Alpha 19 Dev Diary

madmole

5 hours ago, BobbyLee298 said:

If any of the Devs can answer this.

The issue i have with lights is when you walk away from them they get dimmer then turn off and as you walk closer they turn back on

Has this been fixed or improved?

Lights turn off for performance reasons. Lots of active lights decreases FPS.

In A19: Lights now use a priority system, so close lights are updated rapidly to reduce visible jumps in their intensity and range.

10 hours ago, Laz Man said:

More like...

oJJg5fz.gif

Lol nice.

10 hours ago, Demonoid74 said:

Did we have the same older brothers? lol 

We used to have BB gun wars , roman candle fights and used to smack each other with big wooden sticks with bicycle grips attached to them for swords lol...

That's just how kids rolled back in the day.

10 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Meanwhile in my childhood all we had were cap guns, which have since been banned. Lol Tree houses as well, on a side note.

According to my younger sibling, if you're in school and you're out on a hike with your class, the act of simply picking up a stick will get your parents called and the child sent home, with a possible suspension and staff meeting afterwards as well. At the rate we're going, simply looking at a stick will get you thrown in the slammer. Lol

I had a teacher who used the yard stick on kids fingers, hands, forearms etc if they pissed her off. One time she wrapped duct tape around this kids head about 3x to get him to stop talking in class.

I can confirm, older sisters will also beat the living crap out of you and hold you down and fart on you etc until you hit puberty and can over power them. Super vindictive and petty  too, the amount of random crap I was framed for is insane

6 hours ago, BobbyLee298 said:

If any of the Devs can answer this.

The issue i have with lights is when you walk away from them they get dimmer then turn off and as you walk closer they turn back on

Has this been fixed or improved?

That is how it is to save on performance. Lots of games do this, lights and shadows are expensive.

15 hours ago, Gazz said:

It's semi auto but... you can install more mods than in any other shotgun because you get all the ones affecting the feed mechanism and magazine.

Autofire + rate of fire combo if you want to go nuts. Or burst fire. With this one you can.

Having watched it in both dev streams shown thus far, while I initially agreed with the chat assessment in the first stream (seemed to fire slow), seeing it pretty much put down any zombies with 1-2 shots tops, even from 5ish blocks away...I was more impressed.  Eager to dive in and get some mods slapped onto one of those things along with all the good perks and armor mods to compliment it.

FWIW the rate of fire I was thinking/hoping for was akin to that of the auto shotgun from the first Turok game, if anyone recalls that.  Given how much damage it appears to be doing already, though...broken would barely describe it.

3 hours ago, MechanicalLens said:

Here's hoping for a Zamboni vehicle to be added to the game. ;) No, wait, not a Zamboni, a Zomboni. Trademark.

Anyway, awesome stream, can't wait for the next one.

Probably in 24 hours.

Sorry, plants vs zombies already beat you to that trademark lol...

14 hours ago, Kosmic Kerman said:

Concerning the question about corner blocks. I assume Gamida is asking about about corner blocks for "thin" blocks  (like wooden bars, wooden fences, poles, etc.). When you use these blocks to fill a corner, one block has to be inside the corner block area and the block for the other side of the corner has to be in another block area (or  on the outside). A lot of voxel/building games have corner blocks for walkways, railings, and thin walls.

Since A16, I've wanted a 2-angled plate for making thin walls so I didn't have to use the 2m arch for corners

4 hours ago, faatal said:

Lights turn off for performance reasons. Lots of active lights decreases FPS.

In A19: Lights now use a priority system, so close lights are updated rapidly to reduce visible jumps in their intensity and range.

Is the game using forward or deferred rendering here?

@Devs

I think, there are reasons why good model of weapons on the screen can look pathetic/bad:

ERyNkXQ.jpg

1. When the weapon is placed so that only the tip of the barrel or the front sight is visible from the entire weapon
2. When it takes up 90% of the screen space, or excessive magnification. (in reality - this is exactly the case, but it doesn't work in the game)
3. FOV like a keyhole.

2 hours ago, Kazgrel said:

Having watched it in both dev streams shown thus far, while I initially agreed with the chat assessment in the first stream (seemed to fire slow), seeing it (auto shotgun) pretty much put down any zombies with 1-2 shots tops, even from 5ish blocks away...I was more impressed.  Eager to dive in and get some mods slapped onto one of those things along with all the good perks and armor mods to compliment it.

The first showing was against soldiers (armored) and regular shells (very bad against armor).

Not the shotgun's fault. =P

The DPS of a pumpgun is already close to an M60... in the right situation. The auto shotgun achieves that in more situations.

And making it full auto from the get go? Why, that would be a terrible waste of an opportunity to make the burst/auto trigger groups really cool mods.

Gotta see the whole picture, not this one item in isolation. =P

5 hours ago, madmole said:

That is how it is to save on performance. Lots of games do this, lights and shadows are expensive.

Maybe ... is it possible switch to simple triangle lighting using the Gouraud method at the distance? (it was cheap earlier)

...I still dream of seeing lights at a distance.

42 minutes ago, Gazz said:

The first showing was against soldiers (armored) and regular shells (very bad against armor).

Not the shotgun's fault. =P

The DPS of a pumpgun is already close to an M60... in the right situation. The auto shotgun achieves that in more situations.

And making it full auto from the get go? Why, that would be a terrible waste of an opportunity to make the burst/auto trigger groups really cool mods.

Gotta see the whole picture, not this one item in isolation. =P

so an auto shotgun is a shotgun that allows a full auto mod to be attached to it?  Otherwise its similar to other shotguns?

If so, then making the Heavy Machine gun full auto from the get go seems like a missed opportunity for some really cool mods ;)

I haven´t seen anything but the new markers. One question: Are they able to beeing moded out?

I don´t get why you would ruin the immersion by those arcady ugly things. Pretty sure that could have been done waaay more decent. Not like a huge neon advertisment.

4 hours ago, n2n1 said:

@Devs

I think, there are reasons why good model of weapons on the screen can look pathetic/bad:

ERyNkXQ.jpg

1. When the weapon is placed so that only the tip of the barrel or the front sight is visible from the entire weapon
2. When it takes up 90% of the screen space, or excessive magnification. (in reality - this is exactly the case, but it doesn't work in the game)
3. FOV like a keyhole.

also, it is a stream. I know a good chunk of people play on like 1060 3gb and ryzen 2600 etc. But i play on 21:9 with supporting mods for max graphics at 50-60fps and let me say i think the gun would and WILL look WAY better on everyones own screen. You can easily tell quality is lacking just cause its a stream in general. Most people who stream arnt using 3000$+ rigs unless they are making money for streaming mostly

Also, Stream Recording link?

Archived