Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

2 hours ago, Matt 1977 said:

To any Dev.

Is crafting of weapons going to be adjusted. At the moment i only craft may 1 or 2 level 5 weapons per game. With looting allowing to find T6 makes crafting your own for use pointless. Thus perk point useless for the crafting side of it.

This is pretty much the on going issue with the different opinions on balance for each play style. The two main play styles of the game are crafting builders who  build a base and mine and make most of their gear themselves, vs the ADHD run and gun kids that spend 98.9% of their time looting PoI and don't want to ever have to mine or craft. Of course there's a bit of overlap, but that overlap is just in the form of "I loot PoI to get my loot and build a base" but very few in A18 do crafters that loot, for obvious reasons.

They didn't want to lock all the good gear behind crafting, because the ADHD kids can't mine for materials and would have to spend their precious perk points on crafting skills instead of MOAR DAMAGE. So they added schematics to the game and made it so you can only get level 6 gear via traders or loot. Which kind of craps on crafting play styles  because any points put into crafting perks are wasted as you can just find a schematic instead to do the same thing. None of the crafting perks "Side bonus" are worth a perk point on their own, like 20% faster forge speed etc is just not a good perk because you can build a second forge and get double forge speed instead

Currently in A18 crafting builds are a dead meme, even as someone who has played a crafting builder focused character since like A14, there's essentially no way to craft gear in A18 faster than you could just find it. By the time you've invested all the bajillion perks needed to make a crucible and learn to make high tier steel armor etc, you would absolutely have had it 400 times faster by just playing a looter character.

ATM, level 6 gear is kind of the place holder for "Legendary" items that aren't in the game yet, so they want to make those loot / trader only, but it pretty heavily cripples you because your last mod slot is locked behind your items being level 6, and levels on items basically don't do anything at all if you don't have mods for them

A19 overhauls the skills to some degree and consolidates stuff, but we don't know any real details yet as they haven't showed the new skill trees. It seems like the focus was mainly on consolidating bad perks to make them more tempting and lowering the total amount of perks needed to max out perks that were basically only worth it at max rank like the Jump perk.

A19 will also help with the loot age changes so you aren't decked out in full steel armor with a full set of steel tools by day 9, which might give a crafting character some tiny chance of keeping up

I'm hopeful on the crafting perks being overhauled to at least be worth picking if you already have the schematic  / aren't auto "Respec" tier where you have to drink a respec potion to get your perk points back after you find a schematic, like with all of the vehicle perks.  If the perks were actually decent on their own it would help to close the gap between the two play styles where one isn't basically punished for looting until you get the schematics instead.

24 minutes ago, Khalagar said:

ATM, level 6 gear is kind of the place holder for "Legendary" items that aren't in the game yet, so they want to make those loot / trader only, but it pretty heavily cripples you because your last mod slot is locked behind your items being level 6, and levels on items basically don't do anything at all if you don't have mods for them

I've always thought 6 tiers of loot quality was an arbitrary number for a game that literally has the number 7 in the title.

...so maybe the Legendary items will add a 7th tier to the hierarchy.

3 hours ago, Tin said:

I think if they are going to take the time with making separate stream question threads for every stream: 

They should at least make the effort in answering at least some of them first, after they do their main talking points ofc.

Pick a few they want, or can, answer. 

Then, if they feel like answering more questions, open it up to stream chat.

If the streams are more about "Hype Train", then don't bother in making a question thread. Just focus on the hype talk, and move on.

Basically, don't even have a question thread, if you are not even going to attempt answering at least a couple/few of them.

Yeah, sounds a little ranty.. is what it is. There were actually a few questions in the thread, that I was interested in (not necessarily mine).  

That is something I didn't notice. Have any questions at all been answered from the question thread?

Well why can't players craft T6 and gun part's. Or the devs just favour the impatient player base? By doing that it levels the scales.

Sorry if this has been answered before, i take breaks from soical media and forms for my own health lol

I'm almost done with watching the first stream, but I'm struggling a little bit with the following:

What's the defining feature for A19? I know previous Alpha's had many different big changes, but I can't seem to find much in A19 which causes me to go 'wow', if you know what I mean..

21 minutes ago, DaVegaNL said:

I'm almost done with watching the first stream, but I'm struggling a little bit with the following:

What's the defining feature for A19? I know previous Alpha's had many different big changes, but I can't seem to find much in A19 which causes me to go 'wow', if you know what I mean..

Well, read the first post in this thread and make up your own mind... everyone may like something different from each other. 🙂

10 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

When they showed the 4x4 right after the upgrade path for the motorcycle, was there any difference between the four images of the 4x4? Was it showcasing an upgrade path as well? Because maybe it's just me, but I noticed nothing different, even from the current model.

That's what I was saying... the first time I watched the stream live it was so quick I thought the 4x4 pictures were different, but when I went back to specifically look at them I noticed that sadly they are just the same concept art from different angles.

1 hour ago, DaVegaNL said:

What's the defining feature for A19?

It was the Junk Drone originally, at least for me. A19 was intended to be a small update where the devs wanted to switch from "slow but big" alpha updates to "small but frequent" ones. Somewhere along the way stuff got a bit bigger than they were expecting so it's taken longer than expected and even the Junk Drone might be pushed back

ATM I'd say A19 = Loot Ages + Tier 3 Guns + Lighting + HD Zombies being the main "theme" it's kind of disjointed

A20 seems like it's intended to be focused around Vehicles and Vehicle mods, perhaps really rudimentary bandit integration, like melee only ones? Vehicles are all I've really heard about for sure in A20

1 hour ago, Matt 1977 said:

Well why can't players craft T6 and gun part's. Or the devs just favour the impatient player base? By doing that it levels the scales.

T6 are place holder legendaries basically, which you generally can't craft in games. Now, why we have place holder legendaries when legendaries aren't ready is up for debate. I also agree about just making Legendaries tier 7 and letting players craft tier 6 stuff, because atm players not being able to craft tier 6 equipment is fairly silly.

Crafting is just kind of pointless anyway though, because you need so many points invested in otherwise terrible perks (well the weapon perks are okay on their own) and then you also need tons of  parts that you can't just make from the forge. So no matter what, you HAVE to build next to a trader and do quests.

IMO that's the weakest snag in the game's philosophy and why the game needs a Junk  Teleporter or something. Currently, you basically just can't build a base anywhere besides next to a trader, because questing and trader stock is like 99% of the end game and there's just no way to play without revolving around the traders, and building miles from the nearest trader is just playing life on hard mode for no reason

15 hours ago, Space4Ace said:

You mean Number Six or Caprica or "some other names" in Battlestar Galactica (2004 - 2009 TV series). The new stripper does remind me of her (good catch!).

As for Sharon Stone like someone said... Not so much!

Yes, the Number Six Cylon that was on Caprica and always wore the red dress.

1 hour ago, Matt 1977 said:

Sorry if this has been answered before, i take breaks from soical media and forms for my own health lol

They want people out looting. If you can craft parts and T6, why would you need to loot. Same reason they supposedly changed loot to not drop guns early in A19, so you will spend points to craft better items.

Thats what I got out of what MM said.

6 minutes ago, Dethar said:

They want people out looting. If you can craft parts and T6, why would you need to loot. Same reason they supposedly changed loot to not drop guns early in A19, so you will spend points to craft better items.

Thats what I got out of what MM said.

Well what if your not a looter. Your screwed over basically. 4 days out of 7 im around the my base. 

51 minutes ago, Matt 1977 said:

Well what if your not a looter. Your screwed over basically. 4 days out of 7 im around the my base. 

I am generally not a looter but I have found advantages in a crafting playstyle. I like to play a new save each time I die and I generally last a lot longer this way. I'm not pushing to level up and therefore keep the game stage quite low for the amount of days alive. By creating a constant income from growing  and crafting beverages, - blakstrap coffee, beer etc. I can get a lot  from trading without the need for killing. My base is setup to outsmart the zombies and kill only when necessary. If days alive is the only current goal then it works well. Self sufficiency suits the crafting playstyle and the survivor roleplay -trying to get by without the incessant shoot and loot. My time is invested in building a good base rather than a maxed character.

3 hours ago, Matt 1977 said:

21 skill points and the impatient player could craft endless tech 3 / QL 6 items until he got an exceptional roll as well.

With a maxed out weapon and weapon perk very little could touch said player.

So we don't really favour the impatient player because we intentionally do not allow that.

Thanks for the clarification guys. Yeah I went over the first post, but there's still not really much which makes me go 'wow', or things for which I want to start up the game again. I mean.. A few new books is nice. As is candy. Some new weapons too. They're all good and nice, but nothing major I would say? No offence meant, of course.

Yeah the ISS might be good!

I honestly don't like the sprites being constantly on on your HUD. If you have a bedroll and a drone and a junk turret and a bike etc. constantly on on your screen.. Does feel cheesy.

17 minutes ago, Gazz said:

21 skill points and the impatient player could craft endless tech 3 / QL 6 items until he got an exceptional roll as well.

With a maxed out weapon and weapon perk very little could touch said player.

So we don't really favour the impatient player because we intentionally do not allow that.

It kinda easy to get 21 levels quickly if you are playing Min/Max. I am glad that you have to find T6 weapons when you do its so good.

25 minutes ago, DaVegaNL said:

Thanks for the clarification guys. Yeah I went over the first post, but there's still not really much which makes me go 'wow', or things for which I want to start up the game again. I mean.. A few new books is nice. As is candy. Some new weapons too. They're all good and nice, but nothing major I would say? No offence meant, of course.

bro! my fave game ever is gonna be better. isnt that in itself awesome?

26 minutes ago, DaVegaNL said:

I honestly don't like the sprites being constantly on on your HUD. If you have a bedroll and a drone and a junk turret and a bike etc. constantly on on your screen.. Does feel cheesy.

Wellllllll this is what is been done to A19...........

Linear Lighting - Massive upgrade

PBR textures - Huge Upgrade
New Horizon Tech
New Fog Tech
New Textures/ Redone Textures

New ISS
Updated Zombies
New Weapons - Deesert Eagle, auto shot gun, Sniper, Iron Club and more

Redone Magnum, Wrench and Stone Axe
New POIs

Updated POIs
Candy
Vastly Updated AI
Swimming Zombies
New Bookshelves
Redone Cement Mixer
New Zombies - 19 of them

New Player Hand models
New Winter Trees
New Creepy Mannequins 
New Couch
New Freezers
New Drones
New Driver
New Beds
New Stone Axe
New Backpack
New Trader Jen
Rebalanced Game leveling
Much slower progression of game
Possible forest start
Reduced perk tree
Vomiting removed
Health + Stamina Bars
Changes to eating and drinking

Driving a vehicle consumes food

Sprite System

I am sure I am still missing stuff

1 hour ago, WarWren said:

I am generally not a looter but I have found advantages in a crafting playstyle. I like to play a new save each time I die and I generally last a lot longer this way. I'm not pushing to level up and therefore keep the game stage quite low for the amount of days alive. By creating a constant income from growing  and crafting beverages, - blakstrap coffee, beer etc. I can get a lot  from trading without the need for killing. My base is setup to outsmart the zombies and kill only when necessary. If days alive is the only current goal then it works well. Self sufficiency suits the crafting playstyle and the survivor roleplay -trying to get by without the incessant shoot and loot. My time is invested in building a good base rather than a maxed character.

This interests me. Care to share your base design?  If you have Videos etc posted perhaps share in the appropriate sub-forum, so as to not anger the gods.

1 hour ago, WarWren said:

Yea i play perma death with1/2xp on 60min days. 

51 minutes ago, DaVegaNL said:

Thanks for the clarification guys. Yeah I went over the first post, but there's still not really much which makes me go 'wow', or things for which I want to start up the game again.

It's not intended to have any big overhauls.

The goal is to finish things, flesh them out, polish, move on.

52 minutes ago, DaVegaNL said:

Well, the most "wow" feature is all over the place... they upgraded ALL textures in the game to PBR lighting leaping 7DTD into the modern era!

If that's not a WOW feature I don't know what you'd expect lol

Archived