madmole

Alpha 19 Dev Diary

5 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

I would rather have the tamable wolf that was shown off a long time ago.

A second rate Dogmeat that could pack 30-40 lbs, and help you to fight sounds a lot more appealing to me than a drone.

What happened to the tamable wolf that was talked about in the past apparently?

I would take that over a drone any day.

There is a reason Dogmeat was immortal in Fallout 4 as in Fallout 3 he was not and would always die leading to trauma. Which people complained about far more then any other companion and got so bad that they had to add a perk called Puppies! to the game in a expansion. Which would cause a new baby Dogmeat to spawn out side Vault 101 each time Dogmeat died.

Dogs = attachment

Robots = Death

2 hours ago, faatal said:

You can turn music off. I play almost all games with music off, so have not noticed it in 7dtd.

Actually I noticed in the console when you turn music off it still plays/rotates through the music selection manager, maybe tell him to disable it when music is off?

@faatal For the next beta update in A19 could you fellas fix the misaligned mods on guns such as scopes, lasers, lights, silencers....

Alot of them are ether fused into the gun or just floating

13 minutes ago, Demandred1957 said:

A second rate Dogmeat that could pack 30-40 lbs, and help you to fight sounds a lot more appealing to me than a drone.

I definitely want the drone, but the wolf would be cool too. I haven't heard anything about it for ages; I have a vague recollection of someone saying it would take too much dev time they wanted to spend on other things. But I could be mistaken, and I take lengthy breaks from the game/forum from time to time, so I might have missed things.

I'm still holding out hope for more advanced crafting stations, like say industrial forges that can smelt more than 2 materials at a time. They would require electricity, etc. Don't know if TFP will find time for it, but here's hoping!

The drone would be really cool.

Man I hope the can fix the quest system. Atm 3 out of 5 quests (tier 5) are not worth the efford. Most of time I cannot find the last missing zombies. I mean you waste 2 and half day on the skyscrapere and have to quit the clear quest because hordnight is comming. Just a waste of time.

I hope they reduce the number of t5 quests to 2 per trader and add more t4-t1 quests. Better to drive 2km for a t4 and can get it done in a day.

4 minutes ago, Gr.o.m. said:

The drone would be really cool.

Man I hope the can fix the quest system. Atm 3 out of 5 quests (tier 5) are not worth the efford. Most of time I cannot find the last missing zombies. I mean you waste 2 and half day on the skyscrapere and have to quit the clear quest because hordnight is comming. Just a waste of time.

I hope they reduce the number of t5 quests to 2 per trader and add more t4-t1 quests. Better to drive 2km for a t4 and can get it done in a day.

You should set BM every 14 days then...

1 hour ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

Every tree should have a special cooking recipe that gives boosts relative to that tree.  Can't get any more balanced than that.

IMO, there should just be a "Health and Wellness' tree with things like Master Chef, Cardio, Sexy T-Rex, Iron Gut, etc, etc, etc.  with those governed by any of the Specialized trees...so if you have say 5 points in Strength or Agility, etc...you can buy relevant perks in H&W up to Level 5.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, smokingpaper said:

Why is master chef under strength and not under fortitude for example??
I don't get why you need to be strong to cook some food. 
Is this a popeye sailorman thingy?
image.png.e24288ede5ff0e5fb3469e951d874d44.png

Mining needs calories, sledgehammers need calories. Strength needs a way to recover HP.... fortitude doesn't use any calories and he heals instantly without bandages.

7 hours ago, Roland said:

When Madmole played his strength build for the first time he didn’t like having to invest in a different attribute to raise cooking.... ;)

Careful buddy my fridge throwing days are back.

3 hours ago, enragedcamel said:

Maybe this is a bit premature but do we know what is in stock for A20?

Vehicle mods?

Bandits?

End-game boss?

None of the above.

• Haha 1
  • Knuckle Rub 1

So with regards to weapons, are we also going to get tier 5 and 6 weapons?

As in we are getting pipe pistols for tier 0 weapons, we have up to i believe tier 4, are we going to round it out to 6 different types for each if possible or is it pretty much almost done?

1 hour ago, AtomicUs5000 said:

Every tree should have a special cooking recipe that gives boosts relative to that tree.  Can't get any more balanced than that.

I'll just move cooking to whatever attribute I'm playing each month just to piss everyone off :)

1 hour ago, Demandred1957 said:

Take a close look at the pathing of any 4 legged animal in the game inside houses. We can't compete with dogmeat, they mocapped dogs and spent probably 2 million just developing animal turning / mocap. We can do a drone though.

So basically we don't want to ship something that looks like crap and will take 2 years dev time and still might not pass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, madmole said:

I'll just move cooking to whatever attribute I'm playing each month just to piss everyone off :)

that would certainly keep us on our toes, like my new run in the game, playing a way i did not every play before, but finding it oddly managable

1 hour ago, Jost Amman said:

You should set BM every 14 days then...

BM is fun. Se same T5 quest locations over and over again, and bugged are not fun.

Better no quests than no-fun-quests.

19 hours ago, Gazz said:

That's already in experimental.

@Gazz  I think the issue is it doesn't trigger til you're a certain amount completed in the quest, and it's not triggering soon enough.  Is there any way it could be triggered a little earlier?  Like about 75% completed?  

It's an awesome mechanic when it triggers, it's very helpful in finding the last little sneaky hiders ... but only if you can progress far enough for it to trigger.  And with some of the bigger, more complex POIs, that's a bit of a challenge.  People are finding the higher tier quests not as fun/worth the time and effort to complete ... or are unable to complete them entirely.

1 hour ago, madmole said:

So basically we don't want to ship something that looks like crap and will take 2 years dev time and still might not pass.

So basically what you are saying is that you are going to put the Charisma attribute in the game and have it all about dance fighting and controlling zombies like Micheal Jacksons Moonwalker meets Thriller. 

Just one question... will Annie be okay?

• Confused 1
  • Poop 1

9 hours ago, meganoth said:

Oh, you poor poor man. So you specced into shotguns crafting perk and now it is completely useless (EXCEPT FOR THAT TOTALLY USELESS 100% DAMAGE INCREASE!!!!!!!!!!). 😉

That's great and all (and it is!), but... doesn't change anything when it comes to the crafting, or lack of needing to craft.

3 hours ago, BobbyLee298 said:

@faatal For the next beta update in A19 could you fellas fix the misaligned mods on guns such as scopes, lasers, lights, silencers....

Not happening for A19. We are giving each weapon their own mod models built into the original mesh though, so eventually as we rework stuff they will not only align, but look custom built for each weapon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, BobbyLee298 said:

I don't know if it's just me, but I also noticed that the compound bow sights seem to be broken in this update. You don't see any arrow being slotted, and when you zoom you just see the bow model without any arrow model. Then again I'm playing a save game from the previous build, so maybe that's just one of those things that breaks if you don't start a new save each build.

2 hours ago, madmole said:

lol, actually I'm ok with that. I don't mind moving around myself.

2 hours ago, Phoenixshade35 said:

So with regards to weapons, are we also going to get tier 5 and 6 weapons?

As in we are getting pipe pistols for tier 0 weapons, we have up to i believe tier 4, are we going to round it out to 6 different types for each if possible or is it pretty much almost done?

LOL no. You get pipe guns and we're done. 4 tiers of firearms is insane IMO. We'll have legendary versions on top of it all yet at some point.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, meganoth said:

If you are not exxagerating here that would be a bug or a monumental streak of bad luck. I looted the small book-poi at the corner of the row of small shops and if I remember correctly the ~10 book shelves got me maybe 2 books. Less than the older book shelves for sure. To be sure someone would have to check the xmls (I can't at the moment).

Your result seem way more reasonable. I guess it just my bad luck then.

9 hours ago, meganoth said:

Honestly 10 loot gamestage at the start of the game has a far larger impact than 10 zombie gamestage, the difficulty increase is felt only sporadically when the number of dogs in a random dog horde is calculated 😉.

Which is kind of the point. Like I explained in my follow on post, I'm finding the early game too slow for my tastes, so was considering how best to speed it up some. Bumping GS seemed like the best give and take. Also I figured why not, maybe there's something to the general concept that might offer an Option_not-Option (not a starting game Option like XP % dial, but an in-game small case 'option').

I'm by no means certain I'm even close to having the right numbers here but to compare;

Default XP 100%: say Day 7 you're Level 14, GS = 21

Bump XP Gain to 150%: Day 7 lvl 21, GS = 28

--100% XP, use one GS boost: Day 7 lvl 14, GS = 31

Compared to using the 150% XP Gain Option, using the GS boost you're 7 levels behind and GS is 3 higher. I personally think I'll like this better than upping XP %.

**I'm honestly glad that others are finding the longer primitive stage enjoyable.

I'm not trying to change it, I'm looking for a way to speed it up a bit that doesn't impact vanilla.

10 hours ago, meganoth said:

And artificial internal values like gamestage should normally not be pulled into the limelight if you want to keep some immersion alive and dissuade people from meta-gaming.

Fair point. Since referring to GS is so common in videos and the forums it's easy to forget that some new players, or even non YT watching forum going old timers, may not even be aware of what gamestage is.

Anyway, it's available via console so I'm good. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madmole said:

Take a close look at the pathing of any 4 legged animal in the game inside houses. We can't compete with dogmeat, they mocapped dogs and spent probably 2 million just developing animal turning / mocap. We can do a drone though.

You forgot to mention it would be challenging to animate a dog climbing a ladder... Didn't fallout get around that since they had instanced dungeons so climbing animations were never needed? 

7 hours ago, Jost Amman said:

For wandering hordes that would be fun I guess, but for the Blood Moon hordes it would be a disaster IMO.

Imagine having to plan a base that can virtually be attacked from every side! It'd be a builder's nightmare lol

heh heh, made me think of this bit from Steve Martins masterpiece Roxanne;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x66kQ_osGfM

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

You forgot to mention it would be challenging to animate a dog climbing a ladder... Didn't fallout get around that since they had instanced dungeons so climbing animations were never needed? 

I got a ton of hours into Fallout 4, but rarely used Dogmeat. But I am pretty sure he could easily climb stairs, dont know if there ARE any ladders in game though..Been a while since I played it.

Posted (edited)

Any thoughts on the Huntsman skill?

I think it should be a 3 rank perk (33->66->100%) instead of the 5 ranks (20,40,60,80,100%). (The farming perk is 3 ranks and gives way more stuff.)

Or maybe be merged with the animal tracking skill?

The current iteration of what you get out of it for 5 skill points seems a little flaccid.

Edited by Vechs (see edit history)