madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

3 hours ago, madmole said:

I'll just move cooking to whatever attribute I'm playing each month just to piss everyone off :)

Lmao!

Posted (edited)

Hi again @faatal. Seems like I spoke too soon. There are freezes. Quite a few of them. Music turned OFF improved things quite a bit in many cases, though not as much as I expected .  Most of the freezes happen before Warnings regarding blocks PLUS sleeper spawning of several entities in SEVERAL POIS at a time. Seems like it's not as cheap as you make it sound or there might be an issue in timing in the spawning of the volumes between more than 1 POI.

FULL WIPE B178 NEW RWG MAP:

I always have a drop of 25 to 58 fps when 3 or more volumes are involved (from different POIS it seems), and it seems to me that their spawn is, in many cases, simultaneous or at least very close together. It affects several POIS spawning at the same time, like when walking through a road with houses at both sides and is  aggravated by the loading and unloading blocks (those that ALWAYS generate block warnings like in this screenshot): 

Spoiler

20200811000027_1.thumb.jpg.33188fb68cd82d4af52a21d74d06ac9a.jpg

More feedback: FPS bumbs or freezes NEVER happen in this situation:

Walking through biomes with common assets (nests, trees, plants, burned stumps). Mountains drop fps, but is quite negligible.

FPS bumps happen in these situations:

1-Loading and unloading of elements generating warnings regarding blocks missing harcoded properties ("no chunk for position" warning)  or losing elements through the world or failing to spawn some elements due to unloading/reloading of the chunk also generates bumps. 

2-Sleeper spawning happening either simultaneously or very close in time and sometimes in ridiculously high numbers, resulting in bumbs that can even generate a big freeze of  a few seconds. Happens in places with many POIS. 

-On a sidenote, if there's only ONE POI the bumb is unlikely to happen, so that's a clue.  That means that sleeper spawning volumes of a city don't take into account the volumes as a whole, but per POI.

A nice fix would be to make the game perceive all the POIS in an area and activate the sleeper volume progressively and in order of approach without stepping on another POI spawning "sequence". I really don't know how spawning is supposed to work on multiple POIS but my guess is that this case is not supported and  it's causing the drops. It also happens when an Horde + sleeper spawn occur, as they can also be simultaneous. They shouldn't  be.

Spoiler

20200810234907_1.thumb.jpg.a43c27b249c42d469286f407f29e5e57.jpg20200807070436_1.thumb.jpg.86505017f7e2147183d28b60be225178.jpg

There are a few buildings next to those . 

-Block warnings: Something is happening in the Wasteland. The iron croses produce the "no chunk for position" warning and there's also cars, couches etc suffering from it.

(first screenshot is a repetition of the first one in this post)

Spoiler

20200810234735_1.thumb.jpg.89659b19447d5e3d9599f1f8bc0869b2.jpg20200811000027_1.thumb.jpg.33188fb68cd82d4af52a21d74d06ac9a.jpg20200807070238_1.thumb.jpg.26219dd034824f636104ab16281df912.jpg

FPS go to 2 for 3 seconds or so before the warnings and then recover just AFTER the notifications. 

Music is off, and yet sometimes I keep seeing things like " INF Stopped Suspense" like in that last screenshot. Weird. Maybe my fault in that one.

I hope that helps!! Have a nice day!

Edited by Blake_ (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, madmole said:

Not happening for A19. We are giving each weapon their own mod models built into the original mesh though, so eventually as we rework stuff they will not only align, but look custom built for each weapon.

Wow MM you guys are going all out. That sounds fantastic. Thanks for the reply

2 hours ago, madmole said:

LOL no. You get pipe guns and we're done. 4 tiers of firearms is insane IMO. We'll have legendary versions on top of it all yet at some point.

lol fair enough, i had to ask, i can't wait to see legendary armor, tools and weapons, though are they going to have sweet names, funny names, named after your development team so everyone has to pick an item to get named after, i hope for funny names that will make people at least smile

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Vechs said:

Any thoughts on the Huntsman skill?

I think it should be a 3 rank perk (33->66->100%) instead of the 5 ranks (20,40,60,80,100%). (The farming perk is 3 ranks and gives way more stuff.)

Or maybe be merged with the animal tracking skill?

The current iteration of what you get out of it for 5 skill points seems a little flaccid.

Might want to have Trader Jen take a look. She could probably fix you right up, with your umm...huntsMAN skill.

Edit: or Snowdog, your choice.

Edited by Dethar (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Laz Man said:

You forgot to mention it would be challenging to animate a dog climbing a ladder... Didn't fallout get around that since they had instanced dungeons so climbing animations were never needed? 

They don't have ladders, just stairs and ramps, and teleport doors.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@madmole

Are invisible arrows already fixed for next release? If so I may just wait to play or play my static a19 b177. Side note "How the hell did invisible arrows make it through pre-testing?"

Edited by P3rf3ctVZer0
Adding (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, P3rf3ctVZer0 said:

@madmole

Are invisible arrows already fixed for next release? If so I may just wait to play or play my static a19 b177.

Yes.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, P3rf3ctVZer0 said:

@madmole

Are invisible arrows already fixed for next release? If so I may just wait to play or play my static a19 b177. Side note "How the hell did invisible arrows make it through pre-testing?"

id hazard a guess that when they fixed the invisible hands caused by the military gloves it somehow messed up the arrows, i was having loading issues with the crossbow in b177 so its possible

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Gr.o.m. said:

Man I hope the can fix the quest system. Atm 3 out of 5 quests (tier 5) are not worth the efford. Most of time I cannot find the last missing zombies. I mean you waste 2 and half day on the skyscrapere and have to quit the clear quest because hordnight is comming. Just a waste of time.

I hope they reduce the number of t5 quests to 2 per trader and add more t4-t1 quests. Better to drive 2km for a t4 and can get it done in a day.

Is this on A19, though?

One thing i would find interesting is if for a tier 5 quest, maybe have it set in two different lower pois, one task in one and one in another (i know it would be a pain to code im sure) but it could open it up a little more with sometimes being less of a hastle lol

10 hours ago, meganoth said:

It would be quite easy actually. Too easy. At the current damage potential of the zombies they could never breach a double concrete wall if every zombie attacked a different spot. So at a minimum their block damage has to be increased. Much damage all around the walls means that every horde night then needs 2 days of mining and boring repairs afterwards.

The random attacks on your fort was like that not too long ago. 

Eventually, repairing would take the better part of a day and it stopped being fun.

Now, I can make a Heat/Horde base all in one, with perimeter walls out to the limits of the LCB.

I can fight a horde without spending all my ammo or spending all day repairing!

BM nights are fun, even when you get several Demolishers.  You have to shoot carefully and place your sledge turrets on their left, so they tend to not explode them.  Still two have exploded, one right under me, I'm like "Wha-, wha- ... WOW!"  😄

3 hours ago, khzmusik said:

I don't know if it's just me, but I also noticed that the compound bow sights seem to be broken in this update. You don't see any arrow being slotted, and when you zoom you just see the bow model without any arrow model. Then again I'm playing a save game from the previous build, so maybe that's just one of those things that breaks if you don't start a new save each build.

So your BOW seems to be BROKEN. A BROKEN BOW........😁 Yes that seems to be going around.

48 minutes ago, Gazz said:

Is this on A19, though?

Jepp. Skyscraper. But I must admit, that I did not follow the path through the POI. I creared out a way though the stairway to bring down loot into a chest at the lobby.

Probably causing zombies to despawn. We also did not wipe the game instead only updating to the latest version.  That could also be a reason.

4 hours ago, khzmusik said:

I don't know if it's just me, but I also noticed that the compound bow sights seem to be broken in this update. You don't see any arrow being slotted, and when you zoom you just see the bow model without any arrow model. Then again I'm playing a save game from the previous build, so maybe that's just one of those things that breaks if you don't start a new save each build.

Fresh save and my fiancé and I are having the same problem with the primitive bow

15 hours ago, madmole said:

We are just not willing to push new stuff in when large sectors of the game are completely unpolished and need optimized and improved.

There is character R&D going on right now for new player outfits that replaces UMA. It just *MIGHT* work for bandits too so once players are overhauled then we can decide if bandits are skinned meshes like zombies, or assembled parts via pieces after the new player clothing/armor system is completed we can do some stress tests and see and make the right calls. Then bandits can sort of fall out of the character system instead of a separate effort.

Fair enough! I'm just a bit disappointed to see them being postponed every time.

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, Eighmy_Lupin said:

Fresh save and my fiancé and I are having the same problem with the primitive bow

Sounds like its going to be a big OPERATION to fix 😁

40 minutes ago, Gr.o.m. said:

Jepp. Skyscraper. But I must admit, that I did not follow the path through the POI. I creared out a way though the stairway to bring down loot into a chest at the lobby.

Probably causing zombies to despawn. We also did not wipe the game instead only updating to the latest version.  That could also be a reason.

I noticed some time not all the time we now get a indicator on the compass showing us where the last zombie is.

Not sure why it’s only

sometimes I get these in quests though. Maybe tied to specific quest types, though any clear quest this would make sense as much as the locate and grab ones with the crates which do always show up on compass. 

Posted (edited)

Any way/chance we can get the music selector to back off on Homeday/Homenight a bit? I like keeping the music on low because the ambiance it provides is great, but one step into the radius of the bedroll and it's instant, never-ending Homeday/night until you leave or a horde shows up lol.

Btw doing a run in the wastelands. @madmole you were not lying about it's practically a biome of hordenight, sheesh lol. Day 2 at night hiding in some rubble throwing rocks hoping the 18-pack of ferals (including 2 wights and a cop) wouldn't see me (8 actually ran right past me at one point in front of me chasing a rock I threw). Been a while since I held my breath and my heart raced a bit in the game :) Horde night lasted until 2:45am on my day 7 too lol -- more of all of this in the wastelands plz.

Edited by Jugginator (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Trekkan said:

That's great and all (and it is!), but... doesn't change anything when it comes to the crafting, or lack of needing to craft.

I personally look at the crafting part of the perk as just that, a perk. I choose my perks because they give me the ability to: A, mine faster and get more resources. B, do more damage.

So for me, once I get a better tool/weapon than I can craft, I just don't care that much because I didn't to begin with.

3 hours ago, Gazz said:

Is this on A19, though?

I get 4 of the 5 quest as tier 5 often.

Additionally and I don't know if its been mentioned or fixed somewhere is:

If you log out while on a quest, everything is reset (loot, zombies).  So in particular POI's its game breaking.  I only found this out when my wife kept asking for help when I was clearing the Red Mesa, which takes some time and has crazy loot.

Posted (edited)

I just read someone from the Steam forum talking about different kind of death penalties.

One idea that I think is great is having some time pass after you die.

Imagine if after death you simply skip one full day: it would be a serious handicap toward getting ready for the next blood moon.

Maybe in case it's exactly the day just before BM this could skip you directly a few hours before it (e.g.: to 19:00).

That would be a nasty penalty to get, more than anything TFP have come up with until now... 😈

Edit : FYI the context was about people dying to skip the injuries penalty.

Edited by Jost Amman (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

I just read someone from the Steam forum talking about different kind of death penalties.

One idea that I think is great is having some time pass after you die.

Imagine if after death you simply skip one full day: it would be a serious handicap toward getting ready for the next blood moon.

Maybe in case it's exactly the day just before BM this could skip you directly a few hours before it (e.g.: to 19:00).

That would be a nasty penalty to get, more than anything TFP have come up with until now... 😈

Edit : FYI the context was about people dying to skip the injuries penalty.

1 day sounds too harsh.  Maybe half a day and it would only work in SP obviously....

Little feedback on zombie Sleeper Spawns popping in when they shouldn't.

Was clearing a house, coming down some stairs, across the room there was one of the zombie closets (single block wide).

I crouched, shot a crossbow bolt to break the door (it did), nothing inside.

Came down last couple steps, turned to look left and right real quick, looking forward there's a zombie stepping out of the closet.

Not 'coming my way', I saw her step down out of the closet that had been empty when I shot the door.

I'm running vid qual at lowest, so could well be an edge case due to this.