Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

7 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Anyone getting a sharon stone vibe from the replacement stripper WIP model shown off in last night's dev stream? 😁

Compare.jpg

She reminded me of Caprica Six from Battlestar Galactica (remake)

18 hours ago, madmole said:

I just made forest biome dogs and wolves have more HP, but they only spawn at night. Dire wolves and mountain lions are particularly nasty. This should help noobs a bit, but we can all appreciate fearing the night a bit more.

Good change; it'll actually make the game harder because the free food will no longer run up to you during the day, forcing the hunting to night where it's inherently more dangerous.  

2 hours ago, Guppycur said:

Good change; it'll actually make the game harder because the free food will no longer run up to you during the day, forcing the hunting to night where it's inherently more dangerous.  

Possibly, I don't think they die at dawn like the night zombies do, so they will persist to the next day. However in order to find one first you would have to go hunting at night on a MP server.

1 minute ago, madmole said:

Possibly, I don't think they die at dawn like the night zombies do, so they will persist to the next day. However in order to find one first you would have to go hunting at night on a MP server.

that would be nice! a harder way to get food, but will this effect all carnivores? like mountain loins?

i still think it would be nice if some animals would spawn in more biomes! bio diversity could also help with food! more things to hunt. the more things people can eat or get eatten!

3 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

@Roland When A19 releases, will there be a forum thread under General Discussions dedicated to people sharing their experiences with A19? (People chatting about what they like about the update, sharing their experiences (ex: "Hey, I just looted a new sick POI"), sharing what perk build they've gone for, etc etc.; obviously showing off bases and horde nights would go under the Images & Videos section.) Or will all of those be split off into their own threads? Or will A19 talk be discouraged? (If it's the latter, then I perfectly understand.)

(Delete this message after reading for it is off topic; apologies, but I didn't know where the appropriate forum would be where I could ask you this.)

I'm willing to bet an A19 balance feedback thread for sure.  Other then that someone will mostly create one.

I was a little disappointed with the last Q&A section of the stream.

1. TFP staff couldn't keep up with legitimate questions coming from Twitch.
2. They didn't clearly say where they read some of the questions, but it seemed like forum questions weren't considered. Equally frustrating when the forum was expressively prohibited from asking "off topic" questions, but Twitch was pretty much a $#$% show.

3. The art guys were there and it was an awesome opportunity to pick their brains, but very few questions were being directed towards them. I felt bad they were just sitting there not being a part of the stream. I really liked their presentations though. That part was good.

4. It seemed like Rick completely forgot what was covered on the last stream, so much of it was just repeated information. Prime tried to stay on topic, but Twitch is just not a good platform for Q&A. 

If the main point of these streams is to just generate hype and show off the art/mechanics/new stuff coming in A19, then I suppose it's doing the job. It would be nice if the Q&A portion got a little more love. I thought there were some excellent, relevant questions in the forum that got zero attention. There aren't that many of them. Could a dev go through and provide answers?

1 hour ago, madmole said:

I think in the future, maybe A21, you should add animal encounters to the "Event Director" you're already planning to add.

That way you could balance game food dynamically depending on how the player is doing with food. Or just in general.

26 minutes ago, XCOUNTRY said:

I was a little disappointed with the last Q&A section of the stream.

1. TFP staff couldn't keep up with legitimate questions coming from Twitch.
2. They didn't clearly say where they read some of the questions, but it seemed like forum questions weren't considered. Equally frustrating when the forum was expressively prohibited from asking "off topic" questions, but Twitch was pretty much a $#$% show.

3. The art guys were there and it was an awesome opportunity to pick their brains, but very few questions were being directed towards them. I felt bad they were just sitting there not being a part of the stream. I really liked their presentations though. That part was good.

4. It seemed like Rick completely forgot what was covered on the last stream, so much of it was just repeated information. Prime tried to stay on topic, but Twitch is just not a good platform for Q&A. 

If the main point of these streams is to just generate hype and show off the art/mechanics/new stuff coming in A19, then I suppose it's doing the job. It would be nice if the Q&A portion got a little more love. I thought there were some excellent, relevant questions in the forum that got zero attention. There aren't that many of them. Could a dev go through and provide answers?

I noticed that Prime has a feature to highlight your text with a coloured background. Maybe they could ask people to use that just for legitimate questions so they would be easier to see. They cost 100 of some kind of points so for dev stream nights he may have to see if he can set it to a low amount so everyone has enough points to ask a question. Or maybe he can even set it to zero for those nights.

9 hours ago, Kalex said:

She reminded me of Caprica Six from Battlestar Galactica (remake)

You mean Number Six or Caprica or "some other names" in Battlestar Galactica (2004 - 2009 TV series). The new stripper does remind me of her (good catch!).

As for Sharon Stone like someone said... Not so much!

54 minutes ago, Gamida said:

I noticed that Prime has a feature to highlight your text with a coloured background. Maybe they could ask people to use that just for legitimate questions so they would be easier to see. They cost 100 of some kind of points so for dev stream nights he may have to see if he can set it to a low amount so everyone has enough points to ask a question. Or maybe he can even set it to zero for those nights.

Is there an option to turn the chat off except for posts that cost points? Or is there a way to give everyone enough points for just one post? TBH I've never used Twitch and have only ever watched Twitch streams after they are posted to YouTube, so I'm not sure how it all works or if what I suggested would cost money...or work at all. Twitch streams just seem waaay too busy and it takes a bit of skill to manage. The really good streamers I've watched have mastered the art of being able to respond to the chat, play their game, and stay entertaining without a ton of dead space/time--all at the same time. I think I just need to curb my expectations for these streams. 

22 hours ago, Laz Man said:

Actually wolves are mostly nocturnal animals so makes more sense.

They're actually more responsive to temperature than to light levels. Winter they are active during the day and sleep thru the cold nights. Other times thay are sleeping during the heat of the day and active dawn and dusk. Nocturnal doesn't really fit well.

22 hours ago, Mechanimal said:

Oh they showed vehicle w/upgrade concepts?! Dang, I was late to the stream and missed that part. Hopefully someone grabbed some screenshots of the concept art!

I used to want to be a Concept Artist, mainly for movies and/or comics, still am in a way just not for fictional content. The things I draw/model now get built and live in the real world. But I'm still really into it, and often work in nearly the same way and serve a very similar purpose on a team, so I'd love to see those concepts. Anything vehicle or drone related mostly, weaponry to a point(I try not to build Terminators irl, you're welcome.)

What they showed was the  "upgrade" path of the art looked like..not of the vehicle mods.

3 hours ago, madmole said:

I'm unsure of the reasoning, but chickens NEVER spawn in the forest, a biome you would definitely find chickens running around, especially with all those birds nests.

Edit: Also, I think it'll be cool if chickens gave an egg, or at least a high chance of one, when harvested with a bladed weapon/tool

1 hour ago, XCOUNTRY said:

Is there an option to turn the chat off except for posts that cost points? Or is there a way to give everyone enough points for just one post? TBH I've never used Twitch and have only ever watched Twitch streams after they are posted to YouTube, so I'm not sure how it all works or if what I suggested would cost money...or work at all. Twitch streams just seem waaay too busy and it takes a bit of skill to manage. The really good streamers I've watched have mastered the art of being able to respond to the chat, play their game, and stay entertaining without a ton of dead space/time--all at the same time. I think I just need to curb my expectations for these streams. 

What I was talking about doesn't cost money from what I saw. You got points just for being in the chat I think. When you have hundreds of people in chat it looks like it can be a chore to try and keep up and pick out the valid questions from everything that is being said.

I hope with this new Alpha, we will not see any of the old bugs reappearing... i.e.

Zombies that are sitting or flat on the floor standing right up after being shot dead.

Zombies still standing displaying idle animation but DEAD.

Zombies doing a 180 spin on the floor before they stand up.

Blood Moon lag attack.

I don't ask for much... 😛

2 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

What they showed was the  "upgrade" path of the art looked like..not of the vehicle mods.

You're right, I went back at that part of the stream and I must say I read something that wasn't there.

That being said it would still be very cool if each mod could change/improve the appearance of the vehicle in some way,,, 🙂

1 hour ago, Jay_ombie said:

Blood Moon lag attack.

This isn't a bug, it's just an engine / hardware limitation. There's only so many ways you can optimize dozens of zombies pathing around a bajillion variables to the player and damaging blocks and recalculating routes based on the newly damaged blocks etc.

I'm just excited the Shotgun Lag™ seems to be fixed in the most recent A18. It must have been fixed in one of the A18 updates, it wasn't even usable for me in the first A18 version because it would lock up the game, but I've been using it a ton in my most recent playthrough without issue

To any Dev.

Is crafting of weapons going to be adjusted. At the moment i only craft may 1 or 2 level 5 weapons per game. With looting allowing to find T6 makes crafting your own for use pointless. Thus perk point useless for the crafting side of it.

6 hours ago, Gamida said:

What I was talking about doesn't cost money from what I saw. You got points just for being in the chat I think. When you have hundreds of people in chat it looks like it can be a chore to try and keep up and pick out the valid questions from everything that is being said.

I think if they are going to take the time with making separate stream question threads for every stream: 

They should at least make the effort in answering at least some of them first, after they do their main talking points ofc.

Pick a few they want, or can, answer. 

Then, if they feel like answering more questions, open it up to stream chat.

If the streams are more about "Hype Train", then don't bother in making a question thread. Just focus on the hype talk, and move on.

Basically, don't even have a question thread, if you are not even going to attempt answering at least a couple/few of them.

Yeah, sounds a little ranty.. is what it is. There were actually a few questions in the thread, that I was interested in (not necessarily mine).  

Archived