Alpha 20 Dev Diary

I have a question

Would it be possible to add a check box in the prefab creator so we can save our own custom prefabs

in a way that would allow them to be used in random generated maps?

Having to go in, and purposely drop them in my maps feels cheaty for 2 reasons

1) I can put it where-ever I want, i know where its location is; kills the random gen mystery

2) map editing a game im playing or about to play. Ill be able to see the locations of everything else too while im looking

to put in my prefab.

My thought is this:

- create prefab

- check box in prefab editor that reads something like [ ] Allow prefab in random maps

- fill in a few boxes and drops downs "prefab type" and "chance to spawn" and maybe "biome selection IE: all, winter, wasteland, etc"

- then check box in "new game" when making a new random map  [ ] Use custom prefabs in this map

(optional?) and maybe. just maybe a box "[ ] this prefab is a trader"

- if it fits critera like, having the trader NPC it can spawn replacing one of the defaults.

38 minutes ago, Morloc said:

Are these drones going to function indoors?

-Morloc

you get 1 free non descriptive answer from me today... yes :)

(and seeings how i say that... some sneaky dev will change it just for kicks)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 6/14/2021 at 8:28 PM, samljer said:

I have a question

Would it be possible to add a check box in the prefab creator so we can save our own custom prefabs

in a way that would allow them to be used in random generated maps?

Having to go in, and purposely drop them in my maps feels cheaty for 2 reasons

1) I can put it where-ever I want, i know where its location is; kills the random gen mystery

2) map editing a game im playing or about to play. Ill be able to see the locations of everything else too while im looking

to put in my prefab.

My thought is this:

- create prefab

- check box in prefab editor that reads something like [ ] Allow prefab in random maps

- fill in a few boxes and drops downs "prefab type" and "chance to spawn" and maybe "biome selection IE: all, winter, wasteland, etc"

- then check box in "new game" when making a new random map  [ ] Use custom prefabs in this map

(optional?) and maybe. just maybe a box "[ ] this prefab is a trader"

- if it fits critera like, having the trader NPC it can spawn replacing one of the defaults.

You can make a modlet to add the prefab to random gen with alpha 19. No need to add them by hand. Ah... I recall now that the problem is that modlets aren't loaded at the time the world is generated. I seem to recall some change in that regard, though.

Edited by dcsobral (see edit history)