Alpha 20 Dev Diary

madmole

@faatal in the list of companies that work with AMD FSR there is Unity, apparently in the engine and FSR will now appear. Will 7 Days To Die support FSR in the future? And yes - I understand that you will have to update the engine again. And by the way, what version of the engine will be A20?

• Zombies can crawl through 1-meter holes?  Will players also be able to go through one meter openings like they used to?  

Football player and cheerleader are gone?  Maybe just use them for the school like in the one in Navezgane? 

@faatal@madmole

This may have been discussed already but I may have missed it or forgot about it, but are Critical injuries getting some tweaks in Alpha 20?  I recall with the introduction of our current system it was discussed that there was going to be some fine tuning on what conditions cause the critical injury to occur rather than the current system which seems to be random (the effect is applied randomly, not how you get the injury).

I love the current system where I can either choose to ignore the injury (and suffer the consequences) or seek out medical treatment for them.  Thanks.

On 6/11/2021 at 4:39 PM, Roland said:

They won't all be glowing and on fire. The original one that was shown a few months back is the regular burnt zombie, the glowing one is a higher tier and the ignited one is highest. It sort of aligns with normal -> Feral -> irradiated.

I've played with the normal ones and although they are the weakest of the three, they are super creepy and hard to see in the dark. I've experienced more jump scares from them than any other zombie because in dark interiors they are easy to miss skeletal creepy nightmares. These new guys will be tougher to kill but hard to miss seeing in the dark.

Well are we getting a new irradiated zombie???

13 hours ago, faatal said:

Not in A20.

We have considered it. There could be some variations, but not A20.

Seeing/hearing is in xml, but I think most zombies are the same.

I don't think it is an end goal.

Torque is engine power. Increases acceleration and would determine top speed.

We have plans, but may not be a20.

Don't know.

I have more " technical question"  if it possible  to add option about changing  number of zombies? something like - i want to have  2x-3x zombies but rest of setting like dmg ,loot etc is this same - like  nightmare level in nza 4 - zombie deal this same dmg but there is just more of them. IF it can be done can be change a number of special like : i want more fat zombies but no dogs?

15 minutes ago, Adam the Waster said:

hazmat should be lol XD 

30 minutes ago, sillls said:
  • Zombies can crawl through 1-meter holes?  Will players also be able to go through one meter openings like they used to?  

Football player and cheerleader are gone?  Maybe just use them for the school like in the one in Navezgane? 

1. Doubt it. TFP would have to look at every POI in the game to identify potential locations where players could skip the dungeon path. There would also be clipping issues with terrain and blocks.

2. AFAIK there is a limited amount of texture space they have to work with. They don't want a zombie type to be used for one specific POI. Not only would they have to disable spawns for that zombie literally everywhere else, but one restricted zombie = one less zombie that could be used in multiple points of interest, in BM and wilderness spawns, etc.

3 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

1. Doubt it. TFP would have to look at every POI in the game to identify potential locations where players could skip the dungeon path. There would also be clipping issues with terrain and blocks.

2. AFAIK there is a limited amount of texture space they have to work with. They don't want a zombie type to be used for one specific POI. Not only would they have to disable spawns for that zombie literally everywhere else, but one restricted zombie = one less zombie that could be used in multiple points of interest, in BM and wilderness spawns, etc.

Well football player and cheerleader should be everywhere like soldiers .  Because this  is logical - some players and cheeerleader  ecaped from school and get infected before changing clothes or just run away as zombie from this places.  Well this big problem with 7dtd in nza you have maybe 100 variants of zombies? diffrents camos hats , faces wounds some of them are burning some of them are "bloody" . "Clones" are big problem in  7dtd. 

2 hours ago, Kirill_226RUS said:

@faatal in the list of companies that work with AMD FSR there is Unity, apparently in the engine and FSR will now appear. Will 7 Days To Die support FSR in the future? And yes - I understand that you will have to update the engine again. And by the way, what version of the engine will be A20?

A20 will be on Unity 2020.3.x. We will be doing one more update for A20, hence the x.

The problem with new Unity graphics features is they tend to not support the built in render pipeline and we don't plan on switching to HDRP until our next game, since it will be a large amount of work.

11 hours ago, Khalagar said:

Faatal is the strongest! While you are being so kind to answer about the drone, can you chime in on whether you have heard if the current iteration of the drone still takes up a turret spot or if it's affected by your Robotic perk line at all?

Should be a separate count.

On 5/7/2021 at 11:27 AM, Blake_ said:

@madmole, I have a single-triple question have you been playing a20 lately ? Can you give us some info on the new loot progression ? What's the vision for a20 loot progression ?

I played a game a while back and really enjoyed it. Loot isn't done yet, but the full line up of primitive weapons was implemented so I got to start off with a pipe shotgun and proceed to double barrel and then a pump before I quit playing and it was great being able to specialize right away. I focused mainly on PVE and turned off hordes for the first time ever in a game, mainly because I wanted to try out the new build menu. The new build menu features every block shape in the game, so I was able to go crazy with creation and I had a lot of fun even though hordes were turned off. I did quests for money and the economy is harder than before so I was walking until day 21 or 28, I can't remember when I could finally spring for a motorcycle. Even though it was an early build I had a great time with it. RWG is amazing now, especially cities they are well put together with stop signs, cross walks, sewers, and a lot more.

1 hour ago, Matt115 said:

Well football player and cheerleader should be everywhere like soldiers .  Because this  is logical - some players and cheeerleader  ecaped from school and get infected before changing clothes or just run away as zombie from this places.  Well this big problem with 7dtd in nza you have maybe 100 variants of zombies? diffrents camos hats , faces wounds some of them are burning some of them are "bloody" . "Clones" are big problem in  7dtd. 

Nobody cares about that except people who have 5000 hours. Football player and cheerleader are gone for good, they don't fit in average scenarios since one out of 100,000 people have those outfits on. This helps make room for bandits (18 of them planned).

1 hour ago, Adam the Waster said:

Yes.

3 minutes ago, madmole said:

I played a game a while back and really enjoyed it. Loot isn't done yet, but the full line up of primitive weapons was implemented so I got to start off with a pipe shotgun and proceed to double barrel and then a pump before I quit playing and it was great being able to specialize right away. I focused mainly on PVE and turned off hordes for the first time ever in a game, mainly because I wanted to try out the new build menu. The new build menu features every block shape in the game, so I was able to go crazy with creation and I had a lot of fun even though hordes were turned off. I did quests for money and the economy is harder than before so I was walking until day 21 or 28, I can't remember when I could finally spring for a motorcycle. Even though it was an early build I had a great time with it. RWG is amazing now, especially cities they are well put together with stop signs, cross walks, sewers, and a lot more.

The Mole has returned!

How about a hint on the unannounced game you are working on.

What would you describe the overall play style as. What do you want to accomplish.

7 minutes ago, madmole said:

Nobody cares about that except people who have 5000 hours. Football player and cheerleader are gone for good, they don't fit in average scenarios since one out of 100,000 people have those outfits on. This helps make room for bandits (18 of them planned).

Yes.

Can i prove that football player and cheerleeder can  suit rly good and even 5 bandits is good enough and 13 can be used for more zombies? 

3 hours ago, bloodmoth13 said:

carls corn, hunting shops... yeah maybe a bit limited, but lumberjack is kind of in the same boat there. It could be nice having some wilderness zombies that make sense in the wilderness, for instance its very jarring seeing a stripper, a nurse and a junkie when your in the middle of a forest, seeing some 'hunters' who died hunting coming after you would feel much more appropriate.

Currently going into the snow biome is jarring seeing a million lumberjacks running around, a fur trapper breaking up the monotomy with some other generic zeds would be great. Put him in furs, bear trap on the leg, some light mauling here and there and its perfect.

I agree with @SiNiCaL about reusing the burnt zombie assets for a frostbite zombie too. that would look amazing.

I think "wilderness" is overrrated. Navezgane is about 4 miles from one side to the other. I've hiked trails where just to get to the trail takes more than 4 miles, so easily within walking distance for zombies straying from the urban areas.

54 minutes ago, Matt115 said:

Can i prove that football player and cheerleeder can  suit rly good and even 5 bandits is good enough and 13 can be used for more zombies? 

No.  Losing 2 zombie models will not hurt the game.   I would rather have the 18 planned bandits than 13 more zombies.

I must be weird, but I never had an issue seeing the same zombies over and over again.  It never crossed my mind - Oh hey there is Arlene, again...I wish they would add more or change her out.  It has always been oh threat, low level, take her out unless there is a higher level threat closer.

Then again, my odometer is just 112 hours shy of turning over 3,000 hours for 7D2D so I might not be in MM's category of 5k players  😉

Right now rwg are missing some of the skyscrapers. Will those be added back with this new rwg creator or was this already answered before and I either don't remember it missed it.

Also as silly as this may sound but will the voip ever be worked on? I know discord but some like role playing on a server and discord don't really work well for that type of game play.

Do it. I need more material to move over to the other thread. ;)

1 hour ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

The Mole has returned!

What would you describe the overall play style as. What do you want to accomplish.

Madmole's overall play style on the new game is to wake up his neighbors clacking away on his mechanical keyboard....

1 hour ago, madmole said:

Hi Joel, it's great to see you back here on the forums.

Please, keep an eye on A20 and play around with it from time to time... I'm sure if you do some QA (:smash:) yourself, A20 will be more fun and balanced!  :thumb:

1 hour ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

The Mole has returned!

Which one, there are 3 other games in various stages of development :D

No. We already see that schools close in a pandemic so nobody would be suited up in foot ball gear, nor cheering in the weeks of rioting and pandemic  shut down of 2034 before total apocalypse happen.

29 minutes ago, crazywildfire said:

Right now rwg are missing some of the skyscrapers. Will those be added back with this new rwg creator or was this already answered before and I either don't remember it missed it.

Also as silly as this may sound but will the voip ever be worked on? I know discord but some like role playing on a server and discord don't really work well for that type of game play.

I saw some promising city tiles where the player couldn't see anything but buildings, it had vibes of the first walking dead downtown Atlanta feel, but it was a prototype. I can't promise it will be done but the intent is to put some skyscrapers in it.

8 minutes ago, madmole said:

No. We already see that schools close in a pandemic so nobody would be suited up in foot ball gear, nor cheering in the weeks of rioting and pandemic  shut down of 2034 before total apocalypse happen.

There sure are a surprising amount of newspapers on the ground, and retro cars and appliances around in 2034.

5 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

5 hours ago, bloodmoth13 said:

I like the cowboy but damn does he look out of place in most areas.

I think they should replace him with a fur trapper/frontiersman, a guy in a racoon hat with a bear trap stuck on his leg and a busted up rifle on his back. Would work great for any place where animals live out in the wilderness, hunting shops or even shanty town.

Would seem just out of place as the cowboy in any place other then where you suggest.

Got to remember that there is cowboy themed POIs and even a whole "old west" town in navezgane he was likely designed for.

11 minutes ago, Junuxx said:

There sure are a surprising amount of newspapers on the ground, and retro cars and appliances around in 2034.

Ever play fallout?

21 minutes ago, madmole said:

I saw some promising city tiles where the player couldn't see anything but buildings, it had vibes of the first walking dead downtown Atlanta feel, but it was a prototype. I can't promise it will be done but the intent is to put some skyscrapers in it.

Wait, more new skyscrapers ?

Thanks for the info, man. 

7 minutes ago, samljer said:

Ever play fallout?

Nothing against retrofuturism per se, but the Fallout universe presumes an alternate timeline with a point of deviation many decades in the past. Madmole's comment implies 7dtd is situated in our present timeline's direct future.

5 hours ago, bloodmoth13 said:

I like the cowboy but damn does he look out of place in most areas.

I think they should replace him with a fur trapper/frontiersman, a guy in a racoon hat with a bear trap stuck on his leg and a busted up rifle on his back. Would work great for any place where animals live out in the wilderness, hunting shops or even shanty town.

Coming from a farm country Cali boy (aka me) the only thing really "out of place" about the "cowboy" is the poncho (I haven't seen them used since the 1980's out here aside from impromptu trash bag ones during rain storms), the rest of him is dead on. Though that might be different in AZ (where the game is based) and Texas (where TFP is head quartered), as in they may still use ponchos there. And yes, you do see "cowboys" in larger towns and smaller cities out here, especially where there are allot of farms and ranches.

Archived