Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

1 hour ago, STyK_ said:

I would like another 16gb of ram on top of what I have but thats really streaming specs, not really needed. Yeah I just play on 1920x1080.

How are you getting good fps with that?

im playing on the same res, with TWO 1080Ti's in sli mode, and a I7-7700k, and during a big horde, it's so laggy..

Oh, AND 64 Gb of ddr4 ram..

3 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

How are you getting good fps with that?

im playing on the same res, with TWO 1080Ti's in sli mode, and a I7-7700k, and during a big horde, it's so laggy..

Well, to be fair SLI generally isn't good for gaming unless the devs of the game specifically optimizes for it (hence the lack of support IMO, not many people go that route since it's a pain to get configured correctly).

2 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

I can't say was pretty much about to ask the same thing but watch my test vid horde night, its proof, and I'm recording. Its my very first vid.

Yeah, I use shadow play to record as well, but it only seems to shave 4-5 fps off the top.

I mean really.. My system clocks a solid 50fps in downtown boston in FO4, and thats known as a fps killer to begin with.

6 minutes ago, STyK_ said:

I think that depends on how many zeds, how many waves, think world war z numbers. I try to stop them from pathing by making a solid defense in all directions. Makes it feel more realistic to me then the zed meat grinder pit which I definitely did before you guys changed the pathing, then it became too easy, you basically just added a conveyor belt. Anyway just wanted to know if it was possible after you said that.

I'm just a player, who are you calling YOU GUYS?? 😀

Anyway if faatal finds the time and inspiration to reply to your question then you'll have the official answer from TFP.

Just now, Demandred1957 said:

Yeah, I use shadow play to record as well, but it only seems to shave 4-5 fps off the top.

I mean really.. My system clocks a solid 50fps in downtown boston in FO4, and thats known as a fps killer to begin with.

I use obs.

2 minutes ago, Jugginator said:

Well, to be fair SLI generally isn't good for gaming unless the devs of the game specifically optimizes for it (hence the lack of support IMO, not many people go that route since it's a pain to get configured correctly).

A pain? I thought it was easy really.. Hardest thing was getting the two cards to play nice with each other when I over clocked them.

Since no two cards will oc the same, it took a bit of juggling with the power lvls etc before they were stable.

36 minutes ago, Jost Amman said:

Not quite, faatal mentioned once that AI pathing is the real problem... the more entities you have the more processing power you need.

That's why we can't have hundreds of zombies at the same time all "pathing" around. :ballchain:

OK, but by "this case" I'm talking about why things are fine for me (and for STyK_) with these settings, but not for MM and others. I have an i9 which might be a difference, but I highly doubt Unity takes advantage of all my cores. I'm not talking about the general case that affects the low end the most.

3 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

A pain? I thought it was easy really.. Hardest thing was getting the two cards to play nice with each other when I over clocked them.

Since no two cards will oc the same, it took a bit of juggling with the power lvls etc before they were stable.

Some games like SLI more games don't, and your CPU does have to work a little bit harder in that mode. Maybe try non-SLI and see the difference

1 hour ago, STyK_ said:

This is definitely a recipe for fun most people don't get. More would even be better as the game goes on but the game has limits. Even if it had 'sleeper zeds' designed just to throw themselves at your defenses and die instantly to make you feel overwhelmed. I'd turn up horde night frequency before I'd go to 1 hour days. I also don't see how you could do 25% loot on anything less then 2hr days, you'd have to be MM lucky.

I leave it on ultra, 1080ti 8gb can handle it and I'm recording.

25% loot is very nice. Less stuff helps with inventory management. It makes the game feel more realistic by making almost everything empty early game. It also slows down item progression, but not much, as trader rewards are still OP. 

I always leave it on ultra. PUBG settings. Potato Ultra Blaster Gaming settings.

26 minutes ago, Blake_ said:

25% loot is very nice. Less stuff helps with inventory management. It makes the game feel more realistic by making almost everything empty early game. It also slows down item progression, but not much, as trader rewards are still OP. 

That's actually the only thing I don't like about low loot percentages (the number of empty containers). It drives me mad opening and opening and not getting anything.
For instance, let's say normally some hypothetical container had 20 paper, 20 9mm, and 12 dukes. If I drop it to 25% it doesn't seem to work in a way such that it now would contain 5 paper, 5 9mm, and 3 dukes. It seems to either have one of these stacks or nothing at all.
That is of course, unless things have changed... I haven't tried 25% on this alpha

29 minutes ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

OK, but by "this case" I'm talking about why things are fine for me (and for STyK_) with these settings, but not for MM and others. I have an i9 which might be a difference, but I highly doubt Unity takes advantage of all my cores. I'm not talking about the general case that affects the low end the most.

That is a mystery only faatal can solve 😁

39 minutes ago, Pegasus said:

Hey, this was posted on the steam discussion boards ... is it credible? Is it on track so that it is possible that it might happen?  Baring zombies in the computers or gremlins eating someone's face? 

image.png.7ded58dc5ecf2b91336d44322113b90e.png

When it's done. That is certainly possible but nobody has a crystal ball.

39 minutes ago, Galifrey1965 said:

Don't care what way it works, it's still a dumb idea :D

Injuries persisting through death, now that is a proper penalty that works for SP and MP.

Welcome to the party... too late.

Also, no need to get personal and throw insults around... someone might say the same for your idea. 😉

1 hour ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

That's actually the only thing I don't like about low loot percentages (the number of empty containers). It drives me mad opening and opening and not getting anything.
For instance, let's say normally some hypothetical container had 20 paper, 20 9mm, and 12 dukes. If I drop it to 25% it doesn't seem to work in a way such that it now would contain 5 paper, 5 9mm, and 3 dukes. It seems to either have one of these stacks or nothing at all.
That is of course, unless things have changed... I haven't tried 25% on this alpha

That's the problem with percentages. With 25% you have a 25% chance of getting an item That means 25% of the default chance of getting, say, an egg, which is already low. That leaves you with no eggs. THERE. No omelet for you.

2 hours ago, STyK_ said:

Just a suggestion. Would it be possible to just turn off pathing for horde night and have hundreds of enraged zeds just charging straight at your base from all sides. I get they want the player to die but if the defense and base are destroyed the player is too. Make them target something like the landclaim block which is normally in the middle of my base. I know there are scenarios this would not work in but is it possible? @faatal

I would guess that you might make pathing cheaper by calculating shorter paths. But I'm sure you can't simply turn off pathing completely, because even if the zombie wants to go in a straight line to you it needs to navigate around or over pillars, walls or blocks, needs to ascend an incline, ...

Archived