Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

2 hours ago, madmole said:

We're not doing new features that only work in single player. Delete all on death and you'll have a more interesting challenge replacing your gear, and that lost day will be nothing in comparison.

Thanks, but it wasn't for me... I'd never suicide to skip something in the game.

But I get your point, when I first thought about this I only focused on how I play (SP)... I guess that's why you're a successful game dev and I'm just a player. 😉

21 hours ago, Pegasus said:

You guys crack me up.

Gimmie the junk drone!!!  Gimmie the junk drone!!!!  GIVE ME THE JUNK DRONE!!!!!!  NOW!!!!!

(early release of the junk drone ... in experimental version...)

WTF???  We hate the junk drone, you guys suck!!!

SMH.  

There has been no release of the junk drone in experimental.... So no one said we hate it....

1 hour ago, Laz Man said:

I think one of the problems are some players are OCD and every single block must be repaired to mint condition in order for them to be satisfied.  If they can't reach a block because it took damage through another block, they can't sleep at night until they burrow through and repair it... 🤣

My brother's friend upgraded one of his base blocks to steel  by accident and he literally could not rest until he upgraded everything else around it to match......

Oh well that seems pretty OCD. I'd think that explosions wouldn't touch them tbh, but if you have multiple walls deep I wouldn't worry about it anyway if your outer and inner blocks are pristine. If one of those gets broke, repair the stuff behind... or use the arrow slot blocks, etc.

20 hours ago, Demandred1957 said:

I would rather have the tamable wolf that was shown off a long time ago.

A second rate Dogmeat that could pack 30-40 lbs, and help you to fight sounds a lot more appealing to me than a drone.

What happened to the tamable wolf that was talked about in the past apparently?

I would take that over a drone any day.

Pathing would be a nightmare on a wolf as a companion. How the hell is he gonna climb a ladder with you and it not look like absolute crap? That's why they went with a flying companion.

A second rate Dogmeat that could pack 30-40 lbs, and help you to fight sounds a lot more appealing to me than a drone.

Pathing would be a nightmare on a wolf as a companion. How the hell is he gonna climb a ladder with you and it not look like absolute crap? That's why they went with a flying companion.

1 hour ago, Deadmeat said:

I've noticed. I'm day 40 and I've been hitting 3 traders every 3 days since week 1. Not one crucible for sale. 

You'll probably need to max secret stash to find one at a trader. They are leveled and don't drop early game in loot also.

1 hour ago, STyK_ said:

my problem is 25% loot and no barter perks. Yeah if your not seeing it with perks with the traders current state that could be an issue. I guess see how long it takes if you even find one to buy.

I have one and I can't even craft a forge lol. I found it in loot in a tool box.

44 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

The four skyscrapers can spawn in RWG, but they are incredibly rare.

Also, you're forgetting the T5 Apartment Building of Death. ;)

Isn't that a tier 4 like the Crack A' Book Tower? I could have sworn the fetch and clears I got for it were Tier 4.

28 minutes ago, Ezed said:

Vanilla yes.  First time I've seen any Tier 5 other than Apartment, Shamway or Messiah in a random world.  It was nice for a change.

Edit: Oh ya, Hospital...I've seen one or two but haven't had a quest send me there in a long time.

I'm aware they show up in Random Gen, I've never gotten quests involving them.

46 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

🤨Vanilla? I don't remember any tier 5s outside of the two factories (Shamway and Shotgun Messiah) and the hospital having quests involving them in vanilla.

1 hour ago, Ezed said:

Magnum is Tier 2?  Where does the SMG slot in there?

I have  a question regarding vehicles.   When they get some attention will we have the option to drive in first person?  I think it;s so much more immersive (I've been a driving simulator guy for a long time).  I know I can drive in first person with God mode enabled, but an option to switch between the two would be very appreciated.

SMG is t3. Not sure if that is even planned. When we go to polish them up for gold we might try it out and see.

1 hour ago, meganoth said:

People often don't follow the path and destroy some doors to get somewhere fast, sometimes zombies make new ways. Sometimes people don't see how the path continues and destroy a door to continue. Lots of ways for the one true path being replaced by a labyrinth. Combine that with a few rooms where you actually need to destroy a door to get inside and find a zombie. And combine that with players with a rudimentary sense of direction who couldn't find their way out of a caravan 😉. But still think they are entitled to get the reward after failing the simple task of following a marked path.

In my opinion only the few places where you need to use an axe to get to a room with a zombie inside and the other thing with empty rooms where zombies don't spawn if you don't actually go inside are problems TFP is responsible for.

The shortcuts are there for exiting after you have arrived at the end of a dungeon, not for going up. Not sure if you are ironic here or need a hard hit with the clue bat 😉

I think there is an improvement ticket on making the side path zombies not part of the objective requirement.

50 minutes ago, MechanicalLens said:

The four skyscrapers can spawn in RWG, but they are incredibly rare.

Also, you're forgetting the T5 Apartment Building of Death. ;)

The apartment is cake. I've never done Higashi it never spawns for me. It seems to me I get shotgun messiah, shamway, and apartments. Nothing else ever spawns.

I always imagined a robot like Codsworth in fallout would work good as a companion in the late game here and one of the many things he could be used for tell him repair all and give him material to fix all base blocks slowly over time as he floats around base.

11 minutes ago, madmole said:

SMG is t3. Not sure if that is even planned. When we go to polish them up for gold we might try it out and see.

OK, thanks!  I'll keep my fingers crossed you try driving in first person it and love it :)

3 minutes ago, Divardican said:

I always imagined a robot like Codsworth in fallout would work good as a companion in the late game here and one of the many things he could be used for tell him repair all and give him material to fix all base blocks slowly over time as he floats around base.

Sounds like fun, but I don't think that level of tech is reached during the timeline of this game.
In fact, I don't think zombies would have been an apocalyptic threat with tech like that available.
To control a drone to do a single repair, maybe.

Just now, JCrook1028 said:

Dev stream comment fields.

Well I watched all of them and didn't see that. I did see a huge wall of drone critics.
Either way, "no one said we hate it" is incorrect. A lot of people did. This doesn't mean it won't be good when they're done, of course. It just means that  Pegasus's reaction to people wanting the drone but also criticizing it as laughable is indeed a reasonable reaction.

29 minutes ago, madmole said:

The apartment is cake. I've never done Higashi it never spawns for me. It seems to me I get shotgun messiah, shamway, and apartments. Nothing else ever spawns.

For navezgane it should be fixed.  There was a bug in A18 that limited T5 quests to the one you mentioned (plus the hospital).

All of the towers and red mesa (T4) should now show up as available quests on the Nav map.

2 hours ago, madmole said:

I'd have to see the base before and after horde night shots, and know what your settings are on before I could ever believe what you are saying. Maybe if its some dumb ramp cheese trap base design that is a house of cards or something, but not a proper normal "tower defense" base.

My apologies. 64 alive (a must for me) and Warrior diff. 120 min days (very long horde nights ). So I think you might be right. I've been playing that for so long that I don't tell apart default from customized settings. I only do default for testing. On 2 hour days it takes 1 hour to hour and a half to repair a normal 20x20x15 base on day 27 (54 hours in).

A big base should theoretically take about the same time to repair with 1 hour days and 64 Zds alive within the same timeframe (half way into the game). I mean 64 alive is awesome and thrilling every single time. Should check the data to see how many people actually play more than 8 alive. It would be interesting . This game is crazy fun with more entities. PERFORMANCE though.... more than 32 alive can knock -even if just a bit- on any system's door.

Archived