would rather just focus on pumping out as much concrete as I can and not have to worry about crafting cobblestone rocks.

39 minutes ago, Roland said:

Unity is the hold up on Vulkan compatibility. TFP have made Vulkan work as far as it is supported by Unity. Further advancements in getting Vulkan to work are dependent upon future releases by Unity that better support Vulkan.

Cool that TFP are keeping up with the latest Unity improvements!

It sounds like A20 is getting a Unity update since "Unity Update" is white rather than orange on the roadmap.  Will be interesting to see if A20 contains any upgrades and improvements to Vulkan support or performance. 🐺

On 9/13/2021 at 9:26 AM, Naz said:

Is it possible to create tiles that have some kind of meta data that when generated in rwg always spawn a group of specific tiles, that always line up together in a specific way? Say to split a larger prefab than 150 into separate prefabs and have each section of the prefab in it's own tile always spawned together lined up.

true the 6700k has a boost of 4.2 and there is an all core optimisation option in the bios that runs all cores at that boost, but for that test it was running a manual 4.5 all core oc, so the clock speeds were capped at a maximum clock of 4.5, single dual or all core loads would never exceed that clock speed.

Nope, the towns are laid out in general tiles first, then the connections are built. It doesn't have any other function other than filtering out some prefabs based on rules in rwgmixer.xml. Now, you could abuse the rules to make sure that only certain ones spawn, but not on a per township basis.

15 minutes ago, Kinyajuu said:

Nope, the towns are laid out in general tiles first, then the connections are built. It doesn't have any other function other than filtering out some prefabs based on rules in rwgmixer.xml. Now, you could abuse the rules to make sure that only certain ones spawn, but not on a per township basis.

Are there conditions such as max per city, max per world and minimum distance between for tiles?

Archived