Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

18 minutes ago, Darklegend222 said:

INT still has everything it had before, if not a bit more with a mention of extra traps in the latest dev stream, plus you get a drone, even if it doesn't shoot (i think you need a mod for that, but I'm not sure so take my words with caution.)

extra traps?

INT still has everything it had before, if not a bit more with a mention of extra traps in the latest dev stream, plus you get a drone, even if it doesn't shoot (i think you need a mod for that, but I'm not sure so take my words with caution.)

extra traps?

extra traps?

not sure why that posted 3 times, lol

Edited by SnowDog1942 (see edit history)

27 minutes ago, Darklegend222 said:

I don't think a mod will allow it to shoot. But it can heal you and have even more storage space. Maybe something else or 2 but not sure. 

Edit to say that when I say more storage space I mean it will have storage and it follows you so with your backpack plus it plus vehicle you should have plenty of storage lol. If it follows you in a vehicle not heard it can't but also not heard it can so hmmm lol

Edited by crazywildfire (see edit history)

4 minutes ago, SnowDog1942 said:

extra traps?

extra traps?

extra traps?

not sure why that posted 3 times, lol

It's a glitch in the site lol.

But yea, they've been doing live streams on fubar_prime in twitch, they're extremely vague in the information that they give out as to not spoil anything. All they said was "you'll notice some new traps as well"

This is opinionated, so you play however the f*** you want: if you're mainly speccing in INT then I personally would spec into a separate perk just for their weapons, I'd use INT specifically as support as it can craft healing/vehicles/traps, you all do you though!

30 minutes ago, Darklegend222 said:

I don't know what extra traps there would be. Don't think drone is going to have any weapon mods.

Traps might be referring to traps in POIs.

Edited by faatal (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, faatal said:

I don't know what extra traps there would be. Don't think drone is going to have any weapon mods.

Traps might be referring to traps in POIs.

Someone asked if they could place more traps in their custom POIs.  There are a few new trap blocks for POI builders to use.

37 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Someone asked if they could place more traps in their custom POIs.  There are a few new trap blocks for POI builders to use.

Btw, you guys said that you want caves but you lack the tools to dig terrain and right now you need to place dirt blocks one by one to make that desired underground places. 

But then you guys made a map by hand and went ahead and placed 1200 shapes in order with signs and all for all to use.

What's stopping you from making a general-use map consisting of a huge giant dirt or stone squared block (the size of a POI slot in all directions, like 150x150x250?) that you can all then load at will and modify with an entrance and some hand made terrain at the very top and then use the superdigger or something similar that digs more blocks than 1 at once to quickly make a cave system? 

Even with the superdigger it would be fast. Like 1 POI a day fast.

I mean. Isn't performance about the same if a POI 150x150 spawner slot is underground instead of on the surface? Or I'm I mistaken and splat maps just load all the underground in the area at once or something?

Idk. @faatal?

2 hours ago, Darklegend222 said:

plus you get a drone,

Everyone gets the drone AFAIK, that's what I was saying was the issue a while back when they were wanting the drone to take a Junk Turret slot, it was a literal nerf to int builds instead of a buff because you had to trade 50% of your DPS for something that everyone else got for "free" (because they weren't going to use unperked junk turrets anyway)

I'm still hoping they talk a lot more about the drone, as currently no dev has ever commented on whether the robotic perk line and magazine line even affects the junk drone in any way. So a level 1 character with no perks would have the same junk drone as fully leveled max int robotic focused build

10 hours ago, Roland said:

There have been no changes to FOV and none are planned for A20 as far as I have heard.

Taking periodic walks outside after 15 minutes of play does sound annoying but also incredibly more healthy than what I do...

Do you know if there are any plans to do some work in that area? I play on a 34" Ultrawide and regardless of selected FOV value, objects near the left and right corners of the screen always appear MUCH closer than where they actually are..

2 hours ago, littlegreen said:

Do you know if there are any plans to do some work in that area? I play on a 34" Ultrawide and regardless of selected FOV value, objects near the left and right corners of the screen always appear MUCH closer than where they actually are..

I'm not sure if that's possible... but isn't there some setting you can enable directly from your graphics card? Maybe even create a profile specifically for 7D2D?

19 hours ago, Kosmic Kerman said:

Thanks for clarifying this Roland. I am going to miss rebar. I always viewed building in rebar as part of the progression system. I always found early bases tedious with the wood->cobblestone->concrete upgrade pipeline. I greatly appreciated the ability to build in rebar (especially since rebar as a metal material block could hold more weight).  You could lay out an entire base and not have to worry too much about SI. Depending on the weight characteristics of the new frames we may have to upgrade as we go since the A19 wood frames have SI limitations that rebar does not. I also appreciated rebar frames because breaking misplaced blocks is one of my least favorite activities in 7dtd. I will reserve judgment, however, to see how tedious it is to layout a base with the new frames and replace with full blocks in A20. It's a shame that it was deemed not possible (or desirable) to have both starter building frames (particle board) and advanced building frames (rebar).

100% agreed !!

5 hours ago, littlegreen said:

I'm sure they will do whatever they can within the limits they have to work with. Perhaps as they continue to optimize and find gains in performance they will be able to broaden the view without issues occurring on the periphery of the screen.

On 9/15/2021 at 12:00 PM, Roland said:

If they delay A20 for bandits then it will arrive at about the same time that A21 would anyway. So if you feel strongly about your suggestion you can keep playing A19 and ignore A20 and then when A21 releases you can pretend that that is A20 and it was delayed for bandits. It's not like bandits are almost done and they just need to delay things a month or two.

So no hate. You do you and we will play A20 this year. :)

I believe faatal DID say before Alpha 19 release, that melee bandits were pretty much done, and needed a few days of code to finish up. It was in one of the streams, along with that the raft needed a weekend of work type of thing to get into the game.

Now this might have been a super simplification, that certain aspects were ready but not the "final" vision of what Bandits were intended for, but it also likely has increased confusion as to why they are not in. People for instance see lotsa modpacks with bandits and survivors in, very basic sure, but then wonder why TFP "when it only needed a few days" haven't also put them in :)

But it's just one of the unforeseen side-effects of communication, questions are asked, answers are given, but people have their own interpretation on each side that happen to not be in sync :)

1 hour ago, Roland said:

I'm sure they will do whatever they can within the limits they have to work with. Perhaps as they continue to optimize and find gains in performance they will be able to broaden the view without issues occurring on the periphery of the screen.

i have a similar monitor 34in alienware 21:9 ultra wide 3440x1440p or whatever. I dont know what you are talking about, but whenever i play any game thats not ultra wide i just get more screen. ex: League of Legends. I just get more map on my screen. Ex: 7D2D i just get more screen on my er... screen! i dont have that issue you have, maybe its an actual monitor setting?

Edited by MajorMunchy (see edit history)

7 minutes ago, Vedui said:

I believe faatal DID say before Alpha 19 release, that melee bandits were pretty much done, and needed a few days of code to finish up. It was in one of the streams, along with that the raft needed a weekend of work type of thing to get into the game.

Now this might have been a super simplification, that certain aspects were ready but not the "final" vision of what Bandits were intended for, but it also likely has increased confusion as to why they are not in. People for instance see lotsa modpacks with bandits and survivors in, very basic sure, but then wonder why TFP "when it only needed a few days" haven't also put them in :)

But it's just one of the unforeseen side-effects of communication, questions are asked, answers are given, but people have their own interpretation on each side that happen to not be in sync :)

I haven't checked in a long time. Think it was back in A16 the last I messed with it. But vanilla then had bandits you could spawn in. I imagine it still does but again I haven't checked. Just sayin technically they have had bandits just not active ones. I mean they have had a lot of things that either not ready or decided differently that are in the files just not in game.

1 hour ago, Vedui said:

I probably said they could be done fairly easily, not that they are, because you could reskin a zombie as a bandit, stick a weapon in his hand and say "look bandits!", but we are planning on doing something better than that.

1 hour ago, MajorMunchy said:

i have a similar monitor 34in alienware 21:9 ultra wide 3440x1440p or whatever. I dont know what you are talking about, but whenever i play any game thats not ultra wide i just get more screen. ex: League of Legends. I just get more map on my screen. Ex: 7D2D i just get more screen on my er... screen! i dont have that issue you have, maybe its an actual monitor setting?

I'm not talking about a monitor issue. I'm talking about an occlusion issue with the game itself. The view is limited so that we don't see objects and terrain popping in and out of existence at the edges. 

Whenever you play any game you say? Are any of those other games voxel worlds on the same scale and with the same detail, smoothness, and resolution as 7 Days to Die? I'm sure any of your games with static worlds and buildings that are just props and decoration can probably wrap your vision twice around your head for a 720 degree FOV...

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Vedui said:

Sure...and some of those people who misinterpret use those misinterpretations for click bait as "breaking news" to attract viewers for their channels... ;)

The devs certainly aren't starting bandits from scratch once A20 is stable but neither are they almost done with a few days work needed. They put bandits in previously and were not happy with them because they were basically zombies with guns and clubs and their animations were very poor. This time they want to make sure they are done well and that is going to take time. 

As to the raft...it IS practically done. Probably a weekend's work for faatal to touch up a few things or perhaps for the artists to bling it up and it is ready. Unfortunately....the water upon which it is supposed to ride will take more than that weekend to finish and without the water, why enable the raft?

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Vedui said:

You said melee bandits were nearly ready. If your recollection is correct the most interesting part of the bandits would have been still missing, gun toting bandits. And not even that is enough, bandits without organised camps and a story would have been just zombies with a different skin.

Imagine TFP showing off their bandits and those bandits being inconsequential like the bandits enabled in the mods. That would be a publicity disaster

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Vedui said:

Melee bandits are easy because zombies are melee. Ranged bandits are harder because they are not supposed to just come in your direction and shoot every now and then, like cops do.

2 hours ago, faatal said:

I probably said they could be done fairly easily, not that they are, because you could reskin a zombie as a bandit, stick a weapon in his hand and say "look bandits!", but we are planning on doing something better than that.

2 hours ago, Roland said:

Sure...and some of those people who misinterpret use those misinterpretations for click bait as "breaking news" to attract viewers for their channels... ;)

The devs certainly aren't starting bandits from scratch once A20 is stable but neither are they almost done with a few days work needed. They put bandits in previously and were not happy with them because they were basically zombies with guns and clubs and their animations were very poor. This time they want to make sure they are done well and that is going to take time. 

As to the raft...it IS practically done. Probably a weekend's work for faatal to touch up a few things or perhaps for the artists to bling it up and it is ready. Unfortunately....the water upon which it is supposed to ride will take more than that weekend to finish and without the water, why enable the raft?

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

You said melee bandits were ready. If your recollection is correct the most interesting part of the bandits would have been still missing, gun toting bandits. And not even that is enough, bandits without organised camps and a story would have been just zombies with a different skin.

Imagine TFP showing off their bandits and those bandits being inconsequential like the bandits enabled in the mods. That would be a publicity disaster

Honestly i have bad opinion about human enemies in zombies games and i will try explain why spend a lot of resources and time for them is pointless.

Okay : 1. Often human AI in games just do stupid things- i think everyone who play a lot of fps saw some stupid human enemies behaviour. In 7dtd it will be even harder - Because there is bandits VS zombie VS player - so there will be a lot of stupid sitations. One of the best example can be hospital in hl2 or days gone. In this games "human" ai just wait to be killed by zombie AI. @faatal don't blame me but Bend studio had a bigger budget , more employers and they coudn't do this good in indestructible world so it just can't work good in 7dtd. Honestly that's why we don't have human enemy in cod zombie ( Atlas Strike Team is exception but they are "invisible" for zombies so they just fight with player). Honestly i wish it could works good and the closed to achieve this is Dying light but is still far from being good (sometimes bandits ignore zombies and are focusing on player and zombie deal rly small dmg to them).

2. Balance problem - okay - in days gone most have guns. You have guns. Melee weapons are only "last stand" weapon not main for 80% of game.  In dying light most people use melee weapons and you use melee weapons most of  time. So everyone have similiar way of fight. In 7dtd you have more styles of fight - you can focus on few melee weapons, spears, few types of guns.  In diffrent games ofc you have this same sitation but simpler- in dead island  you have few melee characters , 1 throwing character and guns characters. They have diffrent "special" skills but finaly they are almost this same in playing. 7dtd is more complicated so this can be impossible to balance. in Dying light guys with guns can kill you very fast but when are this guys there is almost any zombies ( prison island). So there is a chance to be bandit  too easy or too hard. So it would need a lot of time to balance this - maybe 1 or 2 rly big fixes

@faatal i know you guys promise them in kickstarter so my advice is : just make it in bordelands style- melee bandits just behave like bordelands psycho, guns bandits just stay somewhere or just walk few steps and shoot.  And make them respawning in bandit camps - let them just sitting there similiar to bordelands 1 and that's all. I know you guys are ambitiouse and i appreciate it but a lot studios tried and failed so better not to waste time. In zombie game zombies works best- they can do stupid thing and people will forgive this because they are zombies. But reviewiers and players critize stupid human AI behaviour 

Edited by Matt115 (see edit history)